Is this barn find a Stutz?

Restorer32

Just kidding. We were asked to pull this car out of the shipping container in which it has slumbered for the last 20-30 years. It was built in the 1960's by a fellow from Baltimore. Helped that he owned a sheet metal/machine shop. He also had a few properly restored cars back in the day, mostly Model A's and Chryslers. As these things go this one has better styling and execution than most. Cadillac engine, Skylark wheels. Our job is to make it road worthy again. Not sure what to call it, Resto-mod, hot rod, rat rod, tribute car? Anyone from the Baltimore area remember this thing ?

Clark Car.jpg

• Like 4

Rolls-Canardly. Rolls down one hill and Canardly get up the next ha ha old joke. I would call it a speedster or replica. You could have a lot of fun with a car like that if you don't take it or yourself too seriously. In any case it is an expression of one man's taste and may be worth preserving .

Interesting but I don't care for the top treatment at the rear of the passenger area.

Would look better to have a metal body panel across the back of the rear seat and not have the top material come all the way down.

• Like 1

Nothing there is Stutz! That is the Clark Car. I remember it from the owners garage from over 40 years ago, his last name was Clark and he built it from various parts. I had always wandered what happened to that car. As I remember it had a Mack truck radiator shell, Cadillac engine, Model A fender and who knows what else. I believe it was registered and titled as the Clark Car. I will forward this thread to my friend that lived there and dated his grand daughter.

C

CLARK

R

Alex D.

Edited by Alex D. (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Restorer32 said:

DING DING DING... We have a winner. It is indeed the one and only CLARK CAR

What are the plans for the Clark Car? Does the Clark family still own it ? In the past I had asked my friend if he had any contact with his old girlfriend and if he had any way of locating the car.

Wow! how excited I was when I saw that picture.

18 minutes ago, 60FlatTop said:

If Clark had been Clark Gable and Bowman & Schwartz built it church bells would be ringing and there would be dancing in the streets.

I'd put a couple doors and a boat tail on it myself.

And if a bull had udders it would be a cow.

• Thanks 1

On 10/21/2019 at 2:29 PM, 8E45E said:

I wonder what it would be worth in parts!!?!

If those are genuine Borrani wire wheels as used on the Skylark, one can sell them for a good price, considering what genuine Borrani re-pops cost: https://www.borrani.com/buick-skylark-borrani-wheels-1950-54.html

Craig

Sidenote:  Borrani never originally made wire wheels for the 53 and 54 Buick Skylarks (optional until I believe 1958) - they were Kelsey-Hayes brand; and if Borrani did make a Skylark wheel it was for some auto show car and close to a one off. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, John_Mereness said:

Sidenote:  Borrani never originally made wire wheels for the 53 and 54 Buick Skylarks (optional until I believe 1958) - they were Kelsey-Hayes brand; and if Borrani did make a Skylark wheel it was for some auto show car and close to a one off. 

It may have been for the one-off showcar, but either way, they were unique to the Skylark, and still might be worth a lot on the market.  

I'll still stand by stating that homebuilt is probably worth more in parts.

Craig

6 minutes ago, 8E45E said:

It may have been for the one-off showcar, but either way, they were unique to the Skylark, and still might be worth a lot on the market.  

I'll still stand by stating that homebuilt is probably worth more in parts.

Craig

It has a limited value, but probably more than you think merely for the fact that someone finished it and it is pretty close to being able to hit the road again - plus it has a decent enough look (actually, I like it and would have a lot of fun with it). 

And, yes a set of rust free/non-pitted set of Buick wires are always worth decent money - I see them all the time being restored at Dayton Wire Wheel. 

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)

You are confusing "monetary value" and "sentimental value". Obviously  the current owner values it enough to preserve it and make it road worthy. Beware the Philistine who knows the price of everything but the value of nothing. Of course  it's not worth much money but that is not how we are are evaluating it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I traded all my sentimental valuables for self satisfaction value. It's a liberating feeling!

Ever watch the antiques roadshow? I keep telling my wife that there is someone out there really placing a great value on an item the owner is going to take home and put in a drawer for another few decades.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, C Carl said:

Uh, what Cadillac engine moves the subject beast ?    -   CC 

I believe the Clark started out with a Ford Flathead V8 and later switched to a Cadillac push rod with an Automatic, possibly the 390. That is a recollection of about 45 years ago.

Alex D.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/27/2019 at 5:21 PM, Alex D. said:

I believe the Clark started out with a Ford Flathead V8 and later switched to a Cadillac push rod with an Automatic, possibly the 390. That is a 

Alex D.

It has a '64 Cad in it now. Rusted up tight. We popped the heads and found a broken valve head lying on one of the pistons. 

Not one person has commented on the workmanship of the car.

It seems that if someone does not approve of his styling it is no good.

I would like to see what they are capable of producing, even if it is restoring a stock vehicle on their own without professional help...

(although professional help may be needed for some of the commentators here) 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Roger Walling said:

I would like to see what they are capable of producing, even if it is restoring a stock vehicle on their own without professional help...

(although professional help may be needed for some of the commentators here) 

On another thread, an old crank called one of my cars a POS. I've never seen him but I bet I could pick him out in a crowd. Those ones always have the same look.