How do you store your sockets?

Angelfish

I still have the old socket rails from when I had a soft sided tool bag under the seat of the truck.   I've moved on to a more permanent location and it would be nice to have the sockets easy to hand and not have to pry them off the rail with a screw driver, or to have them fall off the rail and roll deep under the work bench.

The ones I bought as a complete set are still on the rails and are in drawers in my tool box. Many I bought at yard sales or found in the road and they are just loose in the drawers.The regular sockets are standing on end,the deep ones are rolling around in the drawer.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hoo boy. I have:

•metal clip socket rails, some with handles, some without including one that has rails/clips for 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 drive.

•plastic magnet mount socket rails that you turn the socket 1/4 turn to lock or unlock it on the rail (I like these a lot)

•magnetized holders that you lay the sockets in

•plastic socket rails with a size index and spikes that they stand up on

•blow-molded cases that sockets can be stored standing up and laying down

•a plastic plate that has sized and indexed holes in it to store them standing up

and I STILL have sockets laying around loose in the drawers!☺️

Never mind I'm known to buy another socket rail or two when Harbor Freight has a sale, which anymore seems to be every week.

I'll give it to them. They have some neat tool storage gadgets.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Kinda liking these.

I have issues with trying to stick the sockets onto those spring loaded racks.

These are magnetic so the rack sticks in place in the top box and the sockets are held magnetically as well.

Shown with Craftsman SAE sockets, Craftsman doesn't make the sockets that would fill the extra spaces. 

I got these from Amazon. I also got the Metric rack. 

I think I will buy another set for the six points.

These are all 1/4 drives, I might just have to step up to the 3/8 and 1/2s sometime soon as well.

IM005233.JPG

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Notice the "wobble" extensions in Ed's top picture. I'm convinced those are one of the single best tool inventions of all time. Beats the life out of monkeying with a flex or u-joint and a socket.

At one time the only place you could find wobbles was a cheap-imported-tools sale. Then the better tool companies figured out they were a great idea.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I use the socket rails in a well organized Husky 4 drawer cabinet but I still have misc old misfits (but could be useful) sockets in 2 cheap Home Depot tool boxes (1 labeled US and 1 labeled Metric).  I rarely use them, but when I need to, I am glad I didn't pitch them.

• Like 1

The shop I used to work at, some of the tools were in different drawers then how mine have been for many years, I kept opening the wrong drawer.

My socket storage system is; how close to last time I organized them it is, Re how neat the drawer looks. :)

• Like 1

Glenn and I must have gone to the same school..... I have sockets everywhere.    Because I work on smaller stuff a lot, there is a plastic tote with nothing but 1/4 drive sockets, drivers, etc. 

Here is a holder I made for 3/8 & 1/2 extensions....not to be organized, but so I could find them.     Note the well organized tools behind the extensions. 

IMG_0907.jpg

• Like 4

4 hours ago, edinmass said:

Here is my small box set up. 

439F3F9C-530E-495B-B73C-C09C3955286F.jpeg

B7C98A18-EEAF-4B5E-B0C8-9AA27E0FEB86.jpeg

Showoff!!!!;);)

How are my tools/sockets organized/stored?

Some in 5 gallon buckets.

Some on a shelf.

Some on the ground.

Some in tool boxes (about 10 tool boxes)

Some in the car I am working on.

So I would say mine are not "stored" or "organized" properly. But guess what?????

I pretty much know where to find them when I go to look for them !!!!!!!

If I was to "store" or "organize" my tools I would "lose" most of them.......

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Ernst!

This 1/2" drive twist to remove rail allows me to carry Snap-On impact sockets without them falling off, and a simple twist removes them, can be done one handed. They have all three size drives, single rails, two rails, three rails, etc. and several colors in case you like to organize metric vs SAE by color.

https://www.ernstmfg.com/8402-18-socket-organizer-w/twist-lock-clips-red-1/2.aspx

Sure, they look like the push on/push off of other brands, but I like these. Ernst makes them too.

I like the magnetic style Jack showed for 1/4" drive in the house garage toolbox. 

Hey, I had tools in three different locations at one time when in the collision business, so now I have at least three locations at the house basement/house garage/garage/car kit/larger car kit...... Ahhhhhhh!

