car show fun

benjamin j

we have had a wet summer here in Ohio but the shows and cruise nights go on. some of the fun stuff has been people watching this year. We went to a McDonald's cruise night and had a old guy lecture us on how bad McDonald's food is for your health.  He went on quite a tirade and the whole time he was puffing on his cigarette. We had a guy show up with a corvette that still had the sticker in the window. We asked him how long he had the car and he looked at his watch and says six hours. the same guy came to another show about a month later with a new Dodge challenger. He gets out his folding chair and just sits there all night he never walks around and looks at other cars or talks to anyone.

We have another guy that brings a blue fox body mustang that must have 15 gallons of bondo in it and looks to have been done by someone with Tourette's syndrome. that guy gets out a lawn chair and a towel he uses to wipe down the car and the towel rubs off some of the blue rattle can paint.  If it starts raining during a show about half the cars rush out for home???? maybe there cars will melt we don't get it. We had one guy trailer his car to a cruise night LOL.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Yep. You see all kinds at shows. There was a guy in Portland, Oregon who would show up in the MoPar sections of the swap meets. We called him the "poser". He ALWAYS walked around with a pistol grip, MoPar, 4-speed shifter handle and stand around and B.S. with everyone. I think he did it for some kind of muscle car attention. Then there is me....I always walk around swap meets and shows with a sign on my front and back stating that I was looking for 1931 Dodge parts. How else are people with parts gonna know what you are looking for?

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, ch1929 said:

Speaking of car show fun, anyone going to Das Awkscht Fescht at Macungie tomorrow? Very nice show! I will be there with my 29 Chrysler.

I used to go to this show all the time.  Only negative was the hot and humid August weather and the storms it sometimes brought with it.  Not sure how it is today as it's been about 6 years since I was there.

Terry

3 hours ago, GARY F said:

I do not get these people that bring a 2010-15-17 model cars to shows. If I want to see them I'll go to the dealer. I walk past them.

I intentionally walk over and look at their cars.  They are as proud of theirs as I am of mine!  It would suprise you that several of these guys with the newer cars at shows, also have Model A's, older Chevy's, etc.  I just try to keep people as INVOLVED in this hobby as I can.

Being on the BOD of our local region, we are always trying to get more people involved in the hobby.

Even though a paricular car/year/make or model might not be my cup of tea, It still pays to make the effort.

Matt

• Like 9

33 minutes ago, jackofalltrades70 said:

I intentionally walk over and look at their cars.  They are as proud of theirs as I am of mine!  It would suprise you that several of these guys with the newer cars at shows, also have Model A's, older Chevy's, etc.  I just try to keep people as INVOLVED in this hobby as I can.

Being on the BOD of our local region, we are always trying to get more people involved in the hobby.

Even though a paricular car/year/make or model might not be my cup of tea, It still pays to make the effort.

Matt

Very well said, Matt.

To each their own in showing their pride and joy.

Peter J.

• Like 1

How about the guys with the Big Block Blower and Big Tubed out Racing Slicks that have never taken it to the track. The only place it is driven is from the trailer to the Show Car Lot and back?  

I do a lot of Shows and Cruise and mingle with the neighbors, but what I try to do at most Shows is Walk the Show Field with a Video Camera, capture all the cars and then post it on YouTube.   This was my latest.

We used to have a guy who came to the local cruises with a 59 Pontiac covered with every accessory knick knack and gee gaw known to mankind from the red plastic wind deflector hood ornament to the continental kit . You knew him by his greasy black pompadour and black leather jacket, everyone called him Elvis Ziffel behind his back.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Rusty_OToole said:

We used to have a guy who came to the local cruises with a 59 Pontiac covered with every accessory knick knack and gee gaw known to mankind from the red plastic wind deflector hood ornament to the continental kit . You knew him by his greasy black pompadour and black leather jacket, everyone called him Elvis Ziffel behind his back.

Bet they wouldn't say that if his big brother Arnold was there!

46 minutes ago, padgett said:

Takes all kinds but at most shows the bright/shiny/lotsa chrome will gather far more attention & popular votes than a much rarer but factory correct car.

Tend to agree, some factory correct cars are looked at by many people who imagine how they would fix it up to their liking not knowing what they are seeing. I give credit to some of the Auto Auctions on TV and AACA Rules that show the Value of a Factory Stock Car verses cutting one up and making modifications.  Hopefully it helps turn people in the direction of maintaining the Pure Stock.  Typically, Chrome and Bling is an easy way to get attention if you can afford it, and there is a bigger Fan Base possibly for this. We see it on TV daily. It attracts younger people or old people trying to be young. On the other hand, Fall Hershey,  as an  example draws the Biggest crowds and our cars are appreciated for their uniqueness.  

