Trying to date this photo

dalef62

Newest car I see is about a 32 or 33 Ford coupe (right side of your 1st pic), the front car on the left is a 28 or 29 Model A.

Terry

Edited by Terry Bond (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Quaint place then, wonder if the railroad track in the near foreground had anything to do with the 1933 fire? Showers of sparks from steam locomotives performing switching duties on spurs and sidings were a constant source of fires.   Of course, there were many others as well. 

Apparently, not all of Sykesville's downtown burned in the 1933 fire.  When I was growing up in Baltimore in the 1950s and 1960s, Sykesville was the end of the world, far from anywhere.

Here is the old main street of Sykesville, 2019.

455474926_sykesvillemd2019.png.fdd327d4de4c4a245d9a546067bbc096.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Since we are speculating, I keep looking at the "hummer" and I think it's a bus. Probably with a really wide body, but a hood, radiator, and fenders about like everything else on the street if there were enough detail in the picture to make it out.

I also think it is the back of a truck, so the cars only tell us how old it could be, so most likely 1932ish.  My Grandfather had the newest car in town (small town in Wisconsin) till after WW2, it was a 1933 Graham he purchased in 1935.  He would let other town people barrow the Graham to run to the "big city" for doctors appointments all the way up till 1945.  He also said it was not uncommon at all, in the 1930's, to see horses on the road.  So it sort of is a trick question.  I would use 1932 as a baseline and find dated pictures of downtown to try to establish the newest date.  The great depression took out a lot of businesses, should be some signs missing.

• Like 2

On 1/6/2022 at 1:37 PM, classiclines said:

I think the Hummer, traveling back from the future, set the buildings ablaze beyond the stone building on the right 😁

I was gonna say time traveler. Like the photos you see on the internet (gotta be true) of a beach scene in 1940 and a closeup of a guy on a cell phone.

Just now, Peter Gariepy said:

Im thinking it's a horse drawn something, shot from behind.  It looks like legs in-between the the wheels.

Screen Shot 2022-01-06 at 9.53.58 AM.png

We are referring to the one way back, left of the horse drawn vehicle.

On 1/6/2022 at 11:26 AM, keiser31 said:

That coupe on the right could be a Model A or maybe a 1932 Ford 5 window.

I dunno.  It appears to have a bright radiator shell which would make it Model A rather than 32.  But it also appears to have disc wheels which would make it non-Ford.  Just not enough detail to tell for sure.

23 hours ago, keiser31 said:

Or the tail end of a stake bed truck....

That's my thought as well.