Pebble Beach - Monterey Car Week 2021

alsancle

Billy, I have seen a couple early green wall tires. It was quite a few years ago in a private collectors shop. He had several different colored tires hanging on his walls. Their condition was remarkably well preserved considering even then they were nearly a hundred years old! I am trying to recall, I think the green wall tire had gray tread on it. He also had a couple red wall and gray wall tires with different tread colors. I know one of the tires had red tread, and I think gray walls? Advertising showing the colors is fairly rare, due to most periodicals were entirely black and white. I have seen a few era ads showing the colored tires, but they weren't mine, and that also was a long time ago. If I recall correctly, Some issues of National Geographic had only a few color ads sometimes on the back cover. I 'think' a couple of the ads I saw were from there. I know a couple of the ads I saw were from something else.

I have always wanted to have a couple such tires to display on my garage wall, but never had a good opportunity to get one. I did see a couple of green wall tires at a swap meet about eight years ago. They were mounted on original wheels still on an original rear axle, and the axle was expensive. I did ask about separating them, but the seller wasn't interested in that.

I do have a few model T size as well as a couple larger car size tires dating from the 1920s and 1930s. Some of them are mounted on bad rims to help the tire hold shape. A couple of them I filled with Styrofoam insulation to also help hold shape and preserve the tire. A few of those are in a dark cool storage area, one is hanging on a wall in my garage. It is just another area of automotive history that should be preserved at least some.

• Like 1

I thought the wife was going to do a back flip when I finally loaded up that heavy old slate and iron monster and took it down to Hershey a few years ago. I was told it was one of the only arc rectifiers with original glass left; that delicate, thin mercury glass globe was wrapped up in old blankets and kept in a foot locker for safety. I thought it had an interesting story behind it but from what I understand that's not nearly as fascinating as the story of what happened to it after I sold it!

arc.jpeg

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, md murray said:

I thought it had an interesting story behind it but from what I understand that's not nearly as fascinating as the story of what happened to it after I sold it!

So, for our interest, can you tell us the story?

What happened to it after you sold it?

I see someone has taken it to the show.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, mike6024 said:

That Mercedes is at Keller Winery? That's in my back yard, drove by it many times, never knew there was a car collection there.

Its just the number one car collection in the world......nothing to see, move on. 🥸

Almost impossible to gain access. A once in a lifetime event for 99 percent of the car world. If you get a chance, jump at it. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

So, for our interest, can you tell us the story?

What happened to it after you sold it?

I see someone has taken it to the show.

It was purchased from me as a thoughtful gift for someone who had the car to go with it. Various circumstances led to it quickly ending up in the hands up of a very well-known antique auto dealer who was convinced by another very well-known antique auto dealer that it would be foolhardy not to see it returned back to the big fish who bought it from me.

12:10 AM touchdown in Boston.  I hear Ed is still sitting on the tarmac in at Atlanta.  And he took off two hours earlier then us in San Jose.

I saw lots of forum members. I would list all of you but I’m worried I would miss some.   Some new faces that I can now attach to forum handles.

• Like 2

On 8/16/2021 at 12:37 AM, Ozstatman said:

Is that a paint chip on the Alfa? 

Alfa.jpg

I certainly hope so......he drives it extensively. That’s why it has wheels. The paint was off the bottom of the fenders..........that’s what driving does.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, edinmass said:

I certainly hope so......he drives it extensively. That’s why it has wheels. The paint was off the bottom of the fenders..........that’s what driving does.

Looks like he's closely following your maxim of "Drive it like you stole it!"

Alfa.jpg

• Like 1

Wayne, I smile every time I drive a big six.  The backstory is my great grandfather was a farmer and dairyman with roots going back to 1868 in California. By 1888 he was leasing thousands of acres in southern Monterey county from Rancho Zabala , a Spanish land grant that is still owned and farmed by the Zabala family.  Our family farmed that ground for twenty years until my great grandfather bought the ranch next door in 1905. It took a while to have enough money to buy a car as work horses, oil engines and tractors were needed. So finally in 1916 my great grandfather bought a 1916 big six Buick and I always wondered why he kept buying Buick’s, I know they were great cars and all, well a local girl named Marcela Zabala married Charles Howard of Howard Motor Car .  Marcela made a bet with her husband the a little race horse that Howard wanted to buy could not win a race, many already know that I am talking about Seabiscuit. 
  I think I have gotten off topic here so If you have a chance PM me as I am curious which of the 20 or so running big sixes you have driven

