How has your top 10 changed?

ericmac

6 hours ago, Pilgrim65 said:

Reading the wish lists , I note with some satisfaction the inclusion of a few British cars , Mga , Mgb etc and if the choice had been limited to such they would have been in my top ten , but for me a 60 Mga or 60 corvette !!

😁

It's always been a toss up between Morgan's and MGA's with me.  When new they were quite close in price, but for most of my life as a British car fan Morgan's were at least twice as expensive { similar year cars , late 1950's - early 1960's } so I have always owned MGA's . I worked as a mechanic at a British Car shop in the late 1970's and worked on several Morgan's so I know them reasonably well. But I fit better in a MGA so that plus the substantial price difference has always prevented me from becoming a Morgan owner. Over the last decade the price difference has largely evened out but now both are expensive enough that I would not buy either. I still own two MGA's { both for a few decades } so it's not like I have to do without. 1 driver , the second one is decent enough but has been in pieces for many years.

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

Have looked at this and it would be difficult to answer - only 10 total ? I could name 10 pre WWII era cars! and 10 post WWII era cars . geez. That is like having to name the 10 best things you like about the AACA Fall meet at Hershey that you have experienced over the years you have attended. Or the 10 best and coolest people you have ever known.....................

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Walt G said:

Have looked at this and it would be difficult to answer - only 10 total ? I could name 10 pre WWII era cars! and 10 post WWII era cars . geez. That is like having to name the 10 best things you like about the AACA Fall meet at Hershey that you have experienced over the years you have attended. Or the 10 best and coolest people you have ever known.....................

Walt notice how I cheated at the beginning giving a broad brush stroke to the prewar era!? 😁😉  I think we can be forgiven for going over the mark.  I tried to limit mine to cars I may eventually acquire, with a nod to some other favorites first.

My biggest challenge is, after reallizing our limitations (while money is less of an issue these days, at least you get something in return for getting, well experienced..) for most of the cars on my list, time and space rear their ugly heads.  I now know two at a time is it for me, and really don't want tomove either of the two we have now bad enough for another, unless it was a ridicules move up market.  Our next move will likely come when the boy, now starting to look at real estate makes good on his promise to wrestle the SL away. 

I think we will finish some restoration work on the A in the meantime, but window shopping is a hobby in itself. 😊

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)

1. Classic Volkswagen Beetle any year. I currently own a 1973 model but the body has been swapped to a 1971. Don’t know why I have always had a fascination with them.
2. 1967 Ford Mustang. I just think they are cool and 1967 is the best year in my opinion.

3. 1957 Chevy Bell Air. Another cool old classic that I would love to own. 
4. 1973 Chevy C10. I think they are cool trucks. My neighbor owned one and it just looks so classic. Also I like three on the tree so that’s an advantage. 
5. 1973 Ford Gran Torino. We restored one in high school auto class and man that thing was cool and loud. 
6. 1972 Buick Skylark. Another cool car the local gas station has one sitting and it just looks cool to own. Personally I’ve never driven one or looked at one but it’s cool. 

That’s all I can think of at the current moment but I’d be happy owning anything classic really. The Beetle is my favorite out of all the ones listed. I can’t own anymore vehicles due to my county’s ordinance since I own 8 vehicles if I own anymore it’s considered a car lot so that kinda hurts but oh well it keeps me working on my projects. The Beetle hopefully will be running this summer. Then I have a old Mazda truck I’m restoring and another Mazda truck that runs. Then I’ve got some modern vehicles. 

1 hour ago, 1912Staver said:

It's always been a toss up between Morgan's and MGA's with me.  When new they were quite close in price, but for most of my life as a British car fan Morgan's were at least twice as expensive { similar year cars , late 1950's - early 1960's } so I have always owned MGA's . I worked as a mechanic at a British Car shop in the late 1970's and worked on several Morgan's so I know them reasonably well. But I fit better in a MGA so that plus the substantial price difference has always prevented me from becoming a Morgan owner. Over the last decade the price difference has largely evened out but now both are expensive enough that I would not buy either. I still own two MGA's { both for a few decades } so it's not like I have to do without. 1 driver , the second one is decent enough but has been in pieces for many years.

