Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

Is this the car Shappy has in Rhode Island? Looks the same minus the cape top.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Walt G said:

I don't think it is a Daniels radiator and shell. if you look at the photo that was posted of the enclosed Daniels 2 door the top area of the radiator at the front has a flat edge close to the radiator core the one on the Beals car does not.

It looks like a Fiat radiator, although other Italian makes used a similar shape.

Zust was one. This one in the UK is one of very few survivors.

Zust_car,_front.jpg

• Like 1

21 hours ago, FLYER15015 said:

Just an idle question here, because I'm noticing all the 'flat fendered" brass era cars are right hand drive, and when you get into the '20's they are left hand drive.

So the question is, when did we change ? was it across the board all at once ? and who said to do so ?

Keeping this short (ME?) to avoid much drift.

Which side the driver sits has a long and convoluted history. Basically, in most places, there never was a hard and fast rule. Our American "drive on the right side" of the road was in part a protest to Briton's driving on the left going back to horse and buggy days about 1800. When automobiles were just beginning, roads were narrow, and often had drainage ditches alongside. Most manufacturers figured a driver needed to be on the outer side (right hand driven) in order to closely watch the right wheels and not slip into the ditch, especially when alongside a car going the other direction. As cars became more plentiful, they later decided a driver should be on the left to make certain they could clear the other car going the other way.

There were always exceptions. Autocar offered the driver's position at the buyer's option, building quite a few left hand driven cars as early as 1903 (if I recall correctly?). Several other companies also do that. And some were all left hand driven even by 1900. Ford switched to left driven for 1909, most other major producers followed suit in the next three years. Many noteworthy manufacturers remained right had driven for several years yet. Pierce Arrow and Stutz both switched over about 1920-21. British cars have all usually been right hand drive, except for export to USA cars. And European cars were often right hand drive then and some still.

• Thanks 2

22 hours ago, Grimy said:

In that wonderful picture you posted, the Pierce seems to me to be a Series 3 (1915) from the beltline, and a 38 hp because the tops of the headlights are higher than the radiator cap.  Do you know what city that is?

The city in which the photo was taken was given in some of the websites I found this photo. When my computer crashed and scrambled my photo files, I also lost about two thousand bookmarks. Including the source of the photo. I do recall that it was in Southern Califunny, near Los Angeles. They were fairly certain this was not their '16 (an early '16 with some '15 features) as the mostly known history of their car never had it that far South.

• Thanks 1

Wayne,

Great right side vs.  left side reasoning. Never knew Autocar offered both side steering, knew about the coffee gringer vs. steering wheel option. Steering wheel has the spark and gas controlled by motorcycle style drips at nine & three o:clock on the wheel. 

1904_autocarD.jpg

CL4_696.jpg

advert555.jpg

To quote - "As cars became more plentiful, they later decided a driver should be on the left to make certain they could clear the other car going the other way" - which effectively means whether you are driving on the left or the right you drive with the steering wheel side of the car next to the centre line. 

For some strange reason so many tourists forget that basic rule when they drive in a foreign country - they drive on the 'wrong' side - ignoring the fact that their steering wheel is on the opposite side to the centre line. The reason why here in NZ there are so many road accidents involving tourists driving on the wrong side of the road.

I have driven in the US and in France. It does take a while to get accustomed to everything being 'mirror image'. Driving on freeways and other marked lane roads is easy, it is places like car parks where it gets confusing. The rental car building at Boston airport is a bit weird - I think it is an old carpark building. You drove the exit road out of the building on the left and then swapped sides as you joined the main airport road.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, keiser31 said:

The gangster car is a Chrysler.

I think the Chrysler is a police chase car. Seems to me that gangster cars had roll down back windows for shooting at pursuers. With the big spotlights as well as forward facing gun ports,this one is better suited for pursuit.

1 hour ago, 58L-Y8 said:

Seems if a '32 Chrysler Imperial CH would have been an ideal police pursuit car, same engine and 125 horsepower as the CG/CL Custom Imperial but built on the 135" wb and somewhat lighter weight.

Am I mis-remembering?  Didn't Chrysler list them at 140?

2 hours ago, alsancle said:

Am I mis-remembering?  Didn't Chrysler list them at 140?

The Standard Catalog edited by Kimes and Clark list: [CH} In-Line, L-head. Eight, Cast-iron block B X S: 3 1/2 X 5 in.: 384.84 cu. in. C.R. 5.2:1, Brake H.P. 125 @ 3200 R.P.M.