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hope my friends who attended the annual ruckus by the sea had a great time and are recuperating from the walking about and the uniform of tan slacks, proper straw hat and blue jacket. Thanks to all for sharing the wonderful photographs of perfectly restored lint, pollen  and dust free motor cars.  The aroma of fresh wax and polish must still linger as a fond reminder of the past week of Pebble by the Pacific.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Walt G said:

Hope my friends who attended the annual ruckus by the sea had a great time and are recuperating from the walking about and the uniform of tan slacks, proper straw hat and blue jacket. Thanks to all for sharing the wonderful photographs of perfectly restored lint, pollen  and dust free motor cars.  The aroma of fresh wax and polish must still linger as a fond reminder of the past week of Pebble by the Pacific.

Touche, Walt!  I'm guilty as charged.  That's me in the uniform of the day with my good friend Tony W. of San Jose and his 1924 Pierce-Arrow Series 33 4-p touring which took a 3rd in class.  That's a 40-yr-old restoration that he spent 9 months cleaning up.  Note that he's grinning like a throttled earwig, or perhaps even a Cheshire cat, and even a mortician could not remove that grin which lasts about three weeks!

Tony 1924 PA 33 4p trg.jpg

• Like 12

Wonderful to see a car like that with a 40 year old restoration still taking home some recognition of such a fine restoration and preservation! This proves beyond a doubt that a restoration using original materials ( lacquer, leather, etc) can endure if cared for and stored properly . I know of a similar custom bodied car that was restored about 50 years ago, was driven thousands of miles by the fellow who restored it yet within the past few years has earned a CCCA and AACA first place tag and is driven on tours!  Great photo of you two and an amazing car.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

In response to Walt, I get exactly where he is coming from. Pomp and Circumstance is something I can easily do without. The cost is insane. But.....it’s the only place on the planet where so much good stuff can be seen in such a small area. I’ll go out on a limb and say our class was the most significant assemblage of motor cars ever assembled. My top two cars in the world were there, and parked within fifty feet of our car. A friend from high school said to me.........Makes a Duesenberg look like a Ford Mustang. Pebble is the place where you bring a fantastic world class car, and find three better cars parked next to you that you didn’t even know existed. 

I was SHOCKED at how far civilization has declined driving around California.......absolutely shocked, and I go there regularly. When homeless people come into a place that’s 1700 a night and use the hallways as a toilet for shock effect, and the police, city, and local governments refuse to deal with it............all I can say is I am DONE with ever going there again unless it’s work related. I could go on for pages. Honestly.......it’s a cesspool, if your being polite. Shxx holx is the appropriate nomenclature.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 7

2 hours ago, edinmass said:

I was SHOCKED at how far civilization has declined driving around California.......absolutely shocked, and I go there regularly. When homeless people come into a place that’s 1700 a night and use the hallways as a toilet for shock effect, and the police, city, and local governments refuse to deal with it............all I can say is I am DONE with ever going there again unless it’s work related. I could go on for pages. Honestly.......it’s a cesspool, if your being polite. Shxx holx is the appropriate nomenclature.

Some of us have to go through this everyday, the cheap motels around here are $500 a night and the same story.  Its a shame what has happened to this state.

12 minutes ago, $um Fun said:

Some of us have to go through this everyday, the cheap motels around here are $500 a night and the same story.  Its a shame what has happened to this state.

Don’t want to dwell or hammer on it too much........but why would anyone want to live in a place and see such things on a daily basis. Somewhere it was written that people get the government (and local crime rates) they deserve. How the general working public don’t demand fifty times better than what they are receiving in the schools and in the streets are beyond me. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Since the costs to attend Pebble Beach has been broached, for the edification of the masses, would you please give us a range of what the overall costs to do so are?   Just some broad ballpark figures are enough.  I am assuming I should be setting down when reading those numbers.  Thanks

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Grimy said:

That's me in the uniform of the day with my good friend Tony W. of San Jose

Hey there Ed M!

It figures that you should know Tony! You and he have a lot in common, both working on other people's incredible cars! And both to an extremely high degree of quality!

You may know some of the stories, but if I ever get to see you in person, and chat for several hours, I might be able to give you some interesting background on some things he 'resurrected' from beyond the grave! Not many people with his level of skill and talent (or charm!).

