1928 Cadillac 431 4-Dr Imperial Cab Sedan

Not mine. This looks like a good buy. Is it?

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/dak/cto/6108025926.html

As seen by the pictures, this rare and expensive Collector Car, will need an exterior paint and chrome refresh. The paint is believed to be original from the factory. The body has not sustained any damage from rust-out, nor from accidents over it's lifetime! The interior has retained it's original classic material and Cadillac Elegance, and would not need replacing, with the exception of the window shades. The steering wheel has no cracks, and all cab glass is clear. The dash is good, and all gauges are clear and easy to read. The top is very good, but may need attention in one corner. The original factory V-8 engine was replaced last summer with an original type from California, which runs excellent. All offers will be respectfully considered!

• Like 1

Looking at the ad takes me back to the late sixties and early seventies, when you could find decent early collector cars that were affordable. Never thought I would see those days again. A running and driving 28 Caddy for ten grand.........

George , treat yourself to this Cadillac quickly. From the poor pics , the interior seems exceptional. Probably dry , not smelling of mold. As you drive , surrounded by that properly cleaned up elegance , you will not care about exterior aging. This HPOF survivor must not be degraded by a repaint. If it were mine , I would not even attempt to aggressively bring back any color in the paint. The remaining pinstriping is delicate. Clean and preserve only. Keep water off of it , as it will find its way into the car , possibly provoking the musty mold smell. I wonder what condition the wheels are in.

A number of missing small pieces may be in the car. "Badge bar" , crank hole cover , window crank ................ This Cad is probably a '29 , no cowl lights , instead parking lights on fenders  , which would mean synchromesh on 2nd and 3rd. 

Are you you considering buying this ? If so , I will not alert anyone else to it unless you give me the O.K. It is your find. Let me know here , or P.M. , or phone 408-621-8261. I LOVE cars like this , and really can't understand why Ed's totally long distance road ready '29 Pierce Arrow sedan has not found an enthusiastic new owner yet. If I were in the shape I was 10 years ago , it would already be mine. I love closed cars every bit as much as open cars. Guess that is more evidence I am a weirdo. But the deals are in the sedans , and long distance driving is so much more comfortable.

I expect everyone who who has been here for a while knows my '27 sedan. This is as I found it with the addition of the proper trunk , dual spares , and the period perfect turn signals under the visor. Driving these cars is healthy addiction. "Yours" will handle better than mine due to the sidemounts. The large mass concentration so far aft , results in a high polar moment of inertia , and you feel it cornering , and even towing.

i don't want to take up more of your time. Go make a deal !    - Carl 

image.jpeg

IMHO the answer depends on what you want to do with the car. If you can be happy with it pretty much "as is" ( I wouldn't be, but that's MY curse) then it's an OK buy. If you planned to restore it properly, then you would be backwards on it even if they gave you the car. I'm not talking about taking it to a shop and saying "do it" either. I'm talking about you personally doing everything except paint, interior and chrome - still better off buying one already done - especially when the car involved is a sedan.

I'd be very interested in this car for $9-10K, and then I'd part it out. There's $20-25K there in parts. I know this because I've already parted out two '31 Sedans. Blasphemy? No... the cars live on as parts of other cars.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

EXACTLY ! This aging beauty pleads : "Love me as I am". I know guys who extensively tour cars in similar cosmetic condition. They report more attention from the audience than most restored cars get. My original '27 in original paint is at another level. And the ladies ? I'm here to testify that a new Ferrari on each foot wouldn't hold a candle. Believe me , they hang on it and it sure ain't for the ragged beat up old driver. The kids enjoy the car very too. The driver of this car must be a real "people person". You will have fun hunting missing parts - they are all out there. Going through EVERYTHING to make this a turnkey driver will also be very rewarding. If it were mine , I would even keep the original rims and tires for HPOF showing . Rims are not that hard to find either. I follow the actual selling prices of these old unrestored sedans. This is more than an O.K. deal. I rate it as second only to the deal on mine , and that one took over 20 years to find. In interest of full disclosure , I had stopped looking , as age etc. imposed unpleasant realities. It came as another Craigslist windfall while I was looking for a good deal on a low mileage '93 Cad. It has been like a fountain of youth for me.  - Carl

image.jpeg

• Like 1

I would drive it as it is. I have 100 point cars and I drive them. But the old tatty cars have so much charm. 