Morgan’s have always been expensive over here too , mostly owned by more wealthy types , mere mortals like me  when I was in my 20s bought mgas as were affordable and have only risen steeply in last ten years ,

Most of us would liked to keep our mgas but marriage, house purchase and  family’s took priority sadly.

Morgan’s always high .

Working with a friend restoring a 1960. Mga 1600 now , will post when complete , we restored a LHD a couple of years back , my grandkids loved it 

B0B141A1-837E-47A2-841C-E57E4F7722AB.jpeg

• Like 4

That's a fine looking MGA.  Mine is a very scruffy driver, but I have owned it since about 1979 and driven it all over Western Canada and the U.S. Pacific Coast. It really needs a cosmetic tidy up to even be a reasonable driver .  The other car is in better condition but all apart . Both are 1960, 1600's. I guess I actually have 3 if you count a rather rough MK2 , border line parts car , but by U.K. standards quite restorable . 

Really great cars , the only weak point I have found over the years is the gearbox and front king pin threads. And rust, but that goes without saying on all British cars of this era.

• Like 1

Had the same thing happen when I built the back garage - county said if that big a garage became a "professional" garage and all of these other (exits, sprinklers, etc) requirements came into play. So it became a garage/workshop. That was OK.

Are several English cars I liked but never had: TR3B, Morgan +8,  SS-100, '53 Bentley R-type Fastback.

Friend of mine had an MGA twin cam with a Judson blower. I just had a plain '55 MGA RHD.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, padgett said:

Had the same thing happen when I built the back garage - county said if that big a garage became a "professional" garage and all of these other (exits, sprinklers, etc) requirements came into play. So it became a garage/workshop. That was OK.

Are several English cars I liked but never had: TR3B, Morgan +8,  SS-100, '53 Bentley R-type Fastback.

Friend of mine had an MGA twin cam with a Judson blower. I just had a plain '55 MGA RHD.

Like all your choices of some marvellous British cars , particularly the SS 100 😊

37EFDEED-4B06-4ED8-A812-F572B529E5F8.jpeg

Edited by Pilgrim65 (see edit history)

4 hours ago, Pilgrim65 said:

Morgan’s have always been expensive over here too , mostly owned by more wealthy types , mere mortals like me  when I was in my 20s bought mgas as were affordable and have only risen steeply in last ten years ,

Most of us would liked to keep our mgas but marriage, house purchase and  family’s took priority sadly.

Morgan’s always high .

Working with a friend restoring a 1960. Mga 1600 now , will post when complete , we restored a LHD a couple of years back , my grandkids loved it 

B0B141A1-837E-47A2-841C-E57E4F7722AB.jpeg

What's not to like in that whole picture. Beautiful car, thatched roof house with leaded diamond windows....... Just the job! The whole atmosphere is what counts.

It's not just the car, but the atmosphere.

Oldtimer In Front Of House High Resolution Stock Photography and Images -  Alamy

• Like 3

I can't believe I forgot to include a 1953 Ford pickup. Must be red, because that's what I painted my very first plastic model, which is what I'd be after in full scale. 

Saw one for sale in my own home town several years ago but didn't even stop to find out how much, because I know I can't afford it. 

You are all coming up with some great responses here. While I certainly understand the point made by Walt earlier, we all have limits on what we can buy or own. Even the great collectors of years past found themselves facing limits, be it time, space,  money, or simply another collector who owned a car that absolutely was not for sale at any price. 

Even though I started the thread and set the limit, I found myself wrestling with it and doing some self imposed negotiations before I posted the initiation of the thread. Like Ben I almost immediately realized that I forgot a car yet I felt like I couldn't take anything off my list. 

Again, I really appreciate all the great discussion so far.

• Like 3

Was a 57 suicide door caddy in a gas station when I was growing up but owner refused to sell, later saw the same car (crack in vent window) at Auburn. Was a time when all were cheap, just not this century.