As for the 'state' we are in? I have often said I call it "Califunny" for a lot of reasons!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, edinmass said:

When homeless people come into a place that’s 1700 a night and use the hallways as a toilet for shock effect,

Gee, Ed, we mere mortals routinely stay at a late-1940s motel next to the water in Pacific Grove (one of two places on the peninsula that doesn't double or triple their rates during Car Week) for $200/night, and we've never had any incursions nor have we even seen any homeless people in P.G. despite enjoying our time enjoying the many wonderful cafes and restaurants.  How do you manage to attract them?

Now back to our regularly scheduled program! 
Was the BOS a surprise winner or was it expected. Watching live stream the MC’s and guest they had on expectation was not the prewar. What did you all expect to win? 
dave s

I picked it for BOS on Thursday. There were a bunch of crazy fantastic cars in the running. Something just felt “right” about it winning. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 58L-Y8 said:

Since the costs to attend Pebble Beach has been broached, for the edification of the masses, would you please give us a range of what the overall costs to do so are?   Just some broad ballpark figures are enough.  I am assuming I should be setting down when reading those numbers.  Thanks

Pebble with help can be attended for what one could argue as “reasonable” cost. But it isn’t easy. The secret, get up early...........and drive in from 60 miles away. I spend a week there, busy trying to win classes and trophies........so having instant easy access to parking lots, venues, trucks, ect are all very necessary to what we are trying to accomplish. Thus we need to be at a major hotel in town. I actually prefer downtown Monterey, over the Lodge at Pebble. Some think I’m nuts........and I’m sure they are correct. Maybe in January we could start a thread on how to attend, for reasonable cost and share it with members. It can be done.....you just need a few pointers and an understanding of what is going on.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, TAKerry said:

A few days ago when AJ posted pics of the red convertible Mercedes, the Black coupe was in the pic. I thought to myself about how beautiful that car was. 

It’s interesting, the difference between a good car, a great car, and a Pebble BOS car?  

Simple. Stand in front of it. The BOS car has PRESENCE. It’s hard to qualify, but standing there it becomes easily apparent which car should carry the day. I’m talking about cars that make a 1930 V-16 Cadillac Roadster appear to be just a common car in the scheme of things. There is no substitution for being there.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, edinmass said:

It’s interesting, the difference between a good car, a great car, and a Pebble BOS car?  

Simple. Stand in front of it. The BOS car has PRESENCE. It’s hard to qualify, but standing there it becomes easily apparent which car should carry the day. I’m talking about cars that make a 1930 V-16 Cadillac Roadster appear to be just a common car in the scheme of things. 

And you should be able to hold your wristwatch three feet away from the car and clearly see the time in the reflection of the paint!

Craig

Pebble tickets this year I believe were $500 in the month of August, and $400 before hand. It’s not cheap. But if you calculate what it costs to put a car on the field, and the fixed cost of the show, and take a look at the location………… it’s a justifiable number. 

• Like 4

Remember Keeneland has a foundation that gives back to the community and maybe draws 10-15 world class cars. It’s a great PR function for a horse race track. I don’t think there is really a comparison based on great cars/admission fees. If that was the comparison then I would say Keeneland is over charging. Just my opinion of course. 
dave s 

I believe the Pebble Beach Concours said that this year $1.75 million will go to charity.  I still have my 1974 program which says that I paid all of 5 American dollars to enter and get said program.  I've "heard" that ticket sales are in the 20,000 range (attendees) and perhaps were to have been reduced this year due to COVID.  I got my tickets for $350 each as the add-on option from friends who were exhibiting--that was their price for extra tickets, well in advance of course.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, edinmass said:

"... Maybe in January we could start a thread on how to attend, for reasonable cost and share it with members. It can be done.....you just need a few pointers and an understanding of what is going on."

Ed:

That idea is worth pursuing when things slow down in January.  The pointers, perspectives and advice of all who are regular participants would be appreciated by those of us still harboring the objective of attendance at some point.

Steve

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Reicholzheimer said:

Amelia Island is $125 before show and $150 day of show.  Saturday is free for Hagerty's Cars and Coffee. Great weekend but felt the show wasn't as good as in the past.  Hagerty taking control I believe will be an improvement.

I wouldn’t bet on that.............and having attended for years, how was this year in any way a disappointment? 

• Like 1