The Unrestored Car Appreciation Thread

1 hour ago, Fordy said:

Restored is not original by any spin that gets put on it. Here in Australia there are locally built muscle cars from the 60's and 70's getting the full workover as they used to be flogged to death and rusted out so few actually "survived". Until 10 - 15 years ago they had little real value. The work getting done is normally to very high standards and to the extreme in detail such as paint daubs replicating factory inspection marks etc. This is because the few cars left started to be worth some serious coin and junkers got pulled out of sheds and "restored to completely original". 

Now a genuine vehicle, no major accident damage that has been repaired with original factory parts and had them painted to match the existing just may fall into the category of "original", but it has had some restoration in having a fender replaced etc. Mechanical repairs and servicing using factory spares maintains originality but the moment that an aftermarket panel is fitted or the brakes get upgraded from drums to disks or it gets a bigger carb and headers - you cannot call it original.

Neither is a car that has had new floors and sills, replacement door skins and fenders ever going to be original. Great that they are being saved and they deserve to be but they should not be misrepresented as to past history.

Tires are another issue - if the car came with Firestones that are no longer available and is now fitted with the equivalent Goodrich - is it still original. In intent yes but reality no sadly.

"restored to original specifications" is still not in my books an original car.

Yup. You got it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fordy said:

Restored is not original by any spin that gets put on it. Here in Australia there are locally built muscle cars from the 60's and 70's getting the full workover as they used to be flogged to death and rusted out so few actually "survived". Until 10 - 15 years ago they had little real value. The work getting done is normally to very high standards and to the extreme in detail such as paint daubs replicating factory inspection marks etc. This is because the few cars left started to be worth some serious coin and junkers got pulled out of sheds and "restored to completely original". 

This also applies to muscle cars in North America.  Paint daubs, inspection stickers, chalk marks, date-coded hoses and proper clamps and fasteners, etc.

Craig

• Like 2

I've posted this '40 Packard Business Coupe before but I think it rates a reappearance on this thread. It had an amateur paint job many years ago which, if nothing else, helped preserve it. The wheels were restored before new tires were installed. The running board rubber is new. Upholstery is original. It has 46500 original miles. I'm the third owner in 83 years.

Restoring Packard wheels 003.JPG

40 Packard interior (Nov 11).jpg

• Like 10

This is my 1978 GMC Caballero which I bought new. The cap was added mere months after i bought it. It was handy for protecting swap meet purchases. Apart from the modular chrome wheels (bought in 1983 to replace the detested wire wheel covers) and the addition of a Diablo front spoiler, it has mostly original paint ,original drivetrain (305 auto),and interior. The first photo shows it new. The second is a recent photo taken in the same spot.

1978 GMC Caballero as purchased.JPG

1978 GMC Caballero 40 years later 001.JPG

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, J.H.Boland said:

This is my 1978 GMC Caballero which I bought new. The cap was added mere months after i bought it. It was handy for protecting swap meet purchases. Apart from the modular chrome wheels (bought in 1983 to replace the detested wire wheel covers) and the addition of a Diablo front spoiler, it has mostly original paint ,original drivetrain (305 auto),and interior. The first photo shows it new. The second is a recent photo taken in the same spot.

1978 GMC Caballero as purchased.JPG

1978 GMC Caballero 40 years later 001.JPG

Those Wire type hubcaps are on my 82 Riv Convertible. When I first got it, driving at low speeds I could hear a creaking noise. It took a bit to realise it was the hubcaps.

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I am posting with some trepidation because I really think it is more of an accomplishment with a prewar or at least significantly older car and these cars, like Porsche, Corvette, etc. are around in "all original condition" 

That said we have 125k on the clock, paint is 100% original as is everything cosmetic except wheels  (we wanted original mb finish, ours were toast due to mb brake dust, so Mrs. Mack found 3 new wheels from three other cars that were parted out, they were the wheels for the spare tires, & a decent used one) and seats, also original mb from a wrecked 20,000 mile  Signalred/palomino interior car.  If I didn't disclose that I cannot imagine even the most expert person would know that.  We want to keep it original, it is not not perfect but pretty good. 

