My new to me $50 compressor

Look what followed me home.

Have no need for it, I already have 4 in various locations but I couldn't resist the art deco styling, the oil bath air cleaner and chrome Ingersol Rand trim. It's an older T-30 with disc valves and a Westinghouse repulsion start induction run motor. I have new belts on the way. When (if) i get it mechanically operational I'll hydro test the tank to 300 PSI and do a lite cosmetic do over.

Then I'm not sure what I'll do with it.........Bob

20210813_102631.jpg

• Like 6

Actually pretty simple.

I did an 80 gallon Champion tank last summer. Just takes a bit of Rube Goldberg plumbing. All the ports must be plugged except one for a pipe fitting and one tank end one with a valve. Stand the tank on end and fill with water until it comes out of the top, close the valve.

The pipe fitting port gets piped with a tee and a 300# gauge. Your pressure washer gets hooked into that tee also. I use a 24" long grease gun hose for flexibility between washer and tank.

Open top valve & start washer.. When water comes out of the top, turn off washer, close valve. Tank is now totally filled with water. Turn on washer and pressurize tank to 1.5 times it's rating. In my tanks case it's a 200 WP tank so 300# test is industry standard.

After pressurization let stand for 30 minutes of so looking for leaks.

Sounds like a lot of monkey motion but once the tank is filled the actual test takes 5 Minutes tops.

Hardest part is standing big tanks on end but I have a front end loader.

I suppose the tank could be tested sitting level but there would likely be a small amount of air in the tank. Probably not enough to matter.

I pulled the disc valves this afternoon. Other being cruddy they look in excellent condition. Cylinders look good, no scoring or rust. No sign of cross hatching so there might be some wear but I couldn't feel any top ridge so might be OK.. ...We'll see............Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Thanks Guys.

On cleaning the disc valves today I found one of the leaf springs in the high pressure cylinder valve broken. Two per valve are required. I'm guessing it's an unobtainium part. IR hasn't used disc valves like forever. It's .010 spring steel, available from McMaster. I've been ruminating all afternoon on how to fabricate it. Probably take me all day but I think I can fabricate one or two.

Pix is of a good spring so at least I have an example.

Winding a coil spring MAY be an option.

If not it's likely a boat anchor..........Bob

20210814_181658.jpg

This from Carol @ Ingersol-Rand:

"Oh honey – you will have to put this in your museum - - This compressor is from the EARLY 1930’s – according to the serial number.  There are no parts available for this model.   Sorry – to bare the bad news."

Just makes me want to get it running and restored even more. Make a fantastic piece for a retro garage..........Bob

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

It seems I've established a rapport with Carol of IR.

This from her this AM:

"Bob,

I will be back in the office on Wednesday – I have some old books – let me look at them and see if this model is listed in my old manuals.

What is your address?  If so - - I’ll send you a manual."

I'm stoked..........Bob

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Compressor is going to have to wait a few days.

While I'm waiting for spring wire from Mcmaster I thought I'd rebuild the 57's carb. Got the carb off and was walking past the compressor with it in my hand looking at IT not where I going, walked into the compressor discharge pipe ( knew I should remove it but was lazy), did a forward forehead plant onto the concrete floor. Lots of blood but it was from my hand not my head. About 10 stitches. How the Hell do you cut your hand on a carb?

Any way, off to the ER for stitches, X-rays and an MRI because of the goose egg on my forehead.

Good news is it's my left hand, no head injury, no broken bones and the carb looks undamaged.

I'll remove that  f**king pipe tomorrow.

Wife says I should name the compressor......Christine.........bob

20210816_170636.jpg

I generally try to be careful and stay safe yet a momentary lapse of awareness while walking across the shop finds me in the ER, wearing a gown with my bare ass hanging out, getting sewn up. AAARGH...........Bob

• Haha 3

On 8/13/2021 at 2:10 PM, Luv2Wrench said:

AWESOME!! 

If one has the space, one cannot have too many machines with that much style.  How are you doing to hydro test the tank?  What do you need for that?

Earlier I described hydo-testing the tank standing on end. It doesn't have to be that troublesome. I just tested this one in it's normal position. You just have to make sure it's level to preclude trapped air. Worked fine and a lot less trouble. Pix show the gauge after 20 minutes with no leaks and no KA-BLOOEY.  I'm calling it good to go.

