Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

It’s probably post war, as the tires on the ground look new. Those would not have been available for the car from 1940 to 1946. I think the Greyhound adds a touch of class...........🥸

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)

On 5/10/2021 at 1:52 AM, alsancle said:

BuickCoupe.jpg

1931 Buick Series 60 on the 118" wheelbase I think. The 8 radiator cap distinguishes it from a 1930 model.

Since I have become the owner of a car with a golf bag door I been noticing the shapes and method of opening of various cars with them. There is quite a variety.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, plymouthcranbrook said:

Jennison.jpg

Mrs Jennison storms up Bwich-y-Groes on her Brough Superior during the 1923 ACU Six Days Trial. Mr Jennison minding the route cards. Mrs Jennison liked her fast motorcycles, the family was all involved. 

She held a record of 70 mph on a 200cc Velocette in 1922. About the Brough, she said "It's not a beginner's motorcycle, the motor is a big lump of joy. If it doesn't break your neck it will break your heart."

Also, (and I know this audience might disagree about this statement on motorcycling in general), she said, "Even though you might be wet-through at the end of the day, there are feelings of well-being that just can't be duplicated by crocheting."

jenni.jpg

wall.jpg

bernarlimo.jpg

jolly.jpg

OK, I'll stop now.

Pic #3 - looks to be a Smiths Auto Wheel. The AT registration is Kingston-upon-Hull. From the look of the grumpy spectators the date is probably just pre WW1.

Pic #4 looks like a stretched Purvis Eureka.

Pic #5 - the bike was registered in the Reading, UK, area in 1952. Not much clue to the identity of the bike, but it competing in a trial, a very popular type of event in the UK.

• Thanks 1

On 5/4/2021 at 11:57 AM, twin6 said:

Schlitz.jpg

Great shot of a 1910 E-M-F sporting the Studebaker radiator badge.  They didn't splurge for the top or windshield, though.

I did a search for Hall & Walls Wholesale Liquor and found this from Anaheim, CA.  Looks like they got robbed.  I wonder if the E-M-F was the getaway car?

Title:

Hall and Walls Wholesale Liquor store, Anaheim [graphic]
Digital Anaheim

Description:

View of a shattered safe in the doorway of Hall and Walls Wholesale Liquor store, located at 133 West Center Street (now Lincoln Ave.), evidence of a burglary on December 18, 1910; view shows five men and one boy, all unidentified, standing on either side of the doorway and safe.

Date:

18 December 1910 (issued)

Contributing Institution:

Anaheim Public Library

hi-res.jpg

Edited by Ian Hayhurst (see edit history)

On 4/17/2021 at 11:17 AM, 30DodgePanel said:

Anyone from Canada know the story behind this team?

My search said Dawson City Canada (Yukon)

still_from_dawson_city_frozen_time_daaa_family_theater_courtesy_dawson_museum_hypontic_pictures_picture_palace_pictures.jpg

Not sure about the team, but that's a 1914 Overland 79T followed by a Model T.  The T's windshield appears to be the 1914 style, but the headlight looks to be all brass (1912) rather than black & brass.  I sure would love one of those license plates!.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, plymouthcranbrook said:

SHORPY-8b22005a.jpg?itok=GNxBmhFc

7F79 I think is an early Chrysler. No front wheel brakes, so likely a Maxwell carryover model, about 1924 0r '25. It does have the 'trademark' Chrysler beads on the top of the fenders. With a beat up 1939 license plate, the car would need to be almost fifteen years old when the picture was taken!

And underneath a car on a small base jack sitting on grass!? Scary.

Edited by wayne sheldon
I hate leaving typos! (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

This guy could be a poster child for things not to do. Not only is he under a car held up by a jack that I don't like using to fix a flat with that is also sinking in the ground, He's smoking. All these cars of this vintage had updraft carburetors that leaked. Oh well at least he has someone with him to tell everyone who he was!!

SHORPY-8b22005a.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hook said:

This guy could be a poster child for things not to do. Not only is he under a car held up by a jack that I don't like using to fix a flat with that is also sinking in the ground, He's smoking. All these cars of this vintage had updraft carburetors that leaked. Oh well at least he has someone with him to tell everyone who he was!!

SHORPY-8b22005a.jpg

Remember my dad doing the same and myself leaning under car to talk to him . He was also a smoker and should have known better as was a REME  8th army mechanic during WW11, suppose the chances of being killed at al Alamein retrieving damaged tanks was much more than smoking near petrol . I remember he told me American Sherman tanks were best , mind you they used to retrieve German tanks too fix and rebadge them .

Edited by Pilgrim65 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, twin6 said:

An Overland for Ian, welcome aboard!

Overland (2).jpg

Thanks Twin6!  But are you sure it's an Overland?  I see the script on the hood, but Overland always placed theirs on the top panel rather than the side.  I'm not too certain what it is, but I like it.

On 4/5/2021 at 6:47 AM, alsancle said:

VanVooren 500K Mercedes.   This car still exists but has not been seen in years.   I think it could be a Pebble Beach winners circle car.

Rollson did a few sun roof conversions on 812 Cords.   There was an unrestored one for sale at Hershey in the last 10 or 15 years.

Jim Davis owns one his dad bought in the 50s.   Have not heard from Jim in years but he was active on the Hamb.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, sunroofcord said:

We only know of two with Rollston installed sunroofs, my Custom Beverly and the Westchester sold at Hershey that went to Spain.

Dad bought the Custom Beverly in May of 1962. No idea who put the sunroof in the one pictured above.

Jim

This is the Westchester that was sold at Hershey and went to Spain. The pictures were taken at the 2005 ACD Reunion in Auburn, Indiana. Last I knew it was "For Sale" again but that was about 10 years ago.

SUNROOF 9.jpg

SUNROOF 10.jpg

SUNROOF 11.jpg

Edited by sunroofcord
Add Text (see edit history)
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, twin6 said:

That's why we need you, my mistake.  Hope this makes up for it.

Overland delivery.JPG

What an interesting machine.  LHD which says 1915 or later.  Several components look like leftovers from 1914 or even earlier.  I suppose that happened a lot with commercial vehicles.

2 hours ago, sunroofcord said:

This is the Westchester that was sold at Hershey and went to Spain. The pictures were taken at the 2005 ACD Reunion in Auburn, Indiana. Last I knew it was "For Sale" again but that was about 10 years ago.

SUNROOF 9.jpg

SUNROOF 10.jpg

SUNROOF 11.jpg

Nice to see you are back Jim.   I remember the Cord over by the Stadium at Hershey.  This was maybe 10 years ago?

• Like 2