The Unrestored Car Appreciation Thread

43 minutes ago, Walt G said:

Everyone has their definition of original, restored etc. If a car has had its tires replaced since new, new battery, new radiator hoses and belts brake jobs, even a front seat cushion bottom replaced due to wear is it restored or is that just maintenance. Every car has had to have some kind of "fix" to keep working due to deteriorating components that it had when it left the factory. There is no set of rules as to how much or how little. But there are a lot of opinions . Unlike doing research for history, if you go to the original publications, oral history of people who were there etc. that is as close as you get to fact. If you do not check the source and when what you read was written you may be reading and possibly believing what really is - myth. Sometimes intentional but sometimes not.  This happens in non automotive history as well , I have an interest in both and am involved or was heavily involved in local, state and national organizations or societies and the same situations exist. Maintenance to me to keep a car viable and working is not destroying the "originality". A repainted spot on a car body or fender is not making it no longer original or the right to claim that.

I always like to ask if the car has its original air in the tires. 

• Haha 5

On 1/26/2023 at 11:48 AM, edinmass said:

I think the term unrestored or maintained is a great title.......as "original" is over used, very abused, and often indicates poor restoration done years ago appearing as factory work. There are too many "original" cars that are past toilets that have been reworked upwards and improved to "original".

Maintained is fitting. Is there truly a car that has not had some part replaced for whatever reason? Let's open that Pandora's Box. 

Edited by avgwarhawk (see edit history)

5 minutes ago, avgwarhawk said:

Maintained is fitting. Is there truly a car that has not had some part replaced for whatever reason? 

There is a 1958 Studebaker in New Zealand with only 128 miles on it. Obviously to be in running order it must have had a few consumables replaced. 

The Ultimate Time Capsule: 1958 Studebaker Champion | New Zealand Classic Car

image-asset.jpeg

58 EB8617 Champion only 108 miles.jpg

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Matt129 said:

My 1953 Studebaker Champion is completely unrestored, it has been partially repainted at some point, and the interior has been partly redone in the 1970s, but other than that nothing other than basic maintenance has been done to the car. Heck, it still has the original spark plug coil and it runs great 😂. I mean it needs some work, but it’s a solid car. 

57AF0F56-6DC0-442B-9965-6C6216297322.jpeg

Awesome! I still dream of owning one of those someday. Thanks for the picture.

• Like 1

A shot taken from the facebook page of my son's workplace - taken this week. The mid 1930s Austin York in the foreground is mostly original. The 1919 Nash wrecker was converted from a touring car in the early 1920s and remained with the same owner for decades. My son's boss bought it about ten years ago and made it drivable.

May be an image of car

19 GWW688 Nash Classic Workshop 22.jpg

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, nzcarnerd said:

A shot taken from the facebook page of my son's workplace. The mid 1930s Austin York in the foreground is mostly original. The 1919 Nash wrecker was converted from a touring car in the early 1920s and remained with the same owner for decades. My son's boss bought it about ten years ago and made it drivable.

Would your son mind if I set up a cot in his workplace and lived there for a while? Beautiful!

• Like 1

Here is my 1977 Chevrolet Monza Mirage. I ran a wanted ad in our magazine about 10 years ago and someone gave me a lead on the car. It was in Storage from 1984 until my purchase in 2013. I had shown photos of it before on the site in a similar thread. 

B (2).JPG

007 (2).JPG

• Like 11

1 hour ago, alsancle said:

Here is my unrestored race boat from the 1930s.  Let it go to a better home a few years ago.  Spent 15  years trying to identify the builder.

July 18 Thumb Drive 2 1044.JPG

July 18 Thumb Drive 2 1048.JPG

IMG_4306.jpg

I’ve wanted that boat since Ed sent me those photos 5 years ago. I’d still love to double end the transom and put a Chrysler inboard in it. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, yachtflame said:

I’ve wanted that boat since Ed sent me those photos 5 years ago. I’d still love to double end the transom and put a Chrysler inboard in it. 

I was never sure if it had a torpedo stern originally and was modified for the outboard or if it was built that way.

This 1973 Imperial is probably the most original car I've owned. I bought it from the son of the original owner. Was always kept indoors, had its own dedicated garage to keep it from daily driver dings, etc. Other than tires and maintenance items done at the Chrysler dealership it was totally untouched.

apr3 050.jpg

apr3 022.jpg

apr3 021.jpg

• Like 6

My current 1971 Coupe DeVille still has the the dealer installed plastic "bubble" see thru cover on the back seat, and some left on the front. Also original paint same as the 73 Imperial. I have to change the ignition wires and plugs, etc on the 71 Cadi in the spring as the original stuff is getting too weak.

jun6cadi 097.jpg

jun6cadi 110.jpg

• Like 5

On 1/26/2023 at 10:01 AM, alsancle said:

George, how many legit gunboats are there?   2 or 3?   Is the Austria Simplex garage car the only one with pipes?

