Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

Further observation, look at the size and proportion of the brass headlamp that is next to the chauffeur(?) at the front of the car. It is things like this that mean so much to see period photographs. You can compare the size of the cars features and equipment to the people, architecture, and in this case the wall in the back ground. It gives great perspective in many ways.

Edited by Walt G (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Father Jules Gavois has his 1891 Panhard-Levassor refueled. I hope someone can date the photo from the gas pump. I don't think it is early as 1921 when the story in this link occurred.

Abbé Jules Gavois takes a lap of honour on the Champs-Élysées in the oldest car in the world Antoinette – an 1891 Panhard-Levassor in Paris – June 14, 1921 – Snippet of History (wordpress.com)

Peut être une image de 3 personnes, personnes debout et plein air

There was an 1891 Panhard here in NZ for some time but I think it has since been sold overseas. It was at the time the seventh oldest known running car. I think it may have been a smaller model than Father Jules' one - it was a very compact car. I did see the owner start it up at an event. Took quite some time to get the 'hot tubes' hot enough for it to fire up. My photo from about 1990 - 

veterans 1 - Copy resize.JPG

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, nzcarnerd said:

Father Jules Gavois has his 1891 Panhard Levassor refueled. I hope someone can date the photo from the gas pump. I don't think it is early as 1921 when the story in this link occurred.

Abbé Jules Gavois takes a lap of honour on the Champs-Élysées in the oldest car in the world Antoinette – an 1891 Panhard-Levassor in Paris – June 14, 1921 – Snippet of History (wordpress.com)

Peut être une image de 3 personnes, personnes debout et plein air

There was an 1891 Panhard here in NZ for some time but I think it has since been sold overseas. It was at the time the seventh oldest known running car. I think it may have been a smaller model than Father Jules' one - it was a very compact car. I did see the owner start it up at an event. Took quite some time to get the 'hot tubes' hot enough for it to fire up. My photo from about 1990 - 

veterans 1 - Copy resize.JPG

That pump looks like a Gilbert and Barker T8   with the accessory Globe on it.  They were manufactured between 1912 and 1914.                 John

• Like 1

12 hours ago, nzcarnerd said:

Another one in the National Museum in Reno.  https://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/forum/your-studebaker-forum/stove-huggers-the-non-studebaker-forum/57643-ophan-of-the-day-11-12-1892-panhard-levassor

Craig

Edited by 8E45E (see edit history)

On 12/2/2022 at 1:22 AM, nzcarnerd said:

Father Jules Gavois has his 1891 Panhard-Levassor refueled. I hope someone can date the photo from the gas pump. I don't think it is early as 1921 when the story in this link occurred.

Another photo from the 14th of June event 1921 from Austrian Allgemeine-Automobile Zeitung; a brand new Panhard-Levassor to the left and to the right an early Bugatti! 

1891 Panhard-Levassor.jpg

Abbot Jules Gavois drove his 1891 P&L car to Paris on the 14th of June 1921. The 150km trip from Rainneville (Somme) took 12 hours. The car was then put on display for the next six months at the Panhard et Levassor showroom at 24 Avenue des Champs Elysee. A bid-by-mail auction was held to raise money to help out those in the war-ravaged Somme. This was a well known car and the auction was advertised in both the English and French press, with bidding closing on Christmas Day 1921.

The car had won the gold medal at the Concours de l'Ancetre in Paris 10 years earlier.

In 1921 the car was 30 years old and the Abbot was 60 years old, i.e. he had owned the car for roughly half his life at that point in time.

[Champs-Élysées]_l'abbé_Gavois_graisse_son_[...]Agence_Rol_btv1b53067839s_1.jpeg

[Champs-Élysées_l'abbé_Gavois_dans_son_[...]Agence_Rol_btv1b53067838b_1.jpeg

[Champs-Élysées_l'abbé_Gavois_dans_son_[...]Agence_Rol_btv1b53067837w_1.jpeg

[Paris_célébration_des_trente_ans_[...]Agence_Rol_btv1b53067836f_1.jpeg

Omnia___revue_pratique_de_[...]_bpt6k9805923d_374.jpeg

Ouest.jpg

Excelsior___journal_illustré_quotidien_[...]_bpt6k4603667d_1.jpeg

Pix.jpg

Edited by Scooby Doo (see edit history)
  • Like 4

Holt tractor with a Sargent plow  - Maine 1925. Note the dealer plate. At that time there was debate on whether municipalities or the state should plow the rural roads. First consideration was the cost the second was the impact on horse drawn sleds which were still quite prevalent in a largely agricultural based state. Funded and backed by a group of automobile and equipment dealers, over the course of a couple of years a number of high profile demonstrations touting the benefits of keeping the roads open and plowed were put on which effectively raised public awareness of the benefits and demonstrated the feasibility to municipal leaders.

Holt_tractor_1925.jpg.b26bbaf9d46905ecfedd75da137cef96.jpg

Edited by Terry Harper (see edit history)
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, MetroPetro said:

D8B07FE6-2B15-4E3C-9F1C-BF376A3F41C7.jpeg

An Austin Seven special, photo taken in New Zealand 1930-31. No clues to the location as the same plates were used nationwide, though it is sometimes possible from researching photos to pick which numbers were issued in which areas.

image.jpeg

• Like 1

On 11/27/2022 at 7:44 PM, edinmass said:

Although my Grandparents thought he walked on water, I must admit I wasn’t too big a fan. He would have this on him in both photos…..to cover his leg braces. I have close up of it on him at his inauguration, along with a bunch of other stuff.

The robe was made in Philadelphia. 

7D9341CB-9929-435B-911E-4458F184E38E.png

Find Jane Hess the daughter of Frank Hess and have a very long conversation