An oxymoron, a rhetorical device that uses an ostensible self-contradiction to illustrate a rhetorical point or to reveal a paradox. ?  

On ‎8‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 3:16 PM, GARY F said:

I do not get these people that bring a 2010-15-17 model cars to shows. If I want to see them I'll go to the dealer. I walk past them.

I used to think this way too, until I bought my Camaro convertible new. It is kind of nice to be able to drive to a show in the daily driver and have it get attention. And also not have to worry about having any mechanical issues like my antique Lincoln currently is. While the Camaro has won a few trophies in its class, I do not get all bent out of shape when it loses to a more deserving actual antique like some people do.

I generally am not by my car at a show. I would rather walk around and look at the other cars and talk to people. But some of the most amusing moments at car shows and cruise nights have been when I have been sitting behind my car listening to some of the unbelievably stupid comments clueless people make.

• Like 2

Have fond memories of some shows, a national marque show up in the Midwest. Arrived at the hotel about 9 pm. At 10 pm was standing with some people talking car by the front door. By midnight had made it about half way around the hotel. At 2 am was back at the front door. Fun time. 

• Like 3

On 04/08/2017 at 4:16 PM, GARY F said:

Gary, I do not want this to sound critical of your position but would ask you to consider that these new cars will eventually be considered antique or collectables one day.

I agree that a car show of antiques, classics or street rods with new cars (if we are speaking of band new) stand out but again, I find it interesting sometimes to see what new car designers push "as new" when at a show you can you can sometimes see that things like disappearing headlights and automatic headlight dimmers and other such things were put on cars waay back in the day.

I have read many articles/reviews of the 1958 Buick line and just how gawdy and over chromed they were when they came out. That would be when Brass cars were getting popular as collectables and at shows. Imagine if one of those Buicks showed up at one of their shows then?

Today, those Buicks gather a lot of interest and those brass cars are not often seen.....

My point, the more things change, the more they stay the same.

I go to car shows to enjoy the people and have fun, wish that for all too.

Hope I didn't offend.

Doug

• Like 1

I first ran into this new cars as show cars back in the late 80s,I done some warranty seat repair on a fairly new Sunbird convertible and was asked by the owner to do a good job because it was a show car. I came close to telling them to find a old car and restore it but had to bite my tongue and fixed it,yesterday I was at a truck show and there were a few early to mid 90s trucks in it and realize they are getting up there in age but walked past them and looked at the trucks I very seldom see. Late weekend at the local cruise in we we discussing historical tags on mid 80s vehicles which seems strange since it seems like yesterday that they were new.

Many years ago when I was just learning to play the banjo, I joined a monthly group and sat in on a jam, plucking away slowly and quietly in the background.  Another first timer was afraid to join fearing reprisal from the better players.  After a short while he quit and was never seen again.  Two years later I was in a group playing publicly at street festivals, weddings, church and charity events.  We were having a blast, but I was not and never will be the best!  Our gigs were routinely attended by one or more very competent musicians who would always clap in appreciation along with the crowd.  I learned two things from this effort: (1) music would die if people didn't love their hobby at what ever level they could participate and (2) my first $25 banjo turned into a much more expensive Deering.  I never did get that $25,000 Gibson, but those guys would play with me all day long.

• Like 1

We don't have the kind of events that are discussed here on the AACA. At least I have never heard of them.

They are all hot rod or 'old car' shows.

I like to talk to the guys about their projects, how they did things, how I did things and such.

There are always guys that show up with new cars or trucks and I understand that they are just as proud as others with their rigs.

But its tough to talk to a guy about his payment book as its just about all they know about what they have besides the key (or lack of) and the gas door.

I hate to say it but they just take up space.

• Like 1

Then why do they advertise them as antique/ classic car show. don"t get me wrong, I do walk around and talk to people about their car/truck or about an item that interest me  or who did their paint/ chrome work and I compliment them  on their vehicle.

Of course to some it's getting a parking spot near the action, and then they don't have to park outside and walk a mile.  So may be that's just ONE reason to enter your piece that some don't consider it worthy, maybe.

I have no complaints, at least they are supporting the show with their entry fee.

