Where do you think the pick up truck market is heading?

Larry Schramm

My brother ordered a new Ram quite awhile ago and is still waiting. I think the recent deal was it was going to be delivered within 30 days. His new rv has been waiting at the dealer for a couple of months now until the truck comes in.

As far as the gauges, probably not digital and analog, I am sure they are all digital just a different face that shows. Same thing on my wifes mustang.

Current truck pricing is more a product of availability than fuel economy.  A lot of people do not believe, myself included, that the current gas prices are sustainable and we will return to market normalcy sooner rather than later.  Even with boycotts of Russian oil we have the capacity to produce way more oil than we need and the administration will have to fold on its anti fossil fuel rampage before the next presidential election if not the midterms .  After the initial enthusiasm for EV trucks has run its course you will see a return to fossil fuel as the range and HP of EVs won't  support the truck market.  I think the EV truck market will be about as successful as the early GM diesel engine effort was in cars.  Unless we make a major techknowledgey leap and spend TRILLIONS in EV infrastructure the whole pure EV market will collapse.  Hybrid cars have a future in this country in the next twenty years but the increase in MPG is barely worth the cost difference without the subsidies which will have to go away and are an admission that the numbers don't work.  The biggest thing that can be done to bring the cost of new trucks down will be improved supply chain efforts and getting chip production moved to more friendly countries.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If there is no future electric capacity then we are in a heap of trouble.  How can we build new houses, shopping centers and factories if there is no way to power them?  A morning read in my paper indicates the access to the “low hanging fruit” of oil field has already been tapped dry. Yes there are more reserves to drill, the best are off shore rigs that take time and money to build.  The onshore reserves require bigger investments in drilling equipment that is no where near ready to start up.  A smarter approach is to look at usage and find ways to use less.  Hybrid and full electric cars are a move in that direction.  Gasoline may continue short term but at some point we have to look at our energy uses and the continuing cycle of we use way too much and get caught up in these high price events every XX years.  Certainly electric or even hydrogen powered vehicles and their technology continues to evolve.  Will that be the answer for the next 100 years, I don’t know.  In the next 25 years, most certainly.

As long as the majority of cars are front wheel drive, as long as gasoline price, tax, oil resources (we have plenty of oil) are not restricted or manipulated and companies are allowed free market supply and demand and access there will be a strong market for trucks. 

• Like 1

And if you gents do start to run short of oil, up here in Western Canada we are almost swimming in it. Unfortunately the pipeline that was going to be  bringing it South to your refineries was on the environmental movements hit list.

After that there is always the Canadian Arctic, but now I really am dreaming. Back in the early 1980's I was in a accelerated training program intended to provide Engineers for the Canadian Arctic, oil industry. Just as I graduated the Canadian Arctic shut down. Lots of oil, just like Alaska's North Slope. But the price in the mid 1980's was too low compared to production costs.

I ended up spending 30 years on Costal vehicle Ferries.

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)
  • Like 1

The newspaper story said the oil drillers want the higher prices to remain high for a long time to justify the investment costs of the new explorations and drilling, but we collectively want more oil to drive the prices down which discourages new exploration. 🤔 Somewhere you reach an equilibrium point where prices are tolerable and profits are acceptable. For those who need a truck for work, that need will remain for the foreseeable future. 

One of the largest oil finds in Texas was the start of all of this. It was a field others said was played out.  A speculator bought the field and started drilling. He hit oil by going deeper than anyone else thought there was oil.  The Spindletop gusher blew for 9 days at a rate estimated at 100,000 barrels of oil per day.[3] Gulf Oil and Texaco, now part of Chevron Corporation, were formed to develop production at Spindletop. The Spindletop discovery led the United States into the oil age. Prior to Spindletop, oil was primarily used for lighting and as a lubricant. Because of the quantity of oil discovered, burning petroleum as a fuel for mass consumption suddenly became economically feasible. How many more fields have oil deeper than originally pumped out? No one really knows how much oil is down there, it is a best guess based on how good the current scientific instruments are to detect it. 
The damage the same oil is doing to the planet has a much better scientific track record on what is happening. Spindletop farm in Lexington KY was owned by the speculator that found the oil. They later gave the alumni association for U of KY the farm at a very good price but have the right to buy it back at the same price if the association decides to sell. 
dave s 

Edited by SC38dls (see edit history)

IMO the pick up truck market will continue to rise with the cost of inflation. Economics will tell you that what holds a price down will be the cost of a substitute. Think of Coke and Pepsi. If Coke raises its price more people will turn to Pepsi as this is a reasonable substitute. There is no substitute for a truck. I need a 3/4 ton truck to pull my 10,000 lbs trailer, there is no substitute which is why the price will continue to rise and the resale is high. Many commercial trucks also  need to carry a large load so businesses continue to buy trucks. Even a half ton truck has a typical GVWR of 9000 lbs, which means that if the vehicle weighs 4000 lbs, you can safely handle 5000 lbs. Which is a small trailer (21 ft).

