What is the largest antique car show in the world?

John_S_in_Penna

Lately, a few people have been writing that our

beloved Hershey show is "the largest antique car

show in the world."  That statement was repeated

in the latest Speedster electronic newsletter.

As much as we like Hershey, I don't think it qualifiies

as being anywhere near the largest.  Our AACA region's

newsletter a few years ago printed one member's story

about his visit to Sweden.  The Power Big Meet in

Vasteras, Sweden has MANY TIMES Hershey's cars.

When he was there, there were 7000 antique cars.

So what really is the world's largest car show?

What other huge shows are out there?

If we're talking all car shows, not only antiques, then the Street Rod Nationals put on by N.S.R.A, every year in Louisville KY has over 10,000 cars. I have never been to the Goodwood Festival of Speed, but I hear it is pretty big also.

I think most people I have heard say and write are meaning the largest Pre war Swap meet in the world, not Antique car Show ? Just my opine from years of comments and my travels,Charlotte is big but Charlotte has turned to thousands of muscle car reproduction tools and flea items.If you cannot find your parts on Fee bay then you have to travel to Hershey. I have no idea on the Antique cars at shows?

Cheers

Quantity vs quality, there may be shows with more cars but Hershey brings in some of the best antique cars and one of the best flea markets for them anywhere.  Many of those Swedish cars were bought at or restored with parts from Hershey.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, thehandleman said:

I think most people I have heard say and write are meaning the largest Pre war Swap meet in the world, not Antique car Show ?

The Hershey Region's newsletter has referred to

Hershey a couple of times as "the world's largest

antique car show."  No qualifications.

The August 2018 Speedster electronic message,

which just arrived, it puts a bit of qualification on the claim:

"The Hershey Region AACA invites you to make the

pilgrimage to antique car Mecca this October. Come join

the over 250,000 visitors who come each year to experience

Hershey. Meet Week in Hershey has become the largest

true antique car show in the world and includes a flea market

with over 9,000 vendor spaces, a car corral with about 1,000

antique cars for sale and culminates in a great car show with

1,200+ vintage cars on display."

3 hours ago, TerryB said:

Quantity vs quality, there may be shows with more cars but Hershey brings in some of the best antique cars...

Terry, the member I know who attended was VERY 

impressed with the quality of restoration in Sweden.

They undoubtedly have all the advanced methods,

and financial wherewithal, as Americans and Canadians.

Here are a couple of random pictures he took--and note

the number of young adults involved in Sweden, too:

Sweden Power Big Meet 1.jpg

Sweden Power Big Meet 2.jpg

Sweden Power Big Meet--1958 Buick.jpg

5 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

The Power Big Meet in Vasteras, Sweden has MANY TIMES Hershey's cars.

When he was there, there were 7000 antique cars.

I went back and reread the article in our newsletter.

I must correct myself:  17,000 cars, not 7000.

It is considered a worldwide event, and they state

that they are the largest American car show in the world.

Your article is here:  https://autoweek.com/article/car-life/autoweek-worlds-largest-american-car-show

Looking at the title:  "World's Largest American Car Show".  Very little pre-WWII vehicles.  Tout mostly 1950's and up cars.  Looking at them a majority are not even original with many mag wheels and such.  Kids hanging out the windows with hands on the roof.

Googled more Swedish and European car shows with non in the same league as the AACA or Hershey.  Yes 17,000 however "very few" that fall within the 25 year and older as they came from the factory.

Check list on Hershey to compare with your "friend's" article:

1.  Around 1100 vehicles 25 years old and older.  (no mag wheels or kids hanging out the windows, etc.)

2.  9000 or so vendors (How many at the Swedish meet?)

3   Over 250,000 visitors  (How many visitors at the Swedish meet?)

4.  Over 1,000 cars in the Car Corral again 25 years old and older as they came from the factory.  (Do the Swedes have a Car Corral?)

Your photos in your last post show some of the nicer cars.  Looking at their website most are modified thus not in the same "antique" category as the Hershey Show or the AACA for that matter.  In short the way I see it we comparing two different venues and thus the question does not mean anything to me.

