Question on what you guys think this car worth

BuickTom87

My father and I are looking at purchasing this but we just want to get another overall idea what people think . 1941 Buick century ! 

6.jpg

1.jpg

A 1941 Century is a fantastic car, probably the best driving car of the pre-war era. I know these cars very well and the combination of the big Buick engine and a medium-sized body makes for a very entertaining drive. They're also bulletproof reliable when sorted, parts are relatively easy to find, and it will run at modern highway speeds without any modifications. If this is a good car that's ready to drive, you will likely forget the price pretty quickly once you're enjoying the car. Think of it as booking a vacation--do you spring for the good hotel room and eat in better restaurants? There's always a cheaper way, but is cheaper what you really want and does it actually represent good value when the end goal is simply having a good time?

Ultimately, it comes down to what it worth to you.  You're the only one who can decide if it's a good value. Looking for validation here from strangers or using us as a way to lever the price to your advantage doesn't do anyone any good. What's the asking price? If it's within your reach and you think it represents appropriate value, then there's your answer. If you think it's too much, you probably won't be able to negotiate it down to a point where it becomes a good value to you (with the assumption that most sellers will wiggle 5-10% on price). What a bunch of strangers on the internet think is irrelevant--we might be talking you out of a car you'd really enjoy just because some nobodies said it was too expensive. What's the fun of owning that car worth to you? 

• Like 9

Yeah going to take a look at this car next week, if it’s good it’ll be added to our collection. I’ll add more pics of the car when we go up to take look at it .  

1 hour ago, Morgan Wright said:

Parking brakes don't work and the clutch slips, otherwise, why the wood blocks front and back.

That’s good , I’ll be checking that out , I’ll be uploading more pictures of the car today and the final price she wants for the car . 

so far the car is 1941 century with 70k miles on , motor seems to be fully rebuilt full interior by Hampton coach ..  she’s asking 18k 

• Like 1

I have a 41 Century and its a dream to drive and very reliable. In 1941 nothing else compared. It was also the last year and final iteration of the 1939 grille design before the iconic fish mouth of 1942 started a new styling evolution. The 41 is a very handsome car and to many the best year. Lots of buzz about the great Ford flathead V8 but Buick OHV engines blow them away and Cadillac has had aluminum V8s since 1914. Its a joy to own a prewar car that can get on the Interstate. Just dont expect great mileage though, they are thirsty! 

27 minutes ago, Lawrence Helfand said:

I have a 41 Century and its a dream to drive and very reliable. In 1941 nothing else compared. It was also the last year and final iteration of the 1939 grille design before the iconic fish mouth of 1942 started a new styling evolution. The 41 is a very handsome car and to many the best year. Lots of buzz about the great Ford flathead V8 but Buick OHV engines blow them away and Cadillac has had aluminum V8s since 1914. Its a joy to own a prewar car that can get on the Interstate. Just dont expect great mileage though, they are thirsty! 

Trust me, I know about thirsty Buicks hahaha 

Have a 1938 century and 1929 Buick . 

• Like 1

Hi  ill try and  ad a  more info and help you decide,---firstly  its always interesting   getting advice about  values

when buying  a classic, --but you have picked a great model Buick,  for memory  first year of high domed pistons,

and was  americas   most powerful  auto  for 1941,  165hp even higher than Cadillacs V8,---even if you have to spend approx--

$2000-4000 thousand on different items,-----go buy it   my estimation is a maximum  of  about  $23000---$25000  grand.

Another thing to  realize  and to me is its  color--very nice ,-----go for it---we only live ones--regards.   Good luck.

Was this car ever in central NY?  I recall seeing one very similar here (same story about deceased owner and widow selling) earlier this year.  I want to say it had that same license plate...

Yes, the instrument panel and glove box door on this car should be "engine turned," and correcting this (if you want to) will be costly.  Getting the instrument panel off and back on is also a tricky and tedious job.  However, I believe that the McLaughlin Buicks from Canada came with painted panels.  Is this car possibly from Canada?  (The dash on a U.S. Buick should also be wood-grained instead of solid brown -- but that might be different on the McLaughlin as well.)  @Buicknutty will have the answer to this.

