Stock Market versus Classic Car Market

stude24

On 3/13/2020 at 7:59 PM, padgett said:

Makes sense since this has never happened before so their tables are useless. 

7 hours ago, 1935Packard said:

My guess is that the economy is going to get its butt kicked, in an unprecedented way...

We have not experienced anything like that before...

"This time is different."  When you hear people, and the press,

saying that, the market has reached an extreme low or high:

People are so discouraged, or so irrationally exuberant, that

the turn in the market is ready to happen.

During the 2008-2009 market rout, that sentiment was expressed.

People lost faith in stocks when the market was down 50%.

Yet, the market quadrupled from the Dow's low of around 6200.

During the late-1990's internet-stock boom, "This time is different.

The internet is such a major development that old P/E valuations

don't apply."  Yet the vastly overpriced stocks fell back to a fair price.

If you'd been looking to buy a '53 Buick Skylark for $100,000, 

and they were temporarily selling for $50,000, that might be the

time to buy!  Emotions often drive the markets, and those who

look historically and master their fears have a good opportunity!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mike6024 said:

Price of oil dropped to $29 per barrel. Gas is still $3.25.9/gallon for regular.

I haven't seen gas over $3.00 a gallon for a few years,

even in Penna., which isn't exactly a low-tax state.

In South Carolina, always a good place to buy gas,

prices on www.gasbuddy.com show $1.75 to $1.89 per gallon.

May everyone's prices come down within reason!

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

I haven't been able to sell a car now for years, where I could make any money.  All were money losers.  I find considering an old car to be an "investment" is pure folly.  Maybe if I could afford to buy Duesenberg's, Auburn's, Packard's and such it would be possible although I doubt it.  If you turn them over quickly without any repairs or improvements, plus a lot of neat coverups you can make some money, but when you turn to any mechanic or restoration facility at $100 an hour you have to love the car because you're digging a hole that nobody will pay you out of.  Just my 60-some years of experience.  Also, cars have gotten so horribly overpriced how can anybody consider them a good buy these days?s

Edited by Dynaflash8 (see edit history)

fully overblown in my book. look at how many died of the flu last year and it was hardly reported.

the media is creating hysteria. nothing new. more people died from a lightening strike last year, then are dying from this here in the US

carry on........

• Like 2

1 minute ago, mercer09 said:

fully overblown in my book. look at how many died of the flu last year and it was hardly reported.

the media is creating hysteria. nothing new. more people died from a lightening strike last year, then are dying from this here in the US

carry on........

If you get it, you'll certainly change your opinion.

• Thanks 1

Dyna, could just as easily get the flu and die.

what about that? does anyone care?

regarding restoration costs............. a 500. model A in the early 70s......... shop rates might have been 20. an hour- you were still upside down. to make money in this hobby, you have to be involved. its never been different.

Edited by mercer09 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, mercer09 said:

Dyna could just as easily get the flu and die.

what about that? does anyone care?

regarding restoration costs............. a 500. model A in the early 70s......... shop rates might have been 20. an hour- you were still upside down. to make money in this hobby, you have to be involved. its never been different.

I had enough good reasons to die during 2019, I don't need anymore.  I've been involved in this hobby to the hilt, my entire adult life.  In the 70s and 80s I bought and sold parts to afford body and mechanical repairs for as little as $6 and $8 an hour.  That's when it was fun.  Now all those guys working on the side are gone, most dead.  Current guys make so much money on the job they won't work on the side.  The auctions and dealers have totally changed the hobby since then.  It doesn't help that the cars I like have no interest among the younger collectors who are making $100K-plus on their jobs (or have been before the current situation) and they have no interest in the great collector cars built before WWII or even the Korean Conflict (at least on the average).  Maybe a Millenium can still make money on a muscle car of the 1960s that I wouldn't walk across the street to see.  That's their time and I had mine long ago.  I'm getting my thrills watching old movies on TV that are full of 1936-1948 cars.  I don't begrudge these younger people, but it doesn't work for a codger like me.  There just aren't enough of them who are truly interested in the hobby as we knew it, but instead are hoping to make lots of money on an old car.  In the long run, if they keep their car twenty years, they'll lose money and a lot of it, so they better be in it for the joy of ownership and participation in the hobby.  Sorry, I got carried away.  By the way, gas here in Sebring, FL was down to $2.17 a gallon two days ago.

Edited by Dynaflash8 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Friend brought up something I had not considered: 2020 is an election year.

Am in the danger group but rarely leave my home anyway and have plenty of projects. Have about a month's worth of food for the cats & started using dish towels instead of paper products. Too bad Sears catalogs are no longer paper.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, mercer09 said:

I bought home heating oil on thursday for 1.60 a gallon with my ccd. and get cash back

now my 1000 gallon tank is almost full for next fall.  I have no complaints!

Unfortunately we filled our tank just under a month ago and it was 2.70 a gal.  Only 500 gals atleast. 

