Roadside Assistance

old-tank

My policy was recently updated to include all household vehicles and extended towing.  So I was not worried about help when my 97 F-150 had a blowout at night on a busy road.  After 10 minutes of discussing my location the operator said he would call back with updates.  30 minutes later and no update, so I called and he said they were still looking for a provider; he said no one would come out for a tire change, but wanted to tow instead. (Whaaaat? Negotiating while I wait on the side of the road?)  Since I was less than 10 miles from home I suggested a towing company.  He said the they were closed and not working that night. ( I called the towing company and they did in fact discuss my need for a tow, but could not get together on financial arrangements:  my roadside assistance company would only pay a mailed in invoice.)

I was finally moving again 2 freakin' hours later!  By the way the roadside assistance company will not reimburse if I arrange my own assistance.

So they negotiate with towing companies and tell lies.

A call to customer service had a haughty representative telling me that 1.5-2 hours was standard for roadside assistance with any company.

They will be fired.  I am better off finding my own help with a smartphone.  My most valuable commodity is time

Name of the company?  You will have to PM since we are not allowed to post negatives.

• Like 3

I have a local guy that i keep in my phone. 24/7  operations with flatbed or wrecker ability. He even came 5hrs one time to pick up my truck and I on the side of the highway!  you should always have a good local company on call.  This is especially true if you're in an accident. the police rate can be 2- 4x the regular rate!!

My advice is AAA Plus, with insurer as back up.  I am told  "unofficially" that the tow companies will no longer change tires for flats, or other repair along a highway, as it is simply too dangerous, and the current driving climate (often 20 MPH or more above posted limits.  Don't blame them, get swooped up as fast as you can and stay will back from the car while waiting.  Just my opinion. It is hard to find a shop with two truck here in CT, almost all flatbeds.

John

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jscheib said:

My advice is AAA Plus, with insurer as back up.  I am told  "unofficially" that the tow companies will no longer change tires for flats, or other repair along a highway, as it is simply too dangerous, and the current driving climate (often 20 MPH or more above posted limits.  Don't blame them, get swooped up as fast as you can and stay will back from the car while waiting.  Just my opinion. It is hard to find a shop with two truck here in CT, almost all flatbeds.

John

AAA is the best. 

I've called them twice for a dead battery. They were there in a few minutes and jumped the truck off.

And one time I ran out of gas. They brought five gallons, no charge. They stayed there with me until

the fuel in and cranked up. 

Two other times, I needed the Roadmaster towed. 

One of those tows, I was stopped on the shoulder. AAA asked me if I was in a safe place. I told them "no". They sent a pickup truck that was closer to stand with flashing lights , behind the Roadmaster until the tow truck got there. 

Edited by JamesBulldogMiller55Buick (see edit history)

The one time i called my "provider" I got somebody who couldn't figure out where I was much less get me a tow truck. Thank goodness a game warden came along and was able to get me tow truck from the town that was 8 miles south. People in non US locations need to learn how to read a map. Plum, Texas is not that damn hard to find. Now if I would have been in Dime Box, that whole nother matter.

Edited by Bill Stoneberg (see edit history)
  • Like 1

The most frustrating thing is getting someone to figure out where you are...even on an Interstate just outside Coeur D'Alene, ID...of course they seemed to think I was in some completely different state. When in touch with CAA, they have sometimes put me in touch with the local towing company who knew exactly where I was. 

2 hours isn't bad. When my starter turned into a live grenade, I was looming at 4 to 6 hours. I found a local wrecker and paid $50 to have it towed two blocks back to home. Didn't even bother calling the provider back to cancel the service. 

The "no flat tire" situation could be a local policy OR written into the tow company's own insurance policy.  It's cleaner and easier (considering that many newer vehicles have lug nut torques of 100lb/ft) to take the vehicle to a service facility who can better take care of the situation.  Many aren't allowed to carry fuel with them, either, but they'll take the vehicle to a nearby gas station, where they'll unload the vehicle.

I'm sure there are some "standards of good service" BUT that can be somewhat variable as it depends upon where the tow truck & driver might be in relation to where the need is.  Whether they are at home and on call or at the office.  I would think 1 hour to be reasonable, all things considered, for one of the larger tow companies (which typically might also be AAA affiliates..

In shopping for roadside assistance insurance, ask as many questions as you feel necessary.  Including the response time, rates paid by the insurance company, and in which areas service is available. 

One consideration is that "aftermarket" OnStar is available.  It's not integral in the vehicle's wiring harness, but is a free-standing situation with a new inside rear view mirror.  That way, THEY can find you a tow truck. 