My Top 10 list (in no particular order):

Currently in my stable:

Dodge 5.9 Cummins Diesel Pickup (it's a 2wd automatic quad cab with a short bed, but it just rolled over 50k miles, so I will have it for the rest of my life and my son's life too!)

Corvair Greenbrier 80/4 with factory camper kit (the vehicle I tell my kids to keep if anything were to happen to me, it has been that good to me!)

Corvair Rampside Pick up 80/4 (a rust free California find currently being resurrected for the road.)

2015 Holden Commodore (Chevy SS) Some Like it Red Hot with all three factory options (sunroof, full-sized spare, 6 speed manual transmission) - #22 or 24 made in this color with all options (my wife's daily driver)

FC Willys with factory 4 speed and dump bed (took me years to find one that wasn't rusted to oblivion...) 

On the hunt:

1962 - 1966 GMC Pick up (my dad brought one home from work when I was a young teen that was sold before I started driving!)

1963 or 1964 Buick Riviera

1956 or 1957 Continental

1958 Cadillac or mid to late 60's Eldorado (unsure or year, but with hidden headlights)

a Full Classic from the late 20's thru the early 40's that will be a drivable tour car (dark green is my favorite color!) 

• Like 1

Think the first postwar Caddy with hidden headlamps was the '67 Eldo (had one for about 6 months. Nice car. Had floorboards that read "No Parking" on the driver's side and "70 mph" on the passenger (Indiana). And then there was the 57 Brogham. Suicide rear doors, dual quads.

Continental MK II maybe ? I'd prefer a '69 Mk III with AC and sunroof. Think was the first production American car with radial tires (sure will be corrected if nyet).

Personally think the 65 Riviera is a lot better (technical and appearance) than the 63-64. Most like the show car. Would not turn down a GS with dual quads.

You do have some neat Corvairs. In Oz ?

DSC_0842.jpgDo I have to limit to 10? :)

Cars I want (in no particular order):

• Pre-1915 large touring car (Steven's Duryea for example)
    • Any large v12 or v16 CCCA eligible open car
    • Bugatti Veyron
    • Early Horseless Carriage (any 1896 Duryea's on the open market?)
    • Mercedes Benz Maybach (with lifetime warranty)
    • 1932 Ford Chopped Coupe ala American Graffiti
    • 1930's White Motor bus as used in Yellowstone National Park
    • 1964 Shelby Daytona Coupe (preferably raced at LeMans)
    • 1910's Baker Electric
    • Ed "Big Daddy" Roth's "Outlaw"
    • 1971 Ford Pinto in light green (seeing if anyone is paying attention)

Top 10 cars I've owned (in no particular order):

• 1946 Chrysler Town & Country Convertible
    • 1948 Ford Convertible
    • 1950 Chrysler Royal Woodie Station Wagon
    • 1960 Cadillac 60 Sedan (wanted a 1959)
    • 1974 Jensen Interceptor (with a 440)
    • 1959 Desoto Fireflight 2 Door HT
    • 1963 Chevrolet Corvair Convertible
    • 1952 Chevrolet Pick Up
    • 1948 Chrysler New Yorker (my first car)
    • 1971 Firebird Formula 400

21205_Front_3-4_Web.jpg If I had to pick one of any of the above as my last and only car ever....  

1950 Chrysler Royal Woodie Station Wagon

(Great family car, nice driver, easy to fix and find parts, always is a crowd please)

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Peter Gariepy said:

Peter....everyone pays attention to you. If I could have had one more, a 71 pinto would have been on my list, but only light green if it was original paint, otherwise I’d want medium green. 

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, John Bloom said:

Peter....everyone pays attention to you. If I could have had one more, a 71 pinto would have been on my list, but only light green if it was original paint, otherwise I’d want medium green. 

1971-ford-pinto-runabout👍

• Haha 1

Now that I think about it, I'd probably have to throw a '74 Triumph TR6 in the mix.

Very fun cars to drive and you feel infinitely safer in the TR6 than you do in a MGA.