Guys , George relinquished his position , so I called Darrell , the owner. Seems a guy from Kansas City is coming up to buy it tomorrow. Hey , who wouldn't ! Darrell said the 'Bay would be the next stop if no sale , but will call me in that case. Oh yeah ! That interior ! Put me in the preserve column. The car is all there , intact , and wants to live on , getting a taste of road again. Oh , and John , there was quite a stash of those turn signals pop up new in box out of Portland , maybe 35 years or so ago. Another 6 a year or two ago. Another expensive accessory , they went for $1,500. - Carl

I may be too late? But FYI, I see a couple things that bother me more than a little bit.

FIRST! that DASH!! I have known several owners of and ridden in several Cadillacs of 1925 through 1932 vintage. Several of them were true HPOF cars including a beautiful 1930. I have never seen a Cadillac with a dash that looked anything like that one. The gauges? Most are clearly modern. I can almost read the recognizable modern script in a couple of them, in spite of the poor angle. I have to wonder why? And what is hidden behind that dash? (Who knows? Maybe the original dash?)

The spot light looks fifteen to twenty years too new. 

Why was the original engine replaced? And IS this a correct vintage Cadillac engine for this car. Cadillac (and LaSalle) made changes to their engines almost every year at that time, and the LaSalle engine looks very similar, but is a lower horse power.

Other than those red flags? I think it looks like a great car (I LOVE that interior!!) and a good deal. I think with a good cleanup and detailing, it could be fantastic looking. I wish I could be in the market for that price range. Even if the dash indicates a complete rewire is necessary. I might would consider a re-chrome of the radiator shell.

Just my opinion.

41 minutes ago, wayne sheldon said:

I may be too late? But FYI, I see a couple things that bother me more than a little bit.

FIRST! that DASH!! I have known several owners of and ridden in several Cadillacs of 1925 through 1932 vintage. Several of them were true HPOF cars including a beautiful 1930. I have never seen a Cadillac with a dash that looked anything like that one. The gauges? Most are clearly modern. I can almost read the recognizable modern script in a couple of them, in spite of the poor angle. I have to wonder why? And what is hidden behind that dash? (Who knows? Maybe the original dash?)

The spot light looks fifteen to twenty years too new. 

Why was the original engine replaced? And IS this a correct vintage Cadillac engine for this car. Cadillac (and LaSalle) made changes to their engines almost every year at that time, and the LaSalle engine looks very similar, but is a lower horse power.

Other than those red flags? I think it looks like a great car (I LOVE that interior!!) and a good deal. I think with a good cleanup and detailing, it could be fantastic looking. I wish I could be in the market for that price range. Even if the dash indicates a complete rewire is necessary. I might would consider a re-chrome of the radiator shell.

Just my opinion.

Kinda hard to see in the engine photo but it almost looks like the carb actually has a big LS on it - not sure if that's a LaSalle thing?

Good eye , Stuart ! Yes , I went to the pic Darrell sent me , and zoomed in.  LaS it is ! The Nacker offset block engines were almost identical , and at one point for a few years were EXACTLY the same engine. There is a short daisy chain. Darrell bought the car from the son of the late owner. He got a very good deal , and is passing it on. The son also sold his fathers 1923 6 cyl touring , posted under Buick - Buy/Sell. Also seemed to be a super deal to me . Must have been. I think it is the K.C. Gent who wisely bought both. Take a look at that original old Bu'. 

