Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

2 hours ago, Colin Spong said:

1939 AEC (Associated Equipment Company) RT class bus for London Transport. Photo shows RT1 prototype in July1939.

This class of bus was still in use in London until 1979 . 

RT1 001 (2).jpg

We had the same buses in Southampton , I went to school on them , you could run and jump on  or off as the rear platform was open , much to the conductors annoyance 😊

• Like 2

As far as I know the bodies Cantrell removed were sold for scrap. I have a photo of a field full of bodies they removed that was used in the article I wrote. I was in contact with former Cantrell employees in the very early 1970s when they were in their 70s-80s, plus one fellow whose Dad worked at Cantrell and made all their iron hardware. Cantrell made bodies in semi quantity for Packard and  Dodge, and less so for Hudson , Terraplane, Buick, Willys. Franklin and at least one Cadillac in the 1929-30 era. Cantrell would do individual cars with special requirements - ie compartments for hunting etc . I am not aware of any Cantrell work specifically done on damaged cars in rear end collisions that had their bodies replaced with a new body by Cantrell. As far as I am aware Cantrell only used new vehicles , which the chassis sent directly from the car manufacturer or a local dealer bringing them a new car and instructing them to remove the body on that chassis and then build a wagon.  Although Cantrell didn't build many bodies on Franklin chassis , they had easy access to that chassis as there was a major Franklin dealer who had a showroom a mile south of the Cantrell company . The fellow who owned the Franklin agency lived in the same town - Huntington, NY .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 30DodgePanel said:

A couple of good ones on this lot...

Classic Car Lot.jpg

This is a great photo, but it equally is like one or two people in LA went to the lot on the very same day to photograph in it  - they probably had unique cars for a while and I have to believe people commonly photographed there - aka it would be cool to see more photos.  The Pebble Beach Best of Show winning Dupont Waterhouse Town Car is just to the right of the office. 

13 hours ago, edinmass said:

Seems she has pretty good taste.......but they did make a few nice Studebakers.

Mom's whole family liked cars - I need to develop the negatives - Grandpa and Grandma were die hard Buick people - their first two notable were a 1934-1935 Brewster Sedan in gold and then a 39 90 Series Business Coupe - both bought used from same GM executive (though often a truck from the Construction Company and also Grandma drove for a good long while a Jaguar MK IV sedan that belonged to Mom's Cousin),  my Great Grandparents were just a truck from the Construction Company, her Aunt drove a 1936 Packard Twelve Coupe-Roadster in a blue-Tourquise with chrome hubs and spokes - it was a big deal for her (her Cousin bought it back in the 70's and it survived unrestored until a next owner was painted fire engine red in the 1990's - below are a few photos) and then went through a number of Hess & Eisenhardt Custom built Cadillac 4 door- Convertibles through the late 50's & 60's, her Uncle drove new Cadillac's - met his death in one at an over 100 mph accident, her Cousin found her the 47 Cadillac and he was a motorcycle guy and customized Ford guy who for his earlier wife's always bought a new Lincoln in black or white, plus started his car collecting with a 1917 Milburn Electric (he is where the 1932 RR PI  came from).

Here is a photo of mom's Cousin's 1936 Packard Twelve Coupe-Roadster in our driveway - 1976.

Scan_Pic0004.thumb.jpg.70fcd9564bd7d42b0a7c659a02ebfd68.jpg

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/25/2020 at 2:06 PM, Lebowski said:

Can anyone identify these wrecks

Take no offense, though this page has been staying stay away from accident photos - while they are interesting and often near the only photos that exist of incredibly rare cars, it usually did not take much for someone to get seriously hurt or to die in an accident. 

• Thanks 1

I saw Ed mention laying on his back on a tarp in lot at Pebble Beach Concours doing last minute detaiong of undercarriage - the World has changed a lot regarding Pebble Beach and Cars - I thought this Cord photo was great (the car is perfect win Black with red trim, blackwalls, chrome wires, and ....), but it has a tiny surprise under hood (a purple surprise to be exact).

"This particular car stirred great interest and enthusiasm when shown at Del Monte [Pebble Beach] in 1957, and thereby was responsible for the renaissance of the marque," Dr. O'Brien recalled later. Not only did the car win its Class, it was also Runner-Up to a Rolls-Royce Phantom III for top honors at Pebble Beach that year. 

1931 Cord L-29  Chassis no. 2929245 Engine no. FD 4046

3 minutes ago, John_Mereness said:

I saw Ed mention laying on his back on a tarp in lot at Pebble Beach Concours doing last minute detaiong of undercarriage - the World has changed a lot regarding Pebble Beach and Cars - I thought this Cord photo was great (the car is perfect win Black with red trim, blackwalls, chrome wires, and ....), but it has a tiny surprise under hood (a purple surprise to be exact).

"This particular car stirred great interest and enthusiasm when shown at Del Monte [Pebble Beach] in 1957, and thereby was responsible for the renaissance of the marque," Dr. O'Brien recalled later. Not only did the car win its Class, it was also Runner-Up to a Rolls-Royce Phantom III for top honors at Pebble Beach that year. 

Did the wife have something to do with the purple engine?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, John_Mereness said:

Monterey's Festival, Rich in Tradition - The New York Times

This photo of J.B. and the Dupont at Pebble winning best of show ties right back to the Mayfield lot pictures from before.  That lot has many many great cars on it back in the 1950s.  Duesenbergs,  540k Mercedes, etc.   There are lots of pictures of it floating around of different cars that went through there.

JB Nethercutt was the guy in Southern California in the 1960s and 70s really supporting and promoting the Classic Car scene.   His museum is still a must see if you are in that area.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That 1934 Pierce Arrow Cantrell station wagon was owned by a friend in central NY state for decades - Terry Fitch. Now owned by a collector in Va. and NH. It is an unrestored car.

Question on the photo of the Hispano-Suiza touring with the Grebel headlamps, is the fellow by the open door , the owner and is that Jules Huemann?   If so he

paid me a visit here at my home on long island about 35 or more years ago and copied some of the Hispano Suiza period photographs I had .  Nice fellow, J loved  H-S cars

and that is good , good to be in love with obscure cars  with cars with running boards.

Thanks to all who continue to support the thread with new/old period photographs, and to all who comment and view them as well. I think it makes us all very happy.

Walt

• Thanks 1