Good news our tax assessment went up but our taxes went down $1600.  Yeah hard to believe.  Hopefully that accounts for the new building as well.  Of course I pay the Mortgage and the wife pays the taxes so My bill didn't go down. In fact we remortgaged and mine went up a little but will be paid off much sooner than before. 

Now that they are bleeding money everywhere and revenue for the towns will be off drastically as we have alot of tourism that pays the bills, They will probably jack it up.  Though we now have to homeschool all kids so school taxes should really drop. No bussing no activities etc. 

• Like 1

Costco  (243 reviews)
1990 Santa Rosa Ave near Colgan Ave
Santa Rosa
4h ago
Icon dashmon 
Valero  (62 reviews)
4501 Sonoma Hwy & Mission Blvd
Santa Rosa
1h ago
Icon soncoman 
Chevron  (24 reviews)
1855 Guerneville Rd & Marlow Rd

Gas prices coming down a bit to about $3.19 for regular. You cannot buy gas for $2.99 at costco unless you are a member, and I refuse to become a member. Out of the dozens of stations, only 2 are below $3.19

Gas prices coming down a bit to about $3.19 for regular. You cannot buy gas for $2.99 at costco unless you are a member, and I refuse to become a member

In NJ, costco must sell the public gas and drugs at the same price as members..............

I don't get it. I read the papers, even the local rag,  and I read about empty shelves, melees in the aisles over water and paper, meat coolers stripped bare. So I go to my local supermarket Friday and pick up everything that I want including TP. I went again Sunday and found everything I wanted. No pushing. Nothing marked up. I went again today. Some shelves looked picked over but all the paper towels and cleaning supplies you wanted. Meat shelves well stocked. Bacon on sale. Even had two pallets of bottled water sitting out.

Our governor has "ordered" all restaurants closed except for take out. OK I guess. Then today he "ordered" all of the State liquor stores closed starting this evening until further notice. Since you can't drink inside of a State store aren't they, by definition, "take out".....Duh!  I read in the paper of lines around the block trying to buy booze and wine before the shut down.

I figured I better stock up on some nice Scotch for the duration of the madness.

Hopped in the car, drove to town,  expecting to get in a fist fight over the last bottle of Glenlivet. Nope! Walked right in the store, bought everything I wanted. No line at the check out. Nice young man carried my "supplies" out to the car for me.

I'm beginning to think that Chicken Little is in charge.

I'll be very surprised if at some point in the future this entire "crisis"  isn't the subject of case studies, college courses, and doctorate dissertations on the causes and results of mass hysteria............Bob

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Bhigdog said:

I'll be very surprised if at some point in the future this entire "crisis"  isn't the subject of case studies, college courses, and doctorate dissertations on the causes and results of mass hysteria............Bob

Classes are going on at this moment.

Image result for ambulance chasing lawyer

Gas prices aren't going to matter much when we aren't allowed to drive anywhere even work. 

Now is that person still rolling their eyes that did yesterday when I posted we can't picnic in the park and they'll probaby not let us drive wanyehre before it's over.  Now I know that's not all over,  but boy things are getting out of hand fast. 

At this rate atleast the constitution will have one last gasp as a piece of toilet paper before it's flushed away. 

• Like 3

Cant register either of them,  they just closed DMV.   I guess since they are just making up laws as they go along,  since it's insured,  no reason I can't drive on the old owner's YOM plates from ME since I can't register it.  Might as well make our own laws as well. 

The new crop of lawyers are going to have work for years. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Bhigdog said:

I don't get it. I read the papers, even the local rag,  and I read about empty shelves, melees in the aisles over water and paper, meat coolers stripped bare. So I go to my local supermarket Friday and pick up everything that I want including TP. I went again Sunday and found everything I wanted. No pushing. Nothing marked up. I went again today. Some shelves looked picked over but all the paper towels and cleaning supplies you wanted. Meat shelves well stocked. Bacon on sale. Even had two pallets of bottled water sitting out.

Our governor has "ordered" all restaurants closed except for take out. OK I guess. Then today he "ordered" all of the State liquor stores closed starting this evening until further notice. Since you can't drink inside of a State store aren't they, by definition, "take out".....Duh!  I read in the paper of lines around the block trying to buy booze and wine before the shut down.

I figured I better stock up on some nice Scotch for the duration of the madness.

Hopped in the car, drove to town,  expecting to get in a fist fight over the last bottle of Glenlivet. Nope! Walked right in the store, bought everything I wanted. No line at the check out. Nice young man carried my "supplies" out to the car for me.

I'm beginning to think that Chicken Little is in charge.

I was at our local " Super Store " , not quite as cheap as Costco but much wider selection and no membership fee. Monday { yesterday }was a waste of time , many empty shelves . I went home after about 5 minutes. This morning was much better, still some empty shelves but probably 80% of the bare ones had been re- stocked overnight.

Costco is on my way, the parking lot was a zoo both yesterday and today so I can imagine the inside of the store was as well.

Greg in Canada

oil at 25. a barrel today. russia putting the curse on export oil. we should see 20. within the week.

saudis can pull up at a cost of 7. a barrel.  our frackers are going to go under at this rate.............

as John says- fill up you antiques and go for a drive!