Wayne , the dash is very close to being correct. The gauge on the far right is a modern addition in a new hole. The clock seems to be incorrect. I think only one other gauge may be suspect. The knob/switch to thr right of the ignition key may have been added also. The pics emailed to me are clearer , but still less res than we would like. Darrell tells me that the original engine was smoking badly , therefore the transplant. The original engine is included. Indicated mileage is 75 thou. Looks about right. I have a closeup of the spotlight. It is archaic. It would be pretty close. I would give the rad shell a try with 000 steel wool and Vaseline. If it did not come around much , I think I would think about a re-chrome too. Apparently several of the missing parts , perhaps some spares , are also included. I hope K.C. drops in here.        - Carl

Edited by C Carl
Spelling (see edit history)
  • Like 1

The LS is just a cover on the intake manifold. The Cadillac cover was just a little bit different depending on year. It will make someone a great first big pre war car. 

Here's the text of the ad for reference.  I hope it finds

a caring home and doesn't bounce around between

dealers and flippers and auctions for a few years.

Maybe the guy going to look at it is even an AACA member.

"1928 Cadillac 431 4-Dr Imperial Cab Sedan - $11500 (Shakopee) 

As seen by the pictures, this rare and expensive Collector Car,

will need an exterior paint and chrome refresh. The paint is believed

to be original from the factory. The body has not sustained any damage

from rust-out, nor from accidents over it's lifetime! The interior has

retained it's original classic material and Cadillac Elegance, and

would not need replacing, with the exception of the window shades.

The steering wheel has no cracks, and all cab glass is clear.

The dash is good, and all gauges are clear and easy to read.

The top is very good, but may need attention in one corner.

The original factory V-8 engine was replaced last summer with

an original type from California, which runs excellent.  All offers

will be respectfully considered!

Darrell (952) 303-9428"

5 hours ago, edinmass said:

The LS is just a cover on the intake manifold. The Cadillac cover was just a little bit different depending on year. It will make someone a great first big pre war car. 

Ed is correct that the LaSalles had the decorative intake cover, while most Cadillacs had variations of a stamped metal cover that covered the whole intake. The car may have had an intake manifold replacement, as the aluminum castings have a high failure rate. ( "Blowout" around the exhaust cross over area).  The intakes are interchangeable between Cadillac and LaSalle V8's of the same year.To tell if the Cadillac engine has been replaced with a LaSalle engine, request the engine number that is stamped on the passenger side of the aluminum crankcase. A 1929 Cadillac engine would be in the range of 500001 to 511005. A 1929 LaSalle engine would be 600001 to 614995. The cylinder head in the picture is  a 1929 part. ( Cadillac/LaSalle)

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

Any of you crying into your beer over missing out on this one ? Well , push the suds back towards the bartender , break out the hankie and dry "them weepin' eyes" ! Oh. And break out your wallet too.  Darrell just emailed me , and I called him back. THIS 1929 (synchro on 2nd and 3rd) 5 PASSENGER SEDAN IS STILL ON THE MARKET ! Craigslist ad is pulled. Darrell would love to have one of us AACA guys have the car , before it succumbs to the perils of the sharks lurking in the waters of the 'Bay. Darrell understands the value of the remarkable , no mouse interior , and respects the necessity of leaving the paint exactly as is for preservationalists. He may try 000 steel wool and Vaseline on the radiator shell. Does anyone have a better suggestion for such purpose ? 

Darrell is entertaining offers ABOVE $11,500 , and would welcome your call.   952-303-9428 .  As full disclosure , I do not have any financial interest in this car or transaction , as is my policy. I would like a ride in the old Cad when you get it going. Darrell also informs me that he will buy me lunch if I am ever in the Minneapolis area !   I certainly hope this charming relic finds an end user buyer with no daisy chains.   - Carl

• Like 1

He will learn just how small the market is for the car. It may end up as parts. I see this often. The car ends up sitting another five or ten years. Time will tell. 

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)

19 minutes ago, edinmass said:

He will learn just how small,the market is for the car.

The people who wanted these old sedans are too old to buy another, or long gone.   I wonder sometimes how that will affect the open bodied early cars, if not already happening.  Not the heavy classics, but in general terms.