I decided to forget making flat leaf springs for the disc valves and wound tapered .025 music wire springs. They work fine. I had to do the same thing for a Champion compressor I rebuilt.

So it looks like it's just cleaning and assembly now. I'm going to use paint stripper and the pressure washer to get rid of the ugly slopped on barn paint.

Any suggestions for color? Automotive paint is way too expensive for this dinosaur so it'll likely be rustoleum. I'm thinking machinery gray with a black motor............Bob

20210821_144023.jpg

20210821_144434.jpg

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Laughing Coyote said:

Maybe Carol at IR has the original colors. 

Seems she doesn,t love me after all. Never got back to me.

Looks like it was IR blue. They won,t sell the paint. Same with champion. It,s propriatary I think. I guess I could have it custom matched but rustoleum  is only about 10 a quart.......bob

Rustoleum Dark Machine Gray would look appropriate, maybe with a black motor and compressor housing.

https://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/consumer-brands/professional/high-performance-enamel-spray?ls=7587838&lc=Dark Machine Gray

7587838_0113_PRO_15oz_HighPerformanceEnamel_Gloss_DarkMachineGray.ashx

But all red just looks "right".

Hope you heal up quickly. Nasty looking cuts...

32 minutes ago, 95Cardinal said:

Hope you heal up quickly. Nasty looking cuts...

Thank you. I'm on the mend. Still tender but i can work with a vinyl glove. Fingers above cuts are numb. Hoping feeling comes back.......Bob

Carol, my new girl friend from IR got back to me. Looked twice for manuals. No joy on that. I asked if she could score a quart of IR blue paint for me. No answer yet.

If not I found a quart of Carnation Red Centari left over from my 56 Chrysler project. Carnation Red and Black it shall be.

In the mean time stripping the tank is a mean miserable job. New paint strippers SUCK.........Bob

20210827_133241.jpg

• Like 3

Beat you to it.                 

80 grit on my DA down to bare steel. Not too worried about a mirror finish. Only an old compressor. Plan to prime tomorrow. Pump was impossible to strip with what i had on hand other than by sand blast. Sealed up every orifice and blasted. Looks good, hopefully no grit inside. i,ll prime tomorrow.               

Thanks for the thought it was the correct one.. ....bob

On 8/29/2021 at 7:56 PM, KURTRUK said:

How about hammertone paint?  Industrial green, gray, or copper?

It seems it,s unobtainium in blue or green. At least locally or even on amazon. I,m going with the carnation red centari. Likely tomorrow afternoon.....bob

• 2 weeks later...

Oh, the agony of de feet.

I was so enamored with the art deco styling of my compressor and with my disc valve repair skills I did an upside down restoration. That is, I did the cosmetic before the mechanical.

Rookie error.

I fired it up today and came to the following conclusions:

The Bad news....

The motor @ 2 HP, which I knew was not original, is not strong enough. From a standing start It will not get up to speed (1750 rpm)with more than 50 PSI in the tank. Once running it will pump to 150+ PSI. I think at least 3+ is required.

I think I have a serious blow by problem. Likely needs new rings.

The Good news....

It's gorgeous in it's 56 Chrysler Carnation red and gloss black livery.

So far I've only got $125 in it. About what a nice meal for two, with drinks and tip, would set me back.

Push comes to shove I have a spare, hydro tested,  80 gal tank for my aging shop IR T-30 model 253. A new one would be about $1300.

I've had a lot of fun working on it and I've not given up yet.

The plan...

It's been moved out of the shop to make space.

This is coming on my busy season. Pastures to be mowed, fences repaired, 5 or 6 cords of fire wood to be cut, split and laid up, etc. etc.

Once the snow flies I'll bring it back into the warm shop, pull the heads and jugs and see what I can do. In the mean while I'll be looking for a period correct motor at a reasonable cost. If it all works out, great. If not, c'est la vie, it's been fun.............Bob

20210915_151749-1.jpg

20210915_152016.jpg

20210915_160228.jpg

• Like 5

On 9/17/2021 at 4:01 PM, Bhigdog said:

That's pretty neat. Any more info? Age, original use, etc etc............Bob

The little compressor is from the mid to late 1930s and used in a small filling station in the Poche / Panaca area in eastern Nevada.

The overall height is just over 2 feet,  the twin cyl compressor is 6 inches high.