Adventures in sorting my literature collection……

edinmass

Ok, so I moved to a new house over the weekend, and am about 80 percent done. That gave me an opportunity to see my photo and literature collection for the first time in seven years. The good news……I have a bunch of fantastic stuff I didn’t remember, and it’s now in a place where I can actually go through it and share it here. The bad news……..I was on the phone for two hours changing over the cable and internet. I had someone who’s English was their fifth language…….and they had only been studying it for half an hour. When I finished I was so pissed off……..it was a liquid lunch……..a new recorded for me, and I had to take an Uber home…………I wasn’t fit to walk, and driving wasn’t a consideration. My local bar keep said to me……never seen you like this in seven years…….that’s how the phone call went. Anyways, it’s all over but the hangover. No brain, no pain. My new neighborhood is rather up scale………to the west is a national news network anchor who’s dog is out of control,  to the east is a New York Times best selling author and cable tv commentator. The lady across the street has a house five times bigger than me, and gave me the finger for turning the GMC dually around in her driveway. Making friends already! It will be a few more days before I’m back here on my regular routine………so enjoy my time away! Ed.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 4
  • Haha 15

John has excellent advice , follow what he says, may I also add that you should wear a pair of spats on your shoes, or over your sneakers , sandals  what ever you wear in the warmer climate. 

• Haha 4

I was thinking about hooking up my 38 foot trailer that is a tag, behind my crew cab, and parking it in front of her house for a few days on the street. I’m sure that’ll go over like a lead balloon. I can crank up the computer controller and put so much smoke out the exhaust it’ll kill all the mosquitoes in the neighborhood. Or maybe I should be a real nice guy and bring JN565 over to visit, and hit the Bujur pump and dune a couple of pints on her designer tile driveway. 😉

• Haha 2

**IF** you mow your own lawn, feel free to try this:

About 25 yrs ago I had finished mowing the extensive lawn (at the house the ex- got because it had only a 2-car garage) and was edging the grass adjoining the sidewalk when a haughty middle-aged lady driving a large Mercedes stopped and said "You MUST do my lawns" (no compliment ahead of that, the only thing out of her mouth).  Dressed in my work attire, I replied, "But I get to sleep with the Lady of the House....."  She was gone in nanoseconds.

• Like 5
  • Haha 9

5 minutes ago, Grimy said:

**IF** you mow your own lawn, feel free to try this:

Strange thing about the Palm Beaches……..nobody I know mows their own lawn…..none. Same thing with cleaning the pool. And a dozen other normal things that 99 percent of the world does on their own. There is no basis for reality here. None. A guy at breakfast a short time ago mentioned to me his grandfather bought three Hispano’s new……as well as a Springfield Rolls, A KB Lincoln, Packard 12, SC Cord Sportsman, and a bunch of other stuff. I now have all the paperwork in my hands related to the cars and family, and it will be in an article some day……sooner than later. Fastening stuff………

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, edinmass said:

Strange thing about the Palm Beaches……..nobody I know mows their own lawn…..none. Same thing with cleaning the pool. And a dozen other normal things that 99 percent of the world does on their own. There is no basis for reality here. None. A guy at breakfast a short time ago mentioned to me his grandfather bought three Hispano’s new……as well as a Springfield Rolls, A KB Lincoln, Packard 12, SC Cord Sportsman, and a bunch of other stuff. I now have all the paperwork in my hands related to the cars and family, and it will be in an article some day……sooner than later. Fastening stuff………

Ed, I should have known better than to think that you would mow your own lawn....  🙂

32 minutes ago, Grimy said:

Ed, I should have known better than to think that you would mow your own lawn....  🙂

I have cut my own grass all my life till I moved here. When in Rome…….as they say.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, 60FlatTop said:

You know, you can really get them buzzing with a few shadow figures strategically placed. The Big Foot one is popular in these parts.

Woodworking Pattern Leaning Cowgirl Only Shadow Yard Plans Spurs Saddle |  eBay

We need agreement on what "Flori-duh Man" looks like (some friends say they know), but pink flamingos will do in the meantime.  A stuck-in-Fifties-stuff friend puts out Christmas decor including a sleigh pulled by 6 pink flamingos.

• Like 1

George……all those horrific Walmart shopper photos you see………all taken in Florida. They are just the tip of the iceberg! 😏

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, edinmass said:

... , it’s all over but the hangover ... ! Ed.

What is this "hangover" you're referring to ??? Something to do with inexperience or novices consuming adult beverages ?

I think I've had couple of them, but in my defense, first was at the age of 12 and second at 15.

• Haha 1

... , it’s all over but the hangover ... ! Ed.

hangover probably caused by drinking that Canadian stuff instead of good Kentucky bourbon like Woodford Reserve or Barkleys 

dave s 

cograts on the new house. 
how many garages? 

