Founders Tour 2024 "Touring Cajun Country", Lafayette, La

Ron Sonnier

Hey guys, registration for Founders Tour 2024 is open and registration forms are available through the national office by contacting Pat Buckley. Dates are Sunday March 17th registration and opening banquet through Friday March 22nd and closing banquet. The hotel has booked and extra day Saturday 23rd for anyone wishing to spend an extra day in Cajun Country.  Looking forward to seeing y'all then.

Ron Sonnier

• Like 1

Just some thoughts…….…….I was considering this tour for a bunch of reasons. Trimacar made me aware of it.

I had to look up what cars are allowed on a Founders Tour. 1932-1999. Was considering running the 1934 Buick 56C.

With all due respect to history and tradition………..what in the hell is a 1932 and a 1999 automobile doing on the same tour? Maybe it’s time to split the Founders Tour into two or three  eras, yes…..I know…….easy to say, difficult to get accomplished. Quite simply this is a spread that really can’t be justified………and I’m not complaining for the sport of it. So a dual point updraft carburetor car with a crash box transmission is supposed to participate with a multi port injected 1999 Ferrari? 🤔

Maybe a tweak into an early/mid/late dates tour every other or third year? I can see the logic of defining the tour cars as carbureted and points? How do you do a tour book that’s fair to a 1932 V-8 Ford and a 1999 Hennessy Mustang? 

I’m fairly certain the guys with sports cars from the 90’s has no desire to tour with or behind a 1932 four cylinder 40mph car with mechanical brakes.

OK……..now it’s time to kick me in the behind for asking………..

I shall pass on this event………but would sure like to have considered it. Hope everyone has a great time……Ed.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 9

My first Founder's Tour was in 1994, driving our 1966 VW Bug. (28 year old VW)   Felt like I didn't belong there, but it was an antique and we had fun.

Later we went on tours where the Mercury Grand Marques showed ups with A/C, automatic. PS, PB Cruise Control and all the modern comforts when we were driving a stock 1934 Ford.   More and more old guys bought 25 year old luxury cars and left their old cars at home.   

I loved the 1928-1958 rule for the mid century Sentimental Tour, and still drove the 1934s.

When we lived in Florida, the shopping center parking lots were full of 25 year old cars with 85 to 95 year old driver's in their "Retirement Cars".   I'd rather see Resto-Mods than just used cars.

Edited by Paul Dobbin
re-positioned text (see edit history)

The 2023 tour was in our area. We went to see the cars. The only way we knew cars in the hotel parking lot were connected to the tour was by the out of province licence plate. There was no sense that they were on a tour with a club with Antique in its name. Think 1998 BMW etc. Heck, our kitchen egg beater is older than 90% of what was touring!

• Like 2

As someone that doesnt own an 'antique car', (mine is just pushing 50 years old) this is the 'elitist' attitude that bothers me the most about the AACA. Are my dues valued less than the person that owns a pre war car? There are many different aspects of this club to cater to a variety of vehicles. I like to drive more so than show, although I do enjoy that aspect as well. I would love to be able to participate in a 'tour'. If I am not mistaken there are brass only tours, glidden tours etc. that cater to a specific time frame. An all inclusive tour is fantastic in my opinion. Us mere mortals with 'used cars' enjoy driving them just the same and maybe even enjoy looking at and communicating with the operators of the older models. A general bonding so to speak with like minded people. BUT, this attitude is not very like minded. I do not think these tours are meant as a competition so whats the difference if a car has 300 hp compared to 30 hp? Having never participated in one, and seeing the above attitudes knowing that there is deep seeded animosity towards 'non-antique' cars I probably will not. But it does sound like fun.

TAKerry- no one made any negative comments about any cars………… the comment was the cars are so different they don’t belong together on a tour. Whatever floats your boat is fine with me, but the driving envelope of cars from 1932 and from 1999 are light years apart. Considering you can buy many pre-World War I cars for a fraction of the price of a decent 60’s mustang or Camero there is nothing elitist about it. Nobody said anything about membership or disparaged any other area of the club or car collecting. Me thinks you’re overly sensitive to a non issue. I’m fairly certain you don’t want to follow behind me on a 90 mile tour with your car while I am driving my 1915 Ford T. Let’s keep the comments on the subject at hand. Best, Ed.