I think that enhanced feeling of safety is probably just that , a feeling rather than fact. About the only safety advantage I can think of with a TR6 is the steering column . It will telescope somewhat more than a MGA column in a serious crash. Beyond that neither is going to be very good in a serious crash. 

Also TR 6 control arm / trailing arm pivots ; both front and rear, have nasty habit of breaking . As long as you are moving slowly it's not too hard to come to a semi controlled stop. However this does sometimes happen when the car is  traveling at normal speed . I had a rear let go on my TR 250 years ago at 50 MPH or so on a twisty road. I got it slowed down and off the road safely but I sure wouldn't want to try it a second time. And luckily no other traffic, I used up a lot of road .

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

The MGA also felt 800lbs lighter than the TR6 and felt like it would just collapse in a collision with anything larger than a squirrel.

The doors on the A felt like an afterthought while the doors on the TR6 felt like a proper door.

I know the cars are around 20 years apart in production and most European cars in the 50's seemed like nothing but large go karts.

I never felt unsafe in my '55 MGA. Handled North Carolina to South Florida run several times, just preferred my LHD XK150s with overdrive. Today I'd rather have an XJS.

Boy howdy those tires were skinny (thought that even back then).

jagmg.jpg

Interesting thread. As a kid, my list would have been thirty cars minimum. Today, five cars would be fine. Funny how desires and attitudes change over time. I’m fortunate to have been able to buy cars that I had no business trying to own. I landed my “dream car” a one off special. Ultimately the most interesting thing of my list......even though I haven’t published it........is working on, fixing, and driving my dream cars. 90 percent JUMP off the list as soon as you get ten miles on them. Today my list wouldn’t be a particular “exact car” but a car that fills a need for having fun. Example............a teens large horsepower car that is very unusual mechanically............the White filled that void in a totally unexpected fashion. So my list in general..........and if I have managed to get one at one time and keep it, or sell it to move on to other things..........

1- Teens big car, unique, fast, large.  Owned 1914 Cadillac Hi Output dual speed  & 1917 White 16 Valve.

2- CCCA 1930-1931 Big Custom Dual Cowl.   Owned and have a 1931 Pierce Series 42, my fathers car.

3- CCCA 1930’s Big Custom One Off Sedan. Owned a 1933 Pierce LeBaron one off & current 36 V-12 Club Sedan.

4- Brighton Era four cylinder Knox.  Any Knox is still on my list. I don’t think it will happen now. Close twice.

5- CCCA “Floater” a spot in the garage where I turn the car over every two or three years to peruse variety. I have to a small degree managed to do this.

More than five cars is too much work to keep all at peak driving experience........in my humble opinion.

Cars on my “want to own” list, or my “floating car” list: Having driven many cars, they are now no longer desired. Examples of stuff I desperately wanted at one time.....McFarlin, Cunningham, most  Packard 8’s & 12’s,Leyland Lincoln, KB Lincoln, ect,ect,ect.

I have owned a ton of 60’s and 70’s fun cars. A few of them were actually good and a slim few were rare and desirable. I have NO desire for them now, none. I still like them but they no longer offer me a special feeling going down the road.......probably because they offer zero mechanical challenge. 

Things people should drive before they die? Doble, Speed Six, Marmon 16, Duesenberg J, a big Hispano and Isotta, 30’s Alfa and Bugatti, 40 HP White Steam Car, Stanley, Crane Simplex, American Fiat, and the list goes on. I’m lucky to have driven and played with insanely cool stuff.......to me. Stearns Knight 8, pre 1900 American cars, most post war Mercedes, most of the neat post war Chevy’s, Fords, Chrysler’s, I look back and I’m the luckiest guy in the world. 

