Old car bargains from around the Web

The Olds Is about where it should be if not a tad high.  Tired interior, needs 1000 in tires, Some repairable rust?  Whatever that means, and a rear bumper that needs plating which is going to be expensive.  I have virtually that cars twin.  Was offered  $17,500 by someone a couple of years ago that wanted that exact car,  but didn't sell it because it was my first Old Car and have had it almost 30 years.  Looking back I should have took it and bought another old car on my bucket list.  My chrome is all New replated or NOS. I have alot of NOS odds and ends for it as well. 

I would say same on the Chrysler.  I like these,  but they have little love in the old car marketplace and don't seem to sell well. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think both are worthy cars. I suspect if around 10K was offered the sellers would probably think hard about it. Personally, I've never understood the seemingly inverse relationship between low price common car when new to high price as a collector car but this seems true in most GM, Ford and Mopar non-ultra-rare situations.  So.. if you would be just as happy in a '50s Olds as you would be in Chevy,  this would be an attractive choice. 

• Like 1

The reason I ended up with a 56 Olds.  When I bought mine for 3G in the early 90's,  you couldn't touch a good 57 Chevy in comparable condition for under 10G.  I liked it was a little different as well.  I never restored it.  Just some light mechanical work, tires, replacing the incorrect front seat with an original one, new carpet, then some chrome work.  I never even repainted it,  though it could use a paint job. 

IMG_6000.JPG

• Like 1

It seems 64-67 big block mopars have climbed in value as the 67-71 mopar muscle cars have gotten out of reach. But these yachts get not much love while their one size smaller brothers get the bucks. Lots of people still thinking 383 speed.  I like these huge dominating presence on the road mopars with their mile long trunk and that 383 will get you moving. Really distinct color.  But being a 300 the car will have zero road feel and "holy crap I just changed 2 lanes with a sneeze" power steering. I sure would be going over the function of that power top and the overall condition because you can really eat up some $ on repairs and a new top install. If it is ripped or wearing thin knock off 1500-2 k just for that.  

• Like 1

My 65 Fury and 63 Dodge 880 (Chrysler Newport) is like that.  Worse is the 63 needs a steering box rebuild which I plan on starting in the next few weeks so you have a couple inches of side to side play thrown in too.  Go from driving a 60's Mopar with that "pinky" power steering and get in that 50 Chrysler and it is like piloting the Queen Mary in difference. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Brooklyn Beer said:

I sure would be going over the function of that power top and the overall condition because you can really eat up some $ on repairs and a new top install. If it is ripped or wearing thin knock off 1500-2 k just for that.  

Absolutely ! You all bring up some good bargaining points that most buyers will fit into the discussion in person as we all know...

I think as Eric alluded to earlier, one could offer less and probably strike a deal especially since most sellers have a "true" figure in mind that's less than advertised - unless the ad said firm which neither of those ads did if I recall. 

The tired interior and rust areas are a concern, as Randy pointed out earlier. 

29 minutes ago, JACK M said:

This very special 1965 300 is like riding on a cloud.

2019-03-14 300 001.JPG

2019-03-14 300 002.JPG

009.JPG

005.JPG

I wish they had put that dash in the 65 Fury. Just so plain in comparison. 383-4 spd with AC must make your car extra special !  Compare yours to a 65 Impala SS or a 65 Galaxy 500 and the Chrysler wins hands down for interior styling. But it seems every month I am tracking down a new squeak or rattle with as much steel in these interiors and they could have done a much better job with window isulators.  Looking at your 300 it is very easy to see where the inspiration came for the 67 GTX

I am not the best with links but fb marketplace has a very nice Washington blue A roadster, late 30, nice, nice all around car in somers, CT at $12,700.  Around $5 to 7k less than I have seen for comparable 30, 31 roadsters.  Should sell in days not weeks.

• Like 1

You know I was just thinking about getting on and posting an update after taking her on friday beer run before rain comes back in.  So far everything is really good except me trying to find out where the shift points are in the trans as they change whether your going up a hill or down a hill. If you start off in low and shift to high or just start off in high range.  Sometimes they just change because they want too. But the high range is usually right around 25-30 unless your going down hill which is how I have to leave to go to town. Then it likes to shift at 21 mph.  On the flat it wants to shift at 24 mph most times when it doesn't want to shift at 29 which is when it doesn't want to shift at 27.  Get it ?  Yeah, me either.  With the windows up now I hear a little "clunk clunk" when slow and hitting a series of bumps so will get under and check out the sway bar bushings and stabilizer links. Sounds like that. Loose wire on the heater fan switch that I have known about but been lazy as it is has not been cold and the defroster will chase you out of the car anyway. Blower works on the heater, just a wire under there doing something. Have to look into why E-brake light likes to come back on for no reason. So far a great sound car. But the plan to give myself a loan till I sold the z28 didn't work out. The problem with collecting is that you always want to keep collecting. So I just ended up trading it for this 32 Plymouth and expanding the Mopar collection.  The best made plan went down in flames. I started doing the math and figured out I came out ahead on the Chrysler which of course now means I still behind after this  ha.  The wire wheels just threw all logic out the window. Last week had too much fun with the 31 Franklin when we had the annual "Prohibition Speakeasy" night in historical downtown. It was a blast shuttling flapper's from bar to bar. And the decision to swap for this Plymouth wasn't hard to make after that.  image.thumb.png.b1cff2078cdcf7f29ed0139d397080c0.pngimage.thumb.png.296ee62a9673013c5641f3ce49153ec3.png1932 Plymouth Sedan (CC-1297729) for sale in Mankato, Minnesota

