My new to me $50 compressor

Ah, How sweet it is.

I have prevailed.

After 5 months of on again off again hassles and set backs my early 30's IR T-30 type compressor  is finished. What started as a $50 lark purchase turned into a 5 month odyssey of both disappointment and pleasure. After giving up on finding a period correct motor I stumbled on a modern 5 HP single phase, with magnetic starter for $150. Not exactly what I wanted but an absolute steal. The bad news is once I got the compressor fired up it was obvious it was way tired and the rings were worn out. Now what? IR has NO parts. The good news is the cylinders showed only .001 wear, the bearings were tight with no play, and I found a guy in York, PA that deals in obsolete parts for obsolete engines and he had the exact rings I needed.

So here it is.....

Runs quiet and smooth and pumps right up to 175 (although I set the pressure switch to 150 to give the old boy a rest).

I put my smaller Quincy compressor on FB market place and that should more than pay for what I have in the IR.

It's been a hoot and a real learning experience. I learned about old repulsion start/induction run motors, rebuilding compressors, and a hand full of little known and useless bits.

It is gorgeous.............Bob

20211204_135218.jpg

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1