To Buy An Edsel?

17 hours ago, Buffalowed Bill said:

I have never been that motivated selling that everyone talks about.

Yes, but as an example of one, the seller you bought Humphrey from was a motivated seller.😉

I like finding similar motivated sellers. One who is motivated because their significant other wants it gone is not so motivated...

On 5/1/2022 at 1:48 AM, wayne sheldon said:

Over thirty years ago, I bought a 1965 Ford 3/4 ton pickup. Low mileage, very nice condition, just a good old truck at the time. I drove it everyday for seventeen years and wore the thing out, replaced the engine once, and put more than a half million total miles on it. I hadn't had it a month when I discovered the thing could NOT use paraffin based oils. NO Pennzoil, NO Quaker State, several types of Sta-Lube and Valvoline were off limits! No matter how clean the engine was, no matter how fresh the oil was, any amount of paraffin based oil and the lifters would begin collapsing within a few miles. When I replaced the engine with an identical one, a fully cleaned and almost total rebuild? Same problem.

Asphalt based (it is the type of crude oil), otherwise known as ash (as opposed to non-ash) oils, were never a problem in it.

I suspect modern processing has changed this a lot in the past twenty years. For clarity, asphalt based oils leave a fine ash if a small amount is burned in a dish. Paraffin based oils burn clean (no ash) if burned in a dish. Paraffin based oils had slightly better lubricating properties, however tended to create a lot more sludge (waxy sludge). Asphalt based oils lubricated quite well and were more tolerant of poor maintenance practices.

The two types of oil generally speaking should not have been mixed in those days. Although most people did not understand that, and commonly did mix them.

Thanks for that clarification Wayne! That explains many FE engine problems I had as a kid.

1 hour ago, Frank DuVal said:

Yes, but as an example of one, the seller you bought Humphrey from was a motivated seller.😉

I like finding similar motivated sellers. One who is motivated because their significant other wants it gone is not so motivated...

No he wasn't a motivated seller-he wanted to give me the car. I didn't want to just take him for nothing. He did say the grandma thought that is was worth something. We settled on $400, but remember that I didn't know much about the car, except what I could see. What I found was astonishing-brakes worked, tires held air, no leakage from the automatic trans, rubber all pliable, (I still using the same wipers fourteen years later), started the car on 40yo (gas that still smelled good and had the original pink color), gas tank still tinned on the inside, Car went into gear as though it had been last started yesterday, gauges and radio all worked, and continue to work today. I had to rebuild the engine because of rod knock, but I had expected to have to do that anyway and recore the radiator. In some cases what you don't know about a new purchase are the things that get you. In this case almost everything that I found was a plus.

44 minutes ago, Ed Luddy said:

This is my favorite Edsel. It's pricey, far away and I have NO room. But, with much mental persuasion and selling of current cars I'd be so happy to own it!

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?adId=1615344265

s-l640.jpg

Question for the Edsel people: Is that real? I don't recall ever seeing or hearing of a 60 Edsel with the Starliner roof.

10 minutes ago, Bloo said:

Question for the Edsel people: Is that real? I don't recall ever seeing or hearing of a 60 Edsel with the Starliner roof.

Yes it is real! Same as the seldom seen 1960 Meteor Starliner. Very low production numbers.

• Like 1

Well it turns out that the seller was one of those sellers.. the type that advertises it, sees if there is an interest in it, and when it’s low they keep it. I sent him my offer on Tuesday and followed up on Saturday with no reply either time. I guess an Edsel is not in the cards for me. 

The original 60s AMT 1957 Ford Styline kit included three custom rear end treatments. The simplest of the three grafted Edsel wagon taillights onto the Fairlane hardtop body.

Another was a full moulded extension that turned the Ford rear end into a 1960 Edsel. 

At that time I had never seen a 1960 Edsel so had no idea what inspired the radical styling. Moulding it to the kit body using body putty was beyond my 11 year old skillset too. 

When I built another 57 Ford kit some 25 years later, I went bone stock, two-tone pale green and white.

Just shows that Edsel styling cues were appreciated even after the cars' end.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Fleetwood Meadow said:

I guess an Edsel is not in the cards for me. 

A blessing in disguise.  Remember I told you that Edsels are low value vehicles. . . . . ?

This was my attempt to rehome a nice Edsel.  Its gone now, in the end it it went for $500. . . .

Properly priced Edsels ARE out there!  Dont ever overpay for an Edsel. 

