Tether car knowledge

Steven Meixner

When I was a kid we always called these things "Spin Dizzy" cars.  Like everything now there is lots of websites & forums with people discussing, trading, selling & buying these things.

I don't have any direct information for you but good luck with your search.

Wes in VT

• Like 1

Thimble Drome race cars made in California.  Some were motorized and some were not.  They were metal bodied.  A friend of mine had a 1950s green non motorized one and I bought it from him.  He got it for delivering newspapers in the 1950s.  I had, as a kid, the Cox 1963 tether race car Corvette.  It had a metal frame and plastic body with an .049 model airplane engine mounted to the back wheels. The engine was mounted to the metal chassis and was located behind the seats.  I have since sold both cars.

I got a magazine a couple of weeks ago at a show and there was a multi page article about the 'spin dizzy' cars. I dont recall the name of it but am looking through my pile to see if its still there. It was quite interesting, I had no idea these kind of things existed.

Like Terry B. I had a Cox dragster when I was a kid. It was a birthday present. Nailed the string to the asphalt road and it followed along. This was around '73,'74. Also had a couple of airplanes that did had the same kinda idea.

9 hours ago, John348 said:

I live about 15 miles from the track in the Youtube video that Peter posted and I never heard of that track, pretty cool! I know there is a big R/C plane park in that area but not in the town that the woman mentioned  

Actually I looked where the track is located and it is not in the town where the woman on the video mentioned, it is part of the R/C Airplane area that I knew about. When my parents moved out of The Bronx they lived in walking distance from where the track is now located, I have not been down there in awhile, but I never knew it was there

Edited by John348 (see edit history)

2 hours ago, avgwarhawk said:

I owned a tethered prop car.  Upon starting the small Cox engine the prop whacked two of my fingers.  To this day I have the scars on my fingers.  They just don't make great toys like that anymore. 

This was the exact prop car that I had.  Wish I still had it! 

50076396_1_x.jpg?version=1482557904&form

• Like 2

On 9/26/2022 at 12:03 PM, Scott Bonesteel said:

I remember there being a demonstration track for these (on wires, not on rails) in Disneyland/Anaheim in the late 50s-early 60s.

OMG! Thank you! I went to Disneyland in the early 60s and I swore I remembered this track. My sisters said I made it up.  I guess I’m not crazy after all! (Well….)