If I could only have one car as a collector car. Model J Duesenberg with interesting body and history, it’s never going to happen. That’s also OK, as I have driven my fair share of them.......and probably more than my fair share. I find working on interesting cars just as enjoyable as driving them. I think that has been the key to my success in the hobby. Fixing hard problems that others won’t or can’t is fantastically rewarding, and it pays the bills. What more can one ask for. If I die tonight, I die a happy man......my life has been very good.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
    • Like 2

57 Desoto 

54 Chevy 2 door

62 Tbird

60 Austin Healy 3000

60 Chevy Impala conv 

70-73 MGB GT 

The above were cars of my youth and a lot of great experiences happened in those cars. A guess it’s a way of getting my youth back. As Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band said workin on my Night Moves! 
    34-36 Pierce Arrow 

34-36 Auburn 

34-36 Packard

The above are desires out of my pay grade 

68 Charger

63-67 XKE 

The last for just having fun. 

Edited by SC38DLS (see edit history)
    • Like 2

E-type. May need to reconfigure the list..

I would repeat my TR-6 if the right one came along.  Great car for little money.  Sometime in the 80s I passed on oppy. to get one of those Eldo broughams, $5,500 because it meant moving TR and ponying up a little cash.  Financial blunder, the Eldo was a nice driver, even roof stainless was pretty good.  We all know where they went value wise.  Loved that TR.  But eventually a persistant guy across town wrestled it away..

I have owned TR6 and a TR250 , put a lot of miles on both of them but still have no strong bond with them.  Great for relaxed drives , but not very " sports car " like if pushed. It's that  trailing arm rear suspension that I pin the fault on. My TVR uses the same basic Triumph components but a proper hub carrier casting and upper and lower , unequal length control arms to make a true independent rear suspension that actually works.

The TR setup is softly sprung, squats a lot on acceleration , and produces quite a bit of rear wheel steering when either decelerating or accelerating in a corner.  

Datsun made a trailing arm set up work with the 510 and early Z cars as did BMW with the 2002 , but Triumph never got it to work very well in my opinion.

{ and the opinion of many road testers back in the day }

A number of track TR6's have been converted to TVR rear suspension to good effect. But it is a fairly involved modification for a street car.

18 hours ago, Peter Gariepy said:

• Pre-1915 large touring car (Steven's Duryea for example)
    • Any large v12 or v16 CCCA eligible open car
    • Bugatti Veyron
    • Early Horseless Carriage (any 1896 Duryea's on the open market?)
    • Mercedes Benz Maybach (with lifetime warranty)
    • 1932 Ford Chopped Coupe ala American Graffiti
    • 1930's White Motor bus as used in Yellowstone National Park
    • 1964 Shelby Daytona Coupe (preferably raced at LeMans)
    • 1910's Baker Electric
    • Ed "Big Daddy" Roth's "Outlaw"

Top 10 cars I've owned (in no particular order):

• 1946 Chrysler Town & Country Convertible
    • 1948 Ford Convertible
    • 1950 Chrysler Royal Woodie Station Wagon
    • 1960 Cadillac 60 Sedan (wanted a 1959)
    • 1974 Jensen Interceptor (with a 440)
    • 1959 Desoto Fireflight 2 Door HT
    • 1963 Chevrolet Corvair Convertible
    • 1952 Chevrolet Pick Up
    • 1948 Chrysler New Yorker (my first car)
    • 1971 Firebird Formula 400

21205_Front_3-4_Web.jpg If I had to pick one of any of the above as my last and only car ever....  

1950 Chrysler Royal Woodie Station Wagon

(Great family car, nice driver, easy to fix and find parts, always is a crowd please)

Yes.. you were noticed about the Pinto! I love the '50 Chrysler!

Great thread. I have been buying, fixing, selling and dreaming about cars for 56 years, 60 years if you count model cars. In all that time I have never had a fixed list of goal cars but rather a vast, constantly changing swirl of cars based on my life and experiences. I have been lucky to be able to own many desirable cars due to timing (muscle cars in the late 70s) and due to willingness to do some very hard repair work. At 72, doing that type of work is now greatly limited. My living situation limits me to two hobby cars at a time which have to physically fit in my garage with room for our daily driver so that kind of cramps the reality based wishlist. However it appears many are interpreting this as a dream list so here goes:

• 1932-34 Cadillac V-16
    • 1961-65 Lincoln 4 door convertible
    • 1970 Cadillac Eldorado
    • 1965 Pontiac GTO Tripower
    • 1965 Pontiac 2+2 421
    • 1957 Ford Thunderbird Minter restored
    • 1961-62 Ford Thunderbird
    • 1966 Mercury S55 428 
    • 1969 Hurst Olds
    • 1960 Buick bubbletop

If I wrote this tomorrow the list would most likely change.