On 5/3/2022 at 2:02 PM, Ed Luddy said:

Same as the seldom seen 1960 Meteor Starliner. Very low production numbers.

They exist too, even in Los Angeles.   Green,  6 cylinder automatic 

IMG_5092.jpg

IMG_5096.jpg

IMG_5099.jpg

• Like 6

Yeah I remember the car. In fact i wrote in the post several times. The car was nowhere near me and didn’t run. If I remember correctly the man disassembled some of it and never put it back together. I wanted to buy it. What I never understand in this hobby is the constant need for “resale value.” I thought we were supposed to love and collect the cars. If we are only interested in buying them to fix them and sell them then we are used car salesmen. My collection includes a ‘51 Dodge Meadowbrook, high “value” at $5k and a ‘52 Cadillac 75 sedan. Neither are high value but I’m not interested in that because I’m not in the buying/selling game. I’m in the collect/restore/preserve/love game. That car has been on my bucket list since the first time I saw one at a car show and said wow that odd looking but it has a cool shift in the steering wheel. I know appropriately priced ones are out there. This car was at the max of my price limit so they are still out of reach until I can afford to go higher on my buying price. 

Edited by Fleetwood Meadow (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

One never knows when a car may need to be sold. If it happens it is good to get the highest value. I don't spend a lot of time farting around making the decision. If it is a bad decision I just sell it. People do such a poor job presenting cars for sale it is usually quite easy to make a little profit on the car you aren't happy with just by presenting it better.

Very few collector cars, especially low end or project cars, have sold on their mechanical condition. In any instance I try to split my time and money 50/50 between mechanical and cosmetic work. That way I know the shiny stuff is going to help me score.

I am entertained by situations like "the motivated seller". A lot of people whom unconsciously think "I'd buy that car if I could steal it" are a sucker for the term. And there are a lot of them out there. Funny, you can pick them out of a crowd and even recognize them from their voice on the phone.

But I am going up to the storage unit and retrieve my little Buick convertible in an hour. I was thinking of selling it this year. The sun is shining and I put new hydraulib rams in the top right before I put it away. Maybe I will sell it next year.

17 hours ago, Ed Luddy said:

Oh WOW! Is that car for sale???

I don't know, but this one is.

Pretty tired but same roof line.

st1.jpg.9c73eac0c93d32a754d847f1187e2e82.jpgst2.jpg.a6ed7350ee28afbd2c0f03cdc681c949.jpgst3.jpg.3bbea90d2df9d13578391ce28e13aa9b.jpgst4.jpg.fa5319b194f9d9eb22530e7b78fad5eb.jpg

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/cto/d/canyon-country-for-sale-1960-ford/7479661866.html

FOR SALE! 1960 FORD STARLINER FASTBACK - JET AGE GALAXIE LINE - $17,500 (LA)

FOR SALE! 1960 FORD STARLINER FASTBACK - JET AGE GALAXIE LINE

- Produced in limited numbers and due to their racing applications few survivors exist today
- Starliner character with thin roof pillars, aerodynamic fastback styling
- Extra original interior upholstery material included
- Extra original replacement headliner material included
- Strong, American steel

A relative passed away and left the car.

Survivor cars are the new gold standard for car collectors. The ultimate dream for collectors is finding and purchasing a low mileage survivor car.

To view call/text show contact Max 661-210-7975

• 4 weeks later...

The seller finally got back to me. Turns out he had some serious stuff happen at home. I mentioned to him I was still interested in the car. It took me a week to get back to him because my email was acting up. So a week later he got back to me saying the car is in the shop because he took it out and it broke down. So now I don’t know what is happening. I don’t know what broke down means to him. So I’m sitting here waiting with no idea what’s going on with a person who writes very vaguely in his emails. 

It’s amazing how many times I have heard that but nobody has shown me a car with no rot, good paint, and at that price. Since I think the front end of the ‘59 and ‘60 Edsels are boring as sin and look like every other ‘60s car it limits it quite a bit. Since the closest comparable car is 50% higher in price it makes the picking a little harder. Perhaps if the people who have condescending sarcasm offered me money to buy a more expensive car I would be able to move on from this one. (It’s comments like that that make me not want to be part of this group anymore..)

• Like 2

I'm sorry you took as condescending sarcasm, I didn't mean for you to take it so hard. I used to think of these forums as if it were a bunch of guys just hanging around a garage teasing each other a bit about what they're doing or want to be doing and offering advice if asked. But like all things there is an evolution and these forums are changing, some ways better, some ways worse. 

