Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

Ed I will venture a guess that is a Wills Saint Claire roadster with the little gal at the wheel. WOW what a neat neat car and a great photograph

I am not a huge enthusiast of roadsters or two door open cars but this one is just so spectacular

Walt

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Walt G said:

Ed I will venture a guess that is a Wills Saint Claire roadster with the little gal at the wheel. WOW what a neat neat car and a great photograph

I am not a huge enthusiast of roadsters or two door open cars but this one is just so spectacular

Walt

Definitely a Wills Saint Claire. A guy I knew had a white Wills roadster.

6 hours ago, 30DodgePanel said:

Has anyone ever come across one of the Packard bags in the photo?

d5cb37ea1fcd0fab97edff3ef84e12d9--trucks.jpg

Maybe there's still a bag or two left in the building in the background!  But you better hurry!!  Its supposedly in the process of being demolished!!

Craig

2 hours ago, twin6 said:

A fine Stevens Duryea touring car in an unknown location that might be the toll road on Mt. Washington.  License plate A161A might be a dealer plate, not sure, but a nice palindrome.

Stevens.jpg

According to this, the A did indicate dealer. The dealer and his family on an outing possibly? Would be interesting to research the Stevens Duryea dealers in the area during that time frame to see if one could verify. 
Very interesting photo.

ARCHIVE: New Hampshire Porcelain License Plates (porcelainplates.net)

image.png.9795493e99dbcb04360948c79ffdd18c.png

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

Ed’s Friday night ass kicker…….

Year

Make

Model

Coach Builder

Body Style

It isn’t easy! This is the entire photo, nothing has been held back. Good luck, your gonna need it.

BF135498-AB65-42D7-8821-5979F16F2AED.png

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, edinmass said:

Year

Make

Model

Coach Builder

Body Style

It isn’t easy! This is the entire photo, nothing has been held back. Good luck, your gonna need it.

Le Baron body?

10 hours ago, edinmass said:

Year

Make

Model

Coach Builder

Body Style

Year: 1928 

Make: Stutz

Model: Series BB

Coachbuilder: Locke

Body Style: Convertible Victoria, 6-passenger

Attractive style, though something of a novelty to still include a rumble seat with the interior passenger seating of the convertible victoria.  New York Custom Salon exhibit.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, edinmass said:

Another era……where craftsmanship was a religion………..

7FD4EE0B-A3F5-4BF2-A378-A53755817D49.png

Hi Ed,

Always thought this type of coach work was the last bastion of Victorian time. Hope they did something about the open rear spring showing. Nice clear image.D535EA61-3A4B-4AC1-97D0-6776CDBBE7E7.jpeg.e499f76e715c226b009b5896e30457cb.jpeg6643E5D1-18E8-43EA-8A77-11BAF696917E.jpeg.80f83ae782dd69bf08bc89a168161cfe.jpeg

• Like 1

Neat , Great period photos continue to appear here, THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart for all of you who contribute and view and comment. Can old photos put one in a Christmas/holiday spirit ? - well for me they do. They bring great joy and wonder , to think for how many decades all of this was buried in files, boxes, envelopes etc. And now is presented here courtesy of AACA our host. ( think of AACA every time you look here and find joy and say to yourself  'geez look at that' ) We can all view my favorite era for motor vehicles. My sincere thanks to all of you .

Walt

Edited by Walt G (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, 58L-Y8 said:

Year: 1928 

Make: Stutz

Model: Series BB

Coachbuilder: Locke

Body Style: Convertible Victoria, 6-passenger

Attractive style, though something of a novelty to still include a rumble seat with the interior passenger seating of the convertible victoria.  New York Custom Salon exhibit.

1 hour ago, edinmass said:

Close……..it’s advertised as an 8 passenger coupe. Using Google image search……..if you used it, is not fair play. 

No, not Goggle, The Splendid Stutz, edited by Raymond A. Katzell, page 253.   I've both been fascinated by the late 1920's coach built convertible victoria configuration before it became most associated with Dietrich, Rollston and Brunn; and frustrated no full images of the car seem to exist.  Advertised as "an 8-passenger coupe"; well, folks were considerably less broad of beam then...

• Like 3

If the level of the trunk was expanded up about 6 inches or so the whole profile and appearance of the car would change and be more balanced to view and flow so much better.

Scale and proportion come into play visually in every aspect all the time with cars . If you hold your hand over the portion of the photo just aft of the body to block the low profile trunk the car totally changes appearance and is decent looking. To much space between the back of the body and trunk as well.

I am currently working on a story of car styling  and the transition of the level of height, angles etc. pre WWII era . I will use all period images, both photographs and catalog illustrations.

Edited by Walt G (see edit history)
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Walt G said:

If the level of the trunk was expanded up about 6 inches or so the whole profile and appearance of the car would change and be more balanced to view and flow so much better.

Scale and proportion come into play visually in every aspect all the time with cars . If you hold your hand over the portion of the photo just aft of the body to block the low profile trunk the car totally changes appearance and is decent looking. To much space between the back of the body and trunk as well.

I am currently working on a story of car styling  and the transition of the level of height, angles etc. pre WWII era . I will use all period images, both photographs and catalog illustrations.

I think in the case of the (Lincoln-based??) coupe above (Berlin plate (IA 15000), it had to be that low in order for the top to fold down onto it. Also, maybe in order that the women can lift out the fitted trunks - 😉😀