Working on the 60 Electra

Pictures, you want pictures ?    Lets see what I can do.

The first  is the under dash unit being installed with the cover that is being made.

The next one is the bulkhead connector with both the heater hoses (regular hose clamps) and AC Lines.

The AC Lines have the EZ Clip connectors on them.

The last picture is all done, the is all the passenger will see.

IMG_3341.jpeg

IMG_3424.jpeg

IMG_3436.jpeg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Bill Stoneberg said:

Pictures, you want pictures ?    Lets see what I can do.

The first  is the under dash unit being installed with the cover that is being made.

The next one is the bulkhead connector with both the heater hoses (regular hose clamps) and AC Lines.

The AC Lines have the EZ Clip connectors on them.

The last picture is all done, the is all the passenger will see.

IMG_3341.jpeg

IMG_3424.jpeg

IMG_3436.jpeg

Wow, I did not realize how large that unit is! The cover is a good idea.

• 2 weeks later...

One of the problems we have found is that damn center vent.  To begin with it takes 90 % of the air and blows it right at the seat back.  You cant point it on the driver or passenger.

Yes, you have the vents by the doors but with the center vent blowing, they dont do so good. PLUS the center vent has a huge attachment that a piece of ductwork wont fit onto. Check out the ductwork on this picture.

IMG_3344.jpeg

• Like 1

I think the entire AC system will be so efficient that the blowing of cool air on the driver and passenger will not be necessary. The entire cabin will be chilly. I guess it's personal preference having the cooled air blowing directly at ones self or not.  My wife prefers indirect cooling. Looking at the fabrication and installation of the unit in your Buick I think you will be very pleased with the performance. 😃

"Restrictor plate" can be a piece of darker-colored duct tape on the vent where the duct attaches at the rear of it.  Might reduce the entry by 40% with a piece on each side of the vent back there, with pieces on the sides rather than in the middle.

Certainly, the heat load will be from the large glass area and the large roof panel itself.  Those earlier cars were not insulated very well against heat and cold as they seemed to be, by observation.

Glad to see the progress!

NTX5467

1 hour ago, avgwarhawk said:

I think the entire AC system will be so efficient that the blowing of cool air on the driver and passenger will not be necessary. The entire cabin will be chilly. I guess it's personal preference having the cooled air blowing directly at ones self or not.  My wife prefers indirect cooling. Looking at the fabrication and installation of the unit in your Buick I think you will be very pleased with the performance. 😃

My wife does also, matter of fact she takes a blanket along in all our cars.  Me, blow me over with AC. especially on days like yesterday when it was 107 at my house.

Chris, I hope I am happy and cool. Lots of glass in that car. I have the glass tinted to help. I should pull the headliner and insulate the roof.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bill Stoneberg said:

My wife does also, matter of fact she takes a blanket along in all our cars.  Me, blow me over with AC. especially on days like yesterday when it was 107 at my house.

Chris, I hope I am happy and cool. Lots of glass in that car. I have the glass tinted to help. I should pull the headliner and insulate the roof.  

The roof is probably insulated.  My 54 has insulation or some sort of yellow fiber glued up there.  

5 hours ago, Bill Stoneberg said:

One of the problems we have found is that damn center vent.  To begin with it takes 90 % of the air and blows it right at the seat back.  You cant point it on the driver or passenger.

Yes, you have the vents by the doors but with the center vent blowing, they dont do so good. PLUS the center vent has a huge attachment that a piece of ductwork wont fit onto. Check out the ductwork on this picture.

IMG_3344.jpeg

Had the same problem on my 63 Riv although it cooled pretty good. Could you replace the guts with an adjustable section from a VA vent?

• 1 month later...