PS- I’m thinking that the “only pre war guys” here make up less than ten percent of the membership. Not too sure how many post 1980 only members are here either. My best guess is the date ranges of 1948-1978 make up about 80 percent of the club.

• Like 4

I had my 1930 Cadillac on the Founders / London to Brighton tour in London this year. So it was passible to have a curved dash Olds if there was one on tour traveling with that 1998 BMW. 

As for the mix of 75 cars there I cannot think of anytime I was passed and being tied with the oldest car there. Only complaint I had was the over 150 mile days for the older cars so glad I left the 1912 T at home.  

As mentioned above about 70+ mph you are not seeing much of the countryside traveling an interstate. 

13 hours ago, playswithbrass said:

The 2023 tour was in our area. We went to see the cars. The only way we knew cars in the hotel parking lot were connected to the tour was by the out of province licence plate. There was no sense that they were on a tour with a club with Antique in its name. Think 1998 BMW etc. Heck, our kitchen egg beater is older than 90% of what was touring!

We drove that entire tour with our 1937 Buick Roadmaster Phaeton, and quite a few folks seemed to enjoy seeing her travel the highways and byways in and around the London area.

Despite the notable variation in years, we didn't feel out of place, and were able to keep pace. The more modern cars also kept (mostly) to the speed limits.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, edinmass said:

TAKerry- no one made any negative comments about any cars………… the comment was the cars are so different they don’t belong together on a tour. Whatever floats your boat is fine with me, but the driving envelope of cars from 1932 and from 1999 are light years apart. Considering you can buy many pre-World War I cars for a fraction of the price of a decent 60’s mustang or Camero there is nothing elitist about it. Nobody said anything about membership or disparaged any other area of the club or car collecting. Me thinks you’re overly sensitive to a non issue. I’m fairly certain you don’t want to follow behind me on a 90 mile tour with your car while I am driving my 1915 Ford T. Let’s keep the comments on the subject at hand. Best, Ed.

PS- I’m thinking that the “only pre war guys” here make up less than ten percent of the membership. Not too sure how many post 1980 only members are here either. My best guess is the date ranges of 1948-1978 make up about 80 percent of the club.

dfinetly sounds that way to me.

On 11/16/2023 at 7:03 PM, edinmass said:

Just some thoughts…….…….I was considering this tour for a bunch of reasons. Trimacar made me aware of it.

I had to look up what cars are allowed on a Founders Tour. 1932-1999. Was considering running the 1934 Buick 56C.

With all due respect to history and tradition………..what in the hell is a 1932 and a 1999 automobile doing on the same tour? Maybe it’s time to split the Founders Tour into two or three  eras, yes…..I know…….easy to say, difficult to get accomplished. Quite simply this is a spread that really can’t be justified………and I’m not complaining for the sport of it. So a dual point updraft carburetor car with a crash box transmission is supposed to participate with a multi port injected 1999 Ferrari? 🤔

Maybe a tweak into an early/mid/late dates tour every other or third year? I can see the logic of defining the tour cars as carbureted and points? How do you do a tour book that’s fair to a 1932 V-8 Ford and a 1999 Hennessy Mustang? 

I’m fairly certain the guys with sports cars from the 90’s has no desire to tour with or behind a 1932 four cylinder 40mph car with mechanical brakes.

OK……..now it’s time to kick me in the behind for asking………..

I shall pass on this event………but would sure like to have considered it. Hope everyone has a great time……Ed.

Explanation may be justified here, based upon historical data.

First - From the perspective of years not really mattering as much in 2024 -

We in Louisiana Region have been excruciately careful in staying off faster roads when and wherever plausible. We want you to enjoy our part of Cajun Country, and to Pass a Good Time with us. You'll be on lesser used back roads most of the time, despite being headquartered in Lafayette. Our five chapters will each host an easy day's drive to interesting venues, and we think you'll enjoy our food and music, as well. 