Best compliment on this car was from a guy with a 10,000 - 12,000 mile example at an event a few years ago.  Circled our car 2, 3 times, pointed his out, and said "they really don't look all that different" 😁  

You see a lot of 70s, some 80s mb with original paint, it's rugged and cleans up well.  Even red...  ours was last year for single stage and it's pretty thick.

FB_IMG_1537716637903.jpg

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)
  • Like 8

first pic ,100% original we got from elderly daughter and the car was in garage approx 86 year,even the canvass roof is original,the car was advertised for $3500. and my bud who has a heart of gold wanted it ,we rushed to the city to buy it .......and the sweet old lady said there it is ...is it ok ? with her daughter there also ..... we couldnt believe it .....and my friend said 'I will buy it from you mam ,and i just have to go to the bank'.......i thought this was strange as i knew he had the $3500 on him......we went out to the truck and my bud said " i cant steal the car off her" .........and he went to the bank and got $12,000 cash for her.

the other pics are a few originals just getting a little freshen up without restoring

2015-04-01 20.20.53.jpg

2015-04-01 20.21.18.jpg

2015-04-01 20.21.53.jpg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

I bought my 1980 Plymouth Volare in 2007 with 8500 miles on it from a friend of the original owners. The wife was still alive in a nursing home at the age of 97 at the time.  I drove it from Cincinnati back to north of Chicago with four badly out of round tires.  I had to replace many small parts and hoses from sitting unused for so long. It spent most of its life in a heated garage.  I did fix a few areas I noticed that the factory did the usual crappy 70’s and 80’s assembly on. Missing areas of paint and undercoating. Now has about 32,000 miles and still is mostly factory original parts even the front brake pads(though the rears wore out at about 20,000 or so). It is still my major spring, summer, fall driver unless my wife is going. She has to have air conditioning and as a “loss leader” that it doesn’t have.

A8C8193F-784B-4FDA-AAB9-24EBCB5F4E61.jpeg

678B26AF-A4AF-4C61-AABF-0DFA7E57506F.jpeg

Edited by plymouthcranbrook (see edit history)
  • Like 7

39 minutes ago, arcticbuicks said:

some more random pics of originals we gathered up ,that i do not think at this point should be restored,weathered and patina 

2015-04-01 12.07.20.jpg

2015-04-01 12.47.28.jpg

2015-04-01 12.13.29.jpg

2015-04-01 12.13.22.jpg

Those are nice finds ! I love that  pickup conversion and do you have photos of the '25 (?) Buick lurking in the back ?

Edited by J.H.Boland (see edit history)

This is the 1924 Cadillac we purchased in 2019. It was originally sold in St Catharines, Ontario and as far as we can determine, it was owned by one family since new.

Three fenders appear to have been repainted. The original 23" wheels were replaced with 20" diameter wheels after WWII because 35 x 5 tires could not be purchased in Canada.

At a recent Cadillac-LaSalle meet, the judging team was confident that the body paint and the interior were original.

It had about 82,000 miles on the odometer when we bought it.

All of the wood is original.

The original top covering is in place, but it was covered by a layer of aluminum roofing sheeting. Removing the aluminum and replacing the original top material is on my project list.

I'm in the middle of repairing the lower windshield frame to enable the dual opening function of the horizontally split windshield.I still haven't cleaned all the grease and "waste oil undercoating" from the underside. the undercoating and grime is almost 1/2" thick in some areas. 

I was shocked to find that the springs still wore their original leather covers when I got under the car.

IMG_20210321_225556.jpg.c3b708a58aeac5086a18982787bc89c9.jpgIMG_20190909_134438.jpg.a4265acbb5a76b70fb6ecc6a8476db66.jpgIMG_20190924_084113.jpg.b35ecbcf2ebfe58d799bce53b29ed00c.jpgIMG_20190924_084131.jpg.f7bb9a0cc93d69bc46aaf74723ff0993.jpg 1984175046_19402C1.JPG.d2a953ac066eaa381407b32eac25ea31.JPG

Edited by 95Cardinal
replaced image (see edit history)
  • Like 18

21 hours ago, alsancle said:

This Locomobile is freakin awesome!

