Basic trouble-shooting

Terry Bond

Couldn't resist posting this-was recently doing some electrical trouble-shooting on the MGB and went to the inter-net for some tips when I encountered this.  Supposed to be the ultimate solution for a car that keeps blowing fuses.  I think it's a SURE-FIRE solution!

Terry

Fuses.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 12

1 hour ago, Terry Bond said:

Couldn't resist posting this-was recently doing some electrical trouble-shooting on the MGB and went to the inter-net for some tips when I encountered this.  Supposed to be the ultimate solution for a car that keeps blowing fuses. 

1 hour ago, 1957Birdman said:

The ultimate solution to Lucas, "Prince of Darkness" electricals.

Lew Bachman

1957 Thunderbird

Years ago I bought a 1973 Honda CB 450 from a friend for $300. Cool looking bike in decent shape, but he warned me that it didn't run because of electrical problems. I took it home and sure enough, it didn't run, so I got out a screw driver and started investigating.

But the screw driver slipped in my hand and went someplace it shouldn't and ZAP!! Huge spark. Now it really wasn't going to run. Ever. But just out of curiosity I turned the ignition switch...and the engine started! I JUST "fixed" my electrical problem!

The moral of the story? Contrary to popular belief, electricity isn't a physical phenomenon, but a magical force that either loves us or hates us. That day was one of the rare instances where it loved me. 😄

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

With Lucas systems, there is always a possibility some of the Lucas smoke has leaked out and needs replacement.  That's currently available thank goodness.

Lucas smoke.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, Terry Bond said:

With Lucas systems, there is always a possibility some of the Lucas smoke has leaked out and needs replacement.  That's currently available thank goodness.

Lucas smoke.jpg

Terry this part is currently on backorder at Moss, do you have a spare jar I can borrow to get my MGB through the week? 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

You can get a Chinese made replacement from J.C Whitney but it may not fit.

Terry

2 hours ago, JimKB1MCV said:

Exceeded only by the .22 cal. fuse replacement, which must be true because it was on the internet, right?

Well,🙄 there is this:https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/the-bullet-fuse/

Still...

The "Audible Alarm" fuse! 😀 It might take out the whole fuse box (and you) when it goes off, but you won't be wondering why the car stopped running.

Edited by AL1630 (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

I bought a 62 Chevy Biscayne back in ‘74 and the wiper fuse was a bullet. I assume .22 as .25 was less common.  Yes, I replaced it with a proper size fuse. 😉

Back in my aircraft inspection days, we had a couple of "drive shafts" in the little starter/generators of the SAAB 340 that had crack-like indications when magnetic particle inspected. A Lucus rep arranged to come see if we knew what we were doing on a certain date, so I wore in my tee shirt that had a picture and logos of the "3 Position Lucas Switch".... dim, flicker, and off. He loved it and said he thought he had everything, but had not seen that, ha !  Great guy, and yes, they were starting to fracture, which never happened again after the new replacement parts or possibly a change in heat treat ( we weren't told what the fix was ) as far as I know.

That's one way to find the source of the short. Stick the bolt in. Have a fire extinguisher available. Wiggle wires. See where the smoke comes out. Repeat for more than on blown fuse. Dandy Dave! 

On 6/13/2021 at 3:43 PM, JamesR said:

Years ago I bought a 1973 Honda CB 450 from a friend for $300. Cool looking bike in decent shape, but he warned me that it didn't run because of electrical problems. I took it home and sure enough, it didn't run, so I got out a screw driver and started investigating.

But the screw driver slipped in my hand and went someplace it shouldn't and ZAP!! Huge spark. Now it really wasn't going to run. Ever. But just out of curiosity I turned the ignition switch...and the engine started! I JUST "fixed" my electrical problem!

The moral of the story? Contrary to popular belief, electricity isn't a physical phenomenon, but a magical force that either loves us or hates us. That day was one of the rare instances where it loved me. 😄

Sounds like you arc welded the bad connection together. I've seen this before. Like everything else, It works until it doesn't. Dandy Dave!

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Dandy Dave said:

Sounds like you arc welded the bad connection together. I've seen this before. Like everything else, It works until it doesn't. Dandy Dave!

