Looking to buy my first classic car!

Guest DrinkMoxie

Guest DrinkMoxie

Hello everyone.

I'm looking into buying my first classic car. I've really interested in a '66-'72 El Camino. I don't presently know a ton about cars right now. Learning to repair and upkeep an older machine like this is a big part of the excitement for me.  I guess I'm looking for some advice because, frankly, I'm a little overwhelmed by the process of looking for a car. I've never had a car buying experience that was more than going to a used car lot and saying "That one". I have to admit I'm pretty excited at the prospect of flying out somewhere and road-tripping my way back home.

I'm looking for a car that can be my regular driver, at least for 3 seasons out of the year. Ideally I'd like to find a car in perfect working order, but that seems a little optimistic. When looking at Caminos, what are some some issues that would be considered "manageable", versus things that would be completely over a beginner's head? I know that mechanical problems are much easier to deal with compared to rust issues. As I understand it, the El Camino shares many parts with the Chevelle, making replacement parts pretty easy to find. I have my some friends and my Old Man to help with any jobs, and a good mechanic for when things get really hairy.

Again I'm looking for a driver and not a show car, although I would like something that would turn some heads. I'm kind of nervous about contacting a potential seller and bascially saying "Hi I'd like to buy this as my first classic car and cut my teeth on it and potentially mess it up". Or is that just me overthinking things?

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Welcome to the AACA Discussion Forum. Where are you located? Hopefully we can find an AACA Region or Chapter near you. Meeting local AACA folks would be the best way to learn more about the hobby and get some good tips on buying your first antique auto.

Guest DrinkMoxie
4 minutes ago, MCHinson said:

Welcome to the AACA Discussion Forum. Where are you located? Hopefully we can find an AACA Region or Chapter near you. Meeting local AACA folks would be the best way to learn more about the hobby and get some good tips on buying your first antique auto.

Oh that totally slipped my mind (Although my name should have been a hint!). I'm in New England, specifically southern NH.

1 hour ago, DrinkMoxie said:

Hello everyone.

I'm looking into buying my first classic car. I've really interested in a '66-'72 El Camino. I don't presently know a ton about cars right now. Learning to repair and upkeep an older machine like this is a big part of the excitement for me.  I guess I'm looking for some advice because, frankly, I'm a little overwhelmed by the process of looking for a car. I've never had a car buying experience that was more than going to a used car lot and saying "That one". I have to admit I'm pretty excited at the prospect of flying out somewhere and road-tripping my way back home.

Well, as a former New Englander, I'll suggest that you should not be looking locally for a car.  You didn't say what your budget is, but buy the best car you can afford and prioritize bodywork over mechanical issues.  Rust repair and paint are expensive to have done (at least done correctly) and require skill and practice to master if you want to do it yourself. Mechanical repairs are comparatively easy and Chevy parts pretty much grow on trees.  A-body cars are popular and many repro items are available. Look to the desert southwest for potential cars.  Unfortunately, the ElCo and Chevelles are popular and will carry a price premium.  Depending on your budget, you might want to consider another A-body like a LeMans or Cutlass. Prices tend to be lower.  Also be aware of flippers who do a half-fast patch up on a rust bucket, slap on resale red paint, and charge way too much for it. If you don't know what to look for, find someone who does to inspect the car. Good luck.

• Like 1

Yes looks like they are getting pricey

00u0u_1FZ9FAtUZ6W_600x450.jpg00U0U_7W9E9ig8bjT_600x450.jpg

1966 El camino - $19500 Hudson, NY

Link - http://westernmass.craigslist.org/cto/5700880163.html

It has had an engine swap, paint, etc

1966 El camino, California car, Original color and interior, 1972 350 motor and turbo 350 trans., Best find, car has been restored. Excellent driver. Trades considered. $19500.00 OBO.

Edited by mike6024 (see edit history)

It looks like the New Hampshire Region may be fairly local for you:

NEW HAMPSHIRE

Granite Region
President - Ken Sommers
264 South Rd
Fremont, NH 03044

I suggest you contact the Region President. It looks like their website is down right now but hopefully you can get in touch with them.

2 hours ago, DrinkMoxie said:

I have to admit I'm pretty excited at the prospect of flying out somewhere and road-tripping my way back home.

My experience says there is often a WORLD of difference between the sellers description and reality. If at all possible buy something within a reasonable drive and look at it personally. Bring a good flash light and magnet. See it sticks to the body especially the rockers and quarters. Get under the car if you can to check the floor and frame. Heavy new undercoating says "run away". Lift the rugs and check the floors. If possible ask here if there is a local knowledgeable person that will accompany you. Guys are usually happy to help.

