Working on the 60 Electra

Master cylinder came from a 71 Riviera.  Its a disk / drum combo and it took a bit of modification.

You have to cut the rod to fit and then round it off. After that it worked fine

Also put a vacuum test on the booster.  Held with no issues.

CF430F5D-1B27-4948-B683-B1137394CB3D.jpeg.df79f2c33663a2306e42f5ce4e2d9f8d.jpeg

E3EF376B-588A-4507-8DA6-AAA0C96C66E0.jpeg

Edited by Bill Stoneberg (see edit history)
  • Like 2

After the fun of putting on brakes and suspension it was back to the mundane chores that needed to be done.

Yesterday was a day of putting seam sealer on all the new and some old seams in the cabin and firewall.  Lots of new metal work 

for the AC and the floor that had to be sealed up. Not exciting but necessary.

A3469CF3-1837-467F-917B-97A5C7C14504.jpeg

3485E9B5-836B-487E-95A7-0EDF533E7B3C.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

More sanding, painting and getting things pretty.  All the seam sealer that was put on had to be sanded, primed and painted. Plus when the door sills were removed rust was found. Took rust stopper paint and encapsulated the rust. Once it cures we will get it primed and painted.

We couldn’t leave the rebuilt Dynaflow all ugly, so it got a coating of ceramic cast coat that made it look new. Same with the new master cylinder so it won’t look like crap after a few years.

Pictures 

057C7F61-FA7B-41D3-A92B-B97EF9BAFE2E.jpeg.e24ba470c1d8e0a08bac780c64885b94.jpeg

D6E3FC90-1C24-46E2-9B26-DB9402403CA3.jpeg

A92DDEB9-1C11-492D-A781-8BEC8155A1B7.jpeg

• Like 3

More blasting and painting. Transmission is in place on a jack while we wait for the paint to dry.  The back end is all hooked up, just waiting on the cross member to dry.

Rob got a new blasters he wanted see how it did on Aluminum.  Looks like it did pretty well.

8D26AD30-BD6B-4361-A4ED-B22091AC15EE.jpeg

8D4950DE-A971-442C-89AE-AEEDFB7067CF.jpeg

Rob got a new blasters he wanted see how it did on Aluminum.  Looks like it did pretty well.

55116994-2647-4824-99D0-02EC8C6E5950.jpeg

00F3DE9E-799A-4148-B332-F2511C219909.jpeg

• Like 5

Parts came in yesterday. We have been waiting for new shocks to finish the front end.

Considering we are doing a 2 " drop all around, we ordered shocks to fit on all 4 corners.

Viking Shocks make an infinitely adjustable shock made especially for the 2" drop in the back but nothing for the front which will run stock springs and shocks.

After talking to one of their sales engineers and doing some measuring, they had a shock that fit for the front.

Here is old versus new. You can see the adjust knobs for both compression and rebound. Nice thing is that this fits just like the old one.

IMG_4822.jpeg

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Bill Stoneberg said:

Parts came in yesterday. We have been waiting for new shocks to finish the front end.

Considering we are doing a 2 " drop all around, we ordered shocks to fit on all 4 corners.

Viking Shocks make an infinitely adjustable shock made especially for the 2" drop in the back but nothing for the front which will run stock springs and shocks.

After talking to one of their sales engineers and doing some measuring, they had a shock that fit for the front.

Here is old versus new. You can see the adjust knobs for both compression and rebound. Nice thing is that this fits just like the old one.

IMG_4822.jpeg

Will those adjusters be accessible after installation? 

• 4 weeks later...

Its been a few weeks since we did much on this car.  Between a new job for Rob and me getting shingles, we have been slowed down.  

BTW, if you have not gotten a shingles shot and are old and had Chicken Pox when you were young, you probably get the vaccine. I know vaccine is a contentius term at the moment, but you dont want Shingles. 

But anyway, I got to Rob's this past weekend and we were able to get some things done.