As long as the supply chain (I.e. truckers) keeps moving, the shelves will be restocked.

I heard that the gub’mint is buying cheap oil from overseas to fill up our reserves, so not all is lost.  Gas hovering slightly over two bucks in Virginia.

Just think, one little virus bug mutating in a Petri dish has shut the world down....

35 minutes ago, trimacar said:

Just think, one little virus bug mutating in a Petri dish has shut the world down....

And, moreso, mutating in people's minds.

Great fear and dreadful expectations have

resulted in the actions the world has taken.

People are willingly giving up their rights to

seemingly responsible government officials,

in effect instituting martial law:

---The right peaceably to assemble (including

antique-car hobby events)

---Freedom of religion (some services are canceled)

---Freedom to move about (in some foreign countries)

---The right of free trade (some venues such as

restaurants have been closed in some locations).

Here on the forum, we're aware, we're alert.

But at least we have plenty of in-home activities to enjoy

as we work on our cars and greet springtime with short

scenic drives.

• Like 4

well, this is a great time to just go and enjoy the car hobby at home. Something you wtd to get done? now is the time.

tell the boss you are home working off your computer.......... throw him some fake numbers and go have a beer in the garage and get a little dirty!!!!!!

🙂

Relax, ladies. A short-term shortage of sundries and a sternly-worded suggestion that you not go out and spread disease isn't a Constitution-shredding event.

How fragile have we become as a nation if this is all it takes to make us whimper?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I saw this Headline it could be just a story.

US government is 'in talks with Facebook and Google' about tracking the location of citizens using their smartphones during the coronavirus pandemic to ensure they are practicing social distancing

• Data collected by tech giants on users' location could help track the deadly virus
  • It would be completely anonymous and then sent to officials as a map or data
  • The data could then be used to see where groups of people are gathering
  • No specific details have been revealed into how it would work or if it is working 
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

In some states they are closing all liquor stores.  Now that doesn't matter to me as I don't drink,  but wow they are ushering in prohibition right along side everything else.  Someone said welcome to the 20's and wasn't kidding. I have yet to see much congregating at liquor stores.  Coffee shops yes but in out town they leave the car running while they run in for their spirits, back out and off they go home. 

This is only scary in that it shows what they can accomplish this quickly in relation to limiting of rights and controlling business,  which once you control some,  you will control most of it.  Guys like you Matt see it as when they put the brakes on many peoples incolme it directly effects almost all but the most essential retailers. 

I still say no one has crunched the numbers hard enough nor has all the Data to se how many trillions of dollars the US has already lost.  It's still spreading or we are atleast seeing the true extent of cases  (most likely) so they will keep us locked down until there is no spread.  That's a long way down the road unless we get a really hot spring and the virus can't handle it. 

The perfect storm no one could have predicted.  Especially the media hype and spin.  

Bringing this back on topic a bit, after the financial downturn in 2008-2011 there was a collapse in the market for those items that can be described as adult "toys". Things like RV's, boats, snow machines (in this part of the country) and unfortunately antique and classic cars and trucks all took a hit in the marketplace and prices took a nosedive. The good news is if you had the cash available it was a buyers market and bargains were to be had. I suspect the same thing will happen with this downturn, only the extent of the downturn is unknown at this time and for a while I suspect folks will be holding on to their cash until things settle down.  

Look at the bright side.

We don't have to listen to the daily climate change sky is falling hysteria, at least for awhile anyway.

Living in a semi rural area I'm free to roam around. Gas is cheap. I'll likely take the the wife and dogs out for a Sunday (Wednesday) drive just to blow the stink off ourselves.

Do feel sorry for the folks stuck in cities cooped up with hyper kids bored out of their minds.

I predict an uptick in both the divorce and birth rate.

Your results may vary..............Bob

• Like 4

Has little effect on me since rarely go out anyway, was a telecommuter for years. Am pretty well stocked except for banannas, have over a month of cat fud.. At 3am Amazon had paper towels available. May hit 90 today, are having a very warm spring and am told the virus does not like warm weather.

OTOH Florida has always been dependent on tourist dollars to survive, suspect will lose many local businesses. Latest orders have effectively shut down malls (many in Orlando) and restaurant row. Suspect the state losses have exceeded a billion$ already and Spring Break is essentially cancelled.

5 minutes ago, padgett said:

am told the virus does not like warm weather.

By that logic, the Southern Hemisphere would have no problem as they are about to move from summer to autumn, but Australia seems to have a COVID-19 problem.....

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Grimy said:

By that logic, the Southern Hemisphere would have no problem as they are about to move from summer to autumn, but Australia seems to have a COVID-19 problem.....

Lots of people in Air conditioning though.  Just like in the winter up North trying to stay warm.  When you get that happy median temperature where it's too hot for the virus but not too hot to be outside,  that might help.  Lorts of open air things on a warm day might not be bad.  Might as well guess like the pros at this point.  Atleast my guessing is hopeful unlike their worst case scenarios. 

• Like 1