Why you don’t buy a Ferrari after retirement.

I had the same experience as John at the NY Auto Show . It was on Press Day for journalists and I recall several people telling others to " hey look what Walt is doing!"  as they knew of my interest in older automobiles. The late journalists Carlos Escodero and Joe Oldham both were chuckling and forever after reminded me of that.

• Like 1

About 40 years ago I worked as a mechanic at the Volvo/Saab/Triumph dealership that belonged to the late Ted Leonard (he of Gatsby RR note). I worked with a gentleman named Don Dugal whose regular job was prepping the traded in used cars. Don was a great mechanic and I owe him a lot...I'll always remember him looking over his glasses at me and saying "try the simple things first"! In any case, Don had a reputation for being able to tune difficult cars. The Northeast Volvo Rep, Lars, had his Ferrari sent up on a flatbed for Don to tune. If I remember correctly, it was a 1957 or 58 and I've no idea what model. Don worked with it all afternoon and, near the end of the day handed me the keys and told me to take it for a test drive. "Me" I said. Once more he looked over his glasses and reminded me "I'm 6'4" tall...I can't even get in it."

I never got it out of 3rd...

Edited by JV Puleo (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Two friends have Z06 Corvettes. I can barely get in and out of passenger side. If I ever got into the driver's seat I'd be like the guy in the video.

Around 15 years ago even GM F bodies were proving troublesome to get in and out of. I have always tried to carry myself a little gracefully but that got near impossible in TransAMs.

I'm 6'5" and 67 years old. That is me with most standard size cars-and people wonder why I drive a full-size SUV! Not only that, it's a safety issue for me. When we bought our Expedition, we originally looked at the Escape and Explorer (trying to be eco-conscious-hahaha). The distance between my knee and my foot is actually longer than the distance between the steering wheel and the brake pedal, necessitating that I turn my leg side-ways to hit the brake.  I don't want to have to think about that in an emergency stop!!

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

First, I will say that high performance vehicles are made for younger people. You don't see 70 year olds flying fighter jets!!!

Second, My youngest son looks at me every time I get my 32 Ford out of the garage just thinking to himself,

"It won't be long now and it's mine"!

Waynes 32.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, R W Burgess said:

First, I will say that high performance vehicles are made for younger people. You don't see 70 year olds flying fighter jets!!!

Second, My youngest son looks at me every time I get my 32 Ford out of the garage just thinking to himself,

Waynes 32.jpg

This car brings back a great memory.

in or around 2005 a gent I met at Hershey in 2004 asked if I would bring my 1972 Triumph TR6 down to Richmond, VA from PA.  His Triumph region was hosting a national meet on Brown’s Island (site of the Confederate  munitions manufacturing works).  

They planned a special display of Triumphs of every year in a circle.  I drove down.  Went into their hospitality room at the Embassy Suites hotel only to find mostly young people that were somewhat clique oriented.  I phoned Wayne who baled me out asking if I would rather go along to a local car show meet with his son Mike.  Sure, why not.  Standing in front of the hotel on a quiet Richmond Saturday along with people waiting for cabs we heard a distant rumble coming closer.  It was funny looking at the shocked faces of Wayne pulling up and not bashful to rev up the Corvette engine.  Got in and of we went.

My neck muscles ached for a week from Wayne flooring it with no advanced warning.  Great time…

Edited by Peter J.Heizmann (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, rocketraider said:

Ain't it amazing what a keyword like "re-tire-ment" will bring to the Forums?

Burgess, I like that Deuce but makes me hurt just thinking about trying to get in or out of it.

Thanks, Glenn for the reminder to sue Wayne for chiropractor bills.  As soon as my lawyer gets out of jail he’ll hear from me 😃

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Peter J.Heizmann said:

Thanks, Glenn for the reminder to sue Wayne for chiropractor bills.  As soon as my lawyer gets out of jail he’ll hear from me 😃

You guys!!!  Now Pedro, I know you saw the sticker on the passenger window that says, "Enter at your own Risk"?

Anyway, I had forgotten about that day. I remember Richmond but have no idea where we went to after I picked you up. You're lucky I remember your nickname Elaine!!

Wayne

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/22/2023 at 11:18 AM, R W Burgess said:

Waynes 32.jpg

that’s a beautiful car