Favorite Pictures of My Pre War Buick

MrEarl

1 hour ago, Lawrence Helfand said:

Hi Grant, Skirts come up regularly on ebay. Might even be a set up now.  Make sure you find a pair with the lower trim as this is a bit hard to find. The shorter spears are again a frequent item found on ebay. I have an extra set laying around myself .

Thanks Lawrence, I had seen a set while sniffing online. What do you mean by "shorter spears"?

16 minutes ago, Grant Z said:

Thanks Neil, I had seen that while sniffing online. I assume that piece of trim (1 is missing from this set I notice) should always be there?

I'm actually talking about the little piece between the skirt and the trim on the rocker molding.  You can see it in this photo.  It was part of the trim on the cars that came from the factory with skirts, but is missing on a lot of cars where people added skirts later.  It is basically made of "unobtainium."  ?

2036523235_skirt(2)_LI.thumb.jpg.010fc05948aba63cb1f6afa9283deddf.jpg

The shorter spears is a reference to the spears that go on the the skirts -- I believe they are 21" instead of the 24" versions that go on the fender.

• Like 1

Hi Grant, As Neil mentions there is a 3 inch difference between spear sets but I have seen both lengths used on cars and do not know what determined usage. My Century came with the 24's which are harder to find and more prone to the tips breaking as they often lift some off the fender and get caught on cleaning rags etc.. Those small stainless stone guard trim pieces do come up on EBAY but one must be careful as they made them differently depending on model but they do appear on ebay with some regularity. That said I have seen many restored cars without them and they can be tricky to fit often looking a bit off on most cars I have seen them mounted on with gap and alignment issues. They do continue the line of stainless along the bottom but looks fine without them to my eye. I have skirts on a shelf to go with car when sold but really am not sold on the look and dont intend to mount them. So many I have seen mounted dont scribe well and usually gap along the rear curve of the fender so they can be fussy to fit correctly. Personal taste really. 

7 hours ago, Lawrence Helfand said:

Hi Grant, As Neil mentions there is a 3 inch difference between spear sets but I have seen both lengths used on cars and do not know what determined usage. My Century came with the 24's which are harder to find and more prone to the tips breaking as they often lift some off the fender and get caught on cleaning rags etc.. Those small stainless stone guard trim pieces do come up on EBAY but one must be careful as they made them differently depending on model but they do appear on ebay with some regularity. That said I have seen many restored cars without them and they can be tricky to fit often looking a bit off on most cars I have seen them mounted on with gap and alignment issues. They do continue the line of stainless along the bottom but looks fine without them to my eye. I have skirts on a shelf to go with car when sold but really am not sold on the look and dont intend to mount them. So many I have seen mounted dont scribe well and usually gap along the rear curve of the fender so they can be fussy to fit correctly. Personal taste really. 

Lawrence, I greatly appreciate you taking the time to respond. I have much to learn. This is all useful information and I appreciate it very much. I don't have the small length of trim on the fender stone guard anyway. I would like a set of skirts. When you say "spear sets", do you mean the piece mounted in the middle of the skirt? I assume I would have to move mine from the rear part of the fender to the skirt?

Those small stone guard trim bits were only used when skirts were mounted. The double spear trim you have would be removed and mounted on the skirt. You will likely have a hole to fill if on your car the skirt does not cover the rear mounting hole of the spear set now removed. Its like that on my Century but perhaps different on your car. Would then require filling hole and touching up paint. Not a problem if its easily blended lacquer finish. Also that back up light is not correct and it would be a smaller bullet shaped light easily found on EBAY. Wondering if those modern amber lights on rear bumper are turn signals? You do have turn signals built in to your rear lights already. Happy to help out mate! Cheers Lawrence

14 hours ago, Lawrence Helfand said:

Those small stone guard trim bits were only used when skirts were mounted. The double spear trim you have would be removed and mounted on the skirt. You will likely have a hole to fill if on your car the skirt does not cover the rear mounting hole of the spear set now removed. Its like that on my Century but perhaps different on your car. Would then require filling hole and touching up paint. Not a problem if its easily blended lacquer finish. Also that back up light is not correct and it would be a smaller bullet shaped light easily found on EBAY. Wondering if those modern amber lights on rear bumper are turn signals? You do have turn signals built in to your rear lights already. Happy to help out mate! Cheers Lawrence

Lawrence (my helpful friend ?),

are those small stone guard trim pieces difficult to find (I suspect so)?