There was a time when the VMCCA Glidden Tour only accepted automobiles as new as 1935.

AACA and VMCCA both did not have a specific national tour for the later post-1935 car (considered "Used Cars") by some at that time, and still now by many.

VMCCA created their Chrome Glidden Tour - allowing cars newer than th 1935 Glidden Cutoff, but at least 25 years old.

AACA followed suite with our AACA FOUNDERS TOUR, first hosted by Ron & Sally Barnett in Huntsville, Alabama in 1988.

The Founders followed VMCCA's lead with specification of 1935 through 25 years old - allowing 1935 through 1963 vehicles for the 1988 tour.

Later, VMCCA allowed Glidden to accept vehicles through 1942 at the discretion of the tour chairperson, and , I believe, officially changed the years afterward to allow all pre-WWII, and AACA followed suite since the Glidden is owned by VMCCA.

AACA (as well as VMCCA Chrome) continued the 25 year old rule since that time, so by 2024, vehicles as late as 1999 models are legal.

Further personal comments -

While several folks love the Sentimental Tour, many others (and I personally) believe it was always a tour for an era which was never really needed.

The late Earl Beauchamp was never shy, specifically with his creation of the Sentimental tour as "His Own Legacy". He first created a Divisional tour covering 1928-1954 vehicles, but soon, at the request of a friend who had later cars, had the Sentimental expanded and authorized as a National Tour for 1928-1958 vehicles, again as his legacy.

VP-Touring Committee Chairperson, and later AACA National President created the Vintage tour as an "Intimate" and smaller tour for pre-1928 vehicles.

Her specific intent was that there were more than enough tours specific to the Model-A, and extending the years would result in being overwhelmed with faster Model-A Fords.

Later, the Founders was pushed earlier to include Post-Model-A as 1932 and newer but 25 years old.

Vintage crept up to include 1931 as pre-Founders.

Now we have a mish-mash,

... but a similar scenario exists on Glidden, as well. -

We see One and Two cylinder cars with their own special route, Model-Ts putter along in long lines blocking traffic with some refusing to pull over to allow modern traffic to pass. Others in late '30s and early 1940s Packards, Buicks, Cadillacs travel effortlessly at highway speeds-

so the issue is not unique to Founders Tour. 

Yes, there are wide differences in the years eligible for this tour -

- but whatever you have, we believe you can share the road with us, and let the discussion of tour years creep take place separately.

Lessez le Bon Temps Rouller !

Let The Good Times Roll !

• Like 1

Several years ago I took my 1929 Cadillac on a large tour that was open to a wide spread of cars like this. I wasn't the oldest, but I was certainly one of them. And I have to admit it was not much fun. Every tour stop, we arrived just in time to see most of the guys already rolling out and felt that we had to cut our visit short to keep up. We arrived last for meals and got last choice of seating and food. Although we left first most mornings, we were frequently passed along the way and often felt like a rolling road block as the newer cars backed up behind us, begging for the chance to pass. I pulled over once in a while just to let them past, further slowing us down.

That's the problem Ed is describing. It isn't the fault of the guys who own the newer cars, but it really sucks trying to force an old car to keep up with them. No fun at all, and I'm pretty sure most of them didn't even notice how much it sucked for us in the slower cars. Not their fault, but it's bad planning to make cars with that wide a performance differential follow the same route and timetable.

• Like 7

Wow. Most of the comments lack common sense.  I organized the Buick Club of America (BCA) Pre War Division post National tour in 2010.   We had modern cars in the tour but the Slowest car went 1st. That ensures that what was described in the beginning of this thread does not happen. 

Edited by B Jake Moran (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have probably toured more than 99.5 percent of anyone else.  Matt is right on with his comments. I’m not asking for special accommodations or considerations. What I am saying is I won’t participate because of the years of included cars. That’s fine. I’m a big boy. Also, most of my stuff is much faster than 90 percent of the similar era cars. And driving with new cars just isn’t reasonable. 