Most cars of those years were designed to be rust buckets and were. Properly repaired rust is fine. Wadded newspaper and Bondo not so much. Mechanical repairs on a Chevy aren't too bad. Lots of parts availability. Rust repair/paint repair..........$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$...........Good luck........Bob

20G seems to be the mark I've seen for a nice car like the one posted above.  I would try to spend the 20 if you can, and get a pretty nice one all done.   You might get one a little cheaper that needs a little tinkering or finishing but don't settle for a crappy car because you are getting a "deal" on it. 

Good luck.  If i see any listed I'll post them to this thread.  

I seem to remember a pretty nice red one ion the upstate NY area that was for sale.  I think it was even a 4 speed car.  The pictures showed it on a lift with underneath photos and it looked really good underneath. 

• Like 1

Guest DrinkMoxie

Thanks for the replies, everyone!

I should have mentioned it in my first post, but my budget is about 20g. There don't seem to be too many close to me, though I remember seeing an ad for one that was close enough to take for a test drive.

I really appreciate everyone's input, thanks!

16 minutes ago, Bhigdog said:

Properly repaired rust is fine.

The key here is "properly" which can be very expensive to have done, depending on the extent of the rust that requires repair.  It is also difficult to assess the quality of a "proper" repair job, without removing panels, trim, carpeting etc.  In my opinion, the very least in the way of a rust inspection would be the removal of carpeting and the raising of the vehicle on a two-post lift for a close scrutiny of the underside.  A knowledgeable body man would be of great help in your inspection for rust.  It would also be a big help to determine the history of the vehicle.  For example, a vehicle presently located in New England may have spent most of its life in the dry Southwestern U.S.

Other than the usual rust spots ( rockers, floors, fenders etc.), El Caminos were prone to rust at the front floor of the truck bed and around the trim of the rear window.

Joe Padavano, in his Post #4 above, offers excellent advice in my opinion.

Good luck,

Grog

You can find good rust free cars in the North East.  Many have been imported and some are just super clean originals that were well taken care of.  Elcamino's aren't as rare as other vehicles so you will have a few to choose from with a little searching.  I just found a Hudson pickup in my area 3 hours away with some desirable upgrades and a few draw backs but right in my price range.  You should be able to do the same.  Use all the searches you can including searchtempest.  (that is one powerful search engine) Also try the posting a wanted ad route.  That's how I found mine.  It will turn up stuff that's not on the market so you will get an advance notice of it and it will give you some time to make a decision where as a marketed car may sell at any moment.

I would also post on multiple sites and across several craigslists.  Just don't refresh the ads constantly and you won't have to worry about someone getting jealous and flagging you.  

Good luck.

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, DrinkMoxie said:

...I should have mentioned it in my first post, but my budget is about 20g. There don't seem to be too many close to me, though I remember seeing an ad for one that was close enough to take for a test drive.

You might want to start your search by checking "Sold Listings" for El Caminos on Ebay...that will give you a rough idea of what sells for what.  You can also check the various years/equipment on NADA.com for a rough idea of variations in values...for instance, expect a '66-67 SS396 to command a substantial premium over say a base model '72 with a 307.  You might also search for El Camino forums on the internet, and glean a lot of useful information from people who actually own the cars...maybe even find one for sale, or someone who can help you by looking at one.

Just be careful, these cars move all over the country, both good and bad ones. I sold a pair of really rusty (Long Island) 1963 Impalas what I called at the time parts cars to guy in New Mexico about 20 years ago, only to see them both for sale 6 months later as New Mexico cars in Hemming's. The VIN number will have a letter code for which plant it was assembled in. Odds are if it were built in northern plant it did not reside in a southwestern climate for most of it's existence.

The car for $19,500 looked very nice based on what could be seen on those photos, and while some might think it is expensive, they need to remember a good paint job without much metal repair and chrome will cost much more then that.

Good luck and take your time   

Edited by John348 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Be ready to act when you find the right car.  Have the funds readily accessible.  We can all go on about the cars we should have bought.   It's hard to balance out but don't be too anxious while at the same time don't be too hesitant when you find what you think is the right car.  

I looked the Hudson I just bought over for almost 3 hours before pulling the trigger, but I went their with cash in hand and a trailer behind the truck.  That fact alone I think got me an extra 500 off. As a seller it's hard to turn a buyer with cash and a trailer away when you are at a 500 difference especially when you are in the teens to begin with. 

I've cut more than one loose over that difference. 

I would also look at cars up to say 25,000.  that's not far from 20 and most cars have a bit of negotiation room in the price.  Sometimes that extra grand or two gets you a whole lot more desirable car. 

Good luck.  There is alot of fun in the search.  It's great to log on and see cars someone has sent you for sale that you never knew were even available.

7 hours ago, DrinkMoxie said:

Thanks for the replies, everyone!