Times are always changing and some refuse to believe it. 

I like/prefer prewar, circa 31-33,  but I am a dinosaur. 

• Like 2

This is NOT an accurate characterization of the situation. Darrell was totally unaware of "....... the interest in it here ...... ". Darrell is anything BUT greedy ! Nor was his mother a B. Anyone feel free to call Darrell , and you will find a very courteous , cooperative , generous , understanding seller , even older than I am . He works with cars of a different period , but understands VERY well the incredible importance of this interior. He has had quite a number of responses to the car , and from THOSE responses , as a long time old car guy , has re-calibrated somewhat. You will get a very good deal on this car if you ACT QUICKLY !!!!! He is giving us a window of opportunity to own this Cadillac NOW ! He bought it from a C.L. $15,000 ad , a more realistic price for this car. If you really do want a good deal on this car , do yourselves a great big fat favor and call Darrell right now. You will be glad you did , and will understand the logistical opportunity for yourself RIGHT NOW , and find yourself dealing with a true gentleman. There is no need at the moment to allow any "Beak to be dipped" in the 'Bay. Please don't even think of blaming Darrell , or me for that matter , if some flipper beats you to it , puts "lipstick on the pig" and destroys the originality and charm of this survivor forever. That will add to the expense and eternal lamentations of all subsequent curators. Please also feel free to call me. 408-621-8261. I have nothing to do with , nor will I get into any discussions regarding price. This is not MY vehicle , although if not for Mother Nature and Father Time , it would already be , along with Ed's far more elegant and valuable1929 Pierce Arrow Sedan. Even if I had to kick all the snowmobiles out ! 

Speaking of gentlemen : We should all strive to be such , unless you are a lady. Ladies and gentlemen , one of the beauties of this electronic medium , is that there is no need to quickly shoot from the hip. In the interest of maintaining proper decorum , I suggest any impulses towards making any negative value judgments here should be given a convenient and well-considered cooling-off period. My suggestion to ANY and ALL of you : Look , if you want a very good deal , act quickly. Otherwise you are just wasting time , if only your own. NOW GO GET IT !     -  Carl  ( 408-621-8261 ) 

• Like 2

What this car can look like restored. I'd buy it for spare parts but where would I keep it? I will vouch for the fact that mine has been virtually bulletproof for seven years of touring and shows with nothing more than standard maintenance. Big, impressive car that always generates a lot of attention and on tours in spring and fall, the folks in roadsters and phaetons regard my heater and roll-up windows with envious eyes. And the kids fit in the back without issues. I love mine, although I know it's not a super valuable car and that I'm probably way upside-down. But it has brought me and my family more pleasure than any other car I've owned.

Also included are photos of how mine looked before restoration, so nothing is impossible (don't hassle me about the sidemounts and whitewalls, please, I like it how it is).

590a8d7b87696_Harwood29SDNDisp2small.jpg.758d2a2d6bfe18840b94ca37081828d6.jpgIMG_1118.jpg.d243175df4fbb3412e028b2e140edc03.jpg590a8de21e7d6_CadillacOriginal1.jpg.524edeb8f9e179f3412f8a113df48814.jpg590a8e0a5c6d8_CadillacOriginal3.jpg.9081e3ddb3d5c309ffb64150f366acf8.jpg590a8e4844a44_CadillacOriginal2.jpg.2a1347a4654cbadd2f93416c030a51d1.jpg

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)
  • Like 1

The gauge on the right is not correct, temperature possibly and the ignition switch is parts store replacement. The others all look correct to me. I owned a 29 Cadillac, same body style. I consider the dashes in these cars to be the least inspired of about any more expensive car. Very soon after they adopted the oval containing the gauges with the sunburst lines set in the center of the dash which is one of their best dashes in my opinion. 