How about the Woodward Avenue Dream Cruise?  That too is one big "open" category venue not in the same league as Hershey.

John, I know you will say I am criticizing which is not the case.  Simply put you are comparing largest car show with largest "antique" car show so it means nothing in the long run.  However I would still like to hear from people as to just what is the largest "car" show.

Regards,

Peter J.

26 minutes ago, TerryB said:

One of my friends used to sell a car or two annually in the car corral,  for many years his cars were bought by Swedish buyers.  Sweden does have nice US cars at their show.

Yes Sweden does buy up nice American cars but we are comparing largest car show in the world to Hershey's largest antique show.

Click on this photo link of the Vasteras, Sweden.  Certainly is not an advertised "antique" show.

http://www.transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=37035.0

Peter;

Thanks for the link.  If not the world's largest American Car Show, it certainly qualifies as one of the world's largest open air celebrations of the American Car.  It looks like more celebration than show, but I see nothing wrong with that.  It looks like a great party.

Cheers,

Grog

• Like 1

I was 15 years old in 1967 when I went on my first trek to Hershey. Since then, I have always described it as "10 football fields long and 10 football fields wide full of old cars, parts and people". I may have exaggerated, but that's the way it felt to me.

In regards to the largest 'Antique' car show, I am not aware of any event getting over 1000 pre 1932 vehicles (truly 'Antique') like Greenfield Village's Old Car Festival.  They have cut back on registrations a bit, but this is the Best of the Best for most participants AND spectators.  Hershey is awesome, but these are not all 'Antique' cars either, unless you consider anything from the early eighties down as 'Antique'.  As for the biggest Hot Rod event, yes the Street Rod Nationals is KING.  Louisville and Columbus are both FANTASTIC events.

IF by chance you want the biggest Car Event though.....the biggest Car Event in the world is also the biggest 'event' in the world.  Bigger than the super bowl, bigger than the World Soccer Championship, even bigger than a Beatles Reunion Concert (with all original members mind you),....coming in at Number One is the world famous Woodward Dream Cruise!!   1.4 million people on average from all over the US, Canada and the World.  Estimated 35-50,000 Classic, Muscle, modern Performance, Sports, Concept, Movie and Experimental cars every year (probably more).  Yeah Yeah, I know, probably another 200,000 mini-vans, trucks and suv's.  Lot's of traffic.  But it IS considered by most to be one gigantic 20 mile (both ways) car show!!  You have to  enjoy the week before and the actual event day the right way....CRUISIN!!  And have a car for it.  Who loves sitting in a chair all day looking at tires rolling by when your car can be attached to the tires and you can see everything.  

I love Classic Cars, but I also love Hot Rods, Finned cars and Muscle Cars.  Tell me it's not cool to be sitting at a traffic light and have the Monkee Mobile pull up next to you!  Or the Munsters Koach race past pacing a blown Willy's Gasser!  What true car nut would have NO interest in seeing a pre-production prototype Viper with probably 1400 HP.  Maybe you would look twice at a GMC passenger van rolling by you,....UPSIDE DOWN (built a chassis in the roof).  How about Linda Vaughn in an Olds pace car with the shifter platform, or Jay Leno in a GM Concept Vette, or Tim Allan in one of his cool cars.  I don't know, but for me, thats pretty darn cool.  But even if it's not your bag, can't argue the size!  All car events are what you make them, so I try to enjoy them all.  Bill

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, capngrog said:

Peter;

Thanks for the link.  If not the world's largest American Car Show, it certainly qualifies as one of the world's largest open air celebrations of the American Car.  It looks like more celebration than show, but I see nothing wrong with that.  It looks like a great party.

Cheers,

Grog

Agree that there is nothing wrong with it just the comparison to Hershey being the largest antique show versus the Power Big Show in Sweden.  I believe 28pontiac has it correct about the Woodward Dream Cruise being the largest car show of modifieds, rods, rat rods, originals, and so on.

The funniest caption on one of the photos in Sweden was the cops look the other way concerning drinking.  Only rule is the driver must be sober.  Hershey Park security and Derry Township police will not turn the other way if the driver eats too much chocolate.  Again, no comparison between Hershey and the Swedish show in my opinion.

