Leaving the old car hobby, selling everything, fare thee well

trimacar

18 hours ago, trimacar said:

What serenity, with no oil leaks nor cursing at tools, nor promised work not delivered, nor outrageous prices for parts, nor

I helped wrap up construction on a new building at a retreat not far from me. One of my retired contractor friends is a member. The building was built for complete silence during meditation, thick timber walls, low velocity hot water heating, cushioned floors, serenity. The code inspector came in. He demanded an exhaust fan for the kitchen, just a constant whir to vibrate through the building. What! The most that griddle will see is a few bean sprouts. "Well, you never know when someone will put in a deep fryer" he cautioned with authority.

I was not a member so I took care of that 85th problem.

18 hours ago, ron hausmann said:

Actually, considering the insanity we face almost daily in our businesses, our lives, and our world, this course really doesn’t seem to be too bad. True peace and serenity sounds pretty appealing.

ron 

Figures that someone with so many Kissels would need to find some sanity in the world.  😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, avgwarhawk said:

Say Hi to Chip Monk for me. 

Per your Louisiana background,

and exceptional cullinary skills (we have  come to love your cooking over the years),

When they assign you to Kitchen duty,

you'll likely earn the title:

"Fish Friar"

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

I helped wrap up construction on a new building at a retreat not far from me. One of my retired contractor friends is a member. The building was built for complete silence during meditation, thick timber walls, low velocity hot water heating, cushioned floors, serenity. The code inspector came in. He demanded an exhaust fan for the kitchen, just a constant whir to vibrate through the building. What! The most that griddle will see is a few bean sprouts. "Well, you never know when someone will put in a deep fryer" he cautioned with authority.

I was not a member so I took care of that 85th problem.

I’ve handled many construction projects, can identify with that!  I better be the Head Friar, Marty!

Two young-ish monks are at the barrels in cell where the exquisite cognac is kept and bottled.
The elder monk has apparently gone to his ultimate reward.

one of the younger brothers turns to the other and says:

”But I thought he passed the secret formula to you”

image.png.3786d502e6f2d41ff977ce7e6a99c005.png

• Haha 2

In the days before printing and movable type Irish monks transcribed copies of the Bible. Apparently they were members of a haplogroup inclined to write comments in the margins. Sure would like to read one of those.

I was raised not to write in books, dogear pages, or fold back the binding. Marginal comments, well, depends of the medium.

Here is a copy with the comment "OMG, I'm so hung over" in ogham.

San-Gal-904-p204-top.jpg

On 4/1/2021 at 10:39 PM, wayne sheldon said:

Tell me more?

.........earlier:

"If the Brothers in Virginia don't work out abbey-wise, my cousin Guido told me about a much more exclusive one in the mountains above Boulder that takes the cake as far as a higher spiritual plane. No vow of silence or medieval robes but you had to have been to other planets. I believe it was called Cosmos Abbey."

The place really existed in 1975. Must be the most exclusive club on earth...or Colorado, anyway. Don't know who they were or what they did. They were either a bunch of harmless hippies & UFO freaks, or some people who had really been to other planets.

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)

Seriously, I DID make a retreat at the Monastery in Berryville....way back in 1961.  As I recall, their big marketing effort was not fruitcake but a black bread...I think...pumpernickel.  They  stocked grocery stores in Fredericksburg, VA.

Another monk had been assigned as a Scribe, 

for all new directives of holiness of the monks shall be a direct handwritten copy from prior version.

The young monk actually went back to one of the earliest versions -

And Then the entire Monastery heard a Blood-Curdling Cry from the Depths of the cavernous copy room.

They ran to the source of the wailing,

and asked the young monk , 

"What is the source of your anguish?"

He cried,

and he pointed to the ancient manuscript-

There, There he pointed, noting a spelling error, the omission of a single letter "R" in the transcription ...

The Original word was "CELEBRATE

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)
  • Haha 2

Gent decides to join a monastery.  Goes up and knocks on the door.  The Superior answers “Can I help you”?   Gent replies “I want to join up”.

Superior says “you must be made aware we have rigid rules such as absolute silence and at 5 year intervals I will ask you in only 2 words how you are doing”.  OK the gent replies.

At the 5 year mark the Superior asks “how are you doing”?  Gent replies “BED HARD!”

At the 10 year mark the Superior asks him “how are you doing”?  Gent replies “FOOD STINKS!”

At the 15 year mark the Superior asks him “how are you doing”?  Gent replies “I QUIT!”

Superior replies “GOOD!  ALL YOU DID WAS COMPLAIN ANYWAY!”

• Haha 1