Brake master cylinder rebuilding.

Rivguy

Has anyone had their brake parts rebuilt by Apple hydraulics in New York? I was thinking that I might give them a try before I spend the big bucks for new units. I'm interested in both positive and negative feedback. Is this an okay topic?

Discussed recently. Type Apple Hydraulics in the search box above. I did and found the discussions.

If they use brass I will send them something. I thought when this was discussed last time it was said they all used stainless. I want brass. That's what some "expert" said to get and I am inclined to agree.

Send us empty casting (all fittings, bleeders, etc. removed) and we will clean it, resleeve with brass to standard size and return, so you can reassemble using kit you provide.

https://www.applehydraulicsonline.com/

Send us empty casting (all fittings, bleeders, etc. removed) and we will clean it, resleeve with brass to standard size and return, so you can reassemble using kit you provide. Prices are same as for American cylinders, with some exceptions: Prices below are approximate.

Please visit your car listing for more accurate pricing.

Master cylinder, single circuit (most pre 1967) - $145

• Like 1

20 hours ago, SuperJonas said:

I believe he meant to say 'Karps' in Upland, California.

I've used Karps Power Brake Service several times and was always pleased with the results; master cylinders/power brake boosters/brake hoses made, good stuff!

It was awhile ago you are correct it was Karps

1 hour ago, JustDave said:

Of brass or stainless is one actually better or just a personal preference,does anyone actually know

No. You will get 100 opinions. :D

The old highly regarded original, who have been advertising this service so long I can't even remember when it started (1970s?), is White Post Restorations. They use brass. They also have an outright ban on silicone brake fluid. It will void your warranty. Plenty of people in these forums, myself included, have speculated why that might be. Only the owner of White Post knows for sure. I am not currently using silicone fluid in any antiques, but I have used it in the past and am not going to rule it out in the future. Some other outfit was using stainless back in the day, but I think they were only putting sleeves in Corvette disc brakes. If I remember correctly the first general sleeving services to pop up other than White Post used stainless.

Today there are multiple vendors for either material. I like stainless, but I'm not committed to it. If you can't decide, throw a dart. :D

I had Apple redo the shocks and master cylinder for my 1930 Franklin several years ago.  Was satisfied with all their work, and would recommend them.

On 12/16/2021 at 5:55 AM, 8E45E said:

There is White Post in VA who does complete rebuilds:  https://whitepost.com/brake-sleeving-rebuilding-services/

Craig

I used them many years ago to resleeve a Morris Minor master cylinder. So they have been at it for a while.

On 12/18/2021 at 11:01 AM, mike6024 said:

Brass is smoother on the inside so the rubber cup does not wear so much.

Surface of stainless can be "rough" and you can sense that when using stainless nuts and bolts.

This is not necessarily true. The surface finish of ANY material is dependent on the machinist and the time they are willing to invest in the work. Both brass and stainless CAN be finished to a mirror smoothness.

Now one thing that is a physical difference is that brass is a softer material and therefore tends to wear faster. Even this is not 100% as alloys can harden or soften metals. Bronze tends to have the best properties of brass with a much harder and wear resistant properties. I do not know of anyone who is using bronze for sleeves, unless the guys saying "Brass" are actually using Bronze, but I doubt it as the materials cost would be much higher.

This is actually a bit funny as there is an almost exact same argument about brass or stainless for brake sleeves going on over on a machinists forum I am a member of.....  Hmmmm, same answer here as I gave there, Either will work great and outlast most of us in an antique auto application 😇.

• Like 1

I came across a company in the UK, Past Parts, been doing this for three decades. I needed just my Girling servo/booster hydraulic block sleeved and reassembled with new seals etc in order to save on shipping I would install the vacuum chamber, White Pine and Apple both would do the sleeves only, no assembly and in brass(bronze) for $250. 

Past Parts sleeves in stainless only and rebuilt the hydraulics with the parts kit I supplied for £110 including shipping back to Canada. Shipping to UK was about $30USD, for a total cost of $170USD and received the finished part back in 35 days.

Worth checking out.

https://www.pastparts.co.uk

This is the disassembled block I sent along with new parts, and the assembled component.

F661572C-4D56-4D72-8151-EFEC240B2BCB.jpeg

9BD6913A-D20D-4D0D-A7D3-DA29A0ECDB45.jpeg

Edited by jgcoutts (see edit history)
  • Like 1