• Like 1

Yes, Canadian produced Buicks, McLaughlin Buicks, had full wood grained dashboards instead of the US cars with a combo of engine turning on the instrument panel and glove box door with the rest of it wood grained.

A look at the VIN tag will quickly tell the story if it's US or Canadian built.

Having owned and driven a '41 Roadmaster coupe for the last 10 years and putting about 12,000 miles on it I can't agree with Matt more. These are remarkable cars to drive, amazing for their age. With the style of the car power and performance of the big engine puts many others to shame. My opinion of course!

Keith

• Like 2

I actually saw this car in person when it was parked in front of a storage facility not far from my house.  My initial impression based on looking it over outside and peeking in the windows was that it was a very nice looking car.  In fact, if I didn't already have my '38 I would probably have inquired about it.  The unknown here is I believe the car has been parked for some time as the owner's health declined.  It will, undoubtedly need some attention in order to get it recommissioned for regular service.

• Like 2

Well after driving 5 hours to look at this car , it decided to join our collection . It needs some maintenance and TLC..  along with some hood and latch work to get it right .  Hershey will be getting some new tires for it. 

• Like 11

Anyone can recommend me a place that restores steering wheels and dashes please let me know . 

I’ll greatly appreciate it . 

At the cost of restoring a steering wheel,  I would look around for a real good used one.  They come up on ebay,  if you get lucky.  I bought one for I think around $200,  but it was sort of mislisted.  Used to do just a steering wheel search in general.   With ebay's new messed up search you may find one no one else can see.  You may have to search the site,  then search google images separately to see the rest of them on ebay.  Yeah I know it's real frustrating as a seller and a buyer,  that their own search engine on their site doesn't work. 

Doug Seybold in Westlake, Ohio specializes in these early 40's Buicks and their engine turned dashboards.  He is well versed in many aspects of these cars' restoration and can answer any questions you may have.  He is a member of the BCA and advertises in the club's monthly Buick Bugle magazine.  He has done many award winning restorations and he was happy to discuss cars with me years ago during a meet.  You can reach him at 440-835-1193

My steering wheel in my 1940 special was shot to heck, I was happy going to a truck stop on the highway and finding out that all truck steering wheels are 18" just like the old Buicks, and they had many colors of steering wheel covers to choose from. I found a nice white false leather cover and was fine driving with it. Spend $2000 to get the steering wheel recast, or $20 for a cover, your choice.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There also are nice lace up leather steering wheel covers for about $60 in custom sizes and colors. I can’t recall the manufacturer, but I have one on my LaSalle and they look pretty good. I didn’t like the way the wheel was slippery when it was cold and clammy when it was warm, and the cover took care of both.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Well it’s in my garage now , time to sort out all the issues.

Some of the stuff that definitely needs a going over is

- going to order a deluxe brake rebuilt kit from kanter

- new drums

- battery issue” prob just needs a new battery or a good charge .

- tune up/ complete overhaul of the carbs.

- drain and refill all the fluids

- flush radiator to see why it’s running hot. 

That’s the to do list before winter sets in . 

64C16432-7D17-43B5-8CB4-A738A7D4A302.jpeg

3A7A93C1-53D2-452B-976A-BD739D20DED7.jpeg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, 1936buick fan said:

- new drums

What's wrong with the ones on it -- scored?  Are they too thin to turn again?

With regard to the hot running, be sure to check the dwell and timing when you do the tune-up.  Late timing will make it run hotter.  Also check vacuum at higher RPM to rule-out an exhaust restriction.

8 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

No such thing as "new" drums for a Century. Be careful with them, they're very hard to replace!

Prob just have them cut . Looks like the brakes haven’t done in a long long time. They kept locking up on us when we took the car Off the trailer .

• Like 1