QLD & NSW Australia Flooding

Vintageben

Just a heads up to spare a thought for you Aussie cousins. Major Flooding occurring in South East QLD and Northern NSW. 
We have our cars on higher ground, hopefully high enough. Preparing the house for inundation and going to leave shortly ourselves. We may end up camping with the cars, hay, snakes and everything else that these events bring out. 
Anyway best of luck to everyone and we will check in later. 
Cheers Ben

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yeah by the sound we are looking at bigger then the biggest on record! I’m now fully expecting water in the house hopefully not too much. We have had over 400mm for the 24hrs! I may have spilt a little while tipping the gauge. This is on top of the 300+ in the five days leading up. For the last 6months we have been have 200+mm per month so I guess it was setting up for it. 

One of my colleagues from work lives in Brisvegas and posted hourly photos as the water level came up around and eventually covered a bunch of cars from his apartment. He moved his Yaris GR to higher ground already (as it would just about be impossible to replace at this point) is going to be a mess to clean up

stay safe everyone 

31 minutes ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

What is the terrain in the area?  Is it very flat, 

or does everyone have plenty of high ground

to which to move some things?

South east Queensland is some of the most densely populated areas in Australia and including Brisbane is home to nearly 4 million people (the vast population of Queensland) and has very varied terrain though there are a lot less options for roads compared to Melbourne and the main freeway is presently cut

The situation is real bad people are stuck on or in rooves. We are okay at the moment. Land where we are is flat except for the flood reserves we have created. This will really test those I may not reply for a while as we are going to be real busy. Thinking of our mates in the Tweed Valley as well as it sounds pretty horrific up there. 

2CD28659-AA31-48B1-B433-613F755F3788.jpeg

E4771E21-44C7-4589-BA59-59C5645FA910.jpeg

• Like 1

Hi Ben!  Good luck to you and your family and friends!  We on this forum will be thinking of you and hoping for the best...  Be safe and don't take any chances with moving water!  Greg

1 hour ago, Sasha39 said:

Oh no, not the new Shed! Sorry to see mate but living in Queensland I would have thought you'd build a Queenslander style shed you know on stilts.

If there's anything I can do mate you know the number.

Thanks for the kind words mate, you can just see that the water line was just below the shed floor level, but this pic was taken on Saturday, Sunday was another story. On Sunday it was about 4" above the floor level, clean up today, but both cars are all ok.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, maok said:

Thanks for the kind words mate, you can just see that the water line was just below the shed floor level, but this pic was taken on Saturday, Sunday was another story. On Sunday it was about 4" above the floor level, clean up today, but both cars are all ok.

That’s no bloody good mate. We have headed to my folks now. House will definitely have water in it. Never been this high before. We would have water in the house fully expected that it could go to the ceiling.

Cars are okay at the moment but...... It’s going metres above any records not sure what to think at the moment. As long as all our mates are okay now that’s all that matters 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ozstatman said:

My wife and I were watching that live. Heartstopping when the crewman and rescuer were entangled in the TV aerial when being winched from the roof!

Watching the news you get a sense of just how dangerous it is for the rescuers 

though in one of the more Aussie things someone was riding their JetSki drinking a beer in the floods 

1 hour ago, Fossil said:

Wishing you and your family the best. Seems like just yesterday you folks were struggling with drought and forest fires.

The second verse of a poem by Dorothea MacKeller "My Country" contains the following lines which describes what you're saying.

● I love a sunburnt country,

● A land of sweeping plains,

● Of ragged mountain ranges,

● Of droughts and flooding rains.

Learnt at school over 60 years ago, I wonder if they still teach it?

I'm more partial to "I am Australian" which we had to sing in school (sucks to be the teacher that had to listen to that...) 

From the Australian equivilant of the superbowl in the 90's...  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ozstatman said:

The second verse of a poem by Dorothea MacKeller "My Country" contains the following lines which describes what you're saying.

● I love a sunburnt country,

● A land of sweeping plains,

● Of ragged mountain ranges,

● Of droughts and flooding rains.

Learnt at school over 60 years ago, I wonder if they still teach it?

My first wife came from Alice Springs.  She knew it well.

On 3/1/2022 at 1:31 PM, hidden_hunter said:

Brisbane has received over 40” of rain or 80% of its annual total in 3 days…

Been there and done that in British Columbia last November.  Floods, washouts, mudslides, all of our highways closed for weeks.  Some areas are still drying out.

On 3/2/2022 at 4:53 PM, hidden_hunter said:

I'm more partial to "I am Australian" which we had to sing in school (sucks to be the teacher that had to listen to that...) 

From the Australian equivilant of the superbowl in the 90's...  

This is very cool; G'Ablett, Ling, Brownless, etc.

On 3/3/2022 at 7:51 PM, Craig Gillingham said:

This is very cool; G'Ablett, Ling, Brownless, etc.

Gee the way the camera panned on Geelong, you think they were the only team playing. Funny as it was the West Coast Eagles who reigned supreme with a walloping. Geelong coach Malcom Blight quit after the loss only to find two premierships with Adelaide Crows in 1997 and 1998.

Amazing how young the players were 😊😊😊😊

Rodney 😊😊😊😊😊😊😊😊😊

37DECCD5-7FB3-4819-A908-AAA7AE4B875A.png

• Like 1

Thanks for all the kind words. We did get water in the house but nothing as bad as some. We have been real busy here, doing supply runs for others and helping others clean up their home. 
To say things are a mess would be an understatement. I would like to make some other comments but I think it would probably break forum rules so I will restrain myself from doing so. 
Sadly there has been some loss of life and it won’t surprise me if we see more. I already know of several vintage cars that have been completely submerged hopefully these will be rebuilt and not destroyed. Anyway thanks again for the support, I may or may not be on here for a few days with all the work that has to happen. 
Cheers Ben

• Like 1

I am in Toowoomba SE Queensland, about 100km from the capital Brisbane.  I am high and dry despite three weeks of constant rain.

Rainfall of over 400 millimetres (16 in) was recorded across the greater Brisbane area.[4] In the three days to 28 February, greater Brisbane received 676.8 millimetres (26.65 in) of rainfall, the largest three, and seven, day total ever recorded in Brisbane.[5] 

Mount Glorious is about 20 miles from Brisbane and received in excess of 1,770 millimetres (70 in) of rainfall in the week until 28 February.[6] The rainfall recorded was higher than that of the 1974 Brisbane flood, with 30 locations across the south-east recording in excess of 1000 millimetres.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, hidden_hunter said:

The ABC is reporting from the BOM that NSW is in for a 'tough 24 hours' with more rain predicted  - up to another 6" in Sydney and more in other areas

Stay safe guys

Yes, it is looking very, very ugly for those in Northern NSW Southern QLD

• 3 weeks later...

Off to build an Ark again. Cars are up again, actually I had only moved one of them down since the last flood. Thought we had dodged a bullet until about 8:30 last night when intense rain started again. Anyway  have beer in fridge and boat ready to go so I guess that’s something. I will be happy if we don’t get water in the house again. Will have to wait and see. 

Edited by Vintageben
Spelling corrections (see edit history)
  • Like 1