1938 Graham Supercharged Shark-nose - Original! - $15500 - Adell, WI - Not Mine - SOLD - For Sale again, $10K higher priced. -Relisted, Price Reduced to $23,500: 7-19-'21

1938 Graham Supercharged Shark-nose - Original! - $15500 - Adell, WI - For Sale again, $10K higher priced. - Relisted, Price Reduced to $23,500: 7-19-'21, see new link below:

https://sheboygan.craigslist.org/cto/d/adell-1938-graham-supercharged/7170448963.html

Very nice & rare Graham Model 97 Supercharged Shark-nose sedan. Original, no rust and unrestored survivor except new black paint (original color) and interior reupholstered. Supercharged 6cyl, 4-speed overdrive trans. Runs & drives great! Same owner for 22 years. Please contact for more info.

Copy and paste in your email:  dc8c25d80e0438848cb163368b3ae9fd@sale.craigslist.org

I have no personal interest or stake in the eventual sale of this 1938 Graham Supercharged Shark-nose sedan.

'38 Graham Supercharged Sharknose WI a.jpg

'38 Graham Supercharged Sharknose WI b.jpg

'38 Graham Supercharged Sharknose WI c.jpg

'38 Graham Supercharged Sharknose WI d.jpg

'38 Graham Supercharged Sharknose WI e.jpg

'38 Graham Supercharged Sharknose WI f.jpg

'38 Graham Supercharged Sharknose WI g.jpg

'38 Graham Supercharged Sharknose WI h.jpg

'38 Graham Supercharged Sharknose WI aa.jpg

Edited by 58L-Y8
For Sale again, $10K higher priced. July 2021 - Relisted, Price Reduced to $23,500: 7-19-'21 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I've had a car like that about 10 years ago .That was very rare down here in Belgium .The car drove very good , it was a euro version as it had a Euro speedometer , was sold new to the US consul in Spain when new .I am tempted to get more information on the car but they look so strange that i am hesitating .And I already have to many cars as my wife says ( and she's correct )

No, your wife is not is not correct, just don’t tell her I said that.😀  They have a built-in wife to wife genetic network and I’m sure she would contact my wife and tell her to give me a good swift kick in the backside.  And I like the car too!

Edited by TerryB (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

the current popular "in words" are refurbishing , survivor, barn find, Rare, Very Rare . I agree with Aubrunseeker that the word survivor is morphing - or better yet being used to much , or worn thin - but perhaps my patience with reading that word is being worn thin so from now on I won't pay attention or bother with anything described as being a "survivor" .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

That's a really neat car for not a lot of cash. I like it!

4-speed with overdrive seems weird, though. 3-speed with overdrive maybe?

The latter.   The blown Graham engine was around 124 hp and fairly peppy.  The 1940 Hollywood was the fastest 0-60 car made in the US that year.

This looks like a pretty good deal.  Typically you see two tone maroon and silver low budget resto cars for more money.

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

4-speed with overdrive seems weird, though. 3-speed with overdrive maybe?

Probably!

Graham did have a four speed, but as far as I know it was long gone by 1939. It wasn't that helpful, according to some owners I spoke with at a Graham convention a few years ago. It was direct in fourth, and low was a stump puller normally not meant to be used.

Graham had Borg Warner overdrive fairly early in the game. I know it was optional in 1937. That is undoubtedly what is in the 39. Nice car!

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)

Yes 3 speed with overdrive, great car, it will cruse 70 mph all day.  Graham-Paige had the 4 speed in 28, 29, 30, yes 1st gear was to get out of the mud.  The owners manual recommends starting out in 2nd gear under normal driving conditions.  I use the granny gear all the time when moving my 4 speed Graham-Paige cars around the shed and it is also nice when driving on soft ground/grass.

• 10 months later...
  • 58L-Y8 changed the title to 1938 Graham Supercharged Shark-nose - Original! - $15500 - Adell, WI - Not Mine - SOLD - For Sale again, $10K higher priced.

For everyone's reference, here is the text--and the

important contact information--from the new seller's

(flipper's) ad.  The heading in the ad says $24,500,

but his paragraph says $25,900:

"Mint condition 1938 Graham Sharknose Supercharged, this car is 83 years old and in showroom condition. Rust free origional car. Has the Supercharged 6 cylinder engine with a 3 speed manual transmission with overdrive, and it runs like a clock. This car was a Mechanic/Shop owners prize possession for many years. You probably have never seen one, and may never see another. The outside looks like new, the inside looks like new. Everything mechanically has been rebuilt including the motor. This car runs down the road at 70 MPH almost effortlessly. Top speed of 91 MPH. It would cost over a $50,000 to restore a car to the shape of this car, and this car is origional. The price of the car is $25,900, reduced to $24,500. If you are serious and have the money call 92o_830_499four. Calls only, (No Text), can not respond."

