Question on what you guys think this car worth

BuickTom87

46 minutes ago, EmTee said:

Check for contamination of the shoes due to leaky axle seals and/or wheel cylinders.  I had to replace all of the wheel cylinders and rear axle seals on my '38.

The front 2 wheel cylinders are leaky, the master cylinder looks to be original it’s completely rusted out. Also going to replaced the parking brake lines out since they look deteriorated. I noticed that when we had to free up the brakes when they locked up on us when the car was coming off the trailer. So might as well replace everything when I order the kit . Do it once to have peace of mind knowing it’s done.. This car sat for a while, not really sure how much it was used but hasn’t been registered in over 20 years ….

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, DonMicheletti said:

One thing I would reccomend for any car that has been unused for many years, is to remove the pan and check the sump, oil pump and pickup screen.

They can sludge up even when unused. It can be surprising.

Yes, that’s gonna be a must.. first wanted to get the brakes sorted out so we can move it out and into the garage without the brakes locking up . It’s amazing how much sludge is sometimes in these oil pans. Our 38 century was used but barely, the sludge in that pan was incredible even though the owner before said it was done 6-10 years ago . 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Will be posting pictures of the updates soon. Then most likely this car will be on the market, it’s a fun car to drive but have to make room for the new toy 1960 bonneville convertible 

On 8/16/2022 at 2:18 PM, BuickTom87 said:

Yes, that’s gonna be a must.. first wanted to get the brakes sorted out so we can move it out and into the garage without the brakes locking up . It’s amazing how much sludge is sometimes in these oil pans. Our 38 century was used but barely, the sludge in that pan was incredible even though the owner before said it was done 6-10 years ago . 

Sludge can happen when the engine coolant is run too cold.  In my considered opinion, 180 is MINIMUM.   I like 190.

Ben

Of course .. The car wasn’t really worth what we paid we had to go through everything to make it road worthy. 

all new brakes “ besides the drums “

All new wheel bearings  

new gas tank 

Front main seal

Real main seal

rebuilt carburetors

new water pump 

tune up kit 

new exhaust 

rebuilt speedometer because it was making a crazy humming buzzing sound 

and more …

most of the things that were wrong didn’t appear til few weeks after we bought it . 

1 hour ago, BuickTom87 said:

most of the things that were wrong didn’t appear til few weeks after we bought it . 

New York, New York, huh.

"Elmer, you almost made me bust out when you said you were selling the Buick for money to paint the porch."

olds1948.jpg.89bd8a28d9acbcaf1bfbb4cd38f9468e.jpg

mother-porsche1.jpg.e16333ba907950b3700b50290a9116d7.jpg

1 hour ago, BuickTom87 said:

Of course .. The car wasn’t really worth what we paid we had to go through everything to make it road worthy. 

all new brakes “ besides the drums “

All new wheel bearings  

new gas tank 

Front main seal

Real main seal

rebuilt carburetors

new water pump 

tune up kit 

new exhaust 

rebuilt speedometer because it was making a crazy humming buzzing sound 

and more …

but now you have a lovely roadworthy car enjoy