• Like 2

On the 2008 Sentimental Tour, I received the youngest driver award and I was also driving the oldest car on the tour. I was driving a 1929 Ford Model A Phaeton. The Sentimental Tour is open to cars from 1928 to 1958. I had a great time on the tour, although the 90 plus degree weather was a bit hot for a guy in a Model A Ford. My wife's disability has progressed to the point that I have not been able to tour as much as I would like in recent years. As the folks that do a lot of touring tend to get older, a lot of them no longer want to trailer their cars so many of them are buying "newer" antique cars that they can drive to tour locations and then tour with. In my experience, most of the AACA touring enthusiasts have a great time together, no matter what year of cars they are driving. They are friendly and I have never felt like the year of car that I was driving was a problem.

I have hosted a couple of AACA tours as well as some 36-38 Buick Club tours. The last AACA tour that I hosted was probably my last tour that I hosted that will be open to all ages of cars. Our local traffic has just become too congested for some of the older less powerful cars to enjoy driving in this area. We had one very early Buick on the last AACA tour that I hosted and the driver told me that there were two points on the tour that they did not enjoy. One was a metal bridge grating that was not very well suited to their skinny tires, and one was a highway ramp that was difficult to get a break in traffic at their slow speeds. Both of those roadway elements were unavoidable in the tour planning, being in a small coastal county located between a river and a beach.  I think that the traffic in some areas might be a problem for some years of car, and that might make people uncomfortable, but the spread of the years of cars on a particular tour should not really be that much of a problem, as long as the tour routes are chosen to be appropriate for the earlier cars. I think that if early car driver's don't enjoy a tour, it is not because of newer cars participating but that the routes were not designed properly for those early cars.

• Like 2

I apologize for stirring the pot, and certainly so if I came off harsh. I hope all that participate in the upcoming tour have a great time, it sounds like a lot of fun, but out of my geographic 'soft spot'. 

I am sure like a lot of things, organizing this is a nightmare that I would not want to take on alongside of a full time job. I thought maybe there could be a 'handicap' system to let the cars start on a staggered basis dependent upon decade of car etc. But Matt H. brings up a valued point.

• Like 1

It seems to me that determining the perfect early-year cutoff for a tour is impossible. The drivability difference between my '30 Buick and '39 LaSalle is huge. In my opinion, the advancements made during the 30s were the biggest in the evolution of the automobile. Picking the "sweet spot" is dependent on what manufacturer you're considering and the owners' willingness to push hard. I'd rather see the AACA error on the side of allowing cars that might be too slow then excluding cars that are more than adequate. Let the owner decide if it's appropriate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, TAKerry said:

I apologize for stirring the pot, and certainly so if I came off harsh. I hope all that participate in the upcoming tour have a great time, it sounds like a lot of fun, but out of my geographic 'soft spot'. 

I am sure like a lot of things, organizing this is a nightmare that I would not want to take on alongside of a full time job. I thought maybe there could be a 'handicap' system to let the cars start on a staggered basis dependent upon decade of car etc. But Matt H. brings up a valued point.   

" I thought maybe there could be a 'handicap' system to let the cars start on a staggered basis dependent upon decade of car etc " 

Thanks, but yes, that is precisely the intent of a tour, at least where I come from - not handicapped,- not required - but suggested in most cases.

1.     We don't travel as a parade

2.     Each participant has a full document for each day's itinerary - travel at your own pace !

A.     All distances are noted

1.    Interim distances between instructions, turns, points of interest

2.    Times for venues, including coffee breaks, meals, planned stops for museums, collections, any other items of interest

3.     No participant needs to rush to "keep up"

4.     Each vehicle is encouraged to travel at their own pace.

5.     Each vehicle is advised to depart at a self-chosen (or possibly suggested) time, allowing safe and comfortable driving to each venue

6.     We're there to enjoy both the venues - and the drive

If the tour which caused you grief was not done this way, the folks who planned it need to be advised how to improve, at least in my less-than-humble opinion.

My clubs and I have laid out many tours and not had the type of complaints noted here.