18622153-1932-plymouth-sedan-srcset-xxl.jpg

IMG_1006002.jpg

IMG_1016002.jpg

• Like 3

Yep ours has no rust and runs great, I have a standard LB uph kit for it and a new top in the box, but Paint is really dead.  That said, my hs buddy has had his w blue roadster since the late 70s, so we need to go with another color!  😁

• 2 weeks later...

$1500 for this running driving pre-big bumper MK. IV Lincoln Cont. (albeit with a bad vinyl top) seems like a very low price. Not much rust and lower miles. But needs work and  there seems to be the standard eBay seller laziness/stupidity/dishonesty/whatever regarding the title. I actually like the pre-big bumper MK. IV's better than the MK. III's (which I like a lot.) And they're rarer.

Edited by JamesR (see edit history)

Another nice looking Continental from craigslist. Not mine.

https://charleston.craigslist.org/cto/d/charleston-for-sale-by-owner-classic/7032308465.html

For all those who loves collecting classic cars, here is a true beauty for you. Asking price is $3,000 or best offer. Call Al Brown at 795-5929 or show contact info . Serious inquiries only.

Don

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, DLynskey said:

Another nice looking Continental from craigslist. Not mine.

https://charleston.craigslist.org/cto/d/charleston-for-sale-by-owner-classic/7032308465.htm

Wow, that is nice, at least from that angle. If it has a legit title, runs and isn't bashed in on the passenger side, it would be a real bargain.

There's one for about $3700 around here, but not as nice as that I don't think.

Not really a great deal or really anything to get excited about, but if this 65 can be proven to be 27k original miles, it's a neat time capsule I thought you guys might enjoy. No value since it's a four door but still a clean nostalgic survivor. 

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/cto/d/salinas-1965-chevy-impala-27k-original/7035918443.html

00H0H_6QOgEQOhqTj_1200x900.jpg

01313_hWYa42WDkIk_1200x900.jpg

3 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

I've seen a few "good" deals but they really pale in comparison to the 1950 Chrysler .  That just raised the bar too high. 

Chrysler is getting used as long as the weather stays like this. Almost 70. It is in rotation with the rest. Today it was the parts chaser as I am having to build new shock links for the 31 Franklin after swapping out rear shocks.  What a PITA

20191214_144516.jpg

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Brooklyn Beer said:

Chrysler is getting used as long as the weather stays like this. Almost 70. It is in rotation with the rest. Today it was the parts chaser as I am having to build new shock links for the 31 Franklin after swapping out rear shocks.  What a PITA

20191214_144516.jpg

Beautiful car, Brooklyn Beer. We all missed out on that one. Glad it was bought by someone who really appreciates it, though. 😉

• Like 4

I agree with auburnseeker...realistically priced. OTOH, late 40's and early 50's Plymouths and Dodges are good values for people that want a genuinely 50's car vibe but don't want to spend a lot. They don't cost much because the flathead six engines were the only option and they produced under 100 hp. They were also fairly ordinary looking, but the 49 Plymouth pictured is genuinely nice looking, as was the 50. The two door 'fastbacks" looked downright cool, and the two door wagons are awesome, though rarer and more money. Oh...and auburnseeker's awesome 51 Dodge convertible is the coolest of all. Once again, though, a lot more money. These cars handled real well for a budget car of the era, or at least mine ('50 Plymouth P19 fastback) did.

• Like 1

Have always been in love with the 46-54 mopars.  Best bang for the buck today for anyone wanting to get into the "old car" hobby. Parts are easy, rock solid dependable. I keep seeing them much cheaper then this and it hard not to buy them. My survivor 53 Cranbrook was just 1700 bucks and I use it to get to work 3 days a week just because I love driving old cars. 

• Like 3

Agree!  In terms of best value cars I always say for an early 30s experience, go Model A, for mid 30s, to 50s, mopar or Buick, for 60s Mustang 6 cylinder gen one.  Plenty of affordable and attractive cars in those groups. 🙂

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)
  • Like 2