There's a "gecko" company with an ad on HD radio about how a lady beckoned a tow truck the 25 miles to where she was . . . with THREE taps of her finger.  All so effortless!

NTX5467

OldTank That sounded like the name of that policy should be roadside humiliation not roadside assistance.  

I hope it wasn't AAA. i get the AAA Plus Premier since I tow trailers and ride an antique motorcycle

Relative to helping someone find your location everyone with smart phone should become familiar with how to bring up your coordinates. With that there is no excuse for them not knowing where you are

1 hour ago, JZRIV said:

I hope it wasn't AAA. i get the AAA Plus Premier since I tow trailers and ride an antique motorcycle

I think AAA is a better bet because, at least where I am, they have their own fleet of trucks -- so there's no midnight negotiations with independent haulers!

I've had AAA Plus for years and they haven't failed me yet.  I'm from MA.  In 2014, while driving to CO Springs for an ROA meet, I broke down in Seibert, CO.  I was 150 east of my destination.   Called AAA, they asked if I was safe and sent a flatbed truck right to my location just below an off ramp within an hour.

It took an hour for AAA to show up in Battle Mtn, Nevada too.  Which is kinda strange since it's in the middle of nowhere but hosts several bordellos!   Don't know what happened to the next guy after us since we tied the driver up for close to 7 hours going to Reno from there. 

We got AAA for my kids when they started driving and now I have it too. I got the extended towing when I licensed the first Jaguar and my Wife has teased me that the only thing brought home was my Buick. "One of these days, Alice."

When you update any agreement look for the word "bundled" I think it means the same thing as "trust me" in Yiddish. (Go ahead, look that up.)

Bernie

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, 60FlatTop said:

We got AAA for my kids when they started driving and now I have it too. I got the extended towing when I licensed the first Jaguar and my Wife has teased me that the only thing brought home was my Buick. "One of these days, Alice."  

When you update any agreement look for the word "bundled" I think it means the same thing as "trust me" in Yiddish. (Go ahead, look that up.)

Bernie

Bam, zoom, straight to the moon Bernie....

and yes your bundled assessment is often correct.  I've not heard any Yiddish since my Grandmother's best friend was put in the nursing home...

I think you must turn your hat around and play their game.....only in the last few years have I found a need to use my "assistance" program. 

Like many of you we call an 800 number and they send out the service. It seems the person behind the phone at the 800 number has never owned a car.

(1) First one I remember, I was driving a car full of ladies in one of my wife's clubs to lunch, I came out and had a low tire...I could see the nail. Called the service and they would send someone out but they would only change the tire, I answered ok

When assistance arrived about 30 minutes later, the tire looked about the same so I ask the service guy if he would just blow it up and I would drive it to NTB.   He had no problem doing that, he got the same pay and hardly got his hands dirty.

(2) I had gone to the hospital early and I failed to turn off my lights, when I returned to the car about 4 hours later it would not start,  This car had collector insurance and I was to pay the provider and send them the receipt.  I was in a strange city and had no idea who to call, so I cheated a little,  I call the 800 number for my other cars, they sent out a fellow, driving his suv, tools and compressor in the back. He went to work got the car started and we talked about his job. He was paid $15 by the insurance company for each call so I explained the insurance company I called did not cover this car...I offered $20 if he did not turn in the paperwork, he did not hesitate and said he would just call in that he could not find me and that someone must have given me a jump.

• Like 1

On 12/7/2016 at 9:57 PM, JamesBulldogMiller55Buick said:

צוטרוי מיר  

tsutroy mir - Trust Me!

AAA PREMIER-RV is a good way to go if you tow a trailer and may need to be towed as far as 200 miles. We have had good experiences with them

צוטרוי מיר

tsutroy mir - Trust Me!

The Yiddish language, more common in the 16th-20th centuries, used many European-related components, incorporating Hungarian, Polish, German, and Russian/Ukrainian, English, and many other sounding words for day-to-day conversation but with Hebrew characters. Hebrew was, in those days, not used for normal conversation, but rather among the Orthodox was reserved for prayer. Young musicians learned some of the language by working the resort hotels of the Catskill Mountains in the 1950s-1960s, playing shows behind some of the most talented comedians and singers.

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Faith and begorrah, that "trust" me one has been in common use for centuries.

Here's my experience with OnStar, the tetchiest one out there.

I had an '08 Buick Enclave for a company car. It was equipped with OnStar, which sent me a monthly report detailing the air pressure in my tires. One hot summer day I filled up at a gas station about 6 miles from home where my friend, Mike pumped gas. He was off that day, but I patronized the place because of him. Something I never do is leave the keyes in the switch without being sure the window is down. That day, window up, my arm bumped the lock switch. The keys were hanging from the switch.