I should have mentioned it in my first post, but my budget is about 20g. There don't seem to be too many close to me, though I remember seeing an ad for one that was close enough to take for a test drive.

I'm in Wisconsin, you're in New Hampsha........ :P which I trust is as big a rust belt as Wisconsin hence all the more reason to find one outside your area.......preferably the Southwest as mentioned above.

I over paid a bit for a '65 Mustang but it went straight from Detroit to San Diego and beyond there spent it's entire life in the dry Southwest.

There is NOTHING like a RUST FREE car which is the best thing going for it.

I needed to change front strut bushings which, in part, are bolted at the rear. 

I loosened the bolts and turned them out by HAND.

All trucks and car/trucks of the type you are seeking are hot now and likely to stay that way.

If that's what you want GET what you want or you will never be happy........ ;) 

Edited by cahartley (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Welcome to the world of antique cars & trucks.  The AACA is a place that is primarily for stock, as original antique cars.  You may find in your search for a good old  El Camino, that many if them have been modified to personal vehicles.  The Chevrolet drive lines have improved and become performence oriented over time.  Different engines, wheels, tires, paint and body modifications become the standard and the original ones are rare.  The El Camino is a great vehicle, except my wife does nit like the half car half truck design.  I had a 59, then a 79 and still drive my 81 and love the comfort of a car and the utility of a light duty truck.

Here is a link to the El Camino web site/Forum/ads/etc.

http://www.elcaminocentral.com/index.php

Guest DrinkMoxie

I noticed while searching and ebay, craigslist, etc. that a lot of listings lead back to classic car dealerships. Does anyone have any recommendations for particularly good dealerships or, conversely, ones to avoid? Thanks very much.

21 minutes ago, DrinkMoxie said:

I noticed while searching and ebay, craigslist, etc. that a lot of listings lead back to classic car dealerships. Does anyone have any recommendations for particularly good dealerships or, conversely, ones to avoid? Thanks very much.

Most collector cars that I've seen offered by dealers are either poorly patched flippers or overpriced clones of musclecars.  I would be very wary of such dealers.  Bottom line is that the dealer has to make a profit, which means the dealer price will be higher than a private party sale.

Guest DrinkMoxie

Well the search is on. I've got a whole folder of bookmarked cars from all over the place. This might sound like a pretty obvious question but: If a person posts a bunch of photos of the car, and none of them are of the underside or the frame, is that a red flag? I figure it's either that or just a matter of not having the means to get under the car for good photos. Pardon my naivete.

The less someone puts into their advertisement the more worried you need to be.  Also, lots of text about meaningless drivel is another warning sign or possibly just an idiot selling the car.   Low-res photos are another give away.    Wet car in photos means run for the hills.   The ones that make me laugh the hardest is when the guy says "1955 Chevy, call for more details".   Is it a 2 door? is it a 4 door? a convertible, does it run?  Is it located on an island in the Pacific??  Actually I can answer that question right off the bat,  1000 miles away, a rusted out non running 4 door sedan is that the other end of that phone call.

• Like 1

Well the search is on. I've got a whole folder of bookmarked cars from all over the place. This might sound like a pretty obvious question but: If a person posts a bunch of photos of the car, and none of them are of the underside or the frame, is that a red flag? I figure it's either that or just a matter of not having the means to get under the car for good photos. Pardon my naivete.

Based on the above I don't think you're naive....... ;)

You're asking the right questions....... :D 

Yes, that could be a red flag, but not always.  The only circumstance I can think of right off hand that would not necessarily be a red flag, is if the seller is a family member of a deceased owner, and knows little or nothing about the car.  Even if that is the case, the seller should be cooperative in obtaining photos of the underside of the car; if not, that is certainly a red flag.  If the car is local, say within a 25 mile radius, I'd go look at  it without underside photos; however, I would not travel any significant distance to look at a car whose owner was reluctant or supposedly unable to provide photos of the underside of the car.

If the seller is proud of the condition of the underside of his car, then he will definitely arrange to have some good photos taken of the under-side of the car.  If this is the case, underside photos should be provided as a part of the initial advertisement.  If you become serious about buying a particular vehicle, NEVER be shy about requesting more photos of that vehicle.

Happy shopping,

Grog

Guest DrinkMoxie
2 hours ago, capngrog said:

If you become serious about buying a particular vehicle, NEVER be shy about requesting more photos of that vehicle.

Good advice, I'll definitely contact the seller about more photos. The main reason I asked is because of a particular car on eBay. In the description they guy linked to his Google drive that had, no exaggeration, at least 400 photos of the exterior, interior, engine, but not a single one (as far as I can tell, it was a LOT to go through) of the underside.

Also funny story, I contacted a different seller about getting some pics of the DASH in a car and was denied.