Regards,

Peter J.

First, the claim is legit as the fall meet does not allow modified vehicles.  The combination of show cars, car corral , flea market additionally make up the size and scope of the event.   If you add street rods, hot rods, tuners and others than certainly it is not the largest.  In the end who cares?  Largest, second largest or what ever it is certainly the oldest show of its type and one that we all crave for each year.  Enjoy it for what it is!  The flea market is basically sold out again this year and the selection of cars at the show is terrific. 

• Like 4

Hershey is the only event that I consider the "Mecca or Pilgrimage".  I don't know of another show that people attend from all across the USA and foreign countries, religiously every year. Flea market, car corral, race car condition run, auction and car show, what more can you possibly want? Even if you aren't a car nut, walk the flea market for exercise and enjoy the sights.

I've found the best way to determine this.  It's called a "FitBit."  Since I was hobbled last year mending my broken leg, I loaned mine to my wife.  From early Wednesday morning until Saturday when we met back at our flea market spot to rest and finish loading for the trip home, that thing had recorded 31 miles!   She loves to wander the swap meet and before she goes into Judges Admin on Saturday, she likes to look at the class 25 and HPOF vehicles.  This year we'll compare totals.  That's how I long ago reached the conclusion that Hershey is the largest.  See you there - bring old spark plugs! 

Terry

GCC-5,6. 

All -

No question in my opinion - the Woodward Dream Cruise is the world's largest "car show" if you use the wide-open definition. No question.

This year in 2018, there were something like 1.2 million people lining or driving Woodward Avenue and 40,000 classic, hot rod, custom, etc. cars, trucks, and military vehicals  (even a few tracked), either parked along Woodward Avenue (which is Michigan Highway 1 (M1))or driving. From Detroit's Eight Mile Road (Eminem) up 12 miles to Pontiac Michigan and the M1 Car Condominium. Most "cruisers" do their cruising the full week before, because during the actual Dream Cruise Saturday, the eight or ten lanes of traffic are so packed that everything slows. I cruise my antiques/classics but park them when the traffic get slow (boiling). Yes there are tons of AACA cars, not just hot rods of Customs

If you've never been to the Woodward Dream Cruise, you are missing out on one of the best "car shows" ever conceived !! Your head will be spinning. Woodward Avenue BTW is Aretha Franklin's Pink Cadillac Freeway of Love, for those of you who don't speak "Detroit".

MHO - Ron Hausmann P.E.

• Thanks 1

I don't care if it's the world's biggest or world's smallest - we love the Hershey Fall Meet.  My wife and I enjoy the flea market (she likes signs and clocks and I'm always after some odd part) and walk the whole thing for three days and the car show is awesome.  After a two-year hiatus, we'll be back again this year, sans car as the 77 Fleetwood won't be ready and I've missed the deadline anyway, but will have a great time anyway.  Next year, I may bring the 77 down - depending on how far I get with freshening it up.

I totally agree with Dan's first sentence , I started to go to Hershey in 1965 and haven't missed since and my son started 24 years ago when he was born and said he wouldn't miss it either - ever!

This year will be a little bit of a personal challenge to cover much territory due to on going recovery from surgery last December, but the AACA Fall meet "Hershey" is the one place you can see friends from around the world and it is indeed , to borrow a line from "Barnum & Baily " circus, one can describe Hershey as the "Greatest (car) show on earth". A big Thank you to AACA and the Hershey Region for their continued hard work to make this event such a wonderful experience. After it is over the memories of great times will linger the whole winter.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Joe in Canada said:

If I had a choice of either show it would be Hershey hands down. How many tuners, rods, modified low riders would I have to walk by to see an original.   

I learned a new term,

"YANK TANK"

Most Americans would have to think about it for a minute.

But I have several.

Think over here the equivalent term is "Lead Sled" but I have always liked the "Great American Land Barge" (GALB).

One corollary I used to see was that the best cars came from places that had winters (and little ese to do). Today have to add places where cubic money is available. Where houses cost a million plus (and salaries match), U$100k for a car sounds reasonable. 

ps I remember going to the Anaheim swap meet one year and not being able to see the end of the row. Of course that was because of the smog.