Have you seen this electrified Buick?

1 hour ago, George Smolinski said:

They ruined that car didn’t they?

I would not say that, it's still a 1963 Buick.  Probably more interesting now than the 5000 pound sled it started out as.   I bet it will be the most looked at and questioned 63 Buick

where ever it;s shown.   Just won't win any AACA Awards.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Paul Dobbin said:

I would not say that, it's still a 1963 Buick.  Probably more interesting now than the 5000 pound sled it started out as.   I bet it will be the most looked at and questioned 63 Buick

where ever it;s shown.   Just won't win any AACA Awards.

May win a few drag races.

Besides, that is a car most on here would deride as a "mordoor" and would not have.

Ben

Ben

• Like 4

Kinda on the fence. I dont hate the idea of  putting an electric motor in the car. Some of the body mods are well......... Not crazy about the extended kick panel, and the whole big wheels lowered look thing is kinda played out in my eyes. I have said before, I am not really a motor guy, I like cars for what they are. IF I could put an electric in my T/A, keep the same performance (most likely better, lol) same appearance and not think about getting 12 mpg I would be all over it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

They ruined it with the modern interior.  Only original parts inside are the famous GM chrome paddle handles on the doors.  They also could have kept the original chrome power window switches to balance the effect.  

Craig

Im ok with upgrading the interior, after all theres not much left of the original car, some of it looks good but the dash is too 'new' looking. I think with the amount of work that went into it, they could have done something a bit more in keeping with the age of the car. Although for a custom interior it looks similar to what almost all other custom interiors are today. I suppose its akin to the velour interiors that everyone was putting into Model A hot rods in the 80's.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, TAKerry said:

Not crazy about the extended kick panel, and the whole big wheels lowered look thing is kinda played out in my eyes.

I don't believe the car is lowered from stock at all.  What makes it look that way is the lowered rocker panel between the front & rear wheels to hide the battery pack under the floor.

Craig

• Like 1

Not a fan at all.

And their attention to detail has me wonder what else is just slapped together on the car.

The charge port shows screws and hardware that is already starting to corrode and the screws aren't even all flush or aligned properly.

Screenshot-2023-03-15-at-9.53.06-AM.png?

11 hours ago, zepher said:

Not a fan at all.

And their attention to detail has me wonder what else is just slapped together on the car.

The charge port shows screws and hardware that is already starting to corrode and the screws aren't even all flush or aligned properly.

Screenshot-2023-03-15-at-9.53.06-AM.png?

You would think these electric geeks could wire the door to open at the push of a button, save the chipped finger nails as well. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/22/2023 at 10:20 PM, 1937hd45 said:

You would think these electric geeks could wire the door to open at the push of a button, save the chipped finger nails as well. 

Driver:  Stand CLEAR!! Then punches a button on the key fob.  Fuel door swings open in .5seconds or less.

Fuel Door:  Is that fast enough?

------------------

When I saw that on the Mecum website, with the mention that it had been electrified, that's as far as I went.  Seems like it sold for $80K?

I could do without the ultra-tall wheels, preferring something more like 17" VN-501s or similar Magnum 500s.  Or the large vintage wheels, with simulated whitewalls, that will take a 15" wheelcover (saw them on something recently, online).

No doubt the "generic" custom interiors are neat and take some doing to produce ($$$$), but that does not give them  more credibility than some factory-style buckets and an "operating console" (full length), with a GM tilt wheel, to me.  Same amount of money (or less) for a better-looking outcome.  BUT, no doubt, the ultimate buyer is somebody who might like what's in it now?

I'm not against such conversions, just that they REMOVE some of the reasons we like the cars to start with . . . how they sound and feel.  Rather than a modern vehicle cloaked in vintage sheet metal.

Wonder if the government EV purchase rebates apply to converted vehicles?

NTX5467

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I personally would love to electrify an older car, although, the appearance would need to be more stock, especially the interior.  The dash and wheel are a huge part of the experience for me.  I think an older truck lends itself better as you can create a false floor in the bed to hide batteries.

• Like 2