I do like the old Craftsman/Wright/SK flip style metal holders, especially for deep well. Haven't seen them for sale even with sockets in 40 years.

OT: If you have one or two sets of combination wrenches, the Ernst wrench rails that are magnetic work nice. You can adjust them to fit your wrench widths, unlike the sticky tape ones that do not allow repositioning. I have NEVER found a combination wrench carrier that works to my liking. EIther the wrenches fall out while carrying the holder or it takes two or more hands to remove one wrench. The cheap plastic holder that Snap-On wrenches came in is OK, cheap, guy at work threw them in the trash when he bought the wrenches, and I just have to keep it upright when carrying it. 😆

Edited by Frank DuVal (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I still use my tool trays with the divider for most of my sockets and most the rest of my tools. some chaos does exist with my method. definitely not professional (but then again I am not professional.)

On 4/17/2023 at 1:17 PM, rocketraider said:

Hoo boy. I have:

•metal clip socket rails, some with handles, some without including one that has rails/clips for 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 drive.

•plastic magnet mount socket rails that you turn the socket 1/4 turn to lock or unlock it on the rail (I like these a lot)

•magnetized holders that you lay the sockets in

•plastic socket rails with a size index and spikes that they stand up on

•blow-molded cases that sockets can be stored standing up and laying down

•a plastic plate that has sized and indexed holes in it to store them standing up

and I STILL have sockets laying around loose in the drawers!☺️

Never mind I'm known to buy another socket rail or two when Harbor Freight has a sale, which anymore seems to be every week.

I'll give it to them. They have some neat tool storage gadgets.

I like the plastic socket rails with a size index and spikes that they stand up on, but I have to ignore the size listings.   The only have one socket 

pin for eac size and who owns or uses only one of each size?   I have two SAE, and Metric in 1/2, 3/8 & 1/4 all in the top open section of several        tool boxes.  

Where did yo find this kind????  "plastic magnet mount socket rails that you turn the socket 1/4 turn to lock or unlock it on the rail (I like these a       lot)"   ME TOO.

I already answered the question, ERNST!

https://www.amazon.com/Ernst-Manufacturing-18-Inch-Magnetic-Organizer/dp/B0060M66BO?th=1

They have both magnetic mount and non-magnetic mount 1/4 turn holders.

Or do you mean where to find the pin type trays? I like those too. Harbor Freight, Lowes, Gear Wrench, etc. all have some for sale.

The pin type is for taking the sockets from the tool box to the work, so you should only need one size at a time (usually, not always!). The issue with these is needing a deep drawer to hold them. The rail type holder can lay down in a shallower drawer.

• Like 1

Here's Harbor Freight version of the twist-lock rail. Available in 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 drive. Magnet mount or can be screwed on.70014_W3.jpg

I've seen the Ernst rails at Northern Tool.

3 hours ago, Paul Dobbin said:

I like the plastic socket rails with a size index and spikes that they stand up on, but I have to ignore the size listings.   The only have one socket pin for eac size and who owns or uses only one of each size?

That's so you'll buy more.😃

I have S&K sets that are in metal boxes they came in. A 1/4 set, A 3/8th set, and a 1/2 inch set. I find that these travel well as also handy around the shop. Those are my go to sets for most things. A lot of big sockets (3/4 and 1 inch drive) that I don't use often are in 5 gallon buckets. I used one a while back that is 2-7/8th inch for my model 12 Cat road grader rear wheel nuts.  

• Like 2

63 years ago Christmas,  my wife to be gave me a Craftsman 1/2 & 3/8 in a metal tool box and............  it is still working as intended and I don't think a single socket is missing.  

And I still have the same woman,  however she is not in great condition.  

march 24 2023.jpg

• Like 7

I like the plastic tray with the posts best. Because they are the quickest and easiest to grab a socket from and put it back, yet space efficient.  I have the US sockets in the top of the tool cabinet for quick access. The hated metrics go in a deep drawer. For swivel sockets that won't fit on a post, I use the metal rails.   I also paint all my sockets in a color code for quick, easy ID with my old eyes.

socket-organizer-trays-.jpg

• Like 2

On 4/20/2023 at 3:24 PM, Hemi Joel said:

I also paint all my sockets in a color code for quick, easy ID with my old eyes.

