Anybody else here run in the Soap Box Derby?

alsancle

The only benefit to cleaning my mom's attic is that I found some more pictures.    So,  I won in 1977,  my next brother down raced in 1978 in Senior and then my little brother ran Junior in 1980 and won also.   For some reason all the pictures of me are crystal clear from 1977,  but after that it looks like we were using a camera from the late 19th century.

Here is my brother's Senior car from 1978 or 79.  He would have been 12 or 13.  Notice it looks a lot better than mine.  My dad got very interested after I won.

AJ451.jpg

AJ394.jpg

These are shots from 1980.   During Derby week they would hold an open house on Friday I think.  The cars would all be lined up for display.   The Senior cars are in front here and the Junior cars are in back. You get an idea of the differences and level of sophistication.

AJ473.jpg

AJ475.jpg

AJ476.jpg

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, auburnseeker said:

Great thread.  We never experienced this as a kid where I was from, even though we had nothing but hills and mountains. 

I thought i would contribute this. I thinks it's an NOS Billboard circa 1971? 

thumbnail.jpeg

looking at the cars I might say late 50s to early 60s.

On 11/20/2020 at 11:50 AM, trimacar said:

It was not just the build and the day of the race, there was also an inspection day to make sure no rules were broken (and there are a lot of rules).  There are ways to make a car go faster down a hill, I never learned them, obviously.  The people that know the legal tricks and how to implement them do well.  The forbidden tricks are a little more risky, minor things they’d let you fix on inspection day, a blatant cheating attempt and it was zero tolerance.

Once a car was approved, the parent and driver didn’t see it again until race day, so no tricks after inspection.

Just an example, you can shim your axles so that the driver can shift weight, and only three wheels touch the ground, thus less rolling resistance. Not allowed by the way.

the most famous cheating trick was the winner of a 1970’s Derby.  There was a metal gate which held the cars and then flipped forward to start race.  Officials noticed the winner’s car seemed to jump forward when gate went down.  Turns out there was an electromagnet hidden in the nose of the car...

I thought this video was really interesting, it's all about the electromagnet car but also talks about the history of the derby and what the experience was like for the kids who ran in it. Worth a watch if you're interested in the derby.

https://youtu.be/I2Fl-6JbWR0

Edited by AL1630 (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

You have to wonder if Chevrolet ever regretted withdrawing their sponsorship. Bound to think it was good advertising but Smith would probably have axed it anyway had it made it thru the 1980s.

Several 1967-68 AMT Chevrolet annual model kits included brochures on the Derby. It was fascinating to me as a 12 year old but, no Soap Box Derbies in Southside Vajenya back then. Not that my dad would have supported any interest in it- if it didn't have to do with a tobacco field he considered it unimportant and not worth discussing.🙄

• 9 months later...

There were a few Soap Box Derby cars for sale at Hershey this year.  I should have taken some pictures.  One was a 1950s car which was pretty cool.    I just scanned a few more negatives and found these.  Two of my Senior champ car, one of my little brothers car before it was painted.   Not sure who was in the ramp shot,  but it shows you how little the slit was you were looking out of.

AJ013.jpg

AJ031.jpg

AJ032.jpg

AJ033.jpg

AJ034.jpg

• Like 4

I think I'm just about out of pictures.   These two are my little brother.  He was third of three and this is him and his junior car before the race in Worcester which he won and went to the Championships .  I think it was July 1980.  He would have been 9.  First year of elgibility if I remember correctly.   The smaller the kid the better off you were.    He's like 6-1 225 now.

AJ065.jpg

AJ066.jpg

• Like 1

Juniata College version- Fall 1974.  There were two classes, bicycle wheels and no bicycle wheels.  Won my class, but managed to crash into a parked car on the last run.  Nothing hurt, other than my pride.  Did put a dent in the car though, and the owner didn't have a sense of humor about it if I recall.  

That hill was a lot steeper than it appears in this picture.  We got up to some pretty good speed.  I am on the left in the first pic.  Second pic is after I crashed.  Others hit that car too, as evidenced by the debris. 

JCZ (left) Fall 1974.jpg

JCZ Crash Fall 1974.jpg

Edited by Zimm63 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Found some more pictures.  These are from the fall of 1977 at a Rally in NH.   My last hurrah as I did not fit in my car after that.   Once you win a local race you are retired from the All American, so building another car just to rally didn't make much sense.   So we built one for my brother the next year.