I suspected exactly as you have stated re moving the double-spear trim and filling a hole (or 2) after mounting skirts.

The back-up light and the spotlights I suspected were not correct. Dale (who imported & converted the car in 1989 and I've met up with him and purchased parts) said "old Jack" (who he sold the car to and who died in 2007) loved the jewellery and purchased after market parts and put little 'Buick' badges on top to make them look 'official'.

That back-up light looks quite large to what I'm used to seeing on the Chevy lowriders online. Is the image I've attached the correct backup light?

Yes the yellow lights are turn-signals (we call them 'blinkers' in Australia). We are now allowed to have the flashing brake lights like you Americans do even though no new car produced in Australia has ever been produced with that. Flashing brake lights would not have been allowed back in 1989 here in Australia. I'd like to set up the flashing brake lights or a much more discreet turn signal.

Screenshot_2018-10-03 1946 1947 1948 Chevrolet GM Guide Accessory Back up Light eBay.png

On ‎5‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 10:20 PM, Morgan Wright said:

Here's my picture. It's a video actually. 1940 Special.

Morgan ... I loved the video. You have a great sense of humor! Your sometimes casual attitude towards working with an old car is refreshing. A while back I featured a link to your YouTube video on our club website. Members liked it. Keep the good stuff coming!

Edited by Roadmaster71 (see edit history)

Hello Grant, Some day I hope to make the trip down there as I have quite a close mate in Tassie ... I just came across this skirt set very reasonably priced with no reserve.  Unfortunately as you know shipping to you is $$$ but if no one bids this would be a bargain price for a pair.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1941-Buick-Fender-Skirts-Pair/273490571110?hash=item3fad4eef66:g:fOoAAOSwgYlboTDv&vxp=mtr

Cheers Mate, Lawrence

7 hours ago, neil morse said:

I'm working on faux-vintage snapshots of my '41.  Here's my latest effort.

westlake1b.thumb.jpg.ae9b34fe46e6d3b83d5fe628dd9db9b0.jpg

That looks fabulous Neil. The colour (that's how we spell color here in Oz) of your car is superb.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lawrence Helfand said:

Hello Grant, Some day I hope to make the trip down there as I have quite a close mate in Tassie ... I just came across this skirt set very reasonably priced with no reserve.  Unfortunately as you know shipping to you is $$$ but if no one bids this would be a bargain price for a pair.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1941-Buick-Fender-Skirts-Pair/273490571110?hash=item3fad4eef66:g:fOoAAOSwgYlboTDv&vxp=mtr

Cheers Mate, Lawrence

Lawrence, so you have a mate (not many American use that term) in Tassie?

Yes I've been watching that set of skirts. Freight is no issue for me as I know several importers based here who always have containers coming with cars. Their prices are very cheap (they usually charge me nothing anyway), but you do have to wait several weeks or a couple of months.

Hi Grant, Funny but unless you have a mate in Tassie Americans would never hear it called that or any of the other odd twists on the english language you use. This making riddles of english seems to be a national hobby down under. Richo lives in Hobart and I dream of visiting that beautiful island. He had been to visit me in Brooklyn New York some years ago and we had a blast riding Italian motorcycles and eating like pigs as the variety of foods we have available was quite seductive for him. Hope its beginning to warm up a bit there but last pics I saw indicated you had a bit of snow this winter. Will let you know if I make plans to visit in the future!  Kind Regards Lawrence

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Lawrence Helfand said:

Hi Grant, Funny but unless you have a mate in Tassie Americans would never hear it called that or any of the other odd twists on the english language you use. This making riddles of english seems to be a national hobby down under. Richo lives in Hobart and I dream of visiting that beautiful island. He had been to visit me in Brooklyn New York some years ago and we had a blast riding Italian motorcycles and eating like pigs as the variety of foods we have available was quite seductive for him. Hope its beginning to warm up a bit there but last pics I saw indicated you had a bit of snow this winter. Will let you know if I make plans to visit in the future!  Kind Regards Lawrence

Yes us Aussies have certainly mangled the English language seriously. On my several trips to the USA, after several weeks my wife & I may be in a supermarket and hear another Aussie ranting and we both cringe - and them realise we probably sound just like that to all Americans. Embarrassed! I highly recommend watching this hilarious YouTube clip on Aussie lingo (language).