Good luck in your search I meant you no malice.

• Like 1

On 4/26/2022 at 5:37 AM, Fleetwood Meadow said:

I hate to ask this vague of a question on here, but the question has been brought up internally. I have always liked the quirky style behind the 1958 Edsel. My wife thinks they are ugly as sin. I have found one that is about 4 hours from me and priced at $9500. He states there are no rust holes, but I think I see one beginning on the passenger’s front fender. It isn’t anything I couldn’t handle. Other than that the body seems to be in pretty great shape, based on pictures. I have not seen the interior although he says that the front seat is ripped. A 3 year old picture shows the dash to be in good shape and the knobs not broken. I see no broken glass. He stated in the ad that the engine was rebuilt a couple years ago but runs rough and stalls. He said it is based on low compression in 2 of the cylinders. Based on the rough engine I believe $9500 is a little high. However I do not know how many of these cars are out there or what their value is. Before I travel the 4-5 hours in both directions to look at this car what are these cars known for in terms of issues and what do I look for on them? This would be my first Ford vehicle so I’m inexperienced with their quirks. This car has a column shift, not the push button in the steering wheel.

I hate that I have to say this but I have been disgusted many times on here by people bashing what others like. I like the style of the car, I do no care if you don’t like the look of them. And I do not want to hear “run, don’t walk” like I have in the past. We are grown ups and I am asking for grown up information. 

565E6829-FA22-45E9-A8DC-8D1E6D3D0A1F.jpeg

47E7EE13-53ED-4E76-B327-A03C004D5181.jpeg

80183468-0535-4FD2-917A-257AFB286EBF.jpeg

F12ADDE7-9098-424D-AA13-ECDA77DF4620.jpeg

WOWWW gorgeous !! I love !!! :wub: :wub::wub:
I really like this model, and here in France they are very very rare!
I've only seen one in 15 years, and the owner told me that there were only 2 1958 Edsel  in France (his and his father's)
The price is really cheap, here in France it takes more than €25,000 for a similar car in the same condition.

Beautiful ! :wub:

Dave I wouldn’t have taken it that way except every time I put something on here I get told how stupid I am for even looking at it. I had asked a question about a corvette on here earlier this year and got some of the most insulting responses about it I had to take the whole post down. When I have asked how to fix things on here I get comments about how ridiculous it is to fix it and just buy a new one. Unfortunately experiences here have ruined the good nature that I had when I first came on here. And everyone on here seems to have hundreds of thousands of dollars so to look at a car under $10k and have to think about finances is ridiculous to them. For a man in his mid-thirties I have to be smart with my money, especially in light of the obvious recession that we are come into, so for me to spend $20k on play car like the next one for sale is is just not feasible. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, Fleetwood Meadow said:

And everyone on here seems to have hundreds of thousands of dollars so to look at a car under $10k and have to think about finances is ridiculous to them. For a man in his mid-thirties I have to be smart with my money, especially in light of the obvious recession that we are come into, so for me to spend $20k on play car like the next one for sale is is just not feasible.

maybe you are dwelling on just certain people?  IDK...  I might do the same once in a while, but maybe just having a bad day.

You might go to the many other forums on here to see lots of members working on cars that were very rough, or so-called ''undesirable brands", or 4 doors etc.  Many other "viewers" that do work on inexpensive or rougher cars likely don't post about them here, perhaps thinking that they don't measure up?  Others do post their lower cost car project because they likely don't feel inferior, or simply don't even think about the possibility of a few people thinking they are foolish.  I like those build threads the most as I am amazed at what can be done by a beginner or a guy with simple tools, little extra money, but having tons of enthusiasm.  After 55 years of working on them, I now envy those who have not lost that enthusiasm and drive. 

The backbone of the hobby used to be people dragging a project car home and doing the best they could on a blue collar budget even if it took a long time.  Instead of staying out of the hobby because they couldn't afford/justify a mint car, they bought in at their price level and spent a bit of money each month or so as they needed more supplies/parts.  Like a payment plan, but no forced monthly payment like a loan for a better car.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Fleetwood Meadow said:

...every time I put something on here I get told how stupid I am for even looking at it. I had asked a question about a corvette on here earlier this year and got some of the most insulting responses about it I had to take the whole post down. When I have asked how to fix things on here I get comments about how ridiculous it is to fix it and just buy a new one. Unfortunately experiences here have ruined the good nature that I had when I first came on here. And everyone on here seems to have hundreds of thousands of dollars so to look at a car under $10k and have to think about finances is ridiculous to them.