The ex Austria Passey Locomobile is the only one I know of with exposed pipes. Certainly a great unrestored automobile.701C492F-64AF-4A19-8E06-E0B528A79591.jpeg.e948475891f423ff361cea3b3320d2d5.jpeg889704EA-A632-4145-A6C4-2108CA4EE469.jpeg.e412f60267a8fb8c65c18b60743d2a10.jpeg962DC9A2-9E69-4C8C-93FA-5C2D42A0192C.jpeg.9cac7596f0c97e1d186a94a9bdc607bb.jpeg0820E998-830A-4947-AAE7-95F3609D8400.jpeg.06f444a34c127d7a72723e627d10c6cc.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

36 minutes ago, Ed Luddy said:

My current 1971 Coupe DeVille still has the the dealer installed plastic "bubble" see thru cover on the back seat, and some left on the front. Also original paint same as the 73 Imperial. I have to change the ignition wires and plugs, etc on the 71 Cadi in the spring as the original stuff is getting too weak.

jun6cadi 097.jpg

jun6cadi 110.jpg

I could never understand leaving upholstery coverings on cars or couches. Wasn’t it bought to use? If so, wouldn’t the buyer like to sit on the leather or upholstery they bought? Why pay extra for supple leather if you’re gonna sit on plastic?? You might as well save the extra bucks and buy  a model with bubble wrap seats!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, yachtflame said:

I could never understand leaving upholstery coverings on cars or couches. Wasn’t it bought to use? If so, wouldn’t the buyer like to sit on the leather or upholstery they bought? Why pay extra for supple leather if you’re gonna sit on plastic?? You might as well save the extra bucks and buy  a model with bubble wrap seats!

Yes, I agree, but in this case I'm kind of glad no one removed the plastic covers. I will get to do it in the spring this year. The brocade upholstery is in excellent shape BTW.

jun6cadi 109.jpg

• Like 1

17 hours ago, STEVE POLLARD said:

image.png.4e19bbd51894430f81b7c6c2ca756549.png

I like seeing the old service stickers in the door jams...it just adds to the documentation to the vehicle !  I still have one on my '69 Impala from 1980 from the Dealership where it was purchase from new....

6A2D3881-5036-4382-8110-685B7B7A126B.jpeg.6e50a617a11e6013fce1d11cec4a2f17.jpegA558C08F-74DD-4C6A-8D41-BDA7615C3A51.jpeg.c4d737cd0631d27701058f6696134302.jpegSimilar to the service stickers this WWII gas rationing sticker was still on the windshield of my 1940 Chevy when I bought it in 2019. It survived on the car for close to 80 years. Unfortunately it fell off a few years ago. Since the car was fully restored when I bought it, I decided to preserve it and not try to put it back on since the car was no longer “original” as described in this thread

• Like 3

12 hours ago, John348 said:

Here is my 1977 Chevrolet Monza Mirage. I ran a wanted ad in our magazine about 10 years ago and someone gave me a lead on the car. It was in Storage from 1984 until my purchase in 2013. I had shown photos of it before on the site in a similar thread. 

B (2).JPG

007 (2).JPG

Cool car.  

• Like 1

Dandy Dave…………….I consider you more of an “original “ than your White truck. Sadly, the new people in the hobby are much less colorful today than in years past. Not many “normal” car guys like us left. 

To add to the confusion………….let’s toss in “survivor car”. I absolutely detest this term. Generally speaking when I hear this term I immediately think……..”too cheap to fix or service it correctly “.

It took me years to come around to having a passion for “original “ cars. Some cool piece of old iron you can drive on a tour for two weeks, and it’s as clean at the end of the tour as when it started. My 1917 White hasn’t been washed since I pulled it out and recommissioned it. We did vacuum it out……..but there are still cobwebs under the chassis after almost 1000 miles. It did get rained on once, fairly heavily for fifteen minutes when we took it to lunch. The crowd around the car was horrified………….at 105 years old I explained to them it wasn’t the first time it got wet. 

Im too old and burnt out to want to spend months or even a year or two to do cosmetics on a car now. The 17 got hit by a three pound pidgin back two years ago on the fender……..it’s still there. I consider it a scientific experiment……..and enjoy the comments people make about the white spots on the fender. 😎

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, STEVE POLLARD said:

John, how rare is this ?  I remember the Monza, but not the Mirage.

Steve

They are very rare, the were made by an outside firm for GM so the numbers are a little inconsistent. I come up with around 4000 units, not all were 4 speeds not all had the same graphics package, and believe it or not, some were not V-8's. The ones that remain not many are stock, are not that stock. They now have 350's rather the the original 305's. They are pretty hard to come by, and rather quick on the road. This car is on the list of my downsizing project this year, shame but....   

