What are the Best Looking Prewar FOUR-DOOR Sedans? Custom and Production.

alsancle

16 minutes ago, alsancle said:

Steve, I think it is a Studebaker Land Cruiser.

Thanks AJ, Craig & Bryan.  Assume 33, 34? Looked very much like a Hup to me, except the lights didn't make sense as they are faired in on the Hups.  I didn't note the make on this old pic. and wouldn't have thought Studebaker. 

I would imagine relatively inexpensive and sporty compared to a lot of competition, not sure I would call this, or a Hup sedan for that matter, a "club sedan" but the lack of the quarter windows make them pretty attractive.

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)

16 minutes ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

Thanks AJ, Craig & Bryan.  Assume 33, 34? Looked very much like a Hup to me, except the lights didn't make sense as they are faired in on the Hups.  I didn't note the make on this old pic. and wouldn't have thought Studebaker. 

I would imagine relatively inexpensive and sporty compared to a lot of competition, not sure I would call this, or a Hup sedan for that matter, a "club sedan" but the lack of the quarter windows make them pretty attractive.

I believe that example pictured is this car:  https://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/forum/your-studebaker-forum/general-studebaker-specific-discussion/108960-1934-president-year-ahead-land-cruiser

Craig

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, wayne sheldon said:

Hey there Bob!

Someone mentioned Cord on page one, but no photos were given.

Me? I always lean toward slightly earlier (or a lot earlier!) cars. One of my all-time favorite production sedans was Buick's master series oval window brougham. 1926/'27 is best, 1928 begins to get a bit swoopy for me. I couldn't find a really good picture after about a half hour with google. But this one isn't too bad. Harvested from a website that I am pretty sure had it misidentified as a 1924, so I won't name them unless asked.

The cars are much more impressive in person than this small picture. Fifty years ago, I knew of three of these cars! Now I haven't seen one up close in over thirty years.

buick-six-master.jpg

Wayne: Here was a mostly original 1927-51 in the HPOF section at Hershey several years ago.

DSCF7845.JPG.ba4b5c93d1f11714c06eeb09148ec757.JPG

DSCF7847.JPG.0b760460b0d682da978b2fd52b8c61ff.JPGDSCF7846.JPG.1f8fe200f9d4e7dffc9c081f751a2e1d.JPG

• Like 7

8 hours ago, wayne sheldon said:

A Berline is supposed to have a divider window. However, and I don't know really why? (I think a few people were misinformed?) But a few people I have known have had Lincolns or other club sedans without a divider window, that they were insistent had to be called a "Berline". I guess whatever makes one happy. And, I wonder? If it does have a divider window? Can it be called a sedan?

A berline is a sedan that is upholstered throughout in the same fabric but is fitted with a partition (divider) window that can be lowered when not in use.   The idea was to equip the car flexibly to be owner-driven with the partition window lowered but when needed for chauffeur-driven formal occasions have it available to raise.  If the driver's compartment is leather upholstered, its then considered an enclosed-drive limousine, not intended to be owner-driven.    The social conventions of chauffeur-driven era cars faded away by the advent of WWII, except perhaps in isolated 'old money' circles.

• Like 1

Back in 1931, this Ruxton may very well have been considered the finest Sedan design of the time, it was remarkable not only for its bold engineering, but also for its low overall height of just 53 inches, over a foot and a half shorter than the average car of the day. Ledwinka opted to delete the then-common running boards as well, further enhancing the car’s long and low appearance. My vote for American manufactured cars. And yes, the paint scheme is authentic! 

1930 Ruxton.webp

Edited by Gunsmoke (see edit history)
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, alsancle said:

Hands down one of my favorite all time sedan designs.   Since we are crawling with Packard guys here,  is this the one that was a taxi in Mexico?   There were three built?