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, ted sweet said:

all i now is if gas is over 5 bucks i cant  afford to attend hershey

Four door trucks attached to travel trailers is all I remember of the Chocolate field from the last time I went to Hershey. And they were parked tight to territorialize the multiple spaces. It was pretty bad, slabs of aluminum sheet and only a hint of vendor sales.

I am thinking about going this year mostly for the Saturday show and the walk around the car corral.

It is a 700 miles round trip for me at $0.25 per mile on $4.00 gas in my truck. I should be able to get the $175 for gas and a couple hundred for a motel through Ebay and Craigslist and leave the swap meet to the campers.

I have been involved with energy management since the first oil crisis in 1972. During that time I have seen the economy measures, optimization, energy saving investments, and calculated paybacks are not really the answer to high costs of fuel or energy. One needs to focus on how to get more money. Once that concept rises to consciousness things get a lot less frustrating.

• Like 1

On 3/19/2022 at 1:43 PM, SC38dls said:

One of the largest oil finds in Texas was the start of all of this. It was a field others said was played out.  A speculator bought the field and started drilling. He hit oil by going deeper than anyone else thought there was oil.  The Spindletop gusher blew for 9 days at a rate estimated at 100,000 barrels of oil per day.[3] Gulf Oil and Texaco, now part of Chevron Corporation, were formed to develop production at Spindletop. The Spindletop discovery led the United States into the oil age. Prior to Spindletop, oil was primarily used for lighting and as a lubricant. Because of the quantity of oil discovered, burning petroleum as a fuel for mass consumption suddenly became economically feasible. How many more fields have oil deeper than originally pumped out? No one really knows how much oil is down there, it is a best guess based on how good the current scientific instruments are to detect it. 
The damage the same oil is doing to the planet has a much better scientific track record on what is happening. Spindletop farm in Lexington KY was owned by the speculator that found the oil. They later gave the alumni association for U of KY the farm at a very good price but have the right to buy it back at the same price if the association decides to sell. 
dave s 

Subject: FW: U.S. OIL SUPPLY.....INCREDIBLE

U.S. OIL SUPPLY.....INCREDIBLE 

About 6 months ago, there was a news program on oil and one of The Forbes Bros. was the guest.  The host said to Forbes, "I am going to ask you a direct question and I would like a direct answer; how much oil does the U.S. Have in the ground?" Forbes did not miss a beat, he said, "More than all the Middle East put Together."
The U.S. Geological Service issued a report in April 2008 that only Scientists and oil men knew was coming, but man was it big.  It was a revised report (hadn't been updated since 1995) on how much oil was in this area of the western 2/3 of North Dakota, western South Dakota, and Extreme eastern Montana.
Check THIS out:
The Bakken is the largest domestic oil discovery since Alaska's Prudhoe Bay and has the potential to eliminate all American dependence on foreign oil. The Energy Information Administration (EIA) estimates it at 503 billion barrels. Even if just 10% of the oil is recoverable (5 Billion barrels), at $107 a barrel, we're looking at a resource base worth more than $5.3 trillion.  "When I first briefed legislators on this, you could practically see their Jaws hit the floor.
They had no idea." says Terry Johnson, the Montana Legislature's financial analyzer.  "This sizable find is now the highest-producing onshore oil field found in the past 56 years," reports The Pittsburgh Post Gazette.
It's a formation known as the Williston Basin but is more commonly referred to as the 'Bakken.'  It stretches from Northern Montana, through North Dakota and into Canada. For years, U.S. Oil exploration has been considered a dead end.  Even the 'Big Oil' companies gave up searching for major oil wells decades ago.
However, a recent technological breakthrough has opened up the Bakken's Massive reserves, And, we now have access of up to 500 billion barrels. And because this is Light, sweet oil, those billions of barrels will cost Americans just $16 PER BARREL!!!!!  That's enough crude to fully fuel the American economy for 2041 years Straight. And if THAT didn't throw you on the floor, then this next one should - Because it's from 2006 !!!!!!
U.S. Oil Discovery - Largest Reserve in the World Stansberry Report Online - 4/20/2006.  Hidden 1,000 feet beneath the surface of the Rocky Mountains lies the Largest untapped oil reserve in the world.  It is more than 2 TRILLION barrels. On August 8, 2005 President Bush Mandated its extraction.  In many recent years of high oil prices none has been extracted. With this mother lode of oil why are we still fighting over off-shore Drilling?
They reported this stunning news:  We have more oil inside our borders, than all the other proven reserves on Earth.
Here are the official estimates:
          8 times as much oil as Saudi Arabia
          18 times as much oil as Iraq
          21 times as much oil as Kuwait
          22 times as much oil as Iran
          500 times as much oil as Yemen
And it's all right here in the Western United States !!!!!!
HOW can this BE? HOW can we NOT BE extracting this? Because the Environmentalists and others have blocked all efforts to help America become Independent of foreign oil!  Again, we are letting a small group of people Dictate our lives and our economy. WHY?
James Bartis, lead researcher with the study says we've got more oil in this very compact area than the entire Middle East, more than 2 TRILLION barrels Untapped. That's more than all the proven oil reserves of crude oil in the World today, reports The Denver Post.
Don't think 'OPEC' will drop its price even with this find? Think again!  It's all about the competitive marketplace, it has to. Think OPEC just might be funding the environmentalists?
Got your attention yet? Now, while you're thinking about it, do this:
Pass this along. If you don't take a little time to do this, then you should stifle yourself the next time you complain about gas prices, by doing NOTHING, you forfeit your right to complain.
Now I just wonder what would happen in this country if every one of you sent this to everyone in your address book.
By the way, this can be verified. Check it out at the link below !!!!!!