• Like 2

15 hours ago, alsancle said:

Here is my unrestored race boat from the 1930s.  Let it go to a better home a few years ago.  Spent 15  years trying to identify the builder.

July 18 Thumb Drive 2 1044.JPG

July 18 Thumb Drive 2 1048.JPG

IMG_4306.jpg

Photos capture the two best day of boat ownership. The day you bought it and the day you sold it. Sleek hull. What was it power?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, George K said:

Photos capture the two best day of boat ownership. The day you bought it and the day you sold it. Sleek hull. What was it power?

Good question George.  It has a hatch forward of the cockpit but no evidence of ever having an engine mounted there.  If it was originally intended as a torpedo stern maybe the engine was behind the seat.  

I still have 30s vintage Evinrude V4-60 racing outboard engine for it that somebody needs to take off my hands. 

July 18 Thumb Drive 2 1039.JPG

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Call it what ever you want but it says to the world.........I'm old, I've aged gracefully. I'm still on the road and fun to drive. I represent what I was before a few battle scars and band-aids. I'm made of steel, brass, bronze and aluminum, with real wood by craftsmen.  I was engineered on a piece of paper by some brilliant talented people. I've survived when people thought I was useless or past my prime.  Nature nor neglect has reclaimed me yet, nor has a blast furnace.  Accept me for who I am today......I have a story to tell you.

(1931 Lincoln Dietrich model 211 Convertible Sedan, poor respray, flash chrome, and top in 1960's, original interior, front seat new leather 2010's. drives great, No worries if someone touches it, feels the history, and enjoys it.)300633957_Phonejan2022674.jpg.86cf5069025a33d691b34ac097fc5ede.jpg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

AJ that is a beautiful engine. Similar to the difference in cars of today compared to the twenties and thirties the old engines had looks and style. I would guess you will get offers on that engine easily now that you posted your interest in selling it. Sorry I won’t be one of them as I learned my lesson about boats many years ago. 

dave s 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Long Story, though I bought this almost a year ago as a favor to one of dad's mode railroad buddies that I have know since day one of my life and have to say that I really did not look at it at time and really did not spend a minute with it until this week - turns out it really is a 2nd family owned (I would be second) 56K mile 1931 Deluxe Roadster in Washington Blue and all things considered a pretty untouched car in rather exceptional condition for an A.   Came with a box of every single part that was not on car, 1950's top, 1950's hot rod interior over top of all the original leather, wheels restored in 1980's, and I restored the headlamps this week.   Anyone looking for a "oily rag" car you can use as is or if wanted restore ? 

unnamed (1).jpg

• Like 6

'57 Bel Air wagon with 32K miles. I had a notion to sell it a few years ago and pretty much had the deal done. The fellow let it slip that he was planning a full teardown nut and bolt restoration and so therefore he was drop kicked to the curb and it still sitting there just as you see it...

20171009_182240.jpg

20171009_182303.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

I owned this 50 Chevy up until a few years ago, I needed to make so room and it was the easiest car in the collection to sell. I bought it from a guy who placed a classified on our AACA website and I sold it through an ad in our AACA Magazine. The new owner has been visiting me at my spot at Hershey the past few years and having a few cold drinks and just enjoying the sunset! I enjoyed riding with buddy Sammy, he's gone now as well. I loved this car!  Just needed the space

204.JPG

IMG_1966.JPG

IMG_2870.JPG

• Like 12
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, JamesR said:

Would your son mind if I set up a cot in his workplace and lived there for a while? Beautiful!

It might be a long way away for you.

My son was saying that waiting for parts is why so many cars are in there at once.

On their website the photo of the line-up of car is part of the owners' collection of about 30. They only recently (a couple of years ago) bought the building. It is a quarter acre building on half acre site which start life as a brush factory so is 'festooned' with sprinklers. Before NZ became one of the most unregulated markets in the world, it was heavily regulated and most necessary things in life were made here.

Classic Workshop | Classic Car Repairs | Cars | Bikes | Trucks

They have a facebook page as well - Classic Workshop | Christchurch | Facebook

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, George K said:

I always like to ask if the car has its original air in the tires. 

The proper term is factory air you may have heard the term used in many adds.

Yes there is winter air, summer air but for storage I always use the air from my storage tank and have never had a problem. It is also the same price.

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, 28 Chrysler said:

The proper term is factory air you may have heard the term used in many adds.

Yes there is winter air, summer air but for storage I always use the air from my storage tank and have never had a problem. It is also the same price.

Is the price adjusted for inflation? 
dave s

ps. Sorry couldn’t resist 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

19 hours ago, George K said:

Boat- Break Out Another Thousand.

• Haha 1