1940 Packard Super-8 One-Eighty | SuperCars.net

A.J.:

Yes, this design masterpiece survived in Mexico doing taxi duty until Dr. Charles Blackman rescued it.  It was designed by a young Art Fitzpatrick who was hired by Dutch Darrin to do design development in his Sunset Boulevard shop.  The construction began there but was finished in Connersville, IN when Packard contracted with Central Manufacturing (Auburn) to build the fifty 1940 convertible victorias.  It was bought by the president of Phillips Petroleum from a Texas dealership.  The other two sport sedans are much less customized than this car, they still have running boards in place!   

Probably won't surprise you to know that this Packard Darrin Sport Sedan is an all-time favorite of mine as well.

Steve

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 58L-Y8 said:

A.J.:

Yes, this design masterpiece survived in Mexico doing taxi duty until Dr. Charles Blackman rescued it.  It was designed by a young Art Fitzpatrick who was hired by Dutch Darrin to do design development in his Sunset Boulevard shop.  The construction began there but was finished in Connersville, IN when Packard contracted with Central Manufacturing (Auburn) to build the fifty 1940 convertible victorias.  It was bought by the president of Phillips Petroleum from a Texas dealership.  The other two sport sedans are much less customized than this car, they still have running boards in place!   

Probably won't surprise you to know that this Packard Darrin Sport Sedan is an all-time favorite of mine as well.

Steve

Not much customization on the maroon one, over and beyond the convertible sedan that was built in larger numbers. Also, there were just two designs of 1940 Darrin Sport Sedans, and just ONE was built in each design. The other 1940 Darrin sport sedan (pictured here) was of totally different than the maroon one, and which I prefer, even though it has sidemounts and running boards, which it doesn't really need, but is large enough to carry it off.

Screenshot 2023-01-12 at 2.34.42 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-01-12 at 2.36.39 PM.png

• Like 5

From the pictures ....a car sure dosnt have to be a million $$ car to be beautiful......and some of the big $ cars actually have something a little odd or off about them in style.A few yes for sure are great......but from all the pictures i see here and a couple I never paid much attention to.......I think a few mid range models are winners in style

• Like 1

18 hours ago, pkhammer said:

Edsel knew what a good looking car was, right Mr. Dobbin?

1933 FORD MODEL 40 CUSTOM 4 DOOR SEDAN

If that's Edsel's car, it pays to know the boss.   Black Cherry paint, 16" 

Kelsey Hayes wheels, two tone paint.  None of which were standard on            this Deluxe 1933 Ford Fordor, but I like it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, West Peterson said:

Not much customization on the maroon one, over and beyond the convertible sedan that was built in larger numbers. Also, I don't think more than two were made (maybe just this one?). The other Darrin sport sedan was of a totally different design. I prefer this one, even though it has sidemounts and running boards, which it doesn't really need, but is large enough to carry it off.

Screenshot 2023-01-12 at 2.34.42 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-01-12 at 2.36.39 PM.png

West:

The maroon car (Style No. 720) was the first of the sport sedans; does share a good deal of its proportions with the ~ ten convertible sedans (Style No. 710) which came after the sport sedan build began in California.  These two Darrin sport sedans are Style No. 730 which was an effort to create the style without the extensive modifications the Styles 720 and 710 entailed.    The hood and cowl, though extended rearward, those as well as the radiator shroud and hood section heights were not lowered as much as the other four door styles or as were the convertible victorias.  Retaining the standard fenders and running boards reduced the cost though does detract somewhat from the general verve of the design.  The sole 1941 Darrin sport sedan is this build configuration as well.  Of course, compared to the standard factory sedans, they were a major improvement.

Steve

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, arcticbuicks said:

From the pictures ....a car sure dosnt have to be a million $$ car to be beautiful......and some of the big $ cars actually have something a little odd or off about them in style.A few yes for sure are great......but from all the pictures i see here and a couple I never paid much attention to.......I think a few mid range models are winners in style

There are a number of fairly reasonably priced cars in this thread.   There are also some very expensive ones.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gunsmoke said:

Back in 1931, this Ruxton may very well have been considered the finest Sedan design of the time, it was remarkable not only for its bold engineering, but also for its low overall height of just 53 inches, over a foot and a half shorter than the average car of the day. Ledwinka opted to delete the then-common running boards as well, further enhancing the car’s long and low appearance. My vote for American manufactured cars. And yes, the paint scheme is authentic! 