I had no OnStar information on my person. It was in the glove box. We monkeyed around and finally called the Chevy dealer to get the number. OnStar grilled me pretty good, then sent the signal from orit to unlock the doors, No click. The metal roof over the islands shielded the car from the signal. I had a spare key at home. I called Mike and asked him to get the key out of the cereal bowl with all the keys on the kitchen table. We don't lock the doors out here because we'd feel pretty bad if company came by and couldn't get in. Sio Mike was good to go.

About half an hour later, here comes old Mike in his rusty Buick. All stooped over and dragging one leg, he walked across the lot carrying the cereal bowl in two palms like an alms bowl. He was grumbling about not knowing which key it was so he brought them all.

You know, it just wasn't the image I expected with those first thoughts of OnStar.

Hey, OnStar. You couldn't help, but there is always a "Mike" around walking on Earth, somewhere.

049001.jpg Always, OnStar, trust me.

• Like 3

We have On-Star in the '06 Avalanche and have not used it yet, other than the monthly on-line reports telling me my tire pressure, percentage of oil lifetime, etc - stuff that any proper gearhead should be knowing by himself ! (but we do like the SIRIUS Radio)

My dissatisfaction came with the purchase of On-Star when we ordered our '02 Suburban LT 2500 in late 2001. We reasonably expected On-Star to remain committed to their service, but they then changed a couple of years later and invalidated their ANALOG service and their agreement, rendering our purchased On-Star option worthless in our '02.

The refund of the unused portion was not appropriate compensation for taking away the initially promised capability

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)

AAA was mentioned above.  I signed up with them (minimal policy) just to have someone to call.  15 years later and 5 miles from home a covered car stalled and would not start.  It took forever to explain my location (5 miles west of Seguin, TX on IH 10 at the intersection of FM 775...I bet all of you here can pull up a satellite view in  a few minutes).  After that got settled they immediately dispatched a wrecker that took an hour to arrive (it was dispatched from 45 miles away!).  The car was safe since I had rolled into an out of season fireworks stand parking lot.  And there is a truck stop at that intersection, so the hot weather was not a bother.  The next time I needed them the updates on the arrival time kept getting longer so I called my own tow and got reimbursed for part of the bill).

I'm going to check into calling my own service and getting reimbursed type policy.  Or 'stretch the truth':  "No, I don't feel safe" (never know what can happen in those WalMart lots); "Yes, I need a tow" (then ask the provider to change the dang tire or haul it  to WalMart).

Another problem with the roadside assistance companies not having a network already established:  at least in Texas not all tow companies are allowed to tow into or out of a different county, so it will take some searching.

The issues with OnStar "reception" were known issues, but didn't seem to happen that much, but if it was YOU, that was an issue.

When OnStar changed from Analog to Digital, it was due to the change of the networks of the cell phone providers . . . just as I had to upgrade my cell phone service to digital.  GM did provide upgrade packages, which the dealers installed, to change Analog OnStar to Digital OnStar.  Not sure of the model years covered on that upgrade, but there surely were some earlier model years that couldn't be upgraded (including the use of a compatible antenna).

The monthly service reports were originally an upgrade, but might have become bundled with the basic service in more current times.  I understand that has recently been expanded, on later model years, into a "recommended service advisory" (outside of the printed maintenance service schedules) based on component life data (from warranty and extended warranty data, I believe) to hopefully catch problems before they might become "roadside assistance" issues.

Towing services response time will always depend upon basic logistics . . . where they are and where YOU are in relationship to where they are located AND current use by other customers.  It would be nice if a "Bewitched" nose twitch could make a tow vehicle suddenly appear in a cloud of dust, but that doesn't always happen.  Just the nature of things, to me.  In TX, there can be permits on a municipality basis, but it's my understanding that a "customer request" provider can enter that area.  It might be that some national providers have those privileges as a part of their national provider service contract?  Variable situations.  From what I've noticed, the AAA-associated tow services are usually the better-equipped and staffed services, for what it's worth.  Probably that Hagerty and others are similar?

Tow services and locksmith "lock-out" on-site services will usually seem to be over-priced, in many cases.  Not much you can do if few other choices might exist  at the time the services are desired/requested.

NTX5467

I keep a number of a reputable tow truck operator, that I have vetted or used and are happy with beforehand, in my wallet.  If I am close to home, he will be the person I call first and then apply for reimbursement. Less stressful and I know the job they do.  It is when I am traveling that I have gotten into trouble. Surisingly with my modern cars more so then old one.

