Got a caption for this photo?

Lebowski

"If I jam on the brakes hard enough, I can get a lovely impression of my beautiful daughters face in my dashboard". The crazy things that we all did years ago!

• Like 1

“Okay Mrs. Berryhill, as you know, this pilot infant crash dummy test is very important to us.  You must follow these steps exactly as you have learned during our training program; to recap the basics, you will accelerate to 57 mph and then press the brake pedal as quickly and as hard as you can.  The plastic will protect the lovely upholstery from the expected... ummmm... mess.  We have selected another baby for the next test at 2:30 pm.”

There is nothing funny about the first picture.  Hindsight is wonderful guys but back then those baby carriers were all we had.  The alternative was to have a second person available to hold the baby.  The one we had even had a wire bracket on the back so the baby could join us at the table or sit on the counter while his mother was baking.

If any one of you can honestly say that they never did a stupid thing, by today's standards, in the past years then you are a better man than me Magee.

5 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

Actually the dash trim was my first clue.  Upholstery pattern as well.  Even the steering wheel and shift knob.  Pretty sure it's a 56.  Could be off by one year but I'll go with my gut instinct. 

Dash trim? The dash isn't shown in the pic.... :o

The edge is.  It's a wrap around dash and has a piece that goes from the instrument cluster to the edge of the door pillar in a c shape It's got a concaved center and tapers as it gets close to the door just like the one shown.

Here is the opposite side.  

Cheaper 4 door sedans had the other style interior shown in your photo.

0-1-1024x644.jpg

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Tinindian said:

There is nothing funny about the first picture.  Hindsight is wonderful guys but back then those baby carriers were all we had.  The alternative was to have a second person available to hold the baby.  The one we had even had a wire bracket on the back so the baby could join us at the table or sit on the counter while his mother was baking.

If any one of you can honestly say that they never did a stupid thing, by today's standards, in the past years then you are a better man than me Magee.

Ford tried, but safety didn't sell in 1956.  https://www.macsmotorcitygarage.com/video-1956-ford-lifeguard-design-pioneer-in-auto-safety/

It wasn't until the early 1970's when GM came out with their factory-issued 'Love Seat' for infant & toddler-age passengers when the public started to become aware of safely conveying younger children.

Craig

11 hours ago, 8E45E said:

Ford tried, but safety didn't sell in 1956.  https://www.macsmotorcitygarage.com/video-1956-ford-lifeguard-design-pioneer-in-auto-safety/

It wasn't until the early 1970's when GM came out with their factory-issued 'Love Seat' for infant & toddler-age passengers when the public started to become aware of safely conveying younger children.

Craig

My son was born in 1975 and we bought one the new rear facing safety baby carrier and the nurse that brought my wife out with our baby had a fit when we put him in the back seat facing back instead of the new mother holding him for the trip home.

25 minutes ago, Jim Bollman said:

My son was born in 1975 and we bought one the new rear facing safety baby carrier and the nurse that brought my wife out with our baby had a fit when we put him in the back seat facing back instead of the new mother holding him for the trip home.

I guess that nurse was never on GM's women 'Damsels in Design' team:  https://www.chapters.indigo.ca/en-ca/books/damsels-in-design-women-pioneers/9780764354359-item.html?ikwid=damsels+in+design&ikwsec=Home&ikwidx=0#algoliaQueryId=6ec0d6edaf2422c8ffba80934c8c72e6   One of the members, Suzanne Vanderbilt can be credited for inventing a child restraint that faced rearwards.

Craig