Out of 40 cars I believe I placed 5th.    Couple of interesting points,  this hill was steep enough to not need ramps.   You would change your weight distribution because of that.   I ran 10-15 lbs heavy in the rear when I won on ramps,  and for this race I ran even front to back.    In the finish line photo (with me winning the heat)  You can see the brake coming down on the blue car between the axles.

AJ014.jpg.57af2a5e87dabb5f53f921a1890b89b2.jpgAJ013.jpg.f3a09f9d0a5d7d42525fb334a161a077.jpgAJ020.jpg.f1d8f1088d2392bd431bdfb44fc6fa1d.jpgAJ033.jpg.3921b926c7e84e380c75be5614014a83.jpgAJ034.jpg.5156c9e27a0cdb5d0284dd9a2b913392.jpg

• Like 3

Great Thread, the sport not available on Princeton, NJ.   My father, brother  and I built a yard car with a big heavy 5 HP gas engine, to heavy to drive on the grass.  Learned to drive a real car on 12th birthday and bought a motorcyvle to restore @ 13.    About age 30 I bought a set of Soap Box Derby steel wheels, never had kids and sold wheels at a flea market 20 years later, after retiring from the Great American Races, which satisfied my need to race.

Edited by Paul Dobbin (see edit history)
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...

I stumbled upon this topic and this is in the hopes that alsancle or any of you others can help me.   I have the #384 Senior Division  racer from the '77 Derby. Built by the Industrial Arts Class at Hampstead Hill Jr. High.  I did not pilot the racer nor did I compete in The Derby.  I just came across the racer many years ago. Anyway, I have been acquiring documentation, history, etc. on the racer since I came across it many years ago.  I have an original program from the '77 Derby ( 40th ) as well as an original rule book and one news article from a local paper ( Baltimore Sun ) from when the car won its' local qualifier for The Derby. I have the Champion's Banner from that Derby although this racer was NOT the Champion.  The racer was piloted by Brian Bernat.  Any additional info would be greatly appreciated !!!  Thank you one and all in advance. 

DSCN0001.JPG

DSCN0002.JPG

DSCN0003.JPG

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, freewheelin said:

I stumbled upon this topic and this is in the hopes that alsancle or any of you others can help me.   I have the #384 Senior Division  racer from the '77 Derby. Built by the Industrial Arts Class at Hampstead Hill Jr. High.  I did not pilot the racer nor did I compete in The Derby.  I just came across the racer many years ago. Anyway, I have been acquiring documentation, history, etc. on the racer since I came across it many years ago.  I have an original program from the '77 Derby ( 40th ) as well as an original rule book and one news article from a local paper ( Baltimore Sun ) from when the car won its' local qualifier for The Derby. I have the Champion's Banner from that Derby although this racer was NOT the Champion.  The racer was piloted by Brian Bernat.  Any additional info would be greatly appreciated !!!  Thank you one and all in advance. 

DSCN0001.JPG

DSCN0002.JPG

DSCN0003.JPG

That is cool. He was in Akron the same year I was there. Of course I don’t remember anything about it. Or remember the car. However, I’m sure there were many local newspaper articles at the time. I was in a bunch of them as it was a relatively big deal back then.

• Like 2

Thanks for the reply.  I was looking at all of the pics you posted to see if I get an image of "my" racer in the back ground and / or even a pic of Brian. I contacted the school years ago which is no longer a Jr. High and they said they would have no info. They do but just don't know it. I'd have to make a road trip and find it myself.   I was looking to get a pic of the shop class that built the racer.  I know there is "stuff" out there somewhere.  I got  hold of a photographer at The Sun who's father also worked for The Sun and  worked the local qualifier and was able to at least get a copy of the article I do have. That's all of the provenance I have ( other than the program and rule book ).  Speaking of the program, whoever had it penciled in the names of the heat results so I was lucky to get that.  "My" racer got third in his heat. Oh well, it was worth a shot and I appreciate your interest. Thanks again !!!!

The list of cars in participants for the All-American should be available somewhere.

Also look at the pictures of my car towards the end of the thread. You can see that it has the all American numbering stickers on it. Your car should have those also if it raced. They don’t come off easily, and mine are still onto this day. 