• Like 1

I have no clue to current market value on this car............

The extra ten grand was for checking the air pressure in the tires. 

I sort of agree with Matt. Looks like a lot of car for the money.....even at the plus ten flip price.

• Haha 1

The 15k was giving the car away,  the new price is probably a little high.    But this is the most decent honest example of a Spirit of Motion Graham that I have seen in 5 years.   For some reason most of these cars are beat to death or restored like they are going in a Shriner's Parade.

I think my wife failed to pay my membership so I'm out,  but I felt that the club was fairly active and there are parts to be found.   You can still get stuff from NAPA for these.

1 hour ago, kingrudy said:

Nice looking car, but for 25k there are a wide variety of cars to choose from. I'm not sure if this styling will appeal to everyone IMO.

I think it's more striking than attractive, but what other supercharged prewar car can you get in this condition for $25K? Even if other contemporary cars had more HP,  which car is going to draw the crowds? This one, or a big Buick, Packard, etc?

My car has taught me one very valuable lesson. Beware of cars that will be difficult to find parts for.  My '40 Buick Super was the first year for the Super and several parts that I needed to source were specific to the Super and Roadmaster of this year only. Now if I had to search for parts for the Graham, well you get my drift.... For 25k I would buy a nice Packard. 

17 hours ago, suchan said:

I think it's more striking than attractive, but what other supercharged prewar car can you get in this condition for $25K? Even if other contemporary cars had more HP,  which car is going to draw the crowds? This one, or a big Buick, Packard, etc?

"More striking than attractive" really sums it up well. I think that we are more likely to tire of cars, and other things, that are highly stylized. This is a great example of a car that I enjoy studying at a show, but I'm content to let someone else own.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, kingrudy said:

My car has taught me one very valuable lesson. Beware of cars that will be difficult to find parts for.  My '40 Buick Super was the first year for the Super and several parts that I needed to source were specific to the Super and Roadmaster of this year only. Now if I had to search for parts for the Graham, well you get my drift.... For 25k I would buy a nice Packard. 

I posted this above.  Graham made their own motors, but were assembled otherwise.   You can buy a bunch of parts from NAPA for these.   And other than the blower are simple cars.

There some built with custom bodies that are just spectacular.

1938-graham-97-supercharged-saoutchik-ca

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

AJ: 

I think I have seen a total of either three or four Graham Combination Coupes in my life-time.   First was the junkyard 'ghost'; second a maroon example at the Graham National Meet held at Canandaigua, NY a couple decades ago, and third an old-gold-metallic one at Hershey a couple years ago.  There may have been one more which will come to memory yet.   The body style wasn't added to the line until 1939.   There are two different versions of the body, one more close-coupled with a longer trunk than the other.  I don't know if that coincides with a model year, 'Graham Man' will have to answer that.  Perhaps a separate 1939-'40 Graham Combination Coupes thread is in order...

Steve

• 58L-Y8 changed the title to 1938 Graham Supercharged Shark-nose - Original! - $15500 - Adell, WI - Not Mine - SOLD - For Sale again, $10K higher priced. -Relisted, Price Reduced to $23,500: 7-19-'21

I saw the car at Iola and it looks pretty good.  The new owner is just a flipper with a poor attitude.  I asked him for details and he would not open the hood or doors and he just pointed to the facebook page that really didn't say much.  I would not ever do business with him which is a shame for the car.  When you take a car to a huge car show with over 100,000 people walk past it and it still doesn't sell, I would be suspect.

I heard the previous owner was very meticulous and loved it so much he did not want anyone to drive it.  He just wanted it preserved.  What a shame.

9 hours ago, Gerczak said:

I heard the previous owner was very meticulous and loved it so much he did not want anyone to drive it.  He just wanted it preserved.  What a shame.

9 hours ago, Gerczak said:

The new owner is just a flipper with a poor attitude. 

The original owner loved the car.  I wonder:  When the

flipper came and bought the car, did he tell the seller

the truth?  Or did the flipper pretend to love the car and

say he'd put it in his personal collection, implying that he

would appreciate it and keep it for years?  I've heard

cases of the latter.

So many good people, honest and genuine caretakers

of their cars, knowledgeable about history, are what

really enhance our hobby.