Thanks Dave. I was wondering what actually happened. The bike ran consistently after that, more or less, but it could stop running on occasion, too. I'd just restart it and away I'd go.

• Haha 1

On 6/13/2021 at 7:49 PM, pfloro said:

The first thought which came to mind: "Put a penny in the fuse box, put a bolt in the fuse block".  What would Thomas Edison, George Westinghouse, and Nicola Tesla have to say...?

They'd still be arguing DC, AC or wireless...

• Like 1

I just don't understand all you so-called auto guys. You just don't understand anything about auto electrics. Let me explain with this logical theory.

ELECTRICAL THEORY BY JOSEPH LUCAS

Positive ground depends on proper circuit functioning, which is the transmission of negative ions by retention of the visible spectral

manifestation known as "smoke". Smoke is the thing that makes electrical circuits work. We know this to be true because every time one lets the smoke out of an electrical circuit, it stops working. This can be verified repeatedly through

empirical testing. For example, if one places a copper bar across the terminals of a battery, prodigious quantities of smoke are liberated and the battery shortly ceases to function. In addition, if one observes smoke escaping from an electrical component such as a Lucas voltage regulator, it will also be observed that the component no longer functions. The logic is elementary and inescapable!

The function of the wiring harness is to conduct the smoke from one device to another. When the wiring springs a leak and lets all the

smoke out of the system, nothing works afterward. Starter motors were considered unsuitable for British motorcycles for

some time largely because they consumed large quantities of smoke, requiring very unsightly large wires.

It has been reported that Lucas electrical components are possibly more prone to electrical leakage than their Bosch, Japanese or

American counterparts. Experts point out that this is because Lucas is British, and all things British leak. British engines leak oil,

British shock absorbers, hydraulic forks and disk brake systems leak fluid, British tires leak air and British Intelligence leaks national

defense secrets. Therefore, it follows that British electrical systems must leak

smoke. Once again, the logic is clear and inescapable. In conclusion, the basic concept of transmission of electrical energy

in the form of smoke provides a logical explanation of the mysteries of electrical components especially British units manufactured by

Joseph Lucas, Ltd.

Joseph Lucas: The Prince of Darkness"

1842-1903

A few Lucas quips:

The Lucas motto: "Get home before dark"

Lucas is the patent holder for the short circuit.

Lucas - Inventor of the first intermittent wiper.

Lucas - Inventor of the self-dimming headlamp.

The three-position Lucas switch--DIM, FLICKER and OFF. The other

three switch settings--SMOKE, SMOLDER and IGNITE.

The Original Anti-Theft Device - Lucas Electrics.

If Lucas made guns, wars would not start

The reason the Britt’s drink warm beer is they all have Lucas refrigerators.

Now that we have the electrical system straightened out, lets move on to the Turbo Entabulator.

• Haha 3

I had a number of British motorcycles and cars and I believe 90% of the problems people had with the electrics were due to putting the battery in backwards. I am not kidding, the Brits kept to the positive ground system long after America went to negative ground and I am sure a lot of dummies did not know that. When they hooked up the battery backwards of course a lot of things did not work so they started cutting and splicing random wires. I don't think I have ever seen a British car or motorcycle that the wiring was not bitched up.

Lucas electrics may not be up to Bosch or Delco standards but they are far from the hopeless mess some think. I never had much trouble with them once I got them sorted out.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Rusty_OToole said:

I had a number of British motorcycles and cars and I believe 90% of the problems people had with the electrics were due to putting the battery in backwards. I am not kidding, the Brits kept to the positive ground system long after America went to negative ground and I am sure a lot of dummies did not know that. When they hooked up the battery backwards of course a lot of things did not work so they started cutting and splicing random wires. I don't think I have ever seen a British car or motorcycle that the wiring was not bitched up.

Lucas electrics may not be up to Bosch or Delco standards but they are far from the hopeless mess some think. I never had much trouble with them once I got them sorted out.

I had a 1990 Jaguar Vanden Pla. The electrical system was "LucasBosch". Whether Lucas was good or bad, or Bosch was good or bad they merged and used both names on their products. BUT!!!!! That doesn't mean that Lucas isn't still fun to pick on.

Lucas Pacemaker.jpg

Edited by hook (see edit history)
  • Haha 3