2 hours ago, Lawrence Helfand said:

What a Hoot! Didna hear my most oft used autmo brevey...Carbie! Cheers Mate! 

Yes it's hilarious indeed. I'm not sure we can call ourselves 'English speaking' after that. Cheers Mate!

i dont know about favorite, but most current atleast, and was great to see it outside for the first time since January. Had to shuffle a few cars around at the shop and I was wanting to spin my Century around to make working on the passenger side a bit more convenient. I am mostly done with sheet metal work on the driver side, with the exception of an area in behind the front fenders, I just need to clear a safe spot to store those giant things

20181007_171036.thumb.jpg.7c813ff6c1f9e5c0b38804fe14ce607c.jpg

Edited by Stooge (see edit history)
  • Like 4

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 12/11/2018 at 3:59 AM, Morgan Wright said:

The only time we use the word "mate" in America is when two animals breed. They mate. And maybe a matching sock.

Men are not mates here. They are not lads, and they are not chaps, or blokes. And they are not bloody this or that.

Grouch!

Ben

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tom_S said:

My 1936 Buick originally purchased new by my Grandfather.  Kinda faded like the fall leaves and me!

Tom

Buick fall photo.jpg

Tom, nice `36, I have a 3 w/coupe that was completely disassembled when I bought it. I`m missing the front tag mount/bracket. Could you take a close up picture of yours and post it. I have that exact same grille guard I`m thinking of using. 

On 12/11/2018 at 8:29 PM, Morgan Wright said:

The only time we use the word "mate" in America is when two animals breed. They mate. And maybe a matching sock.

Men are not mates here. They are not lads, and they are not chaps, or blokes. And they are not bloody this or that.

Sorry Morgan Wright, but I'm an Australian and Lawrence Helfand and I were obviously speaking with each other within the context of the Australian culture (which Lawrence clearly understands).

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, pont35cpe said:

Tom, nice `36, I have a 3 w/coupe that was completely disassembled when I bought it. I`m missing the front tag mount/bracket. Could you take a close up picture of yours and post it. I have that exact same grille guard I`m thinking of using. 

Sent you a message to contact me at my email and I will send you photos

Tom

6 hours ago, Grant Z said:

Sorry Morgan Wright, but I'm an Australian and Lawrence Helfand and I were obviously speaking with each other within the context of the Australian culture (which Lawrence clearly understands).

Grant, I, for one, see no reason you need to apologize! This IS a world wide board. A world wide hobby.  Some folks just get their "knickers in a twist". 

Ben

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just wanted to share a picture of this Buick. A participant at the 2018 Concourse held at Boca. This is part of Guy Lewis collection in Pinecrest, Florida which I had the opportunity  to visit last night as part of our AACA South Fl. Chapter meeting. Was able to see just a section of his great collection. Thanks Guy for opening your garage!

EF944BBF-5F99-45A1-8550-117380681E53.jpeg

15DBF8A4-CB04-4C35-B025-82807B21A49E.jpeg

• Like 3

Wow that is spectacular. Thanks for sharing. I know a guy here in Australia who has a 1918 Buick roadster, and is restoring a much earlier one also (1910? I think). I hope to visit him in a couple of weeks so may get some pics for you.

• 1 month later...

On last weeks HCCA/AACA tour in Kingston, On we had three Model 31 touring cars on tour.  All three performed well and finished five days of driving city streets and county roads, including a gas light parade.

Regards, Gary

DSC_1426.JPG

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The first 3 pics are Curtis Lumber car show in Ballston Spa, NY, I won best unrestored vehicle out of 427 cars:

48705453348_3f2625b5ce_o.jpg

48705783231_ae744827f8_o.jpg

48705950857_4db288aa7a_o.jpg

The next pics are from the day before, at Goldstein Buick in Albany, NY. In this pic are Alan Goldstein and his daughter Stephanie. They gave me the top prize of the whole show, out of 75 cars, the President's Award!

Goldstein.JPG

Goldtein2.JPG

Goldtein3.JPG

DSCN3327.JPG

DSCN3328.JPG

Below is the "best unrestored" trophy from the Curtis Lumber show. 

Screenshot (42).png

Edited by Morgan Wright (see edit history)
  • Like 5

• 5 weeks later...