Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

4 minutes ago, 58L-Y8 said:

Thanks A.J.  I thought LeBaron too, but couldn't match up other details with that coachbuilder in my references.   The headlights look too round and mounted to high to be the factory units, maybe Marchals?

The headlamps ( look to the left in the photo to see another one peeking out and the bumper is also Duesenberg) are Grebel, produced in France. You know them, as they are some what flattened circles. They came in several sizes and produced spot lamps as well. Someplace here I have a sales catalog on them if I can find it I will post. The Grebel lamps were available in NY City through the accessories dealer Nil Melior.

WG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, edinmass said:

Things & Stuff........

lebaronhudson.jpg

Good Looking Hudson - no offense to Hudson owners, but my Mom says I cannot ever have one as that is not what the cool kids drove (she drove a 1947 Cadillac Fastback) - apparently it was some sort of dating criteria (Dad drove an Austin Healey 100-6).

Sidenote:  Mom is also anti - Nash, Rambler, Studebaker, Kaiser, Willys, and .... 

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, John_Mereness said:

Sidenote:  Mom is also anti - Nash, Rambler, Studebaker, Kaiser, Willys, and .... 

Seems she has pretty good taste.......but they did make a few nice Studebakers.

• Like 2

In Sweden the Oldsmobile Curved Dash was the most popular private car in the early days of motoring.

Prince Eugen (1865-1947) in his car at Djurgården, Stockholm https://www.waldemarsudde.se/in-english/prince-eugen/

I think the man in the second photo worked for the Swedish Olds  Importer Gjestvagns and latter founded his own Company, importing one of the more popular American automobiles

IMG_2949.JPG

IMG_2948.JPG

Edited by Casper Friederich (see edit history)

2 hours ago, Bob Jacobsen said:

1934 Brunn Pierce Towncar in Brunn frame - can you spot the reversal?981254224_IMG_24483.thumb.JPG.22db216775f0bb0712cbd85a679b00eb.JPG

So your the one who ended up with this photo...........I wondered where it went to.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 30DodgePanel said:

Cantrell body works factory.jpg

J. T. Cantrell and Company, Builder of suburban bodies located in Huntington, Long Island, NY. In pre war days for the most part suburban was the name for a station wagon ( which meant you took the car with this body style  to the train station to drop off people or pick them up along with their luggage) . The "station" name in station wagon referred to the "train " station. This is the Cantrell plant ( later burned down at least once) just south of the long island rail road tracks and west of New York Avenue ( state route 110) . The Chevrolet chassis you see here started life as 2 door sedans and business coupes, mostly the latter which were made in the G.M. plant in Tarrytown, NY on the Hudson river about 100 miles away. These cars were shipped by rail to Cantrell and then the coupe bodies removed just aft of the front door post so that Cantrell could have a cowl/windshield and built their body on it. I did a history of the Cantrell Company for Hemmings Classic Car magazine within the past year or so that showed further pictures of the Cantrell brothers and their operation. Post WWII Cantrell mostly built station wagon bodies on Chevy , Studebaker and GMC truck chassis.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Walt, That was a great article you wrote on J.T. Cantrell and Company, should be required reading for all who are interested in early station wagon body companies.   By the way, was there any documentation how they disposed of all the cut-away two door coach and coupe body sections?   One supposes Cantrell were the primary go-to source for Metro NYC body repair shops when they had need of such for a Chevy that had been rear-end.

6 minutes ago, 58L-Y8 said:

Walt, That was a great article you wrote on J.T. Cantrell and Company, should be required reading for all who are interested in early station wagon body companies.   By the way, was there any documentation how they disposed of all the cut-away two door coach and coupe body sections?   One supposes Cantrell were the primary go-to source for Metro NYC body repair shops when they had need of such for a Chevy that had been rear-end.

J.T. Cantrell, J.T. Cantrell & Brother, Suburban, Woody, Woodie ...

1934 Pierce Arrow 836A Cantrell Woodie... - The Blarg Motor ...

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, 58L-Y8 said:

A field of dreams...

Mayfield Car Co. - Classics dealer.jpg

The sign says "Mayfield Car Company," and a quick Google search yielded this:  "The Mayfield Car Co. was on Hollywood Way and Riverside Drive in Burbank, and it specialized in classics and oddballs, ca. 1950."  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, 58L-Y8 said:

A field of dreams...

Mayfield Car Co. - Classics dealer.jpg

WOW !!

Kurtis

Lincoln convertible sedan

Davis 3-wheeler

Franklin

Chrysler

Packards

Where are they now?