Reminds me of one of the young mechanics at powerplant. He had good quality tools that were always sprouting legs.

He finally painted them Barbie Pink and never had another problem with people "borrowing" tools. Smart boy.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, EmTee said:

I have a couple of my father's old Thorsen socket sets.

The old Southern States Co-Op farm store here sold Thorsen tools. I'd go in there with my dad and slobber over them, but genuine US made Thorsen were a little out of my teenage price range.

Mr Cassada who ran it had a soft spot for young people and loved seeing them succeed. I was friends with his boys, and Mr C sold me a lot of those nice Thorsen tools at cost. I have never forgotten his encouragement and kindness.

• Like 1

speaking of quality tools lol.....i flew to buy a car and drive home ......and had to do a few small repairs....so i went to a store that sold cheap tools,I chose the cheapest socket set and other tools just to get by on the road,it was metric and standard socket set in plastic tray........i ended up bumping the tray off the car and the sockets went everywhere......when i picked them up to put back in the tray ......i noticed right off that each did not have the size marked on them lol......then as i tried them for size not knowing which was metric or standard and finally used one the metal was soft and twisted.

That's how they sold them cheap!😃

I bought a set of four stubby screwdrivers once that was the same way. A cheap "emergency" kit to have in the car.

First time I tried to turn a Phillips screw the flutes on the screwdriver bit disintegrated. I don't think the stuff even qualified as pot metal.

HaHa, I have a few sets of those cheap tools in several of my cars.

I like to fly and drive and one of my first stops will be a Walmart or the likes for the twenty dollar cheepo tool kit. Cheaper than checked baggage.

They only need to be successful once to make it worthwhile.

Fact is I am going on one of those adventures next week. I will report back when/if I make it home.

Edited by JACK M (see edit history)
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, 31nash880 said:

Best money I spent on sockets. Was always loosing. Tool man showed up one day at the shop and I said sold.

This was over 35 years ago and still have most.

20230424_160234.jpg

SK is pretty good stuff, I have a couple of SK socket sets that came in a metal box.

The problem is with the plastic liner. If you work out of those metal boxes every day the liner eventually dissenagrates.

• Thanks 1

I toured an Air National Guard maintenance facility years ago and about the only thing I remember is their socket tool holder.  It was like a shadow box and at a glance you could see which sockets/tools were missing.  For obvious reasons when working on an F15 knowing all the tools were put away was a great idea.  I have never seen this system for sale to the public, but it sure made it easy to keep track of your sockets.

Flight line tool boxes typically have instant tool inventory check. You do not want to leave your  wrench in the turbine and have the jet crash with your name engraved on the wrench.🙁 The foam cutout for every tool is most common.

https://www.redboxaviation.com/product/rbi9200c-workshop-cabinet-with-tools-imperial-kit-includes-243-tools/

The foam cut out drawers are nice for keeping track and finding that 9/16 socket, but harder to carry the whole set to the working area.

There are Pelican cases with removeable drawers having the foam cutouts.

https://www.tools-giant.com/item.php?id=98853904&lang=en&curr=USD&ref=froogleus&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIpaGup-jQ_gIV7O7jBx2GUwiNEAQYAiABEgKoC_D_BwE

Still not as handy as the tray with the pegs in the home garage. Or the Ernst rails.

Jack, you sound like my grandpa, he could do anything but never worried about storing his tools.  I have a workbench where I place all my tools that I have been using until the time I can put them where they belong.  Kind of a compromise, I guess.

On 4/29/2023 at 7:40 AM, stretch cab said:

I toured an Air National Guard maintenance facility years ago and about the only thing I remember is their socket tool holder.  It was like a shadow box and at a glance you could see which sockets/tools were missing.  For obvious reasons when working on an F15 knowing all the tools were put away was a great idea.  I have never seen this system for sale to the public, but it sure made it easy to keep track of your sockets.

Friend of mine was an airframe / power plant mechanic.  He said at A&P school they told the students never to mark their tools, if it showed up in an engine later on you didn't want your name on it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1