Exceptionally pure 1931 Duesenberg Model J Derham Sport Convertible Sedan  heads the early consignments for Worldwide's Pacific Grove Auction on the  Monterey Peninsula - PreWarCar

I'm fairly sure that is the Loco that sat in a garage along Rt 7 in Gaylordsville Ct. for years. The fellow that owned it once worked for Locomobile, and thought he may have assembled it. Think it was on the lawn at Pebble Beach within the last five years. 

UPDATE! Turns out this IS NOT the Loco I remembered, this one has a different top design, still a Great Car. 

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)
  • Like 3

After I sold my Riviera in 2009 I decided I wanted to try a prewar car, I had always loved them but never owned one. After not nearly enough research I bought a 1928 Pierce-Arrow model 81 after a less-than 1/4 mile test drive. It looked pretty good, kind of ran and drove and was a CCCA Big Classic! I quickly joined the PAS, dug in and learned what I could, greasing everything, adjusting the brakes and rebuilding the carburetor (Many times!) In the middle of this I saw an ad in this very forum for a 1932 Cadillac V-12 Fisher bodied sedan - I totally lost my mind and bought that too! I quickly realized I was in over my head but I kept going on these cars for a couple of years.

The Pierce never really ran right, its overly glossy black paint job was only fair, its shiny chrome plating was incorrect and its bright blue velour reupholstery was garishly wrong.

The Cadillac was much better with a very nice correct interior, fabulous chrome and a beautiful V-12 engine but its 3-tone 1970s lacquer was failing, and ignition, fuel and clutch problems kept me from driving it as I should have.

The relevance to this thread's topic is that both of these cars were "restored" and while they looked decent they were incorrect in many ways and mechanically in pretty poor shape. I sold them both in 2011 and I decided then if I bought another prewar car it would be unrestored, "original", and a proven driver. 

DSCF0319.JPG

DSCF0322.JPG

DSCF1659.JPG

DSCF1673.JPG

DSCF1704.JPG

DSCF8989.JPG

DSCF8990.JPG

• Like 10

Since the words original, and unrestored are being debated, I am going to use the word factory applied paint and factory installed interior on this 1932 Packard.

I have the original title, the original envelope that the title was mailed in, the original bill of sale, the original Packard hanging Tag that I believe was hung on the door handle, the original service card, original owners manual, etc.

The first owner worked as a mechanic at the Turner Automotive Company out of Uniontown, Pennsylvania. He passed away as a bachelor in 1975 and left the car to his niece. I believe the niece was 96 years old when I purchased this off of her in 2018, making me the second family to own this wonderful car.

Car people really like this car, from the street rodders to the original/ factory people and from young to old. Everyone says it has the look. It really is a very nice, low mileage, factory presented survivor and solid as can be. The old lady I bought it off said it was her uncle’s and her’s pride and joy. She also told me the car was “zippy and had a lot of pep”… I still remember that because I wasn’t expecting to hear that out of someone her age.

AE1CB3E7-57DF-4E82-BB94-0784526F2868.png

069AB081-A4EF-4EA4-A5B7-0C90B63142AB.jpeg

8F903A3C-AF88-4627-B62B-D9E2D7735076.jpeg

DD27CFFA-6BCA-4CD8-9682-F7A20E43A463.jpeg

2B2F0F76-315D-4C4E-8A9A-A3AEF2B8117B.png

87A8C008-2851-4422-88AC-81B2B7C32B02.jpeg

Edited by Tph479 (see edit history)
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 4

5 minutes ago, arcticbuicks said:

Amazing car , and those few little things …..how rare ……I wonder how much the added value would be with the papers etc ……besides the incredible condition .

I received a letter in the mail from the person I bought it off niece about a year after I purchased the car saying that her aunt had passed on and they were cleaning the house and came across a bunch of paperwork and spare parts and I could have them if I paid for the boxing and shipping, which would run about $75 bucks. I didn’t know what to expect in the mail, until the treasure trove arrived. All of the paperwork, the original tool kit, spare parts galore. I was very happy to receive the items and sent the niece a gift for her efforts. 

• Like 10

10 hours ago, alsancle said:

This Locomobile is freakin awesome!