I had a meeting at the Air National Guard base out on the end of Long Island when I was attached to OnStar. I live in the wilderness way at the other end of the state, so, heading home, on a Friday afternoon 30 miles from NYC I decided. I decided to cut through Pennsylvania and take rt 81 up to Syracuse.  and over. I asked the people riding in the satellite to re-plot my course. The message came back that "I" was not in a location where the updated route could be downloaded to my car. Thirty miles outside of New York City is a place where I can't get service! I am still laughing about that one.

Mention OnStar to my Wife. She will immediately tell you we were almost trapped in New Hampshire with it. "We would ride forever on the roads of New Hampshire. We're the couple who never returned." I know the tune.

Bernie

Bill  I do the same in all my cars, I have business cards in the glove box from two local towing companies that were recommended by local shops.   I did that mainly for my two cars with collector insurance, they do not provide an 800 service number (at least my company does not)   I think your suggestion should be considered by all drivers.....this discussion is one of those things you don't think about until you are stranded and then start kicking yourself for not being prepared.

Don't get me started on satellite radio.......their list price is way overpriced....then they send you specials as low as $25 for 6 months that jumps to the list price , like cable TV 3/4 of the programming is stations you would never listen to.    On one re-up phone call with them I ask why I could not get a NASCAR race and although it says I had the NASCAR channel,  to hear the race you must have the PREMIUM package.   I finally held up the white flag and dropped out of satellite radio although I own 3 cars that can receive it (that is another gripe, I can only be in one car at a time but must pay for the radio in all three)

Edited by Barney Eaton (see edit history)
  • Like 3

One day a while back, I had some extra time so I explored "the dial" on Sirius XM in the pickup I was in (still in "Demonstration Mode").  I found the stations I knew about, but on the far end of the dial, there were Canadian stations, Spanish language stations, and lots of other stuff a typical customer would not ever listen to (other then to see wha they were).  Not unlike satellite/cable TV!

There IS one way out, though.  GM offers a Fleet Delete option for OnStar and Sirius XM.  Finding a dealer that could figure out how to order one that way might be a trick, though.

If you don't mind some of the reception quirks (similar to what FM radio allegedly had in the middle 1960s, before station wattage was increased), HD radio has some surprising options available.  But you have to be in a larger metro area to have any stations to listen to.  Range is limited by distance AND terrain.

Even if you aren't a subscriber to Sirius XM, certain times of the year they'll put "a selection" of channels which all non-subscribers can receive.  Usually about a 2 week period for those promotions.

The longer I listen to satellite radio, the more it seems there is some segments of the audio spectrum that don't make the digital trip, compared to tape or records.  Some of those little sparkles and "sound decay" things, for example.  Plus some upper ranges of the frequency response spectrum.  For some music, it's not that noticeable, but for others, it is.

NTX5467

Old Tank, if that was AAA, your experience sure does not match any service I've ever received from them.  I've kept AAA Premiere for years and used them plenty - 3 times in a month on our cross country trip and the service each time was prompt and polite.  Last I remember checking, tire changing service was still offered.  AND, I don't know about the rest of you, but here when you show your AAA card at NAPA you get a 10% discount.  Plenty of other discounts available with their card, too - lodging, car rentals.

Now, as for OnStar... <_<

Dan

• Like 1

Yes, the Sirius costs a bit more than I'd like to have spent, but:

My daughter enjoys the BROADWAY Channel on Sirius when she drives - either our '06 Avalanche or her '04 Tahoe,

I often listen to:

'40s on 4,

'50s on 5,

sometimes '60s on 6

Willie Nelson's Roadhouse

... and as a "has-been" musician, there are many options for the many hours we pull our trailer cross-country, heading to support all of the AACA National Meets and Tours.

I even find some of the Latino stations, even though I don't understand most of the talk, just to listen to the music - especially the Mariachi Bands.

This all comes in handy when we are out of range of PBS and other local broadcast stations on FM

Maybe not the best solution, but helpful beyond the dozens of CDs we have heard multiple times

• Like 2

The only time I can listen to the radio is while driving or in a vehicle.  Some of it just sounds BETTER that way, to me.  Not the same in the house!  PBS on FM, HD2 stations, even a few AM stations sometimes.  On satellite, I usually end up with WaterColors or similar, for the longer times.

When travelling, I still like to listen to local radio for the areas I drive through.  LOTS of interesting stuff, sometimes!  Even some "elevator music" on an FM station in central Texas, or classical in areas where such things are NOT expected!  Never know what you'll find!  Some "Books on Tape" are good, too.

NTX5467

• Like 2