Working on the 60 Electra

13 hours ago, Bill Stoneberg said:

So today was a day of working on the wife’s car. She drives a 2007 Lucerne with 56,000 miles on it. The Alternator went out and took the battery with it. 
Such a different car to work on.  Engine mounted sideways, serpentine belt, battery under the back seat and metric fasteners. 
it took me a while and finally my wife’s help to get the belt replaced but nothing was hard, just not as much space as I am used to on the older cars.

Today's cars are really packed tightly under the hood.  Gives the impression that you are getting a lot for the big bucks they cost.  lol...

That back seat battery was a surprise on my 95 Riviera too.  

Hope that all heals up soon Bill. 

My late machine shop operative had age spots on his forearms.  He'd point to them and call them "Hen Peck Spots", which he said made his then-girlfriend mad.  He enjoyed telling about that.

If things work out right, those bruises will be fading away by the middle of next month.  "Battle Bruises".

Happy Holidays, y'all!

NTX5467

My wife and I were having lunch yesterday and talking about some of my car related things. I am a bit of a computer geek and she never realized that I used to register a domain name, workonthejag.com. And used an email address, bernie@workonthejag.com.

You know, I just checked:

Workonthebuick.JPG.ffd0ed7a48a65b81a2a0502e044ed444.JPG

Bill@workonthebuick.com could be an option.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Bill Stoneberg said:

Arms are healing up. Back to removing parts again. Now the whole front end is apart. Found rot Under the battery that will take some repair. Body mounts were gone and will need replacing. 
Going to blast and paint before the rain starts this week.

40D8791A-8350-4626-B9E6-234D36AFFC17.jpeg

2B85BA1C-0DDC-473C-BF2C-4278142DA78F.jpeg

Every time you show a picture there are more parts missing!  Mission creep...?

So, the whole front end is apart now.  No wheels, tires or suspension. We want to blast, prime and paint it before starting to put it together. Don’t want to do that in the garage as it makes a big mess so want to move it to the driveway. Unfortunately the driveway is a steep slope. We can get the car out but we use a winch to pull it back in.  How can that work with no front end ?

Rob made these devices that will bolt in the bumper holes n the frame and allow the car to be rolled in and out of the garage. Made out so scraps and casters he had laying around.  The idea is to push it out of the garage with the winch attached and let the winch control where it goes and hold it. 

Then winch the car back in when done.

Good thing is these are adjustable so they can be used for the Jeep that is next in line for work.

BTW. The little black plat attached to the floor is a mount for the winch. It is not part of the stands / wheels.

3A15E90F-B7AE-40AA-B37E-6ADF52837FA1.jpeg

6C5F2961-6A5C-4395-9395-A37829D55854.jpeg

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Brad Conley said:

One must also be mindful of "Rabbit Holes" and at all cost, avoid the "While were here" syndrome.  Both are just as bad as any slippery slope.

LOL.  We have hit both of those already.  The “While you are here” syndrome is hard to avoid for both of us.

But we have mostly avoided the “New technology is better” disease.
We are not going to cut off the front end and weld a subframe on or put a LS motor in.

Going to go with the drum brakes and stock suspension as opposed to disk brakes and coil overs.

Edited by Bill Stoneberg (see edit history)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

We kinda get that white stuff here every once and awhile, too!  But then again, we do get a couple of 95F degree days with 95% humidity, also....somewhat rare but its been known to happen.  All is better than hurricanes.  Happy New Year. 

I walked out the door last night about 9:45 and saw white, fluffy flakes falling.  Just enough to cover the grass and put some on the cars.  Temp indicator on the LeSabre said "33".  Now, this morning, it's leaving slowly at 7:45am.  Just on the eastern fringes of what happened.

Enjoy your first day of the New Year!

NTX5467

9 hours ago, Bill Stoneberg said:

Ok, I want to know which one of y’all sent snow down my way.  We had a whole bunch of it today.  
If your not careful, I will have to send the 95 degree 95 percent humidity up to y’all next summer. We are not amused.

5EACC3B1-1368-47AB-B444-1C6D7AAD217A.jpeg

You call that a lot of snow?  Sheesh!

• Haha 3

47 minutes ago, NTX5467 said:

BUT . . . how long before it went away?  Ours was pretty much gone by the time the sun got up, much less some later-sleepers.

NTX5467  

It was mid afternoon before all of it was gone.  Sunny spots were earlier of course. Overall we got an inch of that stuff.

The 1988 Montreal Protocol must be working!

"The global partnership, stakeholder involvement and overall commitment of the countries lent to the success of the ozone protection regime. A successful hydrofluorocarbon phasedown is expected to avoid up to 0.4°C of global temperature rise by 2100, while continuing to protect the ozone layer."

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, avgwarhawk said:

Bill, was it your intentions to go this far into replacing, repairing, adding and restoring?  It's like painting one room in a house. Once complete all the other rooms just look bad and need paint. 

No, we started off just wanting to put new AC in. But we found issues in the engine. And while the engine is off getting rebuilt we looked at the suspension and found issues.

The rest of the car looks good with a new interior and good paint, so this is as far as we are going. Rob is A great mechanic and fabricator, so I am lucky to be working with him. 

• Like 4

Now the car is in the driveway getting blasted. You can see how the stands work along with the steepness of the driveway.

The 64 Riv is Rob’s and it has a hot cam, and EFI.  Oh yea, it also has a crack beneath the starter so it leaks a little water. Kk

6F4F5E9D-583F-4982-9932-ED43505119F3.jpeg

885835AC-3223-438B-A79D-7508319F54C0.jpeg

• Like 3

Willis,Along with parking brake and wheel chocks.

So it got blasted today and is now ready for paint. It took an hour to get it back into the garage and another hour to get the trans fluid that poured out of the torque ball cleaned up.

EC642B98-8D15-4B49-99D2-30B35E37A15D.jpeg

61EB1CF7-1829-4E0D-8204-2526CEC4DA2F.jpeg

• Like 3