Edited by SC38dls (see edit history)

1 hour ago, edinmass said:

Strange thing about the Palm Beaches……..nobody I know mows their own lawn…..none. Same thing with cleaning the pool. And a dozen other normal things that 99 percent of the world does on their own. There is no basis for reality here. None.

I don't think I could live in a place like that?

However, I have always been a misfit. I love to wear a three piece suit, tie, proper hat, the works! But I cannot stand to do the kind of work where a suit would be expected. I have always been a "jump in and just do it" kind of a guy. I may have been a part time engineer and cutting edge technology sort? But I also had no qualms about grabbing a shovel and digging up a failed cable! I don't drink, but enjoy the company of people that do, and like classical music more than any other kind (and I like a lot of musical genres).

Driveways are supposed to have oil stains. And if sumthin' needs fixin'? Tear it apart where she sits an' fix it!

Take the 1915 model T out for a good long drive, then park it in the street in front of their houses!    (No, better not. People like that can usually be very controlling, and often have connections that do not respect the rights of others!)

18 hours ago, TTR said:

Ed in his Pebble Beach driving tour outfit ?

An impostor……..I ALWAYS run commando! 😝

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Grimy said:

'Bout the only commando you know how to do, my friend....  🙂

Nope…..my arsenal makes most third world countries blush in shame. If we ever have another civil war, I can supply the good guys for a few months. My Boy Scout training…..Be prepared! I’m in my 50’s………so I have one! 😎

• Like 1

Ed, I think you are missing an opportunity.  I say get the Deusey out, shine it up good, put on your best outfit, and knock gently on her door.  Invite her out for a pleasant ride as a way of introduction.

If she disses you, just say, "Thank you, ma'am", bow politely, and then feel completely entitled to do whatever you please in the future.  There could also be a 2% chance that you'll make a new friend.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Unfortunately my looks and personality often cause people to pre judge me before they get to know me. After a few years, they usually find their first impression was 100 percent spot on! 😏

I’m ok only having friends with gasoline in their veins. They are much more interesting than the 99 percent of the general population. 

Remember the good old days of car collecting? A bunch of misfits that would be the good makings of an insane asylum? Today, car collectors are much too normal. I don’t march to the beat of a different drum, I march to the voices in my head……..they keep saying buy more cars………..the stranger the better!

• Like 4

18 hours ago, prewarnut said:

I think you need to buy a large military vehicle and have it strategically parked, or should I say aimed.

I pass an American Legion hall on one of the trips I have to make every so often. It has a tank and a tracked troop transport out front.  (impressive since it's some little nowhere town with a tiny population).  

I would love to have the tank and thought that was the coolest lawn ornament of all. 

I wish I had space to sort my literatature collection. I've been collecting publications, and not just on cars, as long as I've been alive. Although about half of it is car stuff. For now it's in my storage unit which is less sorted than some of the tornado damage I've seen on tv. 

1 hour ago, edinmass said:

Unfortunately my looks and personality often cause people to pre judge me before they get to know me. After a few years, they usually find their first impression was 100 percent spot on! 😏

I’m ok only having friends with gasoline in their veins. They are much more interesting than the 99 percent of the general population. 

I'm sure you'll be okay having friends with gasoline in their vans! And yes, they are much more interesting than 99 percent if the general population!!

Craig

22 hours ago, edinmass said:

Strange thing about the Palm Beaches……..nobody I know mows their own lawn…..none. Same thing with cleaning the pool. And a dozen other normal things that 99 percent of the world does on their own. There is no basis for reality here. None.

Sounds like Palm Springs.

My brother moved there and got lazy.

2 hours ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

Does the new place have garage space Ed?  

Zero…..no garage. In this neighborhood, it adds another 250k to the cost of the home. And that’s a 10x20.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, edinmass said:

Zero…..no garage. In this neighborhood, it adds another 250k to the cost of the home. And that’s a 10x20.

Well, perhaps park an enclosed trailer on street in front of your new neighbor's place every few days? "Got any grey poupon for my Fenway Franks babe?  I am grilling over here at the shack, plenty to share, along with the king of beers, you in?"  That might get you more than the finger. 😉😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

A 9000 sq foot building lot here is just a touch over 1.5. Then toss a 800k block house on it. It’s not exactly a starter home area. The nice places start at 3 miles…….and the sky is the limit. Makes the 1.25 acre lot that just sold less than a mile from me for 185 miles…….yes, that’s a 185 million dollar building lot……..look like a steal!

PS- my new place is the poor man’s special. 1100 sq feet, 5000 sq foot lot. All for just under 3/4 of a mile. No privacy, but a fantastic neighborhood. I’m less than two minutes from the shop…….and that is priceless.

• Like 3