Pebble Beach - Monterey Car Week 2021

alsancle

21 minutes ago, alsancle said:

RM sold the Andrew’s collection last night and I forgot to take any pictures. Sorry.  All marked sold but one lot.   Other than the 32 Twin Six which hammered at 950 - A steal - I thought the prices were ok.    However, most were around low estimate.

Saw some forum members not named Ed yesterday and that was nice.  Especially the Packard guy who married well.

To see the Twin Six just google “Al Jolsen Packard Dietrich”.

I thought all the prices ranges were very high to begin with......so a “low range” sale was in my humble opinion “high”. That said, the Jolson Packard brought all the money..........for a bunch of reasons that we talked about at dinner. It’s a great car..........but I think it sold exactly at the right number, and very close to what I had predicted. 

As far as the Packard guy marring well........yes, I agree. But you married twenty times higher than your league, so both of you are lucky. Dinner last night with the gang was fun. Thanks to all who attended, and the great guy who paid the bill...........he could have bought a car for what the tab came too. 

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, alsancle said:

RM sold the Andrew’s collection last night and I forgot to take any pictures. Sorry.  All marked sold but one lot.   Other than the 32 Twin Six which hammered at 950 - A steal - I thought the prices were ok.    However, most were around low estimate.

Saw some forum members not named Ed yesterday and that was nice.  Especially the Packard guy who married well.

To see the Twin Six just google “Al Jolsen Packard Dietrich”.

The Jolsen Packard sold for more before the current restoration.  1.1 Mil.  

Individual custom Dietrich convertible sedans don’t get the respect they deserve, in my opinion.    

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Cadillac Fan said:

The Jolsen Packard sold for more before the current restoration.  1.1 Mil.  

SO does that mean the investors er collectors  have taken a hit !?!!  $$$ wise !!! 😬🙄

7 minutes ago, Walt G said:

SO does that mean the investors er collectors  have taken a hit !?!!  $$$ wise !!! 😬🙄

Yes.  Somewhere along the line.  

https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/sj11/st--john-s/lots/r170-1932-packard-twin-six-individual-custom-convertible-sedan-by-dietrich-inc/190045

But they got to experience pebble beach 1st in class and return a great car back to its original livery.   A true “collector” not investor.  

The owner (estate) selling it purchased it post current restoration.  

31 minutes ago, alsancle said:

C0749DCF-4D11-4ACF-9733-11AD99DE011E.jpeg

CAF630BC-1A4A-4544-8242-8FBC5DA1D260.jpeg

17ABC115-98FD-4AFA-80D2-4C44A1E569D1.jpeg

76F72F2D-284D-451C-94AA-8EA4F45EF259.jpeg

If the 59 eldorado has the black/ white trim tag, it should go for way over estimate.  Only more desirable would be black / red or black/ black. 

1 hour ago, alsancle said:

There is a key word in the description that explains the estimate.

E7E4699F-D0D1-4C7E-98C8-735A822EB1D5.jpeg

989E3C2F-A80B-4BCF-81B9-0584029C2D04.jpeg

269FD2A7-E3BC-4DD3-816F-78D630DF9070.jpeg

24A32B4B-8E67-4FD7-93BC-DC8AF5713BC8.jpeg

You can get the documentation to see if it started as a sedan.  Paint looks tired and it is the cars second auction in the last year.  

Edited by Cadillac Fan (see edit history)

5 minutes ago, Cadillac Fan said:

If the 59 eldorado has the black/ white trim tag, it should go for way over estimate.  Only more desirable would be black / red or black/ black. 

You can get the documentation to see if it started as a sedan.  Paint looks tired and it is the cars second auction in the last year.  

since the estimate is about 1/3 of my expectations…

• Like 1

Did you buy the Pontiac AJ?

I would love to work along side the restoration of one of these Pebble Beach cars. My hobby other than cars is building fine furniture. I have worked with and seen some of the modern masters up close and personal. Their level of craftsmanship and attention to detail is way beyond almost anyone elses standards. I imagine the guys restoring these cars in the same area of expertise.

Ah, so your chicken! LOL.

I went to an auction that was down the street from me a few years ago, just because. Figured nothing there worth bidding on so I didnt even bother to register. They sold a 1932sh Ford panel truck, fully restored for less than 10k, and another similar Chevy panel truck, fully restored, fenders painted, cowell, hood and body in primer ready for paint. That one went for 8k! I kicked myself after that one.

• Like 1