Exceptionally pure 1931 Duesenberg Model J Derham Sport Convertible Sedan  heads the early consignments for Worldwide's Pacific Grove Auction on the  Monterey Peninsula - PreWarCar

It’s a 38 Locomobile smaller hp. Sold for over 400k 2018. Don’t 

like side mounted Locomobiles or this body style. Here’s another with rear spares better but still frumpy styling by de Causse. If you like these you’ll love the yellow one. All 38’s Yikes.98116048-5F21-47D4-9E76-BDFF0A2D8AD2.jpeg.1f01f9302aa3a1f66c923e27b52f9329.jpeg7F4128CC-64E9-45D0-A2CC-A7F0C6BB28E6.jpeg.8241ba5557bf75b1ade31bc3957ef3ae.jpeg

• Like 7

17 hours ago, arcticbuicks said:

I will have to do more pics .........it will be a Canadian McLaughlin im sure........actually havnt looked it over for a couple years ,the sheds are full ,just over 100 cars

Over 100 😵. I have trouble keeping up with with the ones I have. 4 collector cars on the road and three in the wings that run and drive but not registered. Then there's a 1957 Jeep and another 1915 Buick and a few more kicking around. You'll never live long enough to do them all yourself. it's a full time job just maintaining that many. 😜

• Like 4

LOL...yeah its a handful  ........but we built a brand new building for the other finished and nice cars around 110 in there,about 30,000 square feet and opens for car events etc.........i figure if we stay healthy to 187 years.....all good !

Edited by arcticbuicks (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, arcticbuicks said:

LOL...yeah its a handful and 12,000 acres of grain land and 3000 hogs to feed twice a day ........but we built a brand new building for the other finished and nice cars around 110 in there,about 30,000 square feet and opens for car events etc.........i figure if we stay healthy to 187 years.....all good !

An old farmboy like me knows about sloppin hogs and reaping grain but not on such a large scale. No wonder you fellers out there wear out a combine so fast.

above locomobile additional details if i was an auctioneer ...........A fine one owner example now offered by the reclusive original owner Count Dacula of Transylvania ,now nearing retirement at the age of 307 suffering health problems due to attempted multiple stakes to the heart,has reluctantly offered for sale this rarely driven car,in fact the car  has never seen daylight since new ....not even driven to church once !  and was only driven once by each mistress,special order mirror delete and gargoyle radiator mascot and genuine bat leather upholstery ...........Image result for count dracula gargoyle

Edited by arcticbuicks (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Haha 8

Having spent a couple weeks in cell phone purgatory (very rural Tennessee) I came back to a treat! Some very wonderful cars here, thank you for the thread, pictures, and stories!

Unrestored cars have always been my favorites to see, and although I have shown it off too many times here here is my 31 Model 43 Pierce. It was purchased off eBay and took two years to recondition its engine but it is a joy to drive.

3E1B3B20-9510-43AB-8A7C-778F042609B7.jpeg.a80b1078d8458ff7903580a2389831cb.jpeg

One of my previous cars was the 29 Model A Ford which had a brush paint job from the 50’s and a new top but everything else was not messed with. The car ran but was so worn out that when I had the engine done it went from a standard bore to .120 over to get all four perfect again… 

8496FD15-1642-434A-850A-138111EE27D6.jpeg.2f503f967587310776fa8e7762b08477.jpeg

• Like 12

Here’s one to make you all cry… 

This 1914 T has all of the original paperwork from new and was in absolutely fantastic condition when my dad passed away but since that time has not been treated well by my brother…

If anyone remembers Bill Eads who sold T parts out of Wilmington NC as the company T-Nuts, this was his car he called Miss Vickery. She was a HPOF car with a lot of transitional part features that was built late in the 1914 model year and was proof that Ford used a number of “floor sweepings” instead of solid time changes. Specifically the front fenders are 1915 style mounted with the 1914 style brackets.

A732DB81-BCBD-4750-AAB8-EBEFF9F45640.jpeg

C0459709-1150-414F-8777-32DF5CDF6969.jpeg

D83CCCAB-98E9-4112-A575-F65900BF70CD.jpeg

0BC7DC7C-9A5F-4E97-AB56-BFE9B1C121AD.jpeg

• Like 8