Ford v Ferrari

1 hour ago, Licespray said:

.....it’s all before my time (born 1991). Never paid much heed to racing etc. but I am trying to learn as much as I can about..well..as much as I can :)

Just a brief recap for Licespray on a very interesting real life story.  Circa 1962 Henry Ford II announced that Ford would make an effort to be involved in racing in most major series in America and from 1962-70 they had a major presence. 

Legend has it that in 1963 Henry II approached Enzo Ferrari to buy his company and they reached a deal but Enzo bailed out.  An embarrassed Henry vowed to develop a sports car to beat Ferrari at LeMans and by 1966 they did, famously developing the GT40 and finishing 1-2-3 in triumph then winning again in 1967-69. 

Like most car movies I am sure this one has some “dramatic license” and I wonder about Henry II weeping in fright after a ride with Carroll Shelby but it is all a good story regardless, Todd C      

36 minutes ago, poci1957 said:

Just a brief recap for Licespray on a very interesting real life story.  Circa 1962 Henry Ford II announced that Ford would make an effort to be involved in racing in most major series in America and from 1962-70 they had a major presence. 

Legend has it that in 1963 Henry II approached Enzo Ferrari to buy his company and they reached a deal but Enzo bailed out.  An embarrassed Henry vowed to develop a sports car to beat Ferrari at LeMans and by 1966 they did, famously developing the GT40 and finishing 1-2-3 in triumph then winning again in 1967-69. 

Like most car movies I am sure this one has some “dramatic license” and I wonder about Henry II weeping in fright after a ride with Carroll Shelby but it is all a good story regardless, Todd C      

You are leaving out the number times he tried and failed before he succeeded .

• 4 months later...

And am now reading the book and if based on this am not sure I want to see the movie. I learned a long time ago the the media always screws something up and if you find one major item then how many didn't I find.

Am referring to the reference to Eric Broadley on page 87 and the Lola "test mules" on page 88. Revisionism at its worst. Have know something for a very long time that Ford did not design the GT40 from scratch. For one thing it is clear the interior was designed for European race divers ((most under 5'7") and not Americans. Why, well because they started with an existing design (and on I had in my college dorm) the 1962 Lola GT Mk6 which was designed before Ford didn't buy Ferrari but was designed to be a GT car, 40" high, carrying a small block Ford behind the driver, and to meet the FIA rules for LeMans.

Lola_MK6_GT_Car_2.jpg

Lola_MK6_GT_Car_9.jpg

They were a bit more than "test mules". If they got this rong who knows how else history was rewritten.

• 1 month later...
12 minutes ago, 1935Packard said:

Curious if anyone has seen the movie, now that it's out.  It's getting some very good reviews.  

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/ford_v_ferrari

Lots of reviews, everyone keeps asking me if I have seen the movie. Got to know Shelby a little bit over the years, and know most of the  story, I just keep thinking it will be a disappointment. He was an interesting, hard core individual............

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)

I worked at Ford when the "2" was there

I took Grand Sons  on Thursday before Thanksgiving, the wife on Tuesday after Thanksgiving and saw it again last Thursday With the "Z" guys.

I did enjoy the  movie I think there are some things done to enliven the story but Miles was the real Hero.

He made the car.

• Like 1

I saw it Saturday night. There were too many Hollywood embellishments for me to give it a thumbs up. I have an issue with any movie that is “based on a true story” in that they almost always rewrite details to make it more entertaining. I certainly see why audiences give it good reviews. But as a car/racing history buff, there were too many cringeworthy moments.

thought it was a good movie. saw it last Tuesday with my son.

to most on here, think they would enjoy it. as to my wife, think she might find it boring. Its a car guys movie. Damon did a good job of Shelby and yes, Ken Miles was the star of the show.

to the average movie goer- the movie is alright. not an academy award winner- but fun just the same!

also mentioning there is a movie now out on Delorean and the gov cornering him. might want to take a look into that as well- looks like it has a decent rating.

Saw it and liked it. You may want to watch a movie called “The 24 hour war”. It’s on Netflix for free. Documentary about Ford/Ferrari. It gives a much more accurate picture of the story. 

The current movie is worth seeing. 

Have fun

Dave S 

I really enjoyed it, and was surprised by the ending.

I have the September 1966 Car and Driver magazine. It has a good write-up on that Le Mans; 10 pages if you count the pictures and everything.

It also has Ken Miles as test driver for the Sunbeam Alpine, Fiat 1500, Triumph TR4, MGB and Alfa Duetto. Funny he would be doing something so mundane after that Le Mans.

Ken Miles.jpg

Have to understand that back then most drivers were amateurs/hobbyists and drivers on pro teams were considered employees/disposable. Were more drivers looking for a ride than rides. In 1970 I was able to race a B/P Corvette reasonably competitively on a combination of the GI Bill and a coop student salary. True a blown engine took about three months to replace/rebuild and was making some money buying 15x8 Corvette wheels in Detroit for $60 a set (4) and selling for $120 around Indianapolis (free shipping did not exist then). Remember paying $80 for a set of ZL-1 fender flares with GM part numbers. Rochester FIs with distributer and manifold were $50-$60 or trade for a Holley. The world was different then.

This morning I saw Chasing Classic Cars on Tv with a auction whwere they sol the "original" although restored #2 GT40 that Ken Miles qon the LeMans Race in.

think the selling price was over 3 milllion.   I should have paid closer attention after seeing the movie.  I do know that the restored car was not the same color as

the movie car, qith no explanation.