Working on the 60 Electra

I actually had been looking at mid 60’s to 76 Fleetwoods because I like those big old cars. We went to look at a 67 black on black convertible but decided it would be too hot down here. The place had this one too.  Best part is that my wife likes the car. It’s every bit as long as my Electra is though judging on how it fits in the garage.

• 2 weeks later...

Fabrication is done on the inner fender. Now on to mechanical work.

The red arrows on the 2nd picture are factory spotwelds, creases etc.

In the meantime I put a new radio in the Cadillac. Looks almost factory but has Bluetooth and Sirius included. I have an AC vent coming which will go where it belongs.

5B1BD8A5-4CEB-493A-B427-6EA1871C7718.jpeg

2E476B9E-ED39-4A39-9D28-617F10F9911F.jpeg

82815D4D-8C2C-490A-BF61-4DB78DAD03F7.jpeg

• Like 2

After a week of being sick and then cleaning shop, back to work on the Electra.  We found major leaks in the transmission as the car sat on a sloped driveway while cleaning the frame. It leaked more tranny fluid the the Exxon Valdez.

Today the transmission came out. Easier with the engine out but still a pain. A bigger pain was getting the transmission jack that was hidden behind 2 other engines in storage. See the red arrows on the last picture.

7D2433D3-6698-4A20-B2CE-950E652DA029.jpeg

41BC15ED-3B1C-400A-8195-4B0FC385DC13.jpeg

8D9D04E4-9E6C-4538-8BD0-C95A3D9713F8.jpeg

• Like 1

My Dynaflow has been doing well for the past 20 years but it is beginning to leak up front pretty good. I guess that is next on my list. Just to keep from being a straight forward job I am thinking about making a torque tube jacking fixture. I have already rolled the rearend out from under it once, easy job. Complicating it a special tool sounds more sporting.

That and the upholstery job this year. Let's see how much I can underestimate those obs.

Good news is no major issues in the trans. It was rebuilt already for certain. Has Raybestos clutches in it which are good ones and they are still like new so I’m leaving them as is. Both bands are like new and all the bearings and planetary gears are in mint condition. No heating, bluing or scoring anyplace. 

We do have scoring on one drum that looks like it was done before the prior rebuild. Investigating on what to do about that.  

Rubbing on the drum support is what is giving us the brass in the pan. Again investigating what we can do.

Sccored Drum

7F1594C1-71FF-4918-BCE2-76E8E8A396EA.thumb.jpeg.c4e062768f9533e8571356f8878c80ec.jpeg

Clutch Pack

59902ED0-1F4E-47BC-B341-EA1420DABB08.thumb.jpeg.857765930b69d09b8bdfefcbf86d456b.jpegI

• Like 2

9 hours ago, avgwarhawk said:

Out of curiosity, the twisted vane, how would it get like this? 

From Rob:

The vane in the stator? It had to be that way for years so no telling. Perhaps the last builder missed or the linkage portion just broke from fatigue.  Until those clutch head sockets arrive (amazon today but with all the ice who knows) I haven’t been able to break it apart to do forensics on it yet. 
There is no impact damage on it so my bet is on fatigue from years of cycling open and closed.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Bill Stoneberg said:

From Rob:

The vane in the stator? It had to be that way for years so no telling. Perhaps the last builder missed or the linkage portion just broke from fatigue.  Until those clutch head sockets arrive (amazon today but with all the ice who knows) I haven’t been able to break it apart to do forensics on it yet. 
There is no impact damage on it so my bet is on fatigue from years of cycling open and closed.

Have to admit it's a interesting piece of engineering.

52 minutes ago, Bill Stoneberg said:

A problem we have been having is moving that heavy Dynaflow up to the bench to work on it. 
While it has been cold and nasty outside, Rob has been looking for something to help move the Dynaflow. He thinks he found the solution....

51267415-32B7-4F8A-ACA1-0330B8BCF6D2.jpeg

Yep. That'll do it!

• Like 1