Sign in to follow this  
Bill Stoneberg

Working on the 60 Electra

Unfortunately, I have to farm some work out on my 60 Electra.  I would rather be doing it myself, but due to health reasons, I can't move as well as I once did and getting on the floor will keep me on the floor.  So a good friend has offered to do the needed work

He lives in the same neighborhood where I used to live. Look at the size of his garage, with the step up in the front the Electra just fits. He keeps the garage door closed as his garage has AC.

More pictures coming as he gets to work after this weekend.

IMG_9193.thumb.jpeg.555a251d9d07ee7ad75546aacd9bd85f.jpeg

Edited by Bill Stoneberg (see edit history)
  • Like 4

He is a good friend.  I completely understand the cold concrete floor.  Once there getting up can be a trial.   What work are you having done on the 60?

Chris,  I am rebuilding the Center link after seeing your post. Plus find out why it wanders and correct that.  Replace all the rubber brake lines and look at the other parts. We will also add a electric fuel pump and replace the 80 lb starter with a mini starter. Plus I am sure there will be more we find. And who knows, maybe an upgrade or two.

He is a good friend, I sold my 64 Riv to him. I don’t sell cars to people I know, but made an exception and that car now runs and looks better then ever.

• Like 2

Bill,

I have MOUNTAINS of parts for a 1960 Buick -- including U.S.A. made

(N.O.S.) Upper & Lower Ball Joints...

If you need or want, you are welcome to call me......

Craig --- 516 - 485 - 1935...... New York....

(When I get down on the ground -- you need a camera -- to watch me TRY and get up....)

Good bet the center link rebuild will correct wander.  The lower ball joints when unloaded will exhibit some play.  The manual does describe how much play is allowable.  What cured my wander in the 60 was setting the toe.  I use the string and measuring tape method for setting toe.  Camber and caster never appeared to be a problem.  Putting her on an alignment rack was not necessary in my case. 

That list of things to do kind of seems a little ambitious for just one weekend?  But motivation and "engagement" always help.

Laying on the ground, under a correctly-supported vehicle can be stress relief.  Plus laying there can be a great opportunity to stretch and get the spine re-aligned!  But after a while, getting vertical again will need to happen.  Rolling over and then progressively getting on "all fours", then using hands to steady one's self as vertical is slowly achieved again.  Always good when a plan comes together!

Keep us posted on the progress!

NTX5467

Willis,  I agree, it is long for one weekend.  Thats why it will probably take a month to do 🙂.  Besides you know how you run into the "While I am here" repairs.

Not to mention its summer and hot, not conducive to driving a older in Texas.

Nope, can't get vertical from the ground right now. Hell, I can't even look in the bottom of the fridge without help getting back up.

I get lazy just washing white walls. I had the garage built in 1988, right before home lifts got popular, 8" ceiling. Right now I am planning a pop up in the roof for 12" of lift height. Getting old.

005.thumb.JPG.96eaf1ae4960ce10805dcb48b81dba3a.JPG

• Like 2