Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

4 hours ago, edinmass said:

Gentlemen.........you should see the ones I can’t post! I haven’t been given any warning points yet.............🤔

At an event a few years ago had two very nice ladies well dressed said they would like to shoot a video with my car. Told them my wife will not let me rent it out. I do not think I would have been able to post any of the shots here also. 

Not all cars from the 30's were trailer queens. My Dad worked for a couple of years at the start of the depression in 1932 on the now world famous "Cabot Trail", a scenic route over the highest hills of Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia. Being 60 miles from home, they stayed in camps at the foot of the hills/mountain they were working on (highest was about 1000 feet), and lugged their gear, dynamite etc up every day. This is a photo of base camp with a couple of early coupes, maybe Fords, Chevs. Could be back at these "public make work projects" soon!

Cabot Trail 7.jpg

Cabot Trail 4.jpg

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

Image may contain: outdoorWere the trophies for racing or the show display? Bob 

I’m thinking the trophy’s are Salon or Auto Show yearly awards........best design, best color, best interior........along those lines. Definitely not the Dewar Cup or Thompson Trophy. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Joe in Canada said:

At an event a few years ago had two very nice ladies well dressed said they would like to shoot a video with my car. Told them my wife will not let me rent it out. I do not think I would have been able to post any of the shots here also. 

A young lady looking to build a portfolio for her photography business advertised on Kijiji for vintage cars to use. I answered her ad and we ended up having a great afternoon. She had a pretty mother and daughter for models. There were a few pictures I wasn't allowed to "observe" the shooting.

Payment was an afternoon with the photographer to shoot pictures of my wife and I (see avatar).

Sorry Walt G. Not quite period photo.

Renee and Stephanie pose with our Packard.jpg

Edited by J.H.Boland (see edit history)

Correction: I credited Hibbard & Darrin as the coach-builder of these two Duesenberg J's.  Then, had second thoughts, checked in Duesenberg, The Pursuit of Perfection by Fred Roe: Franay, the town car, page 137,  along with the other Franay town car, Car 2384, J 369 in the middle view of the three .  The convertible phaeton, Car 2465, J446, page 201.  Lesson: When it comes to crediting a coachbuilder: Always check one's memory against a reliable source.

Duesenberg exhibit - Paris auto show b - Franay.jpg

Seeing this photo really made my day.  The man with the derby hat and great looking accordion adds a touch of high class.  I have been playing accordion for 70 years and have had to endure good natured humor about the instrument.  Now I feel vindicated by this photo documentation and high class association with the stage prop Packard, relegated to the background.

How did that trombone get into the picture?

Packard six.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, John_Mereness said:

I believe this is Packard' first attempt at a Junior series car ?

You may be correct (unless the model 18 which came out two years after the model 30 is considered the first attempt).

5 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

58L-Y8, Thank you, that photo answers my question about the top on J446.

Bob 

It doesn't quite look the same as in those pictures.    Last I knew it was owned by a Hollywood producer who would lurk on here once in a while and rant and rave that anyone that didn't install seatbelts in his wooden framed prewar car was criminal.

COACHBUILD.com - Franay Duesenberg Model J Convertible Sedan 1931 ...

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ If that is the same car I like the updated fenders. The side windows just give me the wrong first reaction. Bob 

Reminds me of a '60's Dodge crew cab!!

Craig

• Haha 1