• Like 1
    • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, edinmass said:

Interesting thread. As a kid, my list would have been thirty cars minimum. Today, five cars would be fine. Funny how desires and attitudes change over time. I’m fortunate to have been able to buy cars that I had no business trying to own. I landed my “dream car” a one off special. Ultimately the most interesting thing of my list......even though I haven’t published it........is working on, fixing, and driving my dream cars. 90 percent JUMP off the list as soon as you get ten miles on them. Today my list wouldn’t be a particular “exact car” but a car that fills a need for having fun. Example............a teens large horsepower car that is very unusual mechanically............the White filled that void in a totally unexpected fashion. So my list in general..........and if I have managed to get one at one time and keep it, or sell it to move on to other things..........

1- Teens big car, unique, fast, large.  Owned 1914 Cadillac Hi Output dual speed  & 1917 White 16 Valve.

2- CCCA 1930-1931 Big Custom Dual Cowl.   Owned and have a 1931 Pierce Series 42, my fathers car.

3- CCCA 1930’s Big Custom One Off Sedan. Owned a 1933 Pierce LeBaron one off & current 36 V-12 Club Sedan.

4- Brighton Era four cylinder Knox.  Any Knox is still on my list. I don’t think it will happen now. Close twice.

5- CCCA “Floater” a spot in the garage where I turn the car over every two or three years to peruse variety. I have to a small degree managed to do this.

More than five cars is too much work to keep all at peak driving experience........in my humble opinion.

Cars on my “want to own” list, or my “floating car” list: Having driven many cars, they are now no longer desired. Examples of stuff I desperately wanted at one time.....McFarlin, Cunningham, most  Packard 8’s & 12’s,Leyland Lincoln, KB Lincoln, ect,ect,ect.

I have owned a ton of 60’s and 70’s fun cars. A few of them were actually good and a slim few were rare and desirable. I have NO desire for them now, none. I still like them but they no longer offer me a special feeling going down the road.......probably because they offer zero mechanical challenge. 

Things people should drive before they die? Doble, Speed Six, Marmon 16, Duesenberg J, a big Hispano and Isotta, 30’s Alfa and Bugatti, 40 HP White Steam Car, Stanley, Crane Simplex, American Fiat, and the list goes on. I’m lucky to have driven and played with insanely cool stuff.......to me. Stearns Knight 8, pre 1900 American cars, most post war Mercedes, most of the neat post war Chevy’s, Fords, Chrysler’s, I look back and I’m the luckiest guy in the world. 

If I could only have one car as a collector car. Model J Duesenberg with interesting body and history, it’s never going to happen. That’s also OK, as I have driven my fair share of them.......and probably more than my fair share. I find working on interesting cars just as enjoyable as driving them. I think that has been the key to my success in the hobby. Fixing hard problems that others won’t or can’t is fantastically rewarding, and it pays the bills. What more can one ask for. If I die tonight, I die a happy man......my life has been very good.

That's a great list Ed...and there are some real words of wisdom from one who has been there, done that.  I'm with you on the one car only being a Duesenberg J. Like you, I'll probably never get there but hey, that's what dreams are for,  right?

• Like 1

My guess is if we had the "one car" rule, and the dream car became reality every  Model J ever produced would belong to a forum member here!  

Oh heck I will go with a Lebaron Barrelside so you guys can grab some of the "better" Model Js... 😁

I could go with a rebody model J as long as it was more or less authentically restored or assembled properly? But I absolutely MUST have a model T Ford! And a big car pre-1916.  And a 1927 or earlier Nickel era enclosed car.

Wait, that is four cars already?!

