Good look, Bad look?

Xander Wildeisen

Here are a couple  pictures of the finished wood I just put in the bed of my Hudson truck. The wood is Ash, with a wheat and ipswitch pine mixed stain. The boards were sand blasted pretty heavy, it gave the boards a really weathered look. They are smooth in the finish, but have a wild look to them. The pictures do not do it justice,  Just wondering what people think of it.

Cadillac_and_truck_bed_023.JPG

Cadillac_and_truck_bed_019.JPG

• Like 3

Looks great but now you have to worry about scratching it.  I'm going to miss that about my old Chevy pickup.  The bed had lots of patina.  No problem hauling cement blocks around in it.  My Hudson's is all prettied up and I'm afraid to even put anything in it.  Now I have to make a plywood liner to atleast haul my gas cans and light stuff around.   Shame since it's sprung like a 1 ton truck.

Thanks to all of you for the comments. I have not seen anyone finish out wood in a custom truck like this, that is the main reason for doing it. Makes it unique and helps it stand out, also shows people not involved in the hobby/industry the creativity that can go in to building a custom truck. A bunch of custom touches can make the finished product a one of a kind. To answer some of the questions, This truck would not meet AACA judging guidelines  for a lot of reasons. The bed strips would have been steel, and painted black along with the wood.(to my knowledge) The bed strips are made by a company called MACK Products, they will cut them to any size you need, and punch in the square bolt holes where ever you need them. The truck bed I made myself, I drill out the spot welds on the factory stake pockets, remove them from the old bed. Then fab a brand new bed just like the original one. JACK M is right, it is a hard choice on what level to take all aspects of a build/restoration. Value would be the big factor for me, we all know that doing this stuff on our own projects is a labor of love. I try to make choices in the building process that will help the end value. the reality is, that this trucks days of being used as a truck are over. It is now a car with a large open trunk. I do not think that when JACK M is done with the Dodge, he will go and get two yards of gravel with it. This truck will be used to show the type of cars/trucks that I can build. Restored stuff around here is tough, there is not a market for it. You can get a idea of what it will look like finished by looking at it in primer, if any one has other truck beds being built post some pictures.

Cadillac_and_truck_bed_018.JPG

Cadillac_and_truck_bed_020.JPG

Cadillac_and_truck_bed_024.JPG

Cadillac_and_truck_bed_026.JPG

Cadillac_and_truck_bed_027.JPG

hudson_truck_37_coupe_113.JPG

starter_button_hudson_truck_006.JPG

shop_truck_046.JPG

shop_truck_049.JPG

shop_truck_051.JPG