So obviously I bought the car sight-unseen from him.

+1 particularly in Florida there are A Lot of estate sales. In fact the best deals are from somebody who did not pay for it and does not want it. Just be prepared to spend either time or money and consider it a learning experience.

Lots of good advice !! But please now that you are a confirmed old car person learn what "Classic Car" means to other old car people. It's an entry level misuse of the description and identifies the {mis} user as a novice in the world of vintage cars. I know everyone here is trying to encourage you as a younger person showing interest, but I always feel it is best to learn the correct terms for all the different types of old cars.  Old car people in general will treat you more as an equal if you know the basics of descriptions and use them correctly.

I like El Camino's a lot myself. At least 50 % of the usefulness of a truck without the size, weight and poor mileage of a truck.  They make a great run around vehicle when in the old car game.

Greg in Canada

Some of the best deals you will ever get are from rotten ads written by people who don't know what they are doing. If they can't spell the car's name get excited. That means anyone doing a search for that car will miss it. In fact if you are looking for a particular car it pays to try misspelling it. If you find one, you could be the only one bidding.

Try Packer or Packerd for Packard, Cadallac or Caddilac for Cadillac, Camero for Camaro etc.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)
  • Like 1

One kind of ad I always ignore it one that does not give a price especially if it says 'call for price' or similar. Those ones are ALWAYS grossly overpriced in my experience.

Similar to one that give a big buildup like ' 1957 Nausee Eight, very rare, one of only 200 built, epitome of the tail fin era,  like the one Elvis drove in that movie, etc etc' without telling you anything about the heap they are selling. Those sellers are always from Jupiter.

18 hours ago, Rusty_OToole said:

Some of the best deals you will ever get are from rotten ads written by people who don't know what they are doing. If they can't spell the car's name get excited. That means anyone doing a search for that car will miss it. In fact if you are looking for a particular car it pays to try misspelling it. If you find one, you could be the only one bidding.

Try Packer or Packerd for Packard, Cadallac or Caddilac for Cadillac, Camero for Camaro etc.

This is true and excellent advice, I always look for Alpha Romeos since lots of flippers and ad copywriters are spelling challenged 

18 hours ago, Rusty_OToole said:

Similar to one that give a big buildup like ' 1957 Nausee Eight, very rare, one of only 200 built, epitome of the tail fin era,  like the one Elvis drove in that movie, etc etc' without telling you anything about the heap they are selling. Those sellers are always from Jupiter.

Yes, this is another topic worthy of its own thread, lame over-hyped ads we have seen.  THE LATEST, which I am not making up: I was just sent an Ebay ad for a nice looking 1964 Catalina featuring ".....the highly desirable and hard-to-find Roto-matic transmission and heavy duty air cleaner...."  Anyone with a 1961-64 Olds or Pontiac can pause for a big laugh at THAT claim, Todd C 

On ‎8‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 8:38 AM, poci1957 said:

Yes, this is another topic worthy of its own thread, lame over-hyped ads we have seen.  THE LATEST, which I am not making up: I was just sent an Ebay ad for a nice looking 1964 Catalina featuring ".....the highly desirable and hard-to-find Roto-matic transmission and heavy duty air cleaner...."  Anyone with a 1961-64 Olds or Pontiac can pause for a big laugh at THAT claim, Todd C 

But isn't that just what Rusty is saying might make a good find?

Someone that doesn't know much?

7 minutes ago, JACK M said:

I think the opposite, in the reference to ads like that he suggests the seller is trying to claim TOO much to build up the car for an inflated price, Todd C  

Edited by poci1957 (see edit history)

Guest Grumpy's Auto Shop
On 8/1/2016 at 1:08 AM, cahartley said:

I forgot to mention........do you have any idea how far a $1000 goes at a body shop?....... :ph34r:

It gets the car into a Bay...

1 hour ago, JACK M said:

It's the overwrought ads where the seller obviously believes he is sitting on a gold mine when in fact he has a mediocre car that is not worth half what he thinks. Those are to be avoided.

Clumsy ads written by sellers who don't know what they are talking about, and obviously don't care about the car and don't put much value on it, may conceal a diamond in the rough or a good car that they are willing to sell cheap. This doesn't happen with every ad but often enough to be interesting.

Dealers make money this way all the time. Buying a neglected car from an owner who doesn't want it. Take a $5000 car, clean it up, wax it, pump up the tires, give it a new battery, a tuneup and fresh gas. Spend $1000 or $2000  then advertise it for $25000.

Knowing that someone who turned up his nose at $5000 and refused to even look at it, will now pay $20,000 for the same car prettied up with a pretty ad.

I would rather buy the dirty car from a lousy ad and save $13000. Others feel different.