Jim43

C Carl,

You stated "Speaking of gentlemen : We should all strive to be such , unless you are a lady. Ladies and gentlemen , one of the beauties of this electronic medium , is that there is no need to quickly shoot from the hip. In the interest of maintaining proper decorum , I suggest any impulses towards making any negative value judgments here should be given a convenient and well-considered cooling-off period." and you are correct. I shot from the hip & apologize if I offended anyone. I will try to refrain from hip-shooting in the future & I will rephrase my previous reply, now deleted due to inappropriate content.

The seller has deleted his CL ad and is now entertaining offers above $11,500. By entertaining, does that mean he is having offers over for dinner & drinks? Or maybe just the cocktails. :lol:  I've seen this scenario happen numerous times before and it seems more so since Ebay & CL are available to sellers. The sellers post an ad in CL to fish around to see if there's much interest. When there is, the ad disappears & low & behold, the car shows up on Ebay, usually at about the asking price of the CL ad. I believe ignorance of the seller on the vehicle he/she is selling & greed are the main factors in play in these cases. They may not be in play together though.

Now for this particular car, I find it ironic that it was offered at $11,500 or offer originally when I posted the ad here. The posting showed quite a bit of interest, plus I think C Carl talked with the seller. After this all took place, the seller now wants offers OVER $11,500. You have to know that the seller looked at this site & realized he could maybe squeeze a few more thousand out of the car. If you don't believe this, then you probably believe in Santa, the Easter Bunny, & the moon is made of green cheese. :lol: In one reply, it's mentioned that seller says he paid $15,000. He must be of the "Buy High, Sell Low" school of thought.

Maybe the guy will get lucky & sell the car for more than his original asking price, or maybe he'll sit on it as a result of raising his price. I relinquished my position on buying the car because I don't know anything about such a car. I would have bought it to flip, but figured someone here may want it. It would be a shame to see it bought for parts since it appears to be close to being roadworthy. I don't know how or why anyone here would want to buy it now for anything over $11,500 if they've read through this whole thread & seen what the seller did with the price.  For someone cruising the web or Ebay looking for older cars, they may run across this car and decide to do some research. If they Google anything near the title of this thread, this thread may come up. That may cause questions in a potential buyers mind.

Finally, a word of caution to sellers regarding pricing your vehicle. If you aren't sure what it's worth, or if you want multiple parties interested & clamoring for it, maybe you shouldn't put it on sites like CL. An auction site like Ebay is a much better venue for you & your car.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

What this car can look like restored. I'd buy it for spare parts but where would I keep it? I will vouch for the fact that mine has been virtually bulletproof for seven years of touring and shows with nothing more than standard maintenance. Big, impressive car that always generates a lot of attention and on tours in spring and fall, the folks in roadsters and phaetons regard my heater and roll-up windows with envious eyes. And the kids fit in the back without issues. I love mine, although I know it's not a super valuable car and that I'm probably way upside-down. But it has brought me and my family more pleasure than any other car I've owned.

Also included are photos of how mine looked before restoration, so nothing is impossible (don't hassle me about the sidemounts and whitewalls, please, I like it how it is).

590a8d7b87696_Harwood29SDNDisp2small.jpg.758d2a2d6bfe18840b94ca37081828d6.jpgIMG_1118.jpg.d243175df4fbb3412e028b2e140edc03.jpg590a8de21e7d6_CadillacOriginal1.jpg.524edeb8f9e179f3412f8a113df48814.jpg590a8e0a5c6d8_CadillacOriginal3.jpg.9081e3ddb3d5c309ffb64150f366acf8.jpg590a8e4844a44_CadillacOriginal2.jpg.2a1347a4654cbadd2f93416c030a51d1.jpg

I won't hassle you. I'll say it improves the look of the car tremendously. Went from plain Jane to very sharp.

Photos of my dashboard for reference. The gauge on the far right is temperature and obviously not correct on the subject car. It also appears that he has switched his choke knob and the ignition switch. Clock is not correct, either. Note that mine has a knob for the heater fan but that's the only deviation from original spec. I will say that I haven't found any spare gauges for this car, so I don't know if they're unobtainium or I just haven't looked hard enough. Fortunately, all mine work including the clock, which is a hand-wind unit. Ignition switch should be a pop-out type unit that also locks the shifter in Reverse (I disabled that feature since it was a genuine PITA).