https://www.usgs.gov/news/national-news-release/usgs-releases-oil-and-gas-assessment-bakken-and-three-forks-formations

The USGS has completed an oil and gas estimate for the Bakken and Three Forks Formations in the Williston Basin of Montana and North Dakota. The estimate includes 4.3 billion barrels of unconventional oil and 4.9 trillion cubic feet of unconventional natural gas in the two formations.
www.usgs.gov

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Pfeil said:

INCREDIBLE

More incredible is that the big puddle of black gold west of the Garrison Diversion Project was discovered in early 70's and after the discovery the test wells were capped because "we" wanted to keep it a secret until the rest of the world was out of oil.

On 3/20/2022 at 3:23 PM, 60FlatTop said:

Four door trucks attached to travel trailers is all I remember of the Chocolate field from the last time I went to Hershey. And they were parked tight to territorialize the multiple spaces. It was pretty bad, slabs of aluminum sheet and only a hint of vendor sales.

I am thinking about going this year mostly for the Saturday show and the walk around the car corral.

It is a 700 miles round trip for me at $0.25 per mile on $4.00 gas in my truck. I should be able to get the $175 for gas and a couple hundred for a motel through Ebay and Craigslist and leave the swap meet to the campers.

I have been involved with energy management since the first oil crisis in 1972. During that time I have seen the economy measures, optimization, energy saving investments, and calculated paybacks are not really the answer to high costs of fuel or energy. One needs to focus on how to get more money. Once that concept rises to consciousness things get a lot less frustrating.

FYI  The show is on Friday this year due to a conflict with Hershey entertainment.

I guess I'll just have to keep driving the old White. Can't seem to make enough money hauling with it to buy a new one. The Ad said there was more profit per mile than old Doblin and less down time. Mostly it sleeps now since the repeal of the 18th amendment. Dandy Dave! IMG_3202.JPG.14d47406c936f0932fb0ec3b43f651b6.JPG

• Like 3

Dave.......with the huge investment of a used bed........you will never get your White truck paid off. Them fancy tires are also over the top...........what’s next? An oil change with good used oil? 😏

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, edinmass said:

Dave.......with the huge investment of a used bed........you will never get your White truck paid off. Them fancy tires are also over the top...........what’s next? An oil change with good used oil? 😏

Gonna have to. No one has hired to run moonshine in years. They say I'm too slow. 😜 🤪 🙃.

• Like 1

I'm not sure a nice classic truck would suit me, tying 16' molding to the mirrors along with 20' sticks of pipe.....  They fit great through the mirror brackets of my 84 F-150...🤗

One time I put the molding through the sliding rear window and placed the ends on the dashboard. Hoped someone would not rear end me and push the molding through the windshield.😉

• Like 1