1930 Ruxton.webp

I respectfully disagree in every category. Interesting? Yes. Fun, yes. Quality...nope. Fit, finish, and engineering, uninspired. Drive one.......and you will wish you had a Packard 110 instead. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, 58L-Y8 said:

West:

The maroon car (Style No. 720) was the first of the sport sedans; does share a good deal of its proportions with the ~ ten convertible sedans (Style No. 710) which came after the sport sedan build began in California.  

Steve

Thanks for the clarification, Steve. I didn't realize the sedan was built first.

56 minutes ago, edinmass said:

I respectfully disagree in every category. Interesting? Yes. Fun, yes. Quality...nope. Fit, finish, and engineering, uninspired. Drive one.......and you will wish you had a Packard 110 instead. 

Ed:

Maybe you can tell us about what fun a Ruxton would be to own when the fan belt breaks.

Just throwing in something from left field. I am not a particular fan of British cars - so many of their sedans (saloons) have what to me is 'awkward' styling. Most have restricted space in the rear seat, even the more expensive ones.

Here are a few Rileys.

I knew the owner of the first one, a 1934 12/6 (1500cc six) Mentone, restored in the early 1970s.  I see its registration was cancelled in 2015 and I think it has been sold overseas.

The others are all Riley Kestrels of various years from circa 1934-39.

34 HW21 12-6 Mentone Bernie Biddlecombe Ross Frater photo Inlg 06 0722.jpg

100617splriley03.jpg

Riley Kestrel Light Saloon 1934 for sale at ERclassics

Simon Cars - Riley 16/4

• Like 6

1 hour ago, edinmass said:

Based upon my experience with the late Henry Martin's Ruxton, working on it in LaPlace, Louisiana with his late grandson Kim Martin,

I'll echo Ed's comments:

"Interesting? Yes. Fun, yes. Quality...nope. Fit, finish, and engineering, uninspired. Drive one.......and you will wish you had a Packard 110 instead." 

The paint job was very interesting

There are those that might argue the Citroen traction avant is one of the best looking pre-WW2 sedans. Good enough that it remained in production until the mid 1950s.

In the first photo is a 1938 example wearing a mix of post WW2 wheels. photo taken just a few months ago at our club grass gymkhana.

The silver/grey car dates from 1939.

The third photo illustrates the difference between the post-war model (the car in the foreground dates from 1952) and the pre-war models (this one is from 1938).

All of these cars will have been built in the British Citroen factory.

283699890_10159077042519075_536674413281235849_n.jpg

IMG_8660 resize.JPG

IMG_8648 resize.JPG

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 58L-Y8 said:

A berline is a sedan that is upholstered throughout in the same fabric but is fitted with a partition (divider) window that can be lowered when not in use.   The idea was to equip the car flexibly to be owner-driven with the partition window lowered but when needed for chauffeur-driven formal occasions have it available to raise.  If the driver's compartment is leather upholstered, its then considered an enclosed-drive limousine, not intended to be owner-driven.    The social conventions of chauffeur-driven era cars faded away by the advent of WWII, except perhaps in isolated 'old money' circles.

That is almost exactly the distinction I arrived at for myself. After listening to and reading a dozen sources. The frustrating part is that several cars I have seen in the "club sedan" style were vehemently claimed as "berlines" when in fact they did not have any divider window. These were cars I was close enough to to put my hands inside the car, and even a couple invited to sit inside. I suspect some owners like the fancy term, and I don't argue with them. Some cars, the true berlines, did have divider windows (usually down).

One on the other hand, if I recall correctly a 1927 Lincoln that I was inside, I think had an adjustable front seat. The owner, a fellow I had known somewhat for several years, had always referred to the car as "the berline". There was certainly no place in that car for a divider window. I noticed this because it was one of the earliest sedans I had ever seen that the front seat wasn't even attached to the door pillars.

As I said earlier. I think some of the owners were misinformed.

• Like 1