DSC_2788a.jpg.9b51321fdb6d9d9c784d9843850e9622.jpgDSC_2785a.jpg.fb3f7ffb6205f7ae648b0b98504fe050.jpg

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)

Well... if I had the extra money and a place to put it, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. My first car was a '27 Cadillac (and no, I'm not 90 years old... I bought it when I was 19 and it was 44 years old). They are excellent cars and just about any engine and mechanical work would be welcome compared to the expense of replacing that interior.

That said, the seller shouldn't be mislead because a handful of guys on this site really like it. American car collectors are still obsessed with shiny and "new looking" and the idea that "only open cars are worth having", not to mention the inevitable "you'll be underwater as soon as you do anything." The original asking price was just about right and should he press for much more it will probably sit for a long time. It's another example, like the Maxwell in another thread, that would probably do much better in the European market than here.

Edited by JV Puleo (see edit history)

Indeed , JV. Darrell has sold to Europe , and is still capable of doing so. I particularly like mid to late '20s sedans. I follow the Cadillac sedans of this era fairly closely. I have seen less valuable Cads go to Europe for more money. 1929 Cads are fun , strong cars. Some of us have varying degrees of "nationalistic road pride" , and enjoy seeing Detroit iron cruising the Great American Backroads. This is an opportunity to keep another here. Darrell informs me that all doors are solid , however the drivers door must be opened from the inside. The handle is there but does not work. There is another set of bumpers , so we would like to know if they are better than the rusty ones on the car. Presently the gas tank is not connected , the car runs on a tank in the trunk. 

Perhaps there is some confusion about the 15,000 dollar figure I mentioned. No , Darrell did not pay that for the car. He got it off C.L. where it was advertised at $15,000. Of course , he made a better deal. So look : everyone figured this mouse-less 1929 Cad was a good deal as a 1928 Cad at $11,500. A '29 is a more valuable car than a '28 , for more reasons than just synchromesh. So if a '28 is a good deal at $11,500 , how much more is a '29 worth ? $12,500 ? $13,000 ? $12,000 ? Really ? Come on , now. Oh , and Darrell was not aware of this forum until I brought it to his attention . He is a very realistic person. And very nice and polite. Just a good old All American hard working old fashioned kind of middle-class guy who married his senior class prom date and enjoys matrimonial bliss and good health in a house on a corner lot in Minneapolis. I am grateful to George for giving me the the opportunity to enjoy the pleasure of meeting Darrell this way. Darrell feels the same. 

Every last one of us knows that it is easy to sell a car for less than you pay for it. Get a good deal on a car , and calculate whether you will have enough fun for your money. That's how I look at my cars. I have a lot of fun with them , and sharing the happiness with others. It does cost money to do so. We all know how that goes. I just figure it is cheap psychotherapy. Again , if you really are interested in the car , you have Darrell's number , give him a call. If you just want to see more pics without any interest in purchase , I have about 20 of them , and would be happy to fwd them to you. On the other hand , try an offer. How much "over" is over ? You WILL get a good deal on this Cadillac. Synchromesh and all.   - Carl

Edited by C Carl
More info (see edit history)
  • Like 1

That is a wonderful car and I hope that it is preserved intact.  When I read that someone could think of using this car for parts, I say, is the small amount of money for all of the labor to disassemble this car and ship it all around the world, worth  eliminating the possibility that someone could enjoy this car again for many years.  Another thought, when car collectors started, these cars weren't worth anything, but they save them for the love of it! 

1 hour ago, George Smolinski said:

It's reposted

Something odd is happening when I try to look at it now, I see the title, it says 1928 or '29 Cadillac 431 but when I go go click on this title to open the new ad I get nothing. Maybe it's my computer, an ad blocker or pop-up blocker malfunction.