Buick owner in the path of Harvey

Barney Eaton

We have a fair number of BCA members in the Houston and San Antonio area

I hope they are all doing well.  Willie Pittman lives in Seguin area (west of San Antonio on I-10) he may be without power as the center of Harvey looks like it got within 20-30 miles of that area.

Houston is getting unheard of amounts of rain and unless your house is on stilts, you could have water.....we may not hear from forum members in those areas until they get power, so lets hope

damage is minimal and we hear from them soon.  

I live about 40 miles north of Austin and we had very little rain on Saturday but about 1.5 overnight, depending on the path of Harvey this could last for a few more days.

• Like 6

Good message Barney! Keeping our friends in our thoughts and prayers. I cannot even fathom the volume of rain predicted. If that were to occur in my area there would not be much to come home to. I hope everyone is ok!

• Like 2

I live in the south of U.K. We often  have quite a bit of rain in august , probably because it's the school holidays , but surprised to hear they are expecting a months rainful in a day. Pity I'm in my holiday home in Cyprus would like to see.  ??

but on a serious note I watch with amazement at some the drastic weather you guys contend with in the states , just hope this Harvey doesn't do as much damage as some I've read about, or hurt anyone. Stay safe.

pilgrim

• Like 2

Good to hear from Willie.

Yesterday I heard from Howard (a Reatta owner) in Port Arthur and at that time he was ok but a lot of rain has fallen since.

If you have never been to the Houston area...it is flat so there is little "high ground".   Flat enough that west of Houston they grow rice. 

• Haha 1

We're alright.

From Snopes:

Trolls are creating fake tweets about looting

There are a bunch of social media posts of varying virality claiming to show evidence of widespread looting in Houston after Harvey. At least some of these tweets are obvious trolls — particularly those using the hashtag #HarveyLootCrew. As Motherboard explained, trolls have previously used #BaltimoreLootCrew and #SandyLootCrew to try and make fake posts about looting go viral during major news events.

1 hour ago, buick5563 said:

We're alright.

From Snopes:

Trolls are creating fake tweets about looting

There are a bunch of social media posts of varying virality claiming to show evidence of widespread looting in Houston after Harvey. At least some of these tweets are obvious trolls — particularly those using the hashtag #HarveyLootCrew. As Motherboard explained, trolls have previously used #BaltimoreLootCrew and #SandyLootCrew to try and make fake posts about looting go viral during major news events.

What purpose is there to this fake news?  Just 15 minutes of fame? 

There MAY be trolls, 

BUT there certainly are actual looters, as well in these incidents! 

It has happened before:

Following Hurricane Katrina which struck 12 YEARS AGO TODAY,

in the aftermath we returned to our home, and eventually brought some of our valuables back, using a generator to start demolition and gutting the house to bare studs to be sterilized with bleach and boric acid, but leaving in the evening.

FEMA Sub-Contractors who tacked on the blue tarp over our damaged roof also stole ten (10) of our spare 5-gallon cans of gas which were running our generator to power a fan and the power tools. Gas was not available locally since there was no electricity to run the stations, and I had brought it in from several hours away.

Then one night our locked home (with no functioning alarm system due to no electricity) was broken into. Our Power tools, hand tools, generator, and compressor were stolen, along with all of my wife's jewelry and sterling silver which were  (we thought) well hidden. Our local pharmacy was also looted. They were taking not only critical life-giving supplies and food, they were stealing booze, jewelry, expensive sneakers, big screen TV sets and other non-essentials from local business because they could.

Shortly afterward we obtained a camper trailer, moved it into our yard, and stayed at the house to continue rebuilding efforts, but yes, there are looters who will certainly take advantage when the opportunity arises. 

5 hours ago, Dynaflash8 said:

Marty, it's the World we live in today, sad to say.  Hope you're alright there in Louisiana

Thanks Earl, and the many others who have contacted us -

yes, we have had wind and extreme rain, but are keeping our local streets and canals pumped out here, and concentrating on donations to organizations which can truly help those severely affected - with preference for those with historically low operating expenses, rather than big salaries for executives. Salvation Army is a good example in my opinion, and many local congregations can ensure that funds get where they need to be.

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)
  • Like 4

Disasters seem to bring out the worst in people.  Looters who steal non life support objects are the worst among us.  Taking advantage of a bad situation for another is cowardly!   I just hope I never find myself in the middle of a situation like this.

33 minutes ago, JohnD1956 said:

Disasters seem to bring out the worst in people.

There are quite a few instances of "inexperienced" employees mispricing items in stores because quantities are different from normal. They need to send some training volunteers for up here in Rochester. Our stores have been selling one cigarette or one Pamper for years. Scoundrels.