If you like the vehicle, the hell with what someone else thinks of it. No matter who that someone is.

If you can swing this Edsel, get it, repair as needed and enjoy it, comfortable in the fact that you have something not everyone has (or likes😈) and is, no matter what its detractors say, significant in the American car industry.

If the guvmink had wooed McNamara away from Ford a little earlier, Edsel might have stood a chance. We Olds guys saw what happens when the parent company gets interested in filicide, same as Edsel. 

• Like 1

Lots of meat in this conversation.  A lot of people come here seeking "advice" when what they are really seeking is confirmation of something they already have strong opinions about.  When advice runs contrary, they sometimes feel like they are being attacked.  Nobody likes to be wrong in anyone's estimation so we can understand your feelings.  I remember an important thing about asking for advice though - "If you can't handle the answer, don't ask the question." 

I think everyone here has tried to provide their input but not all are in agreement, especially since you are watching the bucks and are working on a budget (like we most all are!).  In their own ways, people have been sensitive to that and advised against your purchase, but you are obviously set on this car even though the seller now begins to seem a bit "fishy" in the process.

Nobody is going to drop another one in your lap - it's up to you to dig and find one so if the one you want doesn't work out, get rolling and keep us advised of your adventure - that's what many of us enjoy.  The hunt can be more than half the fun.   As for the $$, I've always enjoyed working on those cheeep MGs, the Model T, and yes, even the GTO.  Not near "...hundreds of thousands of dollars" in them in total.  Wish I had that money to spend though- I'd add on to the garage and buy a nice Model A!

I personally don't think the Edsel is such a bad looking car, and that goes back to the day my uncle (who worked for Chrysler in R&D) took me to see the first of them in a Detroit show-room when they were introduced.  

I think Glenn (Rocketraider) has provided the best advice - if you want it, go for it and let us know how the project progresses, so please continue to share your adventures.

Terry

• Like 1

The only reason not to go look at this Edsel and make a reasonable offer is if your wife is still not on board. There is not a car out there that you should consider if she is absolutely against it. You will never enjoy that car if you do. It will be a bone of contrition when ever you spend any money on it. If she is somewhat ok then go for it and stop wasting good repair time talking about it. Have fun, I hope you get it and she enjoys it as much as you want it. 
dave s 

• Like 1

She has no problem with the car. She just thinks the front is ugly. She’d happily go for rides with me in it. I also started this post asking what to look for on an Edsel since different cars have different problem or tell-tale areas. I have to agree with Terry on two things. The first being that the seller is throwing up some flags by being so difficult to communicate with. In his defense he said his house was flooded so he is dealing with that. The other thing that I agree with is that Glenn is right, as others on here have said, with do what you want as long as you can feel justified in doing it. And for those who think I jumped overboard in my reaction to Dave I apologize. Sometimes interpretation is the downfall to us. If he had said it to me in person I would have heard how he was saying it and I probably would have laughed. But since it was in text I had to assume the intention. Dave I apologize for jumping at you. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Fleetwood Meadow said:

She has no problem with the car. She just thinks the front is ugly. She’d happily go for rides with me in it. I also started this post asking what to look for on an Edsel since different cars have different problem or tell-tale areas. I have to agree with Terry on two things. The first being that the seller is throwing up some flags by being so difficult to communicate with. In his defense he said his house was flooded so he is dealing with that. The other thing that I agree with is that Glenn is right, as others on here have said, with do what you want as long as you can feel justified in doing it. And for those who think I jumped overboard in my reaction to Dave I apologize. Sometimes interpretation is the downfall to us. If he had said it to me in person I would have heard how he was saying it and I probably would have laughed. But since it was in text I had to assume the intention. Dave I apologize for jumping at you. 

Well then, I'd say go for it. I only mentioned the wife bit because it's no fun going places alone or with someone who really doesn't want to be with you in the car.

• 1 month later...

Wayne, that thought did cross my mind. Sometimes things happen when they are supposed to and right now it wasn’t supposed to happen. I had a feeling it was an easy fix in that engine and with his local mechanic fixing it, it shows it didn’t need a rebuild like close friends of mine said they thought it needed. Let him enjoy it for a while and we will see if I get a random email from him. I wasn’t looking for a new car at the moment, this one just happened to show up so when the time is right another will.