Main object was to see what we needed to do to get the shocks in.  After cutting a notch in the lower control arm where the shock goes (because of the adjustment knobs) we discovered that the bar you bolt the shock to the control arm was not quite long enough.  Tomorrow I will talk to Viking and see if they have a longer one, or if we are going to have to do some work.

Rob got a new blasting cabinet that I put to use on a variety of parts. Throttle linkage, covers, and other items.  I am glad I was able to sit and blast.

This is the chunk we had to cut from the shock pocket. This was so we could push the spring up through the control arm.

IMG_4829.jpeg

These are the bars we had a choice of, both too short by maybe 1/4 ".

T-BAR.jpg

Then we found this radiator overflow tank while looking at the Summit catalog.

And getting ready for some pipe bending and flairing.....

And finally, we were removing the wipers to pain the cowl. Some PO had decided it needed to be glued on the shaft.  It too a special tool from Amazon to get the damn thing off.

Normally they are held on with a spring clamp not glue or RTV.

The tool is the final picture. It provided enough push that we were able to break the glue and wiggle it off.

IMG_4838.jpeg

IMG_4841.jpeg

IMG_0696.jpeg

D901070C-427D-4C2F-A254-60810E106A90.jpeg

• Like 3

On 9/3/2021 at 9:05 PM, NTX5467 said:

Curious what the "base adjustment" might be on jounce and rebound?  Plus the range of adjustment between "full soft" and "full hard"?  

Willis,  following instructions that came with the shock, we set the compression to 2 (out of 19) and rebound to 6 (out of 19). This was for a soft street ride.  I hope so......

• Like 1

Glad to hear you are feeling better Bill and congrats to Rob on the new job.  Good to see you are back on the Electra.  That glue on the wiper arm is crazy!  It is scary what some consider a "fix".  I wonder what else is glued on such as radio knobs or other system controls. 

1 hour ago, Bill Stoneberg said:

Has anyone used Lizard Skin on their cars ?

Yes, on my 51 Ford truck.  All of interior and outer firewall.  Good product:  noise (stopped the "booming" of that primitive vehicle); good insulation from heat through the floor (only has rubber mat) and firewall; durable after 6 years looks good and wears good.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, avgwarhawk said:

What the heck is lizard skin? 

Its a sound and heat deadining material that you can spray on.  Easier then Dynamat.  Kinda looks like a bed liner in a truck.

We are thinking about putting in on the floors, firewall and other interior surfaces before putting the carpeting in. 

https://lizardskin.com

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Bill Stoneberg said:

Its a sound and heat deadining material that you can spray on.  Easier then Dynamat.  Kinda looks like a bed liner in a truck.

We are thinking about putting in on the floors, firewall and other interior surfaces before putting the carpeting in. 

Look easier then cutting each piece of material.  Understand that the weight of this material once applied will slow acceleration by .0001 of a second.  But, it will do it quietly.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, avgwarhawk said:

Look easier then cutting each piece of material.  Understand that the weight of this material once applied will slow acceleration by .0001 of a second.  But, it will do it quietly.

We have a big thumping cam and a blower to take care of the lack of acceleration..😂

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, Bill Stoneberg said:

Was your car noisy inside before or is heat insulation the main issue? My 60 seems very quiet inside the few times I have driven it with the windows closed...

Another Saturday spent in Austin.  Thats about 2 hours away from me. My joy is beating the time that GPS tells me it takes to get there AND not getting a ticket.

Anyway, we spent the day on the front suspension again. We got new Tbars for the Viking shocks that were the correct length and mounted the shocks. 

Once again, we replaced the wheel studs on the rotors so now the wheels and tires go on.  We finished connecting the drag link and took a SWAG at the toe in / toe out specs.

As I was leaving to head home Rob was under the car tearing out the Brake lines for replacements.  Who ever worked on them before, their only wrench had to be a pair of Vice Grips.