Bernie

1 hour ago, JohnD1956 said:

Disasters seem to bring out the worst in people.  Looters who steal non life support objects are the worst among us.  Taking advantage of a bad situation for another is cowardly!   I just hope I never find myself in the middle of a situation like this.

Best Buy in Houston:  $43 for a 24 pack of bottled water, or $30 for a 12 pack ($60 for 24)

View image on Twitter

Fuel for $10 per gallon and hotel rooms have quadrupled in price.

Don't you love corporate America?  Can you spell G R E E D?  Great humanitarians.  

The only thing that really matters is human life.

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)
  • Like 2

xoj5b.jpg

I would really like to think the difference between looting and the difference between survival is taking what you need, and not what you want. You can justify taking non-perishables, but when they take the flat screens and sneakers, or threaten other lives or damage property at reckless abandon... it's just really sad. At least in Texas, as far as I know, you're protected by law to protect your personal property by any means.

4 hours ago, RivNut said:

Best Buy in Houston:  $43 for a 24 pack of bottled water, or $30 for a 12 pack ($60 for 24)

View image on Twitter

Fuel for $10 per gallon and hotel rooms have quadrupled in price.

Don't you love corporate America?  Can you spell G R E E D?  Great humanitarians.  

The only thing that really matters is human life.

Shameful and disgraceful , pity people need to buy , would be good to leave the greedy whotsits with stock eventually have to reduce to sell at a loss. ?

Not disagreeing, but in my opinion this disaster has brought out the best in people. Houston neighbors are helping neighbors. 

Real people in Austin are donating blood, goods, services and money at an extraordinary rate. I've seen it first hand. When I worked at the food bank.

Today my wife donated money and her company doubled it. Be optimistic and stop looking for the bad side dammit.

Now wanna get angry at somebody? Our senator who voted against money for you Yankees in Superstorm Sandy wants money for us.  Hypocrite.

Oh, and I wish everybody would just sell one cigarette for when you have been drinking and you need to turn green without buying a whole pack.

:)

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Lodging prices?  Read the little framed rate schedule on the back of many hotel room doors.  "Special Event Pricing" is quite a bit more than normal rates.  If that might apply in the case of a declared disaster area, might be interesting to discuss.

The Texas "Price Gouging" legislation sounds tough, but has many loopholes in it!  There can be charges and such, but if the business entity can produce documents of elevated operating costs, no "gouging" exists . . . according to the law (from what was read on the radio today).

Best Buy has apologized for its opportunistic employees' actions.

Many activities are already in place and operational to help the coastal region start to recover.  Some people are just now getting into shelters.  Help is arriving from across the nation.  One Chick-Fil-A location was delivering food on jet skis.  A pizza location bought canoes for the employees to paddle and deliver products to customers.  Many, many more similar things have been noted on the local and national news of these things.

NTX5467

• Like 4

20 cent increase in gas prices overnight, what a windfall in Federal excise tax, state tax, and county sales tax, nationwide! Blamed on the storm, let's see, maybe the guvermint agencies will suspend fuel taxes in one state as a gesture to help the Texans, shouldn't be hard to do with all the other states paying in a lot more than expected.

Standing there waving the banner of humanitarianism while they pick pockets surely falls under Buy Partisan efforts.

12 hours ago, NTX5467 said:

according to the law

According to the law has very little to do with justice. The justice you see will be at a personal level.

Bernie

Guest 56BuickSuper

I could see how this could happen. 

Best Buy told CBS the pricing was “clearly a mistake on the part of a few employees at a single store.” The company said they don’t normally sell cases of bottled water, so employees priced the water by multiplying the cost of one bottle by the number of bottles in each case.

The electronics retailer says they’re “deeply sorry that we gave anyone even the momentary impression that we were trying to take advantage of the situation.”

http://fox59.com/2017/08/31/best-buy-apologizes-after-charging-43-for-bottled-water-near-houston/

3 hours ago, 56BuickSuper said:

I could see how this could happen. 

Best Buy told CBS the pricing was “clearly a mistake on the part of a few employees at a single store.” The company said they don’t normally sell cases of bottled water, so employees priced the water by multiplying the cost of one bottle by the number of bottles in each case.

The electronics retailer says they’re “deeply sorry that we gave anyone even the momentary impression that we were trying to take advantage of the situation.”

http://fox59.com/2017/08/31/best-buy-apologizes-after-charging-43-for-bottled-water-near-houston/

Where was the store manager when this took place?  Someone with some authority had to have known it was wrong but did nothing to prevent it.  It's always easy to blame the newest, lowest ranking employee for this kind of guffaw.

2 hours ago, 39BuickEight said:

I have found a great majority of "news" and photos of this tragedy to be false.  Typical modern fanaticism.

CNN was found to be faking rescue footage by onlookers. It does not surprise me, given the state of media this last year.

• Like 3