When I was on the 2003 Model T Tour Across America, from California to Detroit, I rode with Gil Klecan.  In discussion with him, I found he had been a Soapbox Derby racer, and actually made the front cover of either Life or Look Magazine at the time. He had put graphite dust on the exterior of his car in an effort to make it faster, and wound up looking like a 1910 Indianapolis Race Driver, with the black dust all over his face. It was quite a dramatic picture. I believe this was in the early 50's or late 40's when this occurred. He was only 12 years old or so. But he DEFINITELY looked like a real race car driver!

• Like 3

AJ, thanks for starting this thread a few years ago.  A good read this morning with my first cup of coffee.  It is Nostalgic for me and in keeping with a conversation we had last night with some close friends who came over for dinner.  After food and a couple bottles of wine, we spent 30 minutes talking about how lucky we were growing up in a middle class neighborhood with parents who loved us and were responsible.  I am so thankful for that and don't want to take it for granted.  This thread on Soap Box Derby has me wanting to do it today......and I'm 59.  We never did anything this organized or official, but prior to discovering girls and getting our license, we were "builders".  It was always something........Cars made from wood with no engine, an assortment of Minibikes and gocarts (store bought and home made), Dams of creeks to build a pond with dreams to have the "best fishing spot in town", Treehouses, so many of them, in our yards (or the neighboring 50acre woods)...no parental help, no one to explain the limits of a Cantilever design (leading to a collapse from 15 feet up and a broken arm for my buddy), Ramps at the edge of the Lake so you could ride your bike as fast as you could down the driveway, keep going down the hill to the lake, hit the ramp and get 10-12 feet of vertical air and maybe 25 feet out into the water when you and bike splashed down in water over your head......  Before girls and cars, we woke up everyday when there wasn't school and started on the next hairbrained scheme we had cooked up the night before.  We did all this crazy stuff because no one stopped us or told us not to.  Fishing, football/basketball/baseball in the neighborhood, and Building crazy stuff.  That was our youth.  It was the best.  I still remember the first buddy in our group telling us that he liked a girl in our class and started doing stuff with her instead of hanging with us.  We thought he was crazy.........until one by one, we followed his lead and that magic season came to and end.  

I see periodically a Soap Box Derby car for sale, I've thought about picking one up with good aesthetics for garage art, but kind of feel bad doing that since I didn't ever build or race one.   This thread is a great read for the kid in me....in all of us.  

• Like 7

Yes, Great thread. John B. you and I are about the same age, as I just turned 60. Your experiences as a kid mirror mine and we could have been hanging out in the same group! Just like AJ's post sparked your memories yours has sparked mine! Thank you. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, TAKerry said:

Yes, Great thread. John B. you and I are about the same age, as I just turned 60. Your experiences as a kid mirror mine and we could have been hanging out in the same group! Just like AJ's post sparked your memories yours has sparked mine! Thank you. 

At our age, I am very sensitive to the fact that some had a difficult childhood.  I'm sure everything wasn't rosy for mine, but I have selective memory after all those years.  I remember it all being good.  Luckily we didn't kill anyone playing with fire and trying things that wouldn't have happened with more adult supervision.  

Sorry for the hijack AJ......back to Soap Box Derby cars.  Kudos to the people who brought that whole concept to the public circa 1934?

• Like 2

It was a great time for most all of us baby boomers.  All of the things we could do without supervision by just "go outside and play" stuff we did it is a miracle that any of us survived compared to today's bubble wrapped kids. 

It was a great time of imagination where we did not have the diversion of electronics and could expand our imaginations and learn lessons that would last a lifetime.

My car stuff besides working on cars with my Dad at that age, I participated in the Fisher Body Craftsman guild and built two cars that I still have.  Good memories.

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)
  • Like 7

I guess a soap box car does not have an engine, so these cars from the early thirties are  called what?  I didn't know Groucho and Harpo raced these.  

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Peter Gariepy changed the title to Anybody else here run in the Soap Box Derby?
On 3/2/2024 at 8:30 AM, Larry Schramm said:

It was a great time for most all of us baby boomers.  All of the things we could do without supervision by just "go outside and play" stuff we did it is a miracle that any of us survived compared to today's bubble wrapped kids. 

It was a great time of imagination where we did not have the diversion of electronics and could expand our imaginations and learn lessons that would last a lifetime.

My car stuff besides working on cars with my Dad at that age, I participated in the Fisher Body Craftsman guild and built two cars that I still have.  Good memories.

Didn’t happen if no pictures! 😁

• Haha 1