Well? If I settled for a Duesenberg model A for the nickel era enclosed car? Without a J, I could cut the list down to three? Not counting the one or two cylinder HCCA car.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

My guess is if we had the "one car" rule, and the dream car became reality every  Model J ever produced would belong to a forum member here!  

Oh heck I will go with a Lebaron Barrelside so you guys can grab some of the "better" Model Js... 😁

Make mine a Murphy convertible sedan on the short wheelbase.  Plenty of room for the family, roll up windows. I wouldn't even care it it had an after market supercharger. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ericmac said:

Make mine a Murphy convertible sedan on the short wheelbase.  Plenty of room for the family, roll up windows. I wouldn't even care it it had an after market supercharger. 

Ok Eric, maybe settle for a derham body? Let me check with Mr. Shappy and see if he is ready to sell! 😁

20160618_101322.jpg

21 hours ago, ericmac said:

How about this one, just out of of a garage where the owner had it 62 years. We took it on tour in Texas a few months ago. First time out in forty years. We are doing a CCCA tour with it in Colorado this September. It’s exactly what you asked for.

20379084-FAAF-4273-9E66-D259966AC598.jpeg

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)

13 hours ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

Ok Eric, maybe settle for a derham body? Let me check with Mr. Shappy and see if he is ready to sell! 😁

20160618_101322.jpg

I'll take it...but only if he'll throw in the Stutz in the background too! Actually,  that Derham body is one of my favorites. 

8 hours ago, edinmass said:

How about this one, just out of of a garage where the owner had it 62 years. We took it on tour in Texas a few months ago. First time out in forty years. We are doing a CCCA tour with it in Colorado this September. It’s exactly what you asked for.

20379084-FAAF-4273-9E66-D259966AC598.jpeg

Perfect.  I could definitely make that car work. Back to playing the lottery....

55 minutes ago, Bills Auto Works said:

As per the original question... My tastes have definitely changed. I have had dozens of Chevelles, Novas, Camaros, Cutlass', etc & still love them all, but the older I get the more I like the more "oddball stuff"  & while I still completely enjoy the balls to the wall power of my 8.90 et Nova on the street (when it is back together again), I can also be happy putting around in something slow & classy.

Over the last few years I picked up a couple that had been on my list for quite a while : 2007 XLR-V & 1967 Marlin. So here are the 7 on my list currently which I am confident I will have sometime in the future as they do not require winning the lottery to buy & have been looking at a couple recently.......

1966-67 Volvo P-1800

1965 GS Riviera

Late 50's Desoto 2dr (either Firedome or Fireflyte)

1966 Charger

1957 Studebaker Golden Hawk

1967 Firebird Sprint 6 cyl OHC 4bbl preferably stick shift

Mid/Late 60's Jag (not too particular as to which one)

I think a lot of us that are addicted heavily have that "One of Each Mentality" & realistically if it is old & pretty close to rust free, I don't care too much what it is....I may buy it! This is how I ended up with my 67 Toronado recently!

God Bless

Bill

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/nationwide-single-car-transport-hauling-open-or-enclosed.614419/

Yes indeed Bill. You have a list that has newer cars than I usually like but nothing I would decline if I had the chance to own.

• Thanks 1

My list is basically five categories, which, has not changed since I was about 14 years old. This list is in no particular order other than category number 1 (Brass Era) will always be on top: 

1-Brass Era

2-Nickel era performance vehicles

3-Fords 1903-1934

4-Early period (1932 and earlier) Full Classics.

5-1925 and earlier racing cars and speedsters

With rare exception, I start to loose interest in cars starting with the advent of chrome plating. I prefer brass, nickel or painted trim. I like cars with exposed radiators or radiators that have shells but not grilles. I like un-skirted fenders that still show some chassis.

By 1935 the designs of most vehicles completely looses my interest-too bulbously rounded and generally too similar in appearance. I have always appreciated design that follows the old rule of Form Follows Function.

Due to vehicular overlap, I have basically been able to personally accumulate-and drive extensively- cars in the five categories I have mentioned. 

Edited by motoringicons (see edit history)
    • Like 2