Dale in Indy 

51 minutes ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

Question, when watching the video above. It made me wonder, will the music ever change? As younger people move into the hobby/industry/trade, are they still going to play rock around the clock in 30-50 years?     

Well they still play Glenn Miller (not complaining) and even earlier Jazz from the 30's.  Again not a problem for me.  I like all types of music.  Sometimes it helps set the mood,  as long as the DJ doesn't have it at a decibel level that rattles your fillings while you are trying to look at a car near the speakers.   A little live period music is even nice,  when you want to take a break from the cars for a few minutes and maybe get a bite to eat or something.  Of course I mess around with the guitar, (have a Banjo and a Mandolin as well) attempt to sing a little and write a song or two,  so I can appreciate someone that knows what they are really doing.  I saw 2 guys playing a song I have never heard guys do (it's a chick song)  and though  I wouldn't play it,  actually did it a little different and it was pretty good for what it was.   

I think most people who have an appreciation for music like to watch other  performers.  As mentioned above,  I think that's why some of those seasoned guys show their appreciation even for the beginners.  I went to one of my Son's Elementary school concerts and there were a couple of kids in the band (unfortunately not my son)  that I pointed out to my wife that you could tell liked what they were doing and were doing quite well at their skill level.  Unfortunately the rest of the band was struggling just a bit more.   

It is nice if the DJ mixes it up a bit as well and tries to find songs that you don't hear all the time to mix in.  Thye had a great DJ at a local 3 day car show and he was just as smooth as could be with a collection of music that rivaled any I have heard of.  Many were obscure old car tunes as well.  I loved just listening to the stuff he would play.  Unfortunately I think he got sick and his son took over.  It's not the same,  though he does atleast have the same crazy catalog his Dad used. 

Loved the Music in my Video. As for the New Cars at Car Shows here's something to consider. The Show was a Charity Show with all proceeds going to Military Veterans (Home Town Hero's) needing some kind of support, medical, housing, transportation,  Financial, etc. Every Car there had to Pay to Show, and it was suppose to rain Buckets that afternoon and it did but nobody left.  Also, the Car Shows are set up with Classes either to be Judged, as this Show was, or Peoples Choice which was also included at this show. So, to include an event where all Makes, Models and Years of cars, competing against same kinds and years in their Class, the door is open to anyone.  Also, to Park on the Show Field is a nice perk. I think there were 250 cars there and a gathering of families and friends enjoying  conversations, the Cars and Music day in a Park.   

Oh,  my Green '74 Porsche 914 took 2nd in the Import Class. :rolleyes:

10 hours ago, JACK M said:

We don't have the kind of events that are discussed here on the AACA. At least I have never heard of them.

They are all hot rod or 'old car' shows.

I like to talk to the guys about their projects, how they did things, how I did things and such.

There are always guys that show up with new cars or trucks and I understand that they are just as proud as others with their rigs.

But its tough to talk to a guy about his payment book as its just about all they know about what they have besides the key (or lack of) and the gas door.

I hate to say it but they just take up space.

Just because they have new car doesn't mean to they don't know anything about it. In fact I find it is usually just the opposite, they can tell you every option it has and every modification that has been done.

However, I have talked to many owners of antique cars that are absolutely clueless about what they own because all they did was raise their hand at an auction, or hand a restoration shop a blank check.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, LINC400 said:

Just because they have new car doesn't mean to they don't know anything about it. In fact I find it is usually just the opposite, they can tell you every option it has and every modification that has been done.

However, I have talked to many owners of antique cars that are absolutely clueless about what they own because all they did was raise their hand at an auction, or hand a restoration shop a blank check.

Works both ways I guess.

But those options, probably not owner installed.

I agree that there are auction bought cars that show up but they are usually to perfect for my tastes.

From an owners perspective I would not want to enter the Hobby with a perfect car. I  would prefer a car to be brought to a level of perfection thru the years. Showing at each year at AACA Meets is the guide to achieving this as you learn of the thing that result in point deductions. Off season, spending time researching, obtaining parts, fixing, correcting and installing what's needed, doing as much as you can your self is the most satisfying experience I get out of my Vehicles, other then driving them. It never ends, and when and if it does I'd probably have to look for another to start over again.

There are no 'points' shows around here other than a concourse.

I don't really see any marque specific or antique shows advertised.

They just call them car shows or cruises.

I wouldn't do well if my cars were judged to a points standard. I only know what I like and that is usually not stock original.

• Like 1