It takes planning, a bit of experience, and a bunch of consideration, as well as allowing for the unexpected - but can be done.

• Like 3

One of the reasons for the wide range of vehicles is to improve the economic viability of individual tours.  As our members and their wives age many do not wish to drive the "Old Stuff".  Many are limited by medical conditions.  Lets face it touring with fellow AACA members is a social event for most of us regardless of what you are driving.  If you are able to tow across the country for two of three days with your dually and enclosed trailer enjoy it as long as you can.  As I age and my medical conditions progress I will be driving modern on most tours until I am no longer welcome.

It would be more work for the tour hosts, but separate routes could be planned for pre-'36 and post-'36 vehicles.  (It seems to me that there were big performance strides made during the 1930s.)  Anyway, whatever the breakpoint (it could even be driver's choice), a shorter route with smaller grades and less traffic (if possible) could still result in similar point-to-point elapsed times.  As with virtually everything, I don't think it's possible to please everyone all of the time...

Edited by EmTee
typo (see edit history)

One thing that's not been mentioned is the ability to attend a tour as a passenger. You can pre arrange a spot in a friend's back seat, or just register and catch a ride when you get there. Although driving your own car is ideal, there is no reason you still can't be part of the fun.  

Terry

• Like 4

There are different types of tours and different clubs tend to do things differently. For example, on 36-38 Buick Club tours the groups on the tour are smaller and all of the cars are similar and people all tend to stay together in a group and go everywhere together as a group. Only the lead car driver really needs to know the route because everybody else just follows along. At the venues, everybody stays until the slowest one is finished and then all go on to the next venue as a group. That took me a while to get used to since I was used to AACA touring. 

In AACA Touring,  everybody has a set of directions. Everybody is encouraged to go on your own at your own pace. In my experience, there are multiple purposes or benefits of touring. First is to enjoy the drive or ride in your car on a scenic route. The route is not expected to be a race from point A to point B. It is a drive to be enjoyed. Second, is to enjoy what the various venues have to offer. Third, is  to enjoy meeting old friends and enjoying time together at venues and at meals. And last, to enjoy time with both old and new friend back at the host hotel. Many conversations, happen in the hotel lobby, around the pool, in the parking lot looking at cars, while tinkering on cars, and while just admiring the various cars that others brought to the tour. The social aspect of the tour, both formal and informal cannot be overstated.  

• Like 1

We've been on a few big tours too.  Although logistics can be a challenge, experienced organizers can stagger events and tour stops so nothing is too overwhelming. 

Terry

13 hours ago, Terry Bond said:

One thing that's not been mentioned is the ability to attend a tour as a passenger. You can pre arrange a spot in a friend's back seat, or just register and catch a ride when you get there. Although driving your own car is ideal, there is no reason you still can't be part of the fun.  

Terry

Bingo ! 

Terry, you and I, and many others generally offer a back seat to “hoppers”, and sometimes we may have a need for a visiting navigator, as well 

10 hours ago, Marty Roth said:

Bingo ! 

Terry, you and I, and many others generally offer a back seat to “hoppers”, and sometimes we may have a need for a visiting navigator, as well 

When I first joined AACA and became 'active' I was lucky enough to have a tour in my area. It was for the eastern shore of the Ches. bay. I inquired about the logistics only to find that I was too late, registration was full. Mary Roth was generous enough to reach out via telephone and offered a seat in his car so that I could join along with the fun. Unfortunately I wasnt able to work it out on my end after all, but still greatly appreciate his effort.

It made an impression on me, everytime I see one of Marty's posts, I think of that act of kindness.

• Thanks 1

In the Pierce Arrow Society, it’s club policy to fill every seat for the tours with people who didn’t bring a car. 100 point show cars are exempt. After only a few years, it went from controversial to accepted across the board. I have sold no less than three Pierce cars to strangers who drove along with us………one the actual car we were using at the meet. Half way through the first days tour, he bought the car…….and we became passengers. Great fun, and we now have a new car buddy who lives close by to us. Sharing your car is the best dividend you can get on your investment.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1