.IMG_4855.jpeg.de0818e11c5e8cf34bc1b3968685d167.jpeg

IMG_4850.jpeg.479916c16cb3527d4e2f9491a55dfae1.jpeg

IMG_4849.jpeg

• Like 2

Hankook has some new Kinergy radials in 15" sizes that can come with a whitewall installed.  Might need to download their master catalog to get the part numbers, though.  TireRack has carried them, in whitewall, at a decent price.

Take care,

NTX5467

IMG_4849.jpeg.5e2af7ec6004844124d35107d9

I like that alignment fixture!  It looks like it registers on the rim, correct?  Is that home-made, or was it bought somewhere?  I made a very cheezy home-made approximation of that, but I'd like to have one like this in my toolbox.  ;)

Edited by EmTee
typo (see edit history)

21 hours ago, Bill Stoneberg said:

Another Saturday spent in Austin.  Thats about 2 hours away from me. My joy is beating the time that GPS tells me it takes to get there AND not getting a ticket.

Anyway, we spent the day on the front suspension again. We got new Tbars for the Viking shocks that were the correct length and mounted the shocks. 

Once again, we replaced the wheel studs on the rotors so now the wheels and tires go on.  We finished connecting the drag link and took a SWAG at the toe in / toe out specs.

As I was leaving to head home Rob was under the car tearing out the Brake lines for replacements.  Who ever worked on them before, their only wrench had to be a pair of Vice Grips.

.IMG_4855.jpeg.de0818e11c5e8cf34bc1b3968685d167.jpeg

IMG_4850.jpeg.479916c16cb3527d4e2f9491a55dfae1.jpeg

IMG_4849.jpeg

Tell me about this alignment tool.  I use 4 jack stands and string from the rear axle to the front axles.  Keeps the rear tracking with the front.   Measuring tape from 9 and 3 o'clock position on the rim.  It works quite well.  However, your apparatus looks much better than my rig.   

The alignment system is the Quick Trip Alignment system. https://quicktrickalignment.com

it does register on the rim.

it works well and you can get wheel pads so you can do toe in/out and caster camber adjustment too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Got news from Rob,  Gas tank has been pulled and it is nasty.

The sender is not something I want to use. No sock and who knows what else.

This explains how I would get trash in my carb.

Somebody used RTV, not all the bolts, to hold the sender to the top of the tank.

I wondered why I smelled gas somedays.

Now, the inside of the tank isn’t rusty but the last gallon i got out had a lot of “sand” in it. Like literally sounds like sand when you slosh it too. The bottom picture what came out with one gallon. I’m going to take it and soak it w degreaser and power wash the inside at the Carwash. 

8AB99A47-8CE6-42A7-A675-CE576DEAC789.jpeg

CD2B3190-EA8C-4370-AC05-2C5CD1B210CF.jpeg

C5C29170-2BB0-4207-BF14-B6E342537F8D.jpeg

4E197091-543E-4E6B-9036-C3B82FC532EA.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

That fuel tank is a great argument for keeping our tank full during these times of limited activity or any time long term storage pops up.

For those with newer cars there is a good opportunity to set aside or replace hard to find fuel system parts through companies like Rock Auto. A couple of years ago I used them to replace my '86 Park Avenue fuel pump/sending unit, both factory DELCO formed tubing sections, and the two high pressure connecting hoses. I am good for another 30 years or more. Everything came in under $200.

They have a good selection of factory stuff that would have been scrapped in pre-computer days.

This thread seems to be a good place to note that.

• Like 1

I was lucky, with a little bit of modification to the filler neck, a 1963-64 Riviera gas tank is the same tank and its available with a new sender.

it is ordered and its on the way.  I have to say, Dee is getting sick of all these car parts arriving.  She has started to retaliate with clothes for her.

At least clothes dont weigh 75 pounds like a package I got yesterday.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

I have ordered a new tank (a 63 Riviera tank with modifications to the neck) and sender for the very reason we are putting new Holley in-tank pump in.  Help keeps the pump cooler and no vapor lock.

Rob has an external pump, and